The MMA thread

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Fedor beats Brock, Carwin, Cain and JDS and they'd all become cans instantly. They have no records. Only reason they're considered top level is they're considered worthy challengers to Fedor. He defeats them they become nobodies. Only people that matter in the HW division are people who might have a chance at Fedor, only reason the UFC HW division matters. My nan could tell the world she'd beat the shit out of Fedor, get a KO against Frank Mir and be considered a top heavyweight contender, perhaps one of the greatest of all time (By Dana anyway).

Personally I think Fedor isn't long from retirement. At this point I suppose he wants Werdum and Barnett since they have victories over Aleks.

EZee

he has said he wants to get into training young fighters recently... who knows maybee a stunt on tuf :lol:

no seriousley i could see him retiring in the next 2 or 3 years as well...

and don16... in fairness i myself said i thought he was slipping in the p4p rankings due to not having top top level fights... but i dont see him slipping in the hw as to become no1 in that division somebody needs to win against fedor... anything other fights just shuffle the pack for the no2 slot imo

UBERScholes

I know Fedor was saying he was keen to avenge Aleks by taking on Werdum, I haven't heard anything about a fall out since. But I wouldn't be surprised, they seem like completely different people!

I really like Aleks, would love to see him in the UFC. I think he's a great talent. But then there are the rumours about health problems ...

Nucks

RT History Department
Because the UFC has the best heavyweights in the world, it's undebyable. You think the likes of JDS, Lesnar and Carwin should have to leave the UFC in order to prove they're the best? And by proving the best, by fighting a guy who has just had bums practically fed to him for the past few years? if Fedor wants a challenge, he'll go to the UFC. Theres only 1 fight for him outside the UFC, and its Overeem, who I think will end up in the UFC at some stage anyway.
The problem with this is the UFC hype machine. Once upon a time, Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Gabriel Gonzaga, Fabrecio Werdum and Randy Couture were the hyped UFC heavy weights that "Fedor had to beat to prove he was still the p4p king".

Basically how it works is this; whomever the current crop of hyped UFC heavy weights are, will be "the best guys in the division" because the UFC hype machine, and the UFC fanbois will propagate that belief to all corners of the internet.

Just keep watching the UFC heavy weights as they start to weed themselves out.

Now, would I like to see Fedor in the UFC? Yes. However even with Fedor not going to the UFC I can still see that he is the best HW out there. There are better fights for him OUTSIDE the UFC than inside it still. Sure we'd all like to see Cock Chestnar and Fedor go at it, but old Brock is so green, so inexperienced he still has plenty to prove before Fedor.

Tim Sylvia in shape knocks out or decisions MOST of the current "hyped" UFC heavy weights, and this coming from someone who thinks Goober is just about the most annoying, overhyped HW in MMA history. Goober = Timmay btw.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Alright, fair enough. I think we all have good points - Yet I just think that Fedor isnt fighting the top competition out there, that was my original point. I'd be criticising any fighter in the world who was touted as one of the best in the world. And I genuinely think the UFC has the best heavyweights in the world.

Don16

Annoying cnut
The problem with this is the UFC hype machine. Once upon a time, Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Gabriel Gonzaga, Fabrecio Werdum and Randy Couture were the hyped UFC heavy weights that "Fedor had to beat to prove he was still the p4p king".

Basically how it works is this; whomever the current crop of hyped UFC heavy weights are, will be "the best guys in the division" because the UFC hype machine, and the UFC fanbois will propagate that belief to all corners of the internet.

Just keep watching the UFC heavy weights as they start to weed themselves out.

Now, would I like to see Fedor in the UFC? Yes. However even with Fedor not going to the UFC I can still see that he is the best HW out there. There are better fights for him OUTSIDE the UFC than inside it still. Sure we'd all like to see Cock Chestnar and Fedor go at it, but old Brock is so green, so inexperienced he still has plenty to prove before Fedor.

Tim Sylvia in shape knocks out or decisions MOST of the current "hyped" UFC heavy weights, and this coming from someone who thinks Goober is just about the most annoying, overhyped HW in MMA history. Goober = Timmay btw.
There's better fights outside the UFC for Fedor? Seriously? Like who?

