g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The MMA thread

JP77

Cormier could be a bigger threat, that doesn't mean Jones should be ducking Gustafsson and thinking he calls the shots. Gustafsson has to get the next shot.

I'd say Jones leaving on a stretcher in the first fight tells you that Gustafsson deserves all the praise he got.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov (also known as UFC Fight Night 42) is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be held on June 7, 2014 at Tingley Coliseum in Albuquerque, New Mexico.[1][2]

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Weight class Method Round Time Notes
Lightweight Benson Henderson (-233) vs. Rustam Khabilov (+215)
Lightweight Diego Sanchez (+162) vs. Ross Pearson (-165)
Flyweight John Dodson (-427) vs. John Moraga (+388)
Lightweight Rafael dos Anjos (-273) vs. Jason High (+260)
Lightweight Yves Edwards (+164) vs. Piotr Hallmann (-165)
Bantamweight Erik Perez (-110) vs. Bryan Caraway (+103)

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)
Bantamweight Yaotzin Meza (+260) vs. Sergio Pettis (-340)
Welterweight Bobby Voelker (-195) vs. Lance Benoist (+160)
Flyweight Scott Jorgensen (-230) vs. Danny Martinez (+185)
Lightweight Jon Tuck (-215) vs. Jake Lindsey (+175)

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Light Heavyweight Patrick Cummins (-390) vs. Roger Narvaez (+295)

http://www.bestfightodds.com/
Sanchez vs Pearson and Dodson vs Moraga should be great fights. :drool:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Cormier could be a bigger threat, that doesn't mean Jones should be ducking Gustafsson and thinking he calls the shots. Gustafsson has to get the next shot.

I'd say Jones leaving on a stretcher in the first fight tells you that Gustafsson deserves all the praise he got.
Agree with this, Gustafsson should have had a rematch straight away. He should be next in line now. I also think he will be a bigger threat than DC.

Jones will keep DC away with his reach advantage, something he can't do to the Swede.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

I agree he deserves a lot of praise for his performance. Jones is so good that actually hitting him multiple times and making him bleed is an amazing accomplishment. As I said in here, he made Jones look mortal, and he had the best of him for several minutes of the fight.

I'd rather see him fight Gus personally, Cormier isn't nearly as entertaining. But I can see the argument that Cormier is the most dangerous challenger and for that reason would be happy to see him get the next shot.

Cantonarightboot

UFC Fight Night: Muñoz vs. Mousasi (also known as UFC Fight Night 41) is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be held on May 31, 2014 at O2 World in Berlin, Germany.

Official fight card

Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Weight class Method Round Time Notes
Middleweight Mark Muñoz (+250) vs. Gegard Mousasi (-300)
Middleweight Francis Carmont (-160) vs. C.B. Dollaway (+140)
Middleweight Luke Barnatt (-190) vs. Sean Strickland (+165)
Featherweight Tom Niinimäki (-250) vs. Niklas Bäckström (+210)

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Lightweight Nick Hein (-130) vs. Drew Dober (+110)
Middleweight Magnus Cedenblad (EVEN) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (-120)
Bantamweight Iuri Alcantara (-370) vs. Vaughan Lee (+310)
Welterweight Peter Sobotta (+165) vs. Pawel Pawlak (-190)
Featherweight Andy Ogle (+170) vs. Maximo Blanco (-200)
Heavyweight Viktor Pešta (+175) vs. Ruslan Magomedov (-210)

Thats a pretty sweet line up!!

Why can't Ireland get something like this in July!! :(

Cantonarightboot

As close as Gus was to winning he still wasn't quite good enough, very close fight but when you think of it with a title on the line challengers really have to go above and beyond to be given the title on a points decision!

Anyways, of Jones two challengers, Gus or DC... I personally think DC is the bigger challenge. DC is one seriously scary bad ass mother fecker!! He threw Hendo around the place like he was a rag doll, well n good Hendo being past his best and all but come on. that was devastating. Someone said above that Jones reach will keep DC at bay? I gotta disagree with that, your dealing with a world class olympian here who looks like he is actually at his peak! He'll time his take downs to perfection and I've no doubt he could well do to Jones what he done to Hendo! Two of my favorite fighters there and it's really anyone's for the taking.

UFC are probably pushing for Gus rematch for one simple reason, its what's best for Business. As long as he stays fit they could line up the Gus rematch on UFC 177 (Aug 30th), failing that UFC 178 (Sept 27th). Then the winner goes on to DC at year end (ideally it'd be Jones v DC) to round off the calender year at UFC 182 (Dec 28th)... Jones fought 4 times in 2011, so 3 times is manageable!

For UFC Jones v Gus and then Jones v DC is what they really want! I don't think you'd get many a UFC fan complaining about that either.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
And a good article about why the talk of Jones ducking anyone is kinda retarded

The longer UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones goes without booking his next fight, the weirder the story gets.

