The MMA thread

Luke1995

Rashad Evans has parted ways with the UFC and is strongly considering a comeback

Oggmonster

He's such an insufferable wum. Glad Dana has frozen him out for the most part.
Dana doesn't like him (and rightly so) but he's far from frozen out. He still gets the biggest guests.on his show, still gets interviews etc it's just Brett Okamoto does the UFC powder puff ones that go on YouTube

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dana doesn't like him (and rightly so) but he's far from frozen out. He still gets the biggest guests.on his show, still gets interviews etc it's just Brett Okamoto does the UFC powder puff ones that go on YouTube
He gets the guests because of his show, which has nothing to do with the UFC. Many of them continue to go on because they consider him the best known UFC journo who has been there along the way as their careers developed. Dana and the UFC want nothing to do with him due to his constant attempts to instigate drama among the fighters. Okamoto is far better at asking normal journo questions which is why he is now the go to guy. Ariel could’ve had that but he squandered it with his insatiable desire to wind the UFC up. I’m no fan of Dana either but his assessment of Ariel is spot on.

Oggmonster

He gets the guests because of his show, which has nothing to do with the UFC. Many of them continue to go on because they consider him the best known UFC journo who has been there along the way as their careers developed. Dana and the UFC want nothing to do with him due to his constant attempts to instigate drama among the fighters. Okamoto is far better at asking normal journo questions which is why he is now the go to guy. Ariel could’ve had that but he squandered it with his insatiable desire to wind the UFC up. I’m no fan of Dana either but his assessment of Ariel is spot on.

In fairness I don't think Helwani wants a gig like that, he had it in the past and said he didn't enjoy it. I don't like the guy but if Dana is attempting to freeze him out he's doing the worst job possible cos he is still the most popular journalist in the sport

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don't mind Ariel on his show. It's his show and he is free to do whatever the feck he wants. But when he brings his stupid questions to press conferences, it annoys me.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
In fairness I don't think Helwani wants a gig like that, he had it in the past and said he didn't enjoy it. I don't like the guy but if Dana is attempting to freeze him out he's doing the worst job possible cos he is still the most popular journalist in the sport
The one that barely appears in my timeline anymore is Luke Thomas. Last two times he appeared was him retweeting some bullshit about some rapper or something. Definitely unfollow him has crossed my mind.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
No clue how Grasso didn't win that fight...

predator

Youth NITK
I've enjoyed this event so much. Almost every fight in the prelims and main event were amazing. Hope the main fight is good. I'm supporting yair aswell.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
That's sad.... All the people who spent, and probably saved money, just to get to see this event live, and the main even ends like that.
And the fighters of course, so much time put into the preparations, and they get 10 seconds in the octagon. :(

George Owen

That's sad.... All the people who spent, and probably saved money, just to get to see this event live, and the main even ends like that.
And the fighters of course, so much time put into the preparations, and they get 10 seconds in the octagon. :(
And their easier 60k/70k ever.

It seems Stephens spent 30k for his camp, but still goers home with 40k and no brain damage. Plus another fight lined up.

shabz

DC confirms Stipe trilogy will be his last fight ever and that the UFC have given it the green light.

George Owen

DC confirms Stipe trilogy will be his last fight ever and that the UFC have given it the green light.
Fair enough. If he fights intelligently, he has big chances to retire as champion. Both guys probably gonna be ready to retire after the trilogy. How much damage can you absorb before calling it a day? (hasghdsfgsghs Arlovski and Bigfoot Silva says: Hold my beer...)

ps. That means we need a new sacrificial lamb to keep Ngannou busy.

Oggmonster

What's DC done to deserve a rematch exactly? Fair enough he wants to end with 1 last shot but tough shit so does everyone I'm sure. He made Stipe wait for ages whilst he chased a Brock fight that was never happening and now wants to fight him again? I'd rather Ngannou got it to be honest.

JP77

What's DC done to deserve a rematch exactly? Fair enough he wants to end with 1 last shot but tough shit so does everyone I'm sure. He made Stipe wait for ages whilst he chased a Brock fight that was never happening and now wants to fight him again? I'd rather Ngannou got it to be honest.
Where were the complaints when Stipe got his rematch despite being nobody since he lost to Cornier? Most said he deserved the rematch. Cormier even defended since that fight, had never been beaten at heavyweight prior to that fight or in general outside of Jones. He had basically dominated outside of the Jones fight. Arguably won all three rounds prior to the fourth round KO against Stipe too.

No real issue for me when you also factor in that Cormier has said this will be his final fight. He's busted his ass throughout his career and dominated throughout, there's genuine intrigue in a rematch as they're one and one and they have history, he deserves the rematch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Where were the complaints when Stipe got his rematch despite being nobody since he lost to Cornier? Most said he deserved the rematch. Cormier even defended since that fight, had never been beaten at heavyweight prior to that fight or in general outside of Jones. He had basically dominated outside of the Jones fight. Arguably won all three rounds prior to the fourth round KO against Stipe too.