EZee

I know Fedor was saying he was keen to avenge Aleks by taking on Werdum, I haven't heard anything about a fall out since. But I wouldn't be surprised, they seem like completely different people!

I really like Aleks, would love to see him in the UFC. I think he's a great talent. But then there are the rumours about health problems ...
his wiki says they stopped training together in 06... im sure there was apparently a falling out but its a few years ago and i cant remember so perhaps it was something and nothing... some interesting stuff on his wiki though

this is from his wiki page...

Personal life

Aleksandr married his wife, Olga, on September 4, 2004. The couple resides in Saint Petersburg and have a daughter, Olya, who was born in September 2007.[7] The couple also has another daughter who was born in 2009.[8]

Aleksandr has an older daughter named Ksyusha from a previous relationship. [9]

In an interview, his brother Fedor confirmed that Aleksandr had spent time in a prison for robbery. Aleksandr was sentenced to 5 years but was released after 3.5 years.[10]

Emelianenko has claimed that he killed a bear by trapping its head with a fork-like staff and stabbing it in the heart with a knife. This is a traditional, but not common, way of Russian bear hunting.[7]

Aleksandr's tattoos are a constant source of questions from his fans and journalists. Aleksandr explained their meaning in his interview on Fedor’s official website.[2]
[edit] Tattoos

* Right arm: Cathedral with five domes: symbolizes five years of imprisonment.
* Shoulders: Stars: Symbolize a "career criminal" or Vor v Zakone in Russian (English translation: thief in law).
o Shoulders: More recently he has covered up the Stars with Clouds.
o Aleksander has recently added a tattoo of Muhammad Ali to his shoulder.
* Left shoulder: cobweb: Aleksandr did not explain its meaning other than saying that contrary to what has been suggested by some, it does not have anything to do with the Mafiya. In Russian prisons, tattoos using this symbol typically denote drug addiction or robbery.
* Chest: The Battle of Kulikovo.
* Left shoulder: Russian script.
* Left forearm: Half cat’s head, half skull: “Homo homini lupus est.” Translated: Man is a wolf to his fellow-man.
* Back: Grim Reaper holding a baby.
* Back: "Gott Mit Uns", meaning “God is with us” in German: for Aleksandr, it’s a symbol of revival. This tattoo caused a controversy, since this slogan was written on belt buckles of German soldiers in the Third Reich. For many Russian prisoners the phrase means you are totally opposed to the soviet penal system.[citation needed] This phrase was very popular among prisoners during the 60's and 70's.[citation needed]
* Knees: Stars: symbolize that the owner will never be brought to his knees. These tattoos also stirred up controversy, after a picture published on his website revealed a swastika in the middle.[11]
* Pirate tattoo: stands for article 167 of Russian Criminal Code: “armed robbery”.
* “Fortis fortuna adiuvat” Translated: Fortune favors the bold.
* A name on his lower abs ('Marina'). Later covered by a tribal tattoo.
* A spider web on scalp.

EZee

There's better fights outside the UFC for Fedor? Seriously? Like who?
lets say the top 6 in the ufc
lesnar
carwin
valasquez
dos santos
mir
noguera

and outside the ufc
steriod machine
barnett
werdum
antonio silva
rodgers
arlovski

good fights available both in and out of the ufc

if i was to make a top 10 id probably have

fedor
lesnar
carwin
valasquez
overeem
dos santos
barnett
mir
werdum
Rogers

so imo only about half the top 10 hw's are in the ufc...

but there is a lot of talent outside the ufc...

get their spin machine behind alvarez, mendelez, aoki, diaz, shields, king mo, moussasi, barnett, overeem or fedor and they would all suddenly be recognised as amongst the elite in their division...

fedor is top of the tree and there is enough quality fights (provided he wins them) outside the ufc to keep him there...

if a carwin or lesnar wants to prove themselves to be the best its up to step into fedors house and square up

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
News from the Grant camp: TJ was denied his re-match, Dana felt the judging in the fight was fair and YJ has now been "relegated" to fight night potential instead of undercard, which may not be a bad call for his exposure.