Just look at how quickly UFC President Dana White changed his mind about what’s really happening with the champ. Last week White explained the delay in booking Jones’ next fight bysaying the UFC was “doing a new deal with him.”

This week, however, the UFC prez just can’t understand where people got the idea that this all about doing a new deal.

“Just to clear up a couple things, people think we’re in contract negotiations with Jon Jones – we’re not,” White told UFC.com. “Jon Jones still has five fights left on his contract.”

Oh, good. Glad that’s cleared up. Somebody should let the Dana White of last week know. They might also want to tell the Lorenzo Fertitta of this video blog, since he very clearly says that he’ll be meeting with Jones’ manager to extend his contract and “walk him through” why it makes sense to rematch Alexander Gustafsson.

(“Are we going to get a deal done?” Fertitta asks Jones’ manager, Wayne Harriman, who replies, “I hope so.” If only someone had told them both that it was unnecessary.)

The Dana White of this week knows what’s up, though. As he told the company website, the real hold-up is Jones’ refusal to grant a rematch to Gustafsson, because apparently he’d rather fight fresh light heavyweight contender Daniel Cormier.

“So what we’re doing right now is trying to get him to sign the bout agreement for Gustafsson,” White said. “He doesn’t want to fight Gustafsson. … Lorenzo and I have a meeting with Jones on Thursday to get him to sign the bout agreement, and he’s asking to fight Cormier instead.”

Is that true? Hard to say. Jones has been conspicuously tight-lipped lately, and for all we know White might change his story again next week. The UFC’s willingness to air this particular point of contention in public does tell us something about where it stands with one of its biggest stars, though. I’m just not sure it’s the message the UFC really wants to send.

Say we take the most recent explanation at face value, ignoring the substantial body of evidence that suggests this is more about the terms of a contract extension than pure opponent selection. The UFC seems to be not so subtly pushing the idea that Jones would like to avoid Gustafsson, and also that he’s committing the champion’s sin of trying to handpick his opponents.

That seems like a weird route to take because, for one, Cormier is arguably just as tough an opponent as Gustafsson, if not tougher. For another, how exactly does this strategy makes things easier or better for you, if you’re the UFC?

If you successfully convince fans that one of your own champions – not to mention one who seems like the most readily available heir apparent to departed (or at least gradually departing) superstars like Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva – is ducking certain fights, haven’t you just made your own job as a promoter (as in, the one responsible for convincing us to pay to see this man perform) more difficult?

And if it’s all part of a negotiating strategy to remind Jones that the UFC has a powerful website where it can undermine him with quips from the company president, isn’t that likely to make him more rather than less intractable when he finally sits down opposite White and Fertitta this week?

Another strange piece to the puzzle, however, is White’s own admission that he and Fertitta have yet to sit down and discuss this with Jones himself. If that meeting is happening privately on Thursday, then why broadcast your position publicly on Monday? Unless, of course, you’re trying to turn up the pressure on him via the court of public opinion.

Whether that’s working depends on who you ask. Certainly the comments section of the UFC’s “exclusive” with White is littered with comments from people who are pretty sure that the most dominant light heavyweight champ in recent history is an irredeemable coward. In other words, the Internet is still the Internet.

Still, if you were being offered a contract extension before your next title defense – and regardless of what the UFC says now, its executives are literally on video attempting to make such a deal – how much would you really care?

Because those people on UFC.com? They’ve probably already made up their minds about you anyway. And for Jones, fights with both Gustafsson and Cormier seem practically inevitable now. All that remains to be decided is the order and the compensation.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
And a good article about why the talk of Jones ducking anyone is kinda retarded
I suspect that Jones is in on all this, and it's an attempt to promote the rematch with Gus, getting us talking about it and also bigging up the challenger by suggesting the champ is less than eager to face him again.

The idea that White is actually this crazy in reality is hard to believe. He talked big recently about Melendez not signing his contract and blah blah blah about how he couldn't even sit at the table with him anymore. Result? Melendez got what he wanted.

White does this whole WWF tough guy shit talking character for the fans that eat that crap up and love Chael Sonnen. Surely he has a brain in there somewhere.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
As close as Gus was to winning he still wasn't quite good enough, very close fight but when you think of it with a title on the line challengers really have to go above and beyond to be given the title on a points decision!

Anyways, of Jones two challengers, Gus or DC... I personally think DC is the bigger challenge. DC is one seriously scary bad ass mother fecker!! He threw Hendo around the place like he was a rag doll, well n good Hendo being past his best and all but come on. that was devastating. Someone said above that Jones reach will keep DC at bay? I gotta disagree with that, your dealing with a world class olympian here who looks like he is actually at his peak! He'll time his take downs to perfection and I've no doubt he could well do to Jones what he done to Hendo! Two of my favorite fighters there and it's really anyone's for the taking.

UFC are probably pushing for Gus rematch for one simple reason, its what's best for Business. As long as he stays fit they could line up the Gus rematch on UFC 177 (Aug 30th), failing that UFC 178 (Sept 27th). Then the winner goes on to DC at year end (ideally it'd be Jones v DC) to round off the calender year at UFC 182 (Dec 28th)... Jones fought 4 times in 2011, so 3 times is manageable!

For UFC Jones v Gus and then Jones v DC is what they really want! I don't think you'd get many a UFC fan complaining about that either.
Henderson is not a light heavyweight, so Cormier did have some weight on him once they got in there. But then Cormier did toss Barnett around from the highlights I've seen. Henderson isn't really a top wrestler anymore by today's standards, Shogun was able to get the best of him on the ground for example, so we should take that performance with a grain of salt, Henderson is not a top opponent.

In fact, I'm not sure Cormier has faced more than 2 real challenges, Barnett and Bigfoot. Bigfoot is an outside threat at heavyweight and Barnett isn't close to his best anymore. His MMA record isn't that impressive.

Best of:
Submission (punches) RD 1 vs. Soa Palelei, 2010
Decision (unanimous) RD 3 vs. Jeff Monson, 2011
KO (punches) RD 1 vs. Bigfoot Silva, 2011
Decision (unanimous) RD 5 vs. Josh Barnett, 2012
Decision (unanimous) RD 3 vs. Frank Mir, 2013
Decision (unanimous) RD 3 vs. Roy Nelson, 2013
Submission (rear naked) RD 3 vs. Hendo, 2014

But I couldn't help but be impressed with this most recent performance, he looks like someone who can dominate anyone on the ground.

Either way I'm looking forward to Jones-Gus, Jones-Cormier or Gus-Cormier if Gus beats Jones!

Last edited:

Cantonarightboot

Either way I'm looking forward to Jones-Gus, Jones-Cormier or Gus-Cormier if Gus beats Jones!
Exactly, as fans we're really being spoiled here! :)

Looking for to any of the possible match ups! If it's Gus v Jones, so be it...that was a classic and hopefully it can live up to the hype again!

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I suspect that Jones is in on all this, and it's an attempt to promote the rematch with Gus, getting us talking about it and also bigging up the challenger by suggesting the champ is less than eager to face him again.

The idea that White is actually this crazy in reality is hard to believe. He talked big recently about Melendez not signing his contract and blah blah blah about how he couldn't even sit at the table with him anymore. Result? Melendez got what he wanted.

White does this whole WWF tough guy shit talking character for the fans that eat that crap up and love Chael Sonnen. Surely he has a brain in there somewhere.
Tbh, I'd not be surprised if his whole aim was to get the UFC to be some kind of WWE with real fights.

Cantonarightboot

Tbh, I'd not be surprised if his whole aim was to get the UFC to be some kind of WWE with real fights.

agree, the guy comes across as a right dick!! From his over hyping of fights, ridiculous statements and belittling of fighters constantly.. not to mention the long winded argument of fighter pay and him ripping them off... I'm a huge GSP fan and the way he has treated him over the last few years is awful, GSP being one of if not their greatest fighters and how he was treated should resonate with many other fighters!

Cantonarightboot

Hoping to do the same. Stressful even thinking about it.
what you think of the card?

Looking at feedback on Boards.ie, an ongoing thread there about the card seems some people are unhappy with the line up... I'm happier with the Main Event now that Miller is out and Brandao in, much tougher opponent. Think it'll be a bit more lively with Brandao in there! La Flare's replacement too isn't great at all, Zak Cummins! I get the reasons behind it being a weak card (company growth and giving up and comers a chance), but one big name would of been nice!

Burndogg

Magic Meat
what you think of the card?

Looking at feedback on Boards.ie, an ongoing thread there about the card seems some people are unhappy with the line up... I'm happier with the Main Event now that Miller is out and Brandao in, much tougher opponent. Think it'll be a bit more lively with Brandao in there! La Flare's replacement too isn't great at all, Zak Cummins! I get the reasons behind it being a weak card (company growth and giving up and comers a chance), but one big name would of been nice!
I'm happy enough with it after what we have come to expect from regional cards, but i agree, one high profile name would have been nice after the main and co-main lost a fighter, they could have capitalised on the beef with Poirier but must have seemed like too much of a risk for Conor at this point in his career.

