The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Holy shit! Great matchmaking. Jack gets to fight a top 10 guy, and a good stylistic test against a strong grappler too.

More than makes up for this setback:

I was looking forward to that fight as it was guaranteed violence and I'm a fan of Figueiredo despite him being a bit of a tool. Realistically though he's probably on the decline, shouldn't be fighting at flyweight anymore, and is likely too dependent on a strength and size advantage to do well at bantam.
What a bummer. I like Figgy too. Hopefully his eye gets better soon and the fight is rescheduled. .

Yeah he is in that tough spot fighters get with age. Either keep cutting extreme amounts of weight with more and more negative consequences, or just move up and try his luck with the bigger guys. (Faber came out yesterday saying that Figgy thinks he can do at least 3 more fights at FW before moving up mmmm)

ps. Goblin Figueiredo meme will always be goated :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
What a bummer. I like Figgy too. Hopefully his eye gets better soon and the fight is rescheduled. .

Yeah he is in that tough spot fighters get with age. Either keep cutting extreme amounts of weight with more and more negative consequences, or just move up and try his luck with the bigger guys. (Faber came out yesterday saying that Figgy thinks he can do at least 3 more fights at FW before moving up mmmm)

ps. Goblin Figueiredo meme will always be goated :lol:
:lol: :lol: How have I never seen that before? Magnificent!

Carolina Red

Staff
Really pulling hard for Cejudo. Dude is a legend in the wrestling world.

If you wanna listen to a great podcast where he talks about his (very hard) upbringing and life up through his Olympic gold medal then give Wrestling Changed My Life: The Henry Cejudo Experiment a listen. It’s amazing.

*sometimes the calendar is hard

Last edited:

George Owen

Really pulling hard for Cejudo tonight. Dude is a legend in the wrestling world.

If you wanna listen to a great podcast where he talks about his (very hard) upbringing and life up through his Olympic gold medal then give Wrestling Changed My Life: The Henry Cejudo Experiment a listen. It’s amazing.
Next Saturday.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

:lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

:lol: I must listen to that. I really like Cejudo. I find the cringe angle he plays funny and harmless, and he's clearly a very smart, thoughtful guy when he speaks more seriously.

George Owen

Damn. Been reading the date of this fight wrong the whole damn time :lol:
:lol:

I fly next Thursday to NYC and wanted to go to the fights, but over USD $700 for two tickets in the furthest seats of the arena?

fecking ticketmaster allows the re-selling of their tickets in their own site, and charges commission again!!! how the feck is that allowed... what level of capitalism is that?

Anyways. Great match up and I'm pumped.

The fight IQ, speed, kickboxing/wrestling of Cejudo vs the strength, size/reach and grappling of Sterling.

Outside of Sterling somehow backpacking Cejudo, doesn't look like he has many paths to victory? Or am I underrating Sterling's long and unorthodox striking?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Song finishes Simon with a sweet left hook and then some ground and pound. Was tuning him up most of the fight.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Alvarez beat Mendes too, who retired post-fight.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So who we got tonight lads?

The king of cringe and Olympic gold medalist Cejudo? Or the master of funk and academy award winning Aljo?

I kinda want the little guy to do it :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So who we got tonight lads?

The king of cringe and Olympic gold medalist Cejudo? Or the master of funk and academy award winning Aljo?

I kinda want the little guy to do it :lol:
Aljo by RNC
Lay-off and Aljo’s size will prove too much for Cejudo

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I thought Sterling did barely enough to win. It was close though, and in such circumstances, the burden is always on the challenger to do a bit more to convince judges in 50/50 situations. Cejudo did a bit better than expected to be retired for 3 years then suddenly come back and nearly regain the belt from a dominant champion.

NM

I thought Sterling did barely enough to win. It was close though, and in such circumstances, the burden is always on the challenger to do a bit more to convince judges in 50/50 situations. Cejudo did a bit better than expected to be retired for 3 years then suddenly come back and nearly regain the belt from a dominant champion.
Agree. I think Sterling (wrongly) thought he had it in the bag and cruised in the 5th. Similarly, Cejudo cruised end of the 1st and lost that round for no reason..

It was a close fight but Aljo won (despite me not liking him tbh).. Now I hope he smokes O'Malley. Hate the fighters getting "Dana White privelige"

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just had a look at UFC 290 lineups on July 8th and apparently Rob Whitaker vs DuPlessis is on the prelims. WTF UFC :lol:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Just had a look at UFC 290 lineups on July 8th and apparently Rob Whitaker vs DuPlessis is on the prelims. WTF UFC :lol:
That must be a mistake
Yeah surely, where did you see this? I'd be highly surprised if it isn't before the co-main.

For such an overall smart organisation, the UFC are really quite dumb at times though with their scheduling.

Like why would you put Bo Nickal on the main card behind the PPV wall?

You've got a guy who's one of the greatest collegiate wrestlers of all-time, viral knockout in his 1st pro fight, 2 quick dominant finishes on DWCS - there was a lot of hype around him but guaranteed for all the people that had heard his name before he made his UFC debut, most people would have never have actually seen him fight or even wrestle.

So probably makes sense to put him as the last fight on the prelims and get as many eyeballs on him as possible so people can see what all the fuss is about, no? Nope - let's stick on the main card where far less people are watching! People want to see him fight for sure, but nobody is buying the card because he's on it - so makes zero sense to me.

Last edited: