The MMA thread

Luke1995

Mckee is a fantastic striker, a legit submission threat, well spoken, charismatic, and appears to be willing to move up and down between divisions

I think i've just found my new favorite fighter... as long as Ngannou is out. Francis is something else... but Mckee is right up there!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Round cage makes more sense than an octagon. Bellator doesn’t want to start a wage battle with the UFC, but if they change their mind about that it would change everything

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Round cage makes more sense than an octagon. Bellator doesn’t want to start a wage battle with the UFC, but if they change their mind about that it would change everything
You talking about Khabib coming back to fight in Bellator? Don’t think it ever happens to be honest.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
You talking about Khabib coming back to fight in Bellator? Don’t think it ever happens to be honest.
I'm talking about Khabib taking his fighters to Bellator, and Bellator taking over as top MMA competition.

Luke1995

Rockhold was dealing with bad injuries towards the end of his last run. Big issues with his shin I think.

A fully healthy and motivated Luke is another beast. But of course, there's a certain issue with his chin...so you never know.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rockhold was dealing with bad injuries towards the end of his last run. Big issues with his shin I think.

A fully healthy and motivated Luke is another beast. But of course, there's a certain issue with his chin...so you never know.
The chin would be a concern. As would the fact that he's only fought 4 times in 5 years, 3 of which resulted in him getting KO'd. His last notable win was against Weidman in 2015.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The chin would be a concern. As would the fact that he's only fought 4 times in 5 years, 3 of which resulted in him getting KO'd. His last notable win was against Weidman in 2015.
Hopefully we get another addition to the "Luke Rockhold getting KO'd" highlights package.

Luke1995

Is there any way to recover a chin who has taken heavy blows ?

With all the technology and medical care out there for UFC fighters, that's the only body part that i've never seen them get it back to what it once was.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

With all the technology and medical care out there for UFC fighters, that's the only body part that i've never seen them get it back to what it once was.
The problem with Rockhold is he stagnated after the Bisping fight. The humiliation of not just losing to Bisping, but losing the way he did, seemed to permanently alter his confidence and career trajectory. He just hasn't been the same fighter since the loss....and now at 36, isn't likely to regain the momentum he once had at 30. He will probably be resigned to gliding into retirement with random card filler fights until he loses a couple more, at which time Dana will cut him.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It’s not literally his chin that’s the problem. It’s his brain and how susceptible it is to concusssion. And that’s a body part we already know can never properly regenerate or repair. So there won’t ever be a way to “fix” it for fighters.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

At one time Overeem had Antonio's hamstrings as a chin but towards the back end of his career, it seemed to get better.

Garbrandt also nearly became no-chin but withstood a fair amount of damage in his last fight.

I think it needs proper rest to recover it but that's just a guess.

Luke1995

The problem with Rockhold is he stagnated after the Bisping fight. The humiliation of not just losing to Bisping, but losing the way he did, seemed to permanently alter his confidence and career trajectory. He just hasn't been the same fighter since the loss....and now at 36, isn't likely to regain the momentum he once had at 30. He will probably be resigned to gliding into retirement with random card filler fights until he loses a couple more, at which time Dana will cut him.
The Yoel one was nasty aswell. No one has been the same after fighting Yoel...

Luke1995

It’s not literally his chin that’s the problem. It’s his brain and how susceptible it is to concusssion. And that’s a body part we already know can never properly regenerate or repair. So there won’t ever be a way to “fix” it for fighters.
That raises another question: Are concussions suffered in MMA more dangerous for long term health than those suffered in boxing ?

At first look, boxing would seem to be a more dangerous sport for the brain, but it appears that in MMA, fighters take way more shots to the head.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That raises another question: Are concussions suffered in MMA more dangerous for long term health than those suffered in boxing ?

At first look, boxing would seem to be a more dangerous sport for the brain, but it appears that in MMA, fighters take way more shots to the head.
I heard the opposite. Boxers take much more blows to the head. Plus the heavier gloves do more damage to the brain (even though they do less superficial damage). When you think about it, the ten count in boxing is pretty mad. Allowing someone who is obviously concussed enough time to recover and get concussed again.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I'm not 100% on this so don't quote me but I remember reading somewhere that due to the bigger gloves, boxers take a lot more shots to the head, the kind of shots that would probably wobble an MMA fighter. So the boxing matches last longer and they absorb many more shots to the head. Bare Knuckle, as barbaric as it looks, apparently ends far quicker than boxing or MMA so the fighters take the least head damage.

Luke1995

I heard the opposite. Boxers take much more blows to the head. Plus the heavier gloves do more damage to the brain (even though they do less superficial damage). When you think about it, the ten count in boxing is pretty mad. Allowing someone who is obviously concussed enough time to recover and get concussed again.
Sure, man. Are boxing referees allowed to stop the fight like MMA referees ? Or are they forced to allow the ten count

Paxi

Is Conor making fun of Mike Tyson with the first line ? :confused:
I think that he’s maybe trying to make a point about people talking a lot of shit. Like Mike said some nasty shit and it was just entertainment but now Conor brings family into it and it’s off limits. Double standards. That’s what I got from it. Or maybe he actually might want to eat Khabibs kids — coke will do that to you.

Paxi

When is AJ McKee contract up in Bellator. Would love him in the lightweight devision. As it wasn’t already stacked!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah I just heard it. Loved a bit about him being disappointed with Conor. That’s got to hurt. :lol:
Yeah it was basically 14 minutes of wumming Conor on Tyson's podcast, all due to Cejudo briging it up. I can see how this sort of thing would infuriate Conor. :lol:

Paxi

Yeah it was basically 14 minutes of wumming Conor on Tyson's podcast, all due to Cejudo briging it up. I can see how this sort of thing would infuriate Conor. :lol:
I know. Must be so infuriating being beaten convincingly by him. There is nothing that Conor can say to Khabib after calling him blue lips and then telling him it’s only business in the octagon. It must really hurt his ego. Although his vast fortune helps to ease the pain I’m sure.