The MMA thread

kidbob

Too bad for the kid that the top of the division will defend the takedowns and kill him on the feet. Like featherweight is, middleweight is only 2 fighters and will be until someone comes through and I see nothing in the newcomers in either division that look like they will get there. I hope I'm wrong.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Too bad for the kid that the top of the division will defend the takedowns and kill him on the feet. Like featherweight is, middleweight is only 2 fighters and will be until someone comes through and I see nothing in the newcomers in either division that look like they will get there. I hope I'm wrong.
Things change around very fast. There is always someone coming through that you might not expect

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Yeah, I think it’s amazing that he didn’t tap or show any effects....just looked a bit disappointed. Like ffs man, your arms floppy!
No time. Sometimes you just can't tap in time. It's a sign of respect to tap when you are done, so Jacare would have done it for sure.

kidbob

Things change around very fast. There is always someone coming through that you might not expect
I hope so mate because to be honest at the moment on merit then FW should be Volk vs Max and MW should be Izzy vs Rob over and over and over again. I really hope new contenders come through soon!!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah, I think it’s amazing that he didn’t tap or show any effects....just looked a bit disappointed. Like ffs man, your arms floppy!
Crazy isn't it? Eugh. that arm..

justboy68

Haha yeah I'm with you there, Jacare is a warrior. Shame to see his downfall in recent fights. Hope he either retires or heals up and has one total gimme fight and then retires.

justboy68

I hope so mate because to be honest at the moment on merit then FW should be Volk vs Max and MW should be Izzy vs Rob over and over and over again. I really hope new contenders come through soon!!
We'll see how Ortega looks, he was exceptional in his last fight. It could be a case of Max having Ortega's number but he might match up well against Volk.

Reditus

Ortega could well beat Volkanovski. Unfortunately we have to wait for a series of TUF before we see it. He would be a very exciting champion

MW at the moment, yeah I’m not sure who. But there will be someone, but probably not Vettori who fights Israel next

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Allen, Evloev, Topuria, Chikadze, TRT Yair, etc... Featherweights are OK. The problem is not lack of contenders, but that the top ranked doesn't fight guys not ranked, which delays the replacement of talent.

MW looks to lack a bit more of top talent depth, but it's a matter of time.

justboy68

Ortega could well beat Volkanovski. Unfortunately we have to wait for a series of TUF before we see it. He would be a very exciting champion

MW at the moment, yeah I’m not sure who. But there will be someone, but probably not Vettori who fights Israel next
Their last fight was actually really close. I have Vettori as a live underdog in that one, especially with Israel coming off a loss.

kidbob

We'll see how Ortega looks, he was exceptional in his last fight. It could be a case of Max having Ortega's number but he might match up well against Volk.
Yeah but even then Max absolutely destroys him again and we are left with Volk and Max anyway.

kidbob

Allen, Evloev, Topuria, Chikadze, TRT Yair, etc... Featherweights are OK. The problem is not lack of contenders, but that the top ranked doesn't fight guys not ranked, which delays the replacement of talent.
I agree to an extent but for me Max and Volk destroy every single fighter you mention. I mean I had hope for Kattar and Max literally took his soul. Just like Rob has beaten every 'contender' that Izzy could fight and lets be honest Rob would destroy Vettori very easily.

My point is that we have yet to see a contender come through that can even beat the number 2 in the division let alone the champ. And even if they beat the champ they will likely lose to the number 2 anyway.

kidbob

However if Ortega beats Volk then Max beats the absolute shit out of him again. And if Vettori beats Izzy then Rob destroys him (a wrestler with no striking is tailor made for Rob). Then we inevitably end up with Volk vs Max and Rob vs Izzy. We need a kind of McGregor at FW type person who can possibly beat both the number 1 and 2.

kidbob

Anyway sorry I'm distracting!! These are conversations for when fights aren't happening. Enjoy lads!

justboy68

Isn't that Jiu Jitsu, though?
Not the sport side of jiu jitsu, so the idea is to make it so that more of the jiu jitsu that is effective in MMA is effective in combat jiu jitsu too. The knock against the sport of jiu jitsu is that leglocks and positions that would otherwise be extremely vulnerable with strikes legal have been fairly dominant.

Main card starting now. Let's go Edson!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not the sport side of jiu jitsu, so the idea is to make it so that more of the jiu jitsu that is effective in MMA is effective in combat jiu jitsu too. The knock against the sport of jiu jitsu is that leglocks and positions that would otherwise be extremely vulnerable with strikes legal have been fairly dominant.
Fair enough. Did they copy combat sambo then cause couldn't handle that smoke? Ha!

Reditus

However if Ortega beats Volk then Max beats the absolute shit out of him again. And if Vettori beats Izzy then Rob destroys him (a wrestler with no striking is tailor made for Rob). Then we inevitably end up with Volk vs Max and Rob vs Izzy. We need a kind of McGregor at FW type person who can possibly beat both the number 1 and 2.
I know it’s not a very scientific way to think, but I know from watching this sport for 15 years, there is always more coming through. Shelf life is rarely very long and in two years time the whole divisions may well look entirely different

Edit: GSP and Anderson obviously dispels my not long shelf life theory. But it’s generally true

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Find it weird that the officials and staff around the ring are all masked up, then there’s a few thousand people behind them with barely a mask in sight

Reditus

His brain just said feck it, no more

He has no idea why that happend