The MMA thread

Luke1995

Ben Rothwell X Ovince Saint Preux in the works for May 13 heavyweight bout according to ESPN

Luke1995

How good was Pre TJ Barao ?

Dude had like 30 wins in a row. It isn't crazy to say he is one of the greatests of all time. People doesn't think any less of BJ Penn because of the losses.

I swear peak Barao is one of the most vicious and technically effective strikers i've ever seen. You just knew the other dude standing there would get badly hurt. Until TJ came and took his soul...

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
How good was Pre TJ Barao ?

Dude had like 30 wins in a row. It isn't crazy to say he is one of the greatests of all time. People doesn't think any less of BJ Penn because of the losses.

I swear peak Barao is one of the most vicious and technically effective strikers i've ever seen. You just knew the other dude standing there would get badly hurt. Until TJ came and took his soul...
Apart from Faber, his opponents weren't all that. Especially compared to BJ, who went to multiple weight classes and fight the very best.

Luke1995

That's not exactly his fault, @Dirty Schwein he was supposed to fight Cruz multiple times but Cruz never took the fight. That would have been defining for Barao's legacy.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Main Card

• Tony Ferguson vs Justin Gaethje (interim UFC Lightweight Championship)
  • Henry Cejudo vs Dominick Cruz (UFC Bantamweight Championship)
  • Francis Ngannou vs Jairzinho Rozentruik (heavyweight)
  • Jeremy Stephens vs Calvin Kattar (featherweight)
  • Greg Hardy vs Yorgan de Castro (heavyweight)
Prelims

• Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone vs Anthony Pettis (welterweight)
  • Alexey Oleynik vs Fabricio Werdum (heavyweight)
  • Carla Esparza vs Michelle Waterson (women's strawweight)
  • Uriah Hall vs Ronaldo Souza (middleweight)
Early prelims

• Vicente Luque vs Niko Price (welterweight)
  • Bryce Mitchell vs Charles Rosa (featherweight)
  • Ryan Spann vs Sam Alvey (light heavyweight)

So lads, who we got?

kidbob

Super card but I hate the main event so so much. Want Cruz to win but can't see it after the time he's been out and the injuries he's had. I think it's inevitable that Justin knocks out Tony and we never get to see him vs Khabib. Considering the luck that fight has had in the past it'd be the perfect shite ending to the saga. Justin has the power and has disciplined himself somewhat. It's like Tony vs Conor for me, Justin has 2 rounds to finish him or else his chance drastically reduces and Tony will begin to take over. As I said though its inevitable at this point, I just hope I'm wrong.

Otherwise I hope that the Werdum and Oleynik is almost all grappling.

cyberman

Cowboy v Pettis in the prelims is madness to me.
This is the man who was such a name that Conor should be top of the line for a title shot for beating him.
Doesnt exactly square up.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I've finally accepted that Tony v Khabib will never happen. Justin v Tony will be more exciting anyway, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
Looking past that it's a strong card, looking forward to it. Will this be on 'fight island'?

RedFish

Cowboy v Pettis in the prelims is madness to me.
This is the man who was such a name that Conor should be top of the line for a title shot for beating him.
Doesnt exactly square up.
They're both past it. Cowboy more than Pettis obviously. Both hall of famers though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm getting into UFC lately, and my IPTV has all of them up to 223. Which ones can you recommend?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'll watch this but I hate how desperate Dana has been to get a card on during this whole thing. If fighters and media are having to walk around wearing protective masks then it's probably not the right time to have any kind of event.

As for people being upset about the chances of Khabib v Tony ever happening. Don't worry about it. Khabib would maul him like he has everyone else he's ever fought. He's simply on another level.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Main Card
Prelims
Early prelims

predator

Youth NITK
Hello chaps. I usually stream UFC but I have a feeling there won't be an abundance of them like usual and I don't want to take any chances with this one so I'm thinking of signing up for a bt pass. Do they only do monthly passes now? Didn't they do a week pass at some point?

justboy68

I'm getting into UFC lately, and my IPTV has all of them up to 223. Which ones can you recommend?
Welcome to the madness! It depends how far back you want to go. If you want to catch up to current times fairly fast and see a lot of fighters who are still around and relevant today, UFC 189 is a good start. Then jump to 193 just for the main event, 194, 195, 196, 199 were all good main cards too. Then if you need more recommendations after that let me know.