Devilton

why do people always say fedor must go to the ufc...

he owns a % of m1 so if they wont co-promote he makes more money not being in the ufc...

how about if lesnar, mir etc want to test themselves aginst the best in the world they go and fight fedor...

personally i wouldnt be surprised to see mir go after his ufc contract is up if he is not in the title mix...
UFC is the biggest show in the world for MMA fighters today. A few years ago it made sense for guys to jump over to Pride, K1, Dream but right now everything else pales in comparison to UFC.

And as to the question of why Fedor should join...the answer isn't to do with money. Fedors made his money. It's to do with solidifying his status as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. He could go his career undefeated but if he never joins the UFC the best of the rest there will always be a doubt as to just how good Fedor really was.

Fedor's a great fighter, but to be P4P King he's got to fight the best of the best, not the cans and the UFC rejects that he's been fighting for the last few years. IF he comes in and beats the shit out of the likes of Carwin, Lesner, Junior Dos Santos and Valesquez then there will be no doubt that he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

Oh...

and Mir isn't leaving the UFC. He's been with them for almost 10 years and lives in Las Vegas where the UFC holds most its events. He's got too big off an ego to move to a lesser organization. The UFC will feed him some cans and he'll get another shot at Lesner in less then 2 years time cause people want to see that fight.

Devilton

but there is a lot of talent outside the ufc...

get their spin machine behind alvarez, mendelez, aoki, diaz, shields, king mo, moussasi, barnett, overeem or fedor and they would all suddenly be recognised as amongst the elite in their division...
Shields is in the ufc.

Diaz was kicked out of the ufc...

Overeem, Moussasi I expect at some point to join the UFC.

Fact is, UFC is growing bigger and at some point guys who have won a belt in the other organizations will want to play in the big leagues. It's inevitable. The only one who can resist the lure is Fedor because a) He's loaded already and doesn't need the money. b) His managers have a vested interested in keeping him out of Uncle Fester and UFC's clutches.

The fans want Fedor in the UFC because he deserves to fight the best. I say just bow down to his demands, sign him up for 5 fights and put him in the cage with the animals and see who comes out when the bell rings for the final time.

Chimera

Anyone else see last nights TUF?

Tito needs eye surgery as well as his neck if he thinks that was a kick to the chest. It's a shame Liddell can't kick his ass any time soon.

Not sure if it's a spoiler but just in case.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Shields is in the ufc.

Diaz was kicked out of the ufc...

Overeem, Moussasi I expect at some point to join the UFC.

Fact is, UFC is growing bigger and at some point guys who have won a belt in the other organizations will want to play in the big leagues. It's inevitable. The only one who can resist the lure is Fedor because a) He's loaded already and doesn't need the money. b) His managers have a vested interested in keeping him out of Uncle Fester and UFC's clutches.

The fans want Fedor in the UFC because he deserves to fight the best. I say just bow down to his demands, sign him up for 5 fights and put him in the cage with the animals and see who comes out when the bell rings for the final time.
Couldn't agree more.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Anyone else see last nights TUF?

Tito needs eye surgery as well as his neck if he thinks that was a kick to the chest. It's a shame Liddell can't kick his ass any time soon.

Not sure if it's a spoiler but just in case.
Just watched it.

Tito in "making absolute knob out of himself" shocker. I was really hoping one of Chucks lads would go and smack him, same with that little fat bastard shouting stuff aswell. Idiots, it was a clear DQ, Tavares was knocked the feck out, and it was quite a vicious kick. By the way, have you noticed Chucks speech really getting bad? He speaks so much slower now and alot of the times just mumbles, quite worrying.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
So, in a few hours UFC 114 kicks off.

For a long time I thought Rashad would beat Rampage via decision, but having watched the weigh ins, I'm not so sure. Rampage looked like a lean and mean muthafecka.

The fight I'm most looking forward to is Hathaway vs Sanchez.

Burndogg

Magic Meat
So, in a few hours UFC 114 kicks off.

For a long time I thought Rashad would beat Rampage via decision, but having watched the weigh ins, I'm not so sure. Rampage looked like a lean and mean muthafecka.

The fight I'm most looking forward to is Hathaway vs Sanchez.
I think rashad will win it, hope not, it will be interesting to see Todd Duffee fight again. And Amir Saddollah, love the guy.

