g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought it was a great UFC. The mix of fights was really interesting, as well as the WWE component with Punk and the Werdum/Tarvrdyan handbags.

MoneyMay

Surprised Tarverdyan hasn't been banned from coming into the Octagon yet. What a prick.

Some quick thoughts on the main event. I thought it was underwhelming, though I understand I'm in the minority. Overeem fought in the manner I expected him to - and that's with him circling around his opponent, though he ran more in this fight, and then look to throw a punch/kick in the "right" moment. It failed this time because Miocic did a very good job at cutting him off. Which led to Overeem with his hands down (bizarre tactic but it looked like he was hurt and subsequently gassed) against the cage, an area he didn't want to be near. Even when he was up against the cage, it looked like he was looking for a clinch but he failed. Credit to Miocic. He showed Nate Diaz how to deal with fighters running away. Oh, and he's a likeable guy.

Outremangeur

If I compare Overeem now to the Overeem to USADA the difference is doing my head in!

How much you can change a human being with drugs is staggering.
Im still laughing at that interview where he talked about it just being a genetical thing with him.

Oggmonster

That punch he throws is hilarious. He was so bad it's funny. I thought fairp lay he has balls to go in there but pretty much anyone could of done what he did really. Guy just benefitted from being a big name in the entertainment industry and having a shit ton of money.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its all funny when its reduced to an animated gif but consider the intense emotion this guy must've been going through. He's not a professional fighter and is yet on the main card of a UFC event.

Oggmonster

Its all funny when its reduced to an animated gif but consider the intense emotion this guy must've been going through. He's not a professional fighter and is yet on the main card of a UFC event.
He spent pretty much most the press conferences/build up saying he wasn't arsed about the pressure and can handle it so I dunno if that really matters a great deal. He was just a bit shit and way out of his depth really.

People will laugh and take the piss as well, he put himself on a platform and got shown up hugely.

I haven't seen WWE in years (I never saw CM Punk at all before UFC) but what I saw I didn't mind the guy in the build up...still I couldn't help but find it slightly funny how the whole fight went down.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He spent pretty much most the press conferences/build up saying he wasn't arsed about the pressure and can handle it so I dunno if that really matters a great deal. He was just a bit shit and way out of his depth really.

People will laugh and take the piss as well, he put himself on a platform and got shown up hugely.

I haven't seen WWE in years (I never saw CM Punk at all before UFC) but what I saw I didn't mind the guy in the build up...still I couldn't help but find it slightly funny how the whole fight went down.
That's all fight hype. You can't escape the pressure when you have never fought before and suddenly find yourself infront of a professional fighter in the Octagon infront of millions. Punk is a champ for even having the balls to attempt something like this.

Oggmonster

That's all fight hype. You can't escape the pressure when you have never fought before and suddenly find yourself infront of a professional fighter in the Octagon infront of millions. Punk is a champ for even having the balls to attempt something like this.
But people often eat their words on fight hype. Look at when McGregor tapped out to Diaz, people took the piss of him cos of all the stuff he came out with before about people turning into wrestlers when fighting him. Look at what happened to ROusey with Holm, people took the piss then. Fight hype or not if you say or think something and it backfires people would take the piss.

Anyone who fights at the top level has balls I'm not disputing that part, just it was quite a funny fight. I reckon most people who are fans of MMA Would of loved to be in Punk's position. Fair play to him for using his status as a celebrity to tick something off his bucket list and all that but it kind of backfired spectacularly. Even if he claims he already won by doing it or whatever it was still terrible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf I'm not sure I'd particularly want to fight a UFC fighter in front of millions of people when I'm clearly totally out of my depth. I know he probably got paid a lot but I'm genuinely not sure it would be enough to get me into that Octagon come fight time. Would most MMA fans really want to be in that position once they start getting their face punched in?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But people often eat their words on fight hype. Look at when McGregor tapped out to Diaz, people took the piss of him cos of all the stuff he came out with before about people turning into wrestlers when fighting him. Look at what happened to ROusey with Holm, people took the piss then. Fight hype or not if you say or think something and it backfires people would take the piss.

