The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
@.Rossi

:D

have you ever been in a street fight? that's a scary situation to be in...

but fighting with a referee and rules in an octagon, against just another human being just like you, and for a shitload of money?

i would!

i would be sincerely scared to fight a guy like Miocic though.

But Dominique Cruz for example? hell yeah.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Realistically though, you'd have to be in full time training for the fight to be allowed. Think Punk was waiting two years before he was finally able to go through with the fight? Not like it's a 50k bonus on top of whatever else you do.

Doesn't seem worth it when you risk getting your skull caved in a la Cyborg Santos. Think I'd stick with an office job and avoid those medical bills....
If I got in the ring, I'd be like "put the baseball bat down, send the heavies away....It's just me and you, stripped to the waist, skin on skin, to the death"

If CM Punk wants to fight me, I will unleash hell

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
@.Rossi

:D

have you ever been in a street fight? that's a scary situation to be in...

but fighting with a referee and rules in an octagon, against just another human being just like you, and for a shitload of money?

i would!

i would be sincerely scared to fight a guy like Miocic though.

But Dominique Cruz for example? hell yeah.
Sorry :D Wasn't having a pop, just wanted an excuse to use that gif :D

Unfortunately I've been in many fights. For an absolute fraud like me, it's a ridiculous statistic.

Course, you'd jump at the chance. Anyone would and should. Experience of a lifetime if nowt else.*

*Depends on who the guy is though :D

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Realistically though, you'd have to be in full time training for the fight to be allowed. Think Punk was waiting two years before he was finally able to go through with the fight?
Two years, imagine building up to a moment for two whole years of your life, and then putting on possibly the worst showing in a UFC ring ever.

George Owen

Two years, imagine building up to a moment for two whole years of your life, and then putting on possibly the worst showing in a UFC ring ever.
hardly the worse!

Robbie Lawler vs Woodley.. Aldo vs Conor...

and those were champions. A bad night happens to the best, it happens to everybody.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You'd think he'd at least have learned how to throw a better punch in two years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
hardly the worse!

Robbie Lawler vs Woodley.. Aldo vs Conor...

and those were champions. A bad night happens to the best, it happens to everybody.
Lawler and Aldo have been knocked out, it happens. When CM Punk ground game and strike technique were ridiculous, he was clearly out of place.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'd say Zingano vs Rousey is up there as most embarrassing performances. The difference is all those fighters have done plenty of good stuff in mma too. This might very well be the only time punk competes so it's a bit worse imo.

Rick88

i would let Miesha Tate take me down and work me from top to bottom.

something like this
It's called the North-South position. I was about to post about the same before you spoke about it.

North-South by Meisha Tate or PVZ. Or just stuck in her guard. I'll be happiest guy around.

Also Werdum came across as pretty cool in his post match conference.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'd fight anyone in the ufc for $500,000.

If it's someone like Cruz, Maia, Gunni etc then I'd give it a real go and get beat but against someone like Rumble, I'd tap out before he even gets a chance to run up to me. Maybe even a verbal tap out.

Deleted member 101472

just had this chat on a conference call with a fellow MMA fan, but how do people think Bruce Lee would have fared in the UFC?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
just had this chat on a conference call with a fellow MMA fan, but how do people think Bruce Lee would have fared in the UFC?
Are we sticking peak Bruce Lee into the UFC with his then skill-set or are we talking about a Bruce Lee born today and raised/coached in the modern era?

Deleted member 101472

Are we sticking peak Bruce Lee into the UFC with his then skill-set or are we talking about a Bruce Lee born today and raised/coached in the modern era?
Peak Bruce lee with his no set style approach.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I prefer K-1, can't stand all the fannying about on the ground and grappling.

George Owen

Its all pre-negotiated. Overreem is a legendary MMA fighter who can probably command big money on PPV cards.
speaking of negotiations, Fedor got ripped off pretty good fighting those Affliction fights. (well, 600k for less than 2 minutes of fighting still pretty good)

Fedor Emelianenko ($300,000 with no win bonus) def. Andrei Arlovski ($1,500,000)
Fedor Emelianenko ($300,000/no win bonus) def. Tim Sylvia ($800,000)

hard to tell. Impossible maybe...

He would be fighting small guys like Dominique Cruz or Urijah Faber.

If his ground game was decent (he teach and learned from Judo masters, so it was probably very good) i think he could have done pretty good. He obviously had natural talent on his side, the mental strength, the intelligence... he was way ahead of his time, so i don't think he would have struggle to adapt to modern MMA.

Now, if he had crossed roads with Helio and Carlos Gracie, who knows what could have borne of those interactions. the ultimate killing machine.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd fight anyone in the ufc for $500,000.

If it's someone like Cruz, Maia, Gunni etc then I'd give it a real go and get beat but against someone like Rumble, I'd tap out before he even gets a chance to run up to me. Maybe even a verbal tap out.
:lol:

I'm not sure you'd get your purse for that... :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have to say that I fail to understand these questions. Bruce Lee was practicing a different discipline with different rules and different purposes. So unless he decided to actually train for UFC fights and therefore adapt his mindset and techniques for the UFC, he would have been disadvantaged. To me it's a bit like asking if the best Rugby League team could compete and perform in the NFL.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That feels like a downgrade to what was originally scheduled I feel. Of course, not many alternatives would be better than Lawler...

Just heard about The Miz and Dolph Zeeglar mocking CM Punk on WWE? Do they not realize how stupid that makes them look?

paulscholes18

That feels like a downgrade to what was originally scheduled I feel. Of course, not many alternatives would be better than Lawler...

Just heard about The Miz and Dolph Zeeglar mocking CM Punk on WWE? Do they not realize how stupid that makes them look?
Not the 1st time WWE have done it, Cm Punk & Daniel Bryan mocked Anderson Silva V Chael Sonnen

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
How could cm punk get a fight into ufc? Really. And in an main card. I know it's about the money but come on. The guy sucks.