The MMA thread

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Looking forward to the card this weekend. Hill vs Torres, luque vs chiesa and Aldo vs Munoz are potential fight of the night. Both guys in the main event seem likable as well.

Luke1995

Please educate me - Does knockout power comes from the bones in the hand or from the muscle fibres ?

I've always wondered why a guy like Jon Jones, who has a huge body frame, can't knock people out.

But guys of similar size to him, like Lewis, Ngannou and Wilder, have that power that Jones is missing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Please educate me - Does knockout power comes from the bones in the hand or from the muscle fibres ?

I've always wondered why a guy like Jon Jones, who has a huge body frame, can't knock people out.

But guys of similar size to him, like Lewis, Ngannou and Wilder, have that power that Jones is missing.
Jones has never prioritized KO power in his arsenal, mainly because he has so many weapons to choose from that he never really needed it.

In boxing, much of the power comes from punching through the opponent (as opposed to having your punches bounce off, which yields less power), as shown by Canelo here. He inflicts incredible pain on his opponents (most recently Billy Joe Saunders) with this technique.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It comes from technique, balance, speed and the mass behind the hit. It's a combination of all these things.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Gane looks far too relaxed to lose
The total opposite to someone like Angela Hill, who gets overexcited and squanders every big fight she has. Expecting the Tiny Tornado to beat her again tonight.

Yeah, it's Gane's fight to lose. I think it's gonna play out just like the Jairzinho fight. As long as he doesn't go crazy chasing the KO, almost zero chance he loses.

Interesting to see that the betting market is favouring a Gane KO before a Lewis KO. I can see it for sure. If JDS can stop the black beast, so does Gane.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The total opposite to someone like Angela Hill, who gets overexcited and squanders every big fight she has. Expecting the Tiny Tornado to beat her again tonight.

Yeah, it's Gane's fight to lose. I think it's gonna play out just like the Jairzinho fight. As long as he doesn't go crazy chasing the KO, almost zero chance he loses.

Interesting to see that the betting market is favouring a Gane KO before a Lewis KO. I can see it for sure. If JDS can stop the black beast, so does Gane.
he certainly has the game to win. I predict Lewis goes all out to finish him early so it might be good for Gane to try to get top position and survives the boos early then go to work maintaining distance and getting his strikes in when Derrick loses a bit of gas.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Haven't liked Lewis since that Blaydes knockout. I don't care what the rules are, those two follow-up shots were scummy.

Hopefully Gane makes shit of him.

Luke1995

Jones has never prioritized KO power in his arsenal, mainly because he has so many weapons to choose from that he never really needed it.

In boxing, much of the power comes from punching through the opponent (as opposed to having your punches bounce off, which yields less power), as shown by Canelo here. He inflicts incredible pain on his opponents (most recently Billy Joe Saunders) with this technique.

Wow that's incredible!

I'll assume that maybe the much bigger gloves in boxing also help increase the power. Then when you throw it with perfect technique like that...

Canelo appears to be the perfect combination of KO power and technical skill. Somewhat of a boxing Khabib, if you will. He lost to Floyd but other than that, really perfect.

Luke1995

It comes from technique, balance, speed and the mass behind the hit. It's a combination of all these things.
Thanks. Will be awesome to watch tonight's fights looking for that. Aldo X Munhoz should have alot of exchanges in the pocket although I can see Aldo playing a kickboxing game from range.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wow that's incredible!

I'll assume that maybe the much bigger gloves in boxing also help increase the power. Then when you throw it with perfect technique like that...

Canelo appears to be the perfect combination of KO power and technical skill. Somewhat of a boxing Khabib, if you will. He lost to Floyd but other than that, really perfect.
Yeah I think the glove size difference between MMA and boxing makes it easier to use the sort of shots Canelo uses. You don't see it as often in the UFC, but when its used, it can be incredibly effective such as what Stipe did to DC. He was losing the fight until he started resorting to boxing style body shots which literally turned the fight around and allowed him to win.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

:lol:
:lol:

Yeah I think the glove size difference between MMA and boxing makes it easier to use the sort of shots Canelo uses. You don't see it as often in the UFC, but when its used, it can be incredibly effective such as what Stipe did to DC. He was losing the fight until he started resorting to boxing style body shots which literally turned the fight around and allowed him to win.

Aldo throws some vicious body shots. Hopefully he can land a few tonight.