The MMA thread

Luke1995

Maybe high on cocaine?
Doesn't cocaine slow down the reflexes, agility and capability of making smart decisions in split seconds ? More likely, he was just juiced. Either way, I think MMA needs to be teached for the regular joes like us to provide possibility of personal physical defence against these weirdos who walk in the street in the middle of the night

Oggmonster

In the UFC they absolutely should have. I don't know for how long you has been following mma (I don't say this as a offense, I truly mean it) but if you know enough about Dana and the Fertittas, they have been underpaying these guys since the start.

Even Mcgregor doesn't get the money he deserves although he gets much more than the rest of them. That bald weirdo got more than everyone.

I guess the fighters have a different mindset than most of human beings do.

If you was still coming out of high school and trying to figure out what you will do with the rest of your time, would you even entertain putting your body through a training camp ? It takes alot to do that, let alone fight..

I know I wouldn't, no matter how many times I dreamed of having that gold around my waist and showing up to all these press conferences.

So, maybe they see going to a Island in the middle of a global disease as just a test of their manhood
As much as the fighters are underpaid I reckon this is happening cos the UFC can't afford to stop. Sports like football, basketball, NFL etc will lose a lot of money but can afford to pause, the UFC can't.

Luke1995

As much as the fighters are underpaid I reckon this is happening cos the UFC can't afford to stop. Sports like football, basketball, NFL etc will lose a lot of money but can afford to pause, the UFC can't.
Why the hell did they pay alot of money to celebrities anyway ? Debt to investors or something like that

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Rose Namajunas out of her scheduled fight... shame, that was shaping up to be a good rematch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Shit I thought Cruz was retired, last fight was in 2016.

Thug Rose out of 249 :( First of many perhaps?
He'll probably get injured by the time the fight comes round. It's a shame as I think without injuries, he would have been one of the greats. Love watching him.

cyberman

Theres going to be so many fighters begging for fights around Sep that the cards should be scarily ridiculous

stevoc

It was nuts that they were still planning to go ahead with events in empty stadiums and on secret islands.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well that idea didn’t last long. Probably for the best, in terms of safety as well as integrity of the sport.

I think there would have been a massive and sustained outrage and backlash from non UFC fans had it gone ahead; the thought of people trying to kill each other while the entire world has stopped to save lives always felt uncomfortable and very tasteless to me

Last edited:

Oggmonster

This shows the downsides and negatives of Dana. Whilst he's a great leader for MMA, his stubbornness to pull this off was just crazy - with no othre sports happening, having one where 2 athletes are sweating and bleeding on each other is madness!
He looks an absolute tit in all this now. Everyone knew it shouldn't happen and he was adamant it was, the UFC will do a PR job on this for him now it's pretty embarrassing

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well that idea didn’t last long. Probably for the best, in terms of safety as well as integrity of the sport.

I think there would have been a massive and sustained outrage and backlash from non UFC fans had it gone ahead; the thought of people trying to kill each other while the entire world has stopped to save lives always felt uncomfortable and very tasteless to me

Looks like Okamoto is Dana's new hostage video lackey.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This shows the downsides and negatives of Dana. Whilst he's a great leader for MMA, his stubbornness to pull this off was just crazy - with no othre sports happening, having one where 2 athletes are sweating and bleeding on each other is madness!
Always seemed irresponsible to attempt to force this to happen in the middle of a fecking pandemic. Just reinforces my suspicion that the UFC are skint and desperately need PPV cash to start flowing again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Always seemed irresponsible to attempt to force this to happen in the middle of a fecking pandemic. Just reinforces my suspicion that the UFC are skint and desperately need PPV cash to start flowing again.
Why would they be skint? Thought they'd made loads of $$ in past few years?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would they be skint? Thought they'd made loads of $$ in past few years?
Half the world view UFC events through pirated streams, including in the US, so their PPV model is probably hemorrhaging cash that it would've otherwise made a decade ago when illegal streaming was less easily available. They currently have 13 events cancelled including 3 PPVs, which means they will be losing several hundred million in revenue, which is not surprisingly why Dana appeared hellbent on forcing 248 to happen.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Half the world view UFC events through pirated streams, including in the US, so their PPV model is probably hemorrhaging cash that it would've otherwise made a decade ago when illegal streaming was less easily available. They currently have 13 events cancelled including 3 PPVs, which means they will be losing several hundred million in revenue, which is not surprisingly why Dana appeared hellbent on forcing 248 to happen.
Good observation. Even as a 'casual', I'd watch once every 3 weeks, and I've never paid him a cent!

Oggmonster

I'm not disagreeing I said earlier I think unlike other sports they can't afford to miss many events but don't they get paid the same amount for every PPV in America? Even if 1 or 1 million people buy it?? I read that was the deal with ESPN but don't quite work it out cos obviously here we get it on BT and from memory they have only had 2 PPV events and one of them did awful I think

Luke1995

When will Khabib move up to welterweight ?