UBERScholes

I like Amir Sadollah as well, he should be on the main card.

Hoping Hathaway can beat Sanchez too

I keep changing my mind between Rashad and Rampage. Could definitely go either way. I didn't see the weigh ins but heard Rashad got boo'd by the crowd there. Made me feel bad for him because I think he's a good guy, so now I'm kind of rooting for him. Although still want Rampage vs Shogun. Going to be a strange fight :D

UBERScholes

:lol: Mike Russow vs Todd Duffee :lol: One of the best things I've ever seen in UFC

UBERScholes

Good performance from Rashad. Rampage had the chance to finish him but looked surprisingly cautious and tired the whole fight, wasn't up for it at all

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rampage had his chance. Shouldn't have let Rashad recover from the brief ground and pound in the 3rd.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Very disappointed with Rampage. There was a full minute where Rashad was clearly wobbly and not moving half as well as he was otherwise in the fight, and Rampage did... nothing! He just slowly circled, a good few feet from Rashad at all times.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Very disappointed with Rampage. There was a full minute where Rashad was clearly wobbly and not moving half as well as he was otherwise in the fight, and Rampage did... nothing! He just slowly circled, a good few feet from Rashad at all times.
The only rational explanation was that Rampage's cardio was very poor and instead of going after Rashad, used the time to himself recover, which in turn allowed Rashad to come back and control the rest of the fight.

UBERScholes

Seems like the most important moment of the fight was Rashad rocking Rampage early on, took all the fire out of him and maybe scared him a little, didn't want to engage at all after that.

Well done to Evans, but not too excited about seeing him fight Shogun. But on that showing, you'd think Rampage would get murdered by Shogun, considering what Shogun did to him before.

Good win for Hathaway against Sanchez. Sanchez didn't really have anything for him. Amazed that he survived that knee in round 1 though, that was nasty!

Brilz vs Lil *** was a surprising fight, wasn't expecting it to go the way it did. Thought Brilz should have taken the decision, deserves a rematch.

Duffee vs Russow :lol: That was special. I want Russow vs JDS

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was impressed with Rashad's conditioning. Think he'd give Shogun a good run for his money, and possibly beat him.

Nucks

RT History Department
Rampage is dumb as shit.

The dumbest fighter in UFC history.

Name Changed

weso26
I was very disappointed with Rampage. That fight was his in the third, but he let Rashad recover for about a minute before touching him again. Idiot.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Rampage is a fecking idiot, plain and simple. One of my favourite fighters, but christ almighty i was just shouting at the telly for rampage just to hit him again. I think he was cautious about the takedown.

How about Hathaway? Arguably british MMA's biggest ever victory. Very impressed with him.

Spammy

Got my prediction spot on for the Evans vs Rampage fight. So pleased and somewhat surprised by Hathaway! Totally outclassed Diego in every department, though feck knows how that knee to the face didn't actually kill him.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It probably said more about Diego at 170 than it did Hathaway, but only by virtue of saying a lot about Diego at 170. Hathaway is definitely a new favourite of mine, and I think he'll go far.

UBERScholes

I decided I'd watch some WEC last night, I'd pretty much ignored it until now. But consider Jose Aldo is always rated as one of the best around at the moment I went for WEC48. Really thrilling stuff! Featherweights make for some brutal MMA.

Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung was a classic, and I was cringing all through the Aldo vs Faber fight seeing Aldo's leg kicks, nasty stuff. But all the fights were impressive with a high pace. One of the best MMA events I've seen in a long time

Spammy

I decided I'd watch some WEC last night, I'd pretty much ignored it until now. But consider Jose Aldo is always rated as one of the best around at the moment I went for WEC48. Really thrilling stuff! Featherweights make for some brutal MMA.

Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung was a classic, and I was cringing all through the Aldo vs Faber fight seeing Aldo's leg kicks, nasty stuff. But all the fights were impressive with a high pace. One of the best MMA events I've seen in a long time
Have you seen the pictures of Faber's leg after the fight?

UBERScholes

Yeah, bit swollen :lol: Grim watching that fight, seeing a guy practically crippled by leg kicks, not being able to do anything about it