Cantonarightboot

I'm happy enough with it after what we have come to expect from regional cards, but i agree, one high profile name would have been nice after the main and co-main lost a fighter, they could have capitalised on the beef with Poirier but must have seemed like too much of a risk for Conor at this point in his career.

yeah Poirier is probably too soon for McGregor alright, If he beats Brandao and maybe 1 other he will probably get his fight with Dustin then! Barely heard of your man Cummins, so its a poor replacement really... But all in all just be good to see UFC branded televised event in Ireland!

Part of me would like to see McGregor get knocked out cold now after his interview on the MMA hour with Cole, so disrpectful... seems to have upset a lot of Irish MMA fans with that interview!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I definitely think that was/is a big part of his vision for the UFC. I've heard another guy from the UFC brass talk about using the WWE model of free shows to fill with ads for the pay shows, for example.

I think the genius thing they've done is to have all these interviews in the shows so that you get to know the fighters, something that doesn't happen in any sport in the US. Not that you can't find some Kobe interviews but you have to go out of your way to get to know the players there. I think they got their nod there from the WWE interviews but they expanded it into the amount of character background you get from a reality tv show.

For intelligent MMA fans we can just ignore White and Sonnen, but I think that WWE crap and the 'tough asshole' Dana White persona are crafted for a certain, rather large, market. When we was on UFC 32 or one about that time he seemed like a nerd.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Add that to a lot of the fights, they big them up like this guy hates this guy, this guy wants revenge, and you can see they don't actually give a feck. It's all to build up some no existent heat for the fight.

Cantonarightboot

tickets we're €100 each, €110 with booking fee and bit extra for parking ticket at the 02 as well...

Its expensive alright, but not much I could do as all the €50, €75 tickets sold out yesterday!! Looks like I'm a bit back location wise but with the extra bit of height I should see perfectly into the octogan.

Last edited:

Cantonarightboot

It seems to me like the octagon padding on top and the posts would block a fair number of views from all around a stadium.

Saw some photos on boards.ie from guys who went last time to UFC 93 and they we're a fair bit back but it made now difference because with the Octogan being elavated they sat pretty much level with the fighters (above the media and cameras etc).....

Im in Block H, stuck in the middle somewhere lol

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'd love those seats, never been to a show myself.

I wonder if Jones isn't flexing his muscles a bit, so to speak, as far as being one of the few big draws this year with GSP retired and Anderson Silva rehabbing. Aldo and Barao don't bring the the same sort of crowds, as good as they are.

The UFC is pretty ruthless with their negotiating, and I'm sure the top fighters are looking at the pay top boxers get with jealous eyes. If I was a top fighter I would use anything I could to try to get a bigger chunk of the cash. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the top fighters went and started their own league just to control the money.

Missing out on a Jon Jones fight costs the UFC more in lost profits than it does Jones because of the rich cut they give themselves. I suspect Jones would fight Gus for the right price.

Cantonarightboot

I'd love those seats, never been to a show myself.

I wonder if Jones isn't flexing his muscles a bit, so to speak, as far as being one of the few big draws this year with GSP retired and Anderson Silva rehabbing. Aldo and Barao don't bring the the same sort of crowds, as good as they are.

The UFC is pretty ruthless with their negotiating, and I'm sure the top fighters are looking at the pay top boxers get with jealous eyes. If I was a top fighter I would use anything I could to try to get a bigger chunk of the cash. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the top fighters went and started their own league just to control the money.

Missing out on a Jon Jones fight costs the UFC more in lost profits than it does Jones because of the rich cut they give themselves. I suspect Jones would fight Gus for the right price.

Well, its official now! :)

Jones v Gus 2 for Sept 27th!!

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/5/57...ract-official-ufc-178-ppv-sept-27-toronto-mma

I don't blame him for playing hard ball with Dana! Can't stand Dana, so if Jones held out for a better pay day fair play to him! Its a short career, with a huge risk of injury throughout!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
tickets we're €100 each, €110 with booking fee and bit extra for parking ticket at the 02 as well...

Its expensive alright, but not much I could do as all the €50, €75 tickets sold out yesterday!! Looks like I'm a bit back location wise but with the extra bit of height I should see perfectly into the octogan.
Octagon level seats here in Vegas were nearly $800, or about $2,000 for two people including meal/drinks etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Cantonarightboot

Octagon level seats here in Vegas were nearly $800, or about $2,000 for two people including meal/drinks etc.

well I'd argue you we're getting a much better card than the sub par serving I'm getting!

Still though, I'm hoping for an exciting card. The main event has improved with Brandao now in it I think!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The attacks on Jones in the press were a bit ridiculous. I hope he hammers Gustafson now and goes on to do the same to Cormier.
Jones will benefit from knowing his opponent better, I think, and I expect him to have a few tricks for Gus. I'd like to see him catch Gus coming in with a front kick ala Anderson vs Belfort, or use his knees better to keep him back.

I certainly like how the UFC manages to have the best fighters constantly fight each other, unlike boxing.