I find matchups against Usman, Colby, Leon Edwards and Wonderboy to be much more compelling than what's there at lightweight (except Tony of course...who doesn't want to see that ?)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
When will Khabib move up to welterweight ?

I find matchups against Usman, Colby, Leon Edwards and Wonderboy to be much more compelling than what's there at lightweight (except Tony of course...who doesn't want to see that ?)
It doesn't really get any more compelling than Tony and Conor.

Luke1995

GSP would probably still smash Usman, Colby and Leon. I really hope he fights one last time, against Khabib or whoever.

Fedor and Silva have tarnished their legacies by staying on too long. DJ left the UFC in his prime, which is crazy from a sporting standpoint, and Jon Jones is great but made too many mistakes with risk management.

GSP the only one who outsmarted everyone. IMO the goat.

JP77

GSP would probably still smash Usman, Colby and Leon. I really hope he fights one last time, against Khabib or whoever.

Fedor and Silva have tarnished their legacies by staying on too long. DJ left the UFC in his prime, which is crazy from a sporting standpoint, and Jon Jones is great but made too many mistakes with risk management.

GSP the only one who outsmarted everyone. IMO the goat.
Not convinced at all. Prime GSP was sensational but those days are long gone. He looked average against Bisping, put him in against a high level guy like an Usman that can set a high pace and I think his age may just show. GSP is talented that even at 38 he likely could beat a few guys but I'm not convinced he'd beat the absolute top guys now.

The only chance he returns is for one final huge fight IMO. Doubtful though.

RedFish

Not convinced at all. Prime GSP was sensational but those days are long gone. He looked average against Bisping, put him in against a high level guy like an Usman that can set a high pace and I think his age may just show. GSP is talented that even at 38 he likely could beat a few guys but I'm not convinced he'd beat the absolute top guys now.

GSP has long sealed his reputation as GOAT contender. He has to all intents and purposes retired and nothing to prove.. No one currently fighting besides Jones ( with major reservations) enjoys such status. Usman is not even in the conversation.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
GSP has long sealed his reputation as GOAT contender. He has to all intents and purposes retired and nothing to prove.. No one currently fighting besides Jones ( with major reservations) enjoys such status. Usman is not even in the conversation.
My GOATS list would have been:

GSP, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones but the latter two have had too many drug related incidents to be considered leaving GSP as the overall GOAT.

Luke1995

If he believes he can beat Khabib he would believe he can beat them, but won't happen anywyay

Given the UFC'S and Endeavor need to make big money as soon as possible, I can see they throwin alot of money GSP's way to tempt him to come back

RedFish

If he believes he can beat Khabib he would believe he can beat them, but won't happen anywyay

Given the UFC'S and Endeavor need to make big money as soon as possible, I can see they throwin alot of money GSP's way to tempt him to come back
John Nash Talks UFC Finance Amid Pandemic - Crooklyn’s Corner 06 by Bloody Elbow Presents

https://player.fm/1BAtPkg #nowplaying

YouTube link

Have you listened to the above pod?

Unbelievable the amount of debt Endeavour are operating on. Can see why Dana is so desperate for events to resume.

Last edited:

JP77

No doubt about it, he's arguably the greatest. That doesn't change that he's 38 though and looked quite average against Bisping where he looked like he was completely blowing out of his ass at one point. Put him in there with a younger, fresher guy like Usman that can push a high level pace and I could see him struggling. Prime GSP of course likely beats Usman etc, no chance I'm debating that, but the idea that GSP would beat somebody like Usman today I don't agree with at all. GSP walked away after the Hendricks fight which a lot of people at the time thought he lost, probably the perfect time for him to walk away actually. Even the absolute best eventually get caught up by age.

RedFish

No doubt about it, he's arguably the greatest. That doesn't change that he's 38 though and looked quite average against Bisping where he looked like he was completely blowing out of his ass at one point. Put him in there with a younger, fresher guy like Usman that can push a high level pace and I could see him struggling. Prime GSP of course likely beats Usman etc, no chance I'm debating that, but the idea that GSP would beat somebody like Usman today I don't agree with at all. GSP walked away after the Hendricks fight which a lot of people at the time thought he lost, probably the perfect time for him to walk away actually. Even the absolute best eventually get caught up by age.
Fair points.

Usman is a worthy champion, though I'm not a fan of his inactivity nor his bland personality. He is a formidable opponent though, and you'd hope for the sake of standards that a prime Usman would be more than a challenge for a returning GSP.

Tbh, I'd rather not see comebacks of this sort - too often they only serve to undermine the legacy they've built up over an entire career.

Luke1995

@RedFish I was not aware of that episode, but I will listen to it!

I used to listen to the podcast Stephie Haynes did with that guy Iain Kidd before they fired him, lol!

It's crazy to me how that dude had such a good knowledge on PEDS and cannabis but was doing all that insane stuff...

If Endeavor is as bad as it sounds, they might look to sell the UFC, right ?