If you are happy to go back further UFC100 is a good jumping on point. I first started following it around then. UFC 1 is worth watching at some point just to witness the pure wild west days.

justboy68

Not done predictions for a while.

Main Card
Prelims
Early prelims
No idea for the last two, not all that familiar with Spann or Mitchell. Can't believe Luque is still fighting on early prelims, he's 10-3 in the UFC, that's super solid. Guy can't seem to catch a break. Cerrone - Pettis makes sense as a big name prelim headliner, but without too much really on the line. Think Cejudo will do enough against Cruz. I'm hoping for Tony to win the main event mostly because he deserves a real shot at the title more than anyone ever pretty much, and if he loses and never quite makes it back (he is getting on a bit now) then it will just be a sad story. I could honestly see it going either way though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The best way to get up to speed would be to get a UFC fight pass membership - look at who all the top fighters are in the present and watch their top 5 or so most prominent fights. This would give you a good sense of where we are today and all the various rivalries that exist in each division.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Welcome to the madness! It depends how far back you want to go. If you want to catch up to current times fairly fast and see a lot of fighters who are still around and relevant today, UFC 189 is a good start. Then jump to 193 just for the main event, 194, 195, 196, 199 were all good main cards too. Then if you need more recommendations after that let me know.

If you are happy to go back further UFC100 is a good jumping on point. I first started following it around then. UFC 1 is worth watching at some point just to witness the pure wild west days.
The best way to get up to speed would be to get a UFC fight pass membership - look at who all the top fighters are in the present and watch their top 5 or so most prominent fights. This would give you a good sense of where we are today and all the various rivalries that exist in each division.
Thanks both.

I watched the Jon Jones vs Gustafson card last night. Had Kabib opening. Was a great card. I dont recall the number. I actually though Gustafson was hard done by on the points but I believe they rematch a little further down the line.

Tonight I'll do another

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Most intriguing matchup for me is Ngannou/Rozentruik

I hope Dom Cruz somehow takes care of business as well

kidbob

Most intriguing matchup for me is Ngannou/Rozentruik

I hope Dom Cruz somehow takes care of business as well
Agree on the Francis thing but to be honest the most intriguing match up is Cruz vs Cejudo. If Cruz is 'himself' then he poses massive problems to Henry. In my mind the best Cruz beats the best Cejudo but obviously we don't know how Cruz is.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that:

Justin KOs Tony in one (exactly as Conor would but takes more damage than Conor would). I'll cop out and say that if it goes to round two then Tony drowns Justin (not as bad as he would Conor).

Cruz beats Cejudo!!! I'm gonna guess he's in good shape and the best Cruz is better than the best Cejudo. It''s still a travest that the UFC got rid of their best ever fighter who never really lost to Henry.

I think Francis has serious problems with Rozentruik but I reckon he gets the KO in round two.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agree on the Francis thing but to be honest the most intriguing match up is Cruz vs Cejudo. If Cruz is 'himself' then he poses massive problems to Henry. In my mind the best Cruz beats the best Cejudo but obviously we don't know how Cruz is.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that:

Justin KOs Tony in one (exactly as Conor would but takes more damage than Conor would). I'll cop out and say that if it goes to round two then Tony drowns Justin (not as bad as he would Conor).

Cruz beats Cejudo!!! I'm gonna guess he's in good shape and the best Cruz is better than the best Cejudo. It''s still a travest that the UFC got rid of their best ever fighter who never really lost to Henry.

I think Francis has serious problems with Rozentruik but I reckon he gets the KO in round two.
Anything can happen in the Justin v Tony fight, although I would have to go with Tony due to his experience and the fact that he's multi-dimensional - so my guess is Tony by D'Arce choke.