No real issue for me when you also factor in that Cormier has said this will be his final fight. He's busted his ass throughout his career and dominated throughout, there's genuine intrigue in a rematch as they're one and one and they have history, he deserves the rematch.
Lets not be under any illusions here. DC is getting the rematch because he’s chummy with Dana and the UFC. The real rematch everyone wants to see is Stipe v Ngannou and DC v Jones .

Andersons Dietician

Some people don’t think DC deserves a rematch?

He sparked him first fight, was pretty dominant in the last fight until the body shots and he’s god damn DC. If Miocic had whitewashed him in the first round and sparked him with 1 shot and put on an impressive display doing it then yeah you’d have to question why a rematch but he didn’t.
It’s tied 1 a piece right now so let’s get on board the rematch train and get it over and done with.

JP77

Lets not be under any illusions here. DC is getting the rematch because he’s chummy with Dana and the UFC. The real rematch everyone wants to see is Stipe v Ngannou and DC v Jones .
That's speculation at the end of the day on your part. Whether that's why he got it or not who knows but this is far from some huge outcry for a guy that doesn't deserve it. He deserves it. That's not to say I would have any issue at all with Ngannou getting the fight instead.

Ngannou will get his shot. I don't disagree on Jones/Cormier but that idea seems to have completely sailed off into the sunset unless DC wins this rematch and calls him out. I'm not sure Cormier could ever live with going out on a loss to Jones though...and equally I think it'll always eats away at him that he never beat Jones.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's speculation at the end of the day on your part. Whether that's why he got it or not who knows but this is far from some huge outcry for a guy that doesn't deserve it. He deserves it. That's not to say I would have any issue at all with Ngannou getting the fight instead.

Ngannou will get his shot. I don't disagree on Jones/Cormier but that idea seems to have completely sailed off into the sunset unless DC wins this rematch and calls him out. I'm not sure Cormier could ever live with going out on a loss to Jones though...and equally I think it'll always eats away at him that he never beat Jones.
It’s pure and simple a vanity match for DC for his loyalty to the UFC and being on good terms with Dana. Similar scenario to when Bisping was farcically allowed to defend his title against a 44 year old Dan Henderson while the proper contenders in the division had to wait. Dana’s pals get coddled.

Oggmonster

Stipe defended the title 3 times which is a HW record that deserves a rematch. DC won and chased a fight with Lesnar that was never happening. I agree he was winning the fight but ultimately that doesn't matter as he ended up losing, that's the fight game. I'm sure there's plenty of fighters in the past who have been winning then lost and not got the rematch. I agree with @Raoul that it is more of a favour for on of Dana's closer fighters than anything else. I remember when Stipe lost Dana and the UFC were trying to get him to fight other people and not give him an immediate rematch. How is it the most dominant HW of all time doesn't deserve one but DC does? Seems odd to me.

I don't really think it's relevant he's retiring, that's his decision no one elses. I swear he's said it for the last 2 years as well and yet always ends up fighting. I also don't get why the UFC give title shots to retiring fighters. What's the point? If he wins then they end up probably doing Stipe vs. Ngannou for the vacant belt so why not just do it now? Just seems a weird ego rub for DC.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Stipe defended the title 3 times which is a HW record that deserves a rematch. DC won and chased a fight with Lesnar that was never happening. I agree he was winning the fight but ultimately that doesn't matter as he ended up losing, that's the fight game. I'm sure there's plenty of fighters in the past who have been winning then lost and not got the rematch. I agree with @Raoul that it is more of a favour for on of Dana's closer fighters than anything else. I remember when Stipe lost Dana and the UFC were trying to get him to fight other people and not give him an immediate rematch. How is it the most dominant HW of all time doesn't deserve one but DC does? Seems odd to me.

I don't really think it's relevant he's retiring, that's his decision no one elses. I swear he's said it for the last 2 years as well and yet always ends up fighting. I also don't get why the UFC give title shots to retiring fighters. What's the point? If he wins then they end up probably doing Stipe vs. Ngannou for the vacant belt so why not just do it now? Just seems a weird ego rub for DC.
This. It leaves them in an awkward situation if DC wins and retires.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
It’s pure and simple a vanity match for DC for his loyalty to the UFC and being on good terms with Dana. Similar scenario to when Bisping was farcically allowed to defend his title against a 44 year old Dan Henderson while the proper contenders in the division had to wait. Dana’s pals get coddled.
Henderson was No. 13 in the official rankings going into the undeserved title shot vs Bisping, and was 2-2 since returning to middleweight. Both his losses were first round KOs and his wins came against Tim Boetsch (ranked 13 going into the Hendo fight) and Hector Lombard (unranked). DC's case for the title shot is immeasurably stronger.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Sweet feck...I thought Yair seemed quite civil in the few interviews I'd seen of him prior to this weekend but he really is a monumental knob. Hopefully this gets rebooked ASAP and Stephens batters him.
What did yair say before the push? Couldn't hear