Anyone who fights at the top level has balls I'm not disputing that part, just it was quite a funny fight. I reckon most people who are fans of MMA Would of loved to be in Punk's position. Fair play to him for using his status as a celebrity to tick something off his bucket list and all that but it kind of backfired spectacularly. Even if he claims he already won by doing it or whatever it was still terrible.
That's a completely separate issue from the what goes through a person's mind when they are in the Octagon. Anyone who has a balls to get in there to pursue a dream, risking humiliation before millions in the process is already champion. They are the gladiators, we are merely spectators.

Oggmonster

Tbf I'm not sure I'd particularly want to fight a UFC fighter in front of millions of people when I'm clearly totally out of my depth. I know he probably got paid a lot but I'm genuinely not sure it would be enough to get me into that Octagon come fight time. Would most MMA fans really want to be in that position once they start getting their face punched in?
It's impossible to say in all honesty. I'd give him credit that it was his passion so if I was passionate about it like that and had his resources then why not? They didn't put him in there vs. Robbie Lawler (albeit Gall was much better than Punk's level.) The guy has millions of pounds and a lot of free time and got to do something he dreamed of on the biggest scale. I think a lot of people would probably do it. Even more normal people than Punk in terms of situation would surely be tempted. He'll comfortably make over a million dollars so it's not to bad. He hasn't suffered any lasting injuries either just a bruised ego...albeit I'd agree that's said with the benefit of hindsight.

That's a completely separate issue from the what goes through a person's mind when they are in the Octagon. Anyone who has a balls to get in there to pursue a dream, risking humiliation before millions in the process is already champion. They are the gladiators, we are merely spectators.
Yeah I don't disagree with the sentiment at all mate. Don't think we're to far from each others opinions. I just thought how the fight went down was particularly funny, especially that first punch that was no where near and the look of "Oh shit what have I done" as he misses.

Fair fecks to him for trying it, it could of gone even worse somehow if he got seriously injured. Again in hindsight he didn't so people will laugh at it and think it's a bit embarrassing really. Similar to the likes of when James Toney fancied his chances at MMA and got destroyed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Most fans, no. But there are a lot of fans who train in MMA and I'm sure they'd happily front up for that kind of money. For the people trying to make a living as an MMA fighter giving him a fight like that was just taking the piss out of them. So he clearly deserves the piss taken out of him in return. On behalf of all those guys.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Most fans, no. But there are a lot of fans who train in MMA and I'm sure they'd happily front up for that kind of money. For the people trying to make a living as an MMA fighter giving him a fight like that was just taking the piss out of them. So he clearly deserves the piss taken out of him in return. On behalf of all those guys.
Aye, if you put yourself in that position then you have to take the consequences, which in this case includes being ridiculed. At the same time, I think it's fair to acknowledge the nerve it takes to put yourself in that position in the first place.

The bit in bold is certainly true, though I think the UFC have to take the vast majority of blame there. The fight should never have been allowed in the first place. Surprised it got sanctioned really.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
That gif might just be my most favourite. So many uses for so many different situations.

But yeah, all that preparation and training and he throws a punch like that....Seriously, that's school yard shite that is.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Im gonna put it out there. For 50K id get into the ring with any fighter

The ref will save me after a brutal few secounds and I might try to poke them in the eye or give them a nut shot while they are doing it

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

The ref will save me after a brutal few secounds and I might try to poke them in the eye or give them a nut shot while they are doing it
Same. I'd just tap out at the first sign of trouble :D

Having said that though, I'm confident that you, me or whoever would at least get a slap in....Ridiculous Punk didn't

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Realistically though, you'd have to be in full time training for the fight to be allowed. Think Punk was waiting two years before he was finally able to go through with the fight? Not like it's a 50k bonus on top of whatever else you do.

Doesn't seem worth it when you risk getting your skull caved in a la Cyborg Santos. Think I'd stick with an office job and avoid those medical bills....

justboy68

No way I'm getting in there with Rumble Johnson for 50k though. Demian Maia yeah, because he would just gently put me to sleep. Getting brutally sparked out in 1 shot by Rumble is some brain trauma I'd rather not risk.