The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

I'm not even sure he really wants to be here anymore and I think everyone knows that the sack is inevitable, which, to me at least, is the most depressing thing about this situation. However, if there really are splits in the camp it would be interesting to see if Jose could take a team with 'his' players through to at least January. Let's assume we know who is on Jose's side.

DDG
Valencia Smalling Lindelof Young
Fellaini, Fred, Matic
Lingard Lukaku Rashford

god, that midfield looks average without Pogba :(

USREDEVIL

The board are even more clueless. They won’t sack him until we are officially out of the CL qualification running.
If losing out on an UCL spot was not inevitable that might make a bit of sense. As things stand it's financial and footballing suicide. (Ok mods a bit dramatic...gotta get the clickbait).

Vadim

I'm not even sure he really wants to be here anymore and I think everyone knows that the sack is inevitable, which, to me at least, is the most depressing thing about this situation. However, if there really are splits in the camp it would be interesting to see if Jose could take a team with 'his' players through to at least January. Let's assume we know who is on Jose's side.

DDG
Valencia Smalling Lindelof Young
Fellaini, Fred, Matic
Lingard Lukaku Rashford

god, that midfield looks average without Pogba :(
It looks average with Pogba though. He is just flicks and tricks, he's hugely overrated.

Sir Scott McToMinay

What’s with the Henry to United suggestions?
Couldn’t stand him as a player and that Arsenal team, full of arrogant pricks.
Million times less likeable than the current City or Liverpool teams personal-wise.
Wouldn’t want Henry anywhere near Old Trafford, I would rather see Moyes and Lumsden back at the dugout.

Rolaholic

It looks average with Pogba though. He is just flicks and tricks, he's hugely overrated.
Yet he's still been our best player this season bar Shaw

We all saw just how formidable a MF without him looked against the mighty Derby County Rams...

Pace Abuser

I refuse to attend games until he's sacked . I'm going to laugh at our woeful play in the meantime and mock the fraud of a manager he has become. I hope the money warms him up at night because the glory has long lost its glow.

Smores

Came over at the end and gave his shirt away too. Luke knows his teammates didn't put a shift in and it isn't all joses fault some people on here should take note

https://www.90min.com/posts/6185370...ates-apologises-to-fans-after-west-ham-defeat
Needs it's own thread this as it's got lost amongst moans. It's very interesting that a player so berated by the manager is saying that Jose actually wants these things.

Either jose and our coaches are incompetent and/or our players are sabotaging.

Smores

I refuse to attend games until he's sacked . I'm going to laugh at our woeful play in the meantime and mock the fraud of a manager he has become. I hope the money warms him up at night because the glory has long lost its glow.
:lol: state, have fun

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
When he does go, do people think he is finished with the Premier League for good?

Chelsea: Can't see a third stint.
Arsenal, Liverpool & City: Fans would never have him.
Spurs: Pretty sure they hate him just as much as the above three.

Woziak

What credentials does Evra have? Just because he's a leader and understands United doesn't make him suitable for the assistant position.
Who said assistant, he would be an assistant coach like McKenna and Carrick. Zidane would be head coach not general Manager so need for an Assistant Manager like we had under Sir Alex.

Complete restructure is needed with a new Director of Football too.

Last edited:

bonothom

If we are 6th or 7th at Christmas and still have an outside chance of top 4 then he won't be sacked. It's another Moyes season. Forget realistic chance of the title, the owners are only interested in top 4 and preserving the sponsorship deals. United are the new Arsenal.

Woziak

One main problem with Jose at United is the fact that his family have not joined him in Manchester. This is the first time he has been away from them too. Going home to a empty hotel compared being used to seeing his family on a daily basis previously must have had a effect on him. He just comes across like a isolated figure.

Think he said something along the lines of his son never has come to Manchester, but has been to Paris and watched one of their games a year ago.

Apparently some of those on this Forum suggest that this is no big deal, I on the otherhand completley agree with this point!

RedRover

Is there genuinely anybody who can see him turning this around now? Not after a bite, I’m just interested.

The fact that this has descended into open warfare between players and managers surely makes his position untenable?

Ether

When he does go, do people think he is finished with the Premier League for good?

Spurs would probably take him if they felt he could keep them relevant in the top 6. It wouldn't be as shocking as George Graham taking over there.

Failing that, if a club got taken over by some oligarch and wanted to make a splash with a big name manager he'd probably be an appealing choice.

RedRover

If we are 6th or 7th at Christmas and still have an outside chance of top 4 then he won't be sacked. It's another Moyes season. Forget realistic chance of the title, the owners are only interested in top 4 and preserving the sponsorship deals. United are the new Arsenal.
They’re also interested in marketable players like Paul Pogba - a player who’ll be on strike before the seasons out of Mourinho remains.

Moyes and LVG were happy to sit tight and not rock the boat. Everyday with Mourinho is another soundbite.

He’s damaging the brand. That has consequences over and above making the top 4 or otherwise. I think that’s why he’ll leave the club with no option.

clarkydaz

One main problem with Jose at United is the fact that his family have not joined him in Manchester. This is the first time he has been away from them too. Going home to a empty hotel compared being used to seeing his family on a daily basis previously must have had a effect on him. He just comes across like a isolated figure.

Think he said something along the lines of his son never has come to Manchester, but has been to Paris and watched one of their games a year ago.
His son was in the dugout/staff for a game this season at OT. Which I was surprised he was never questioned about, as I found that a pisstake

C'est Moi Cantona

Is there genuinely anybody who can see him turning this around now? Not after a bite, I’m just interested.

The fact that this has descended into open warfare between players and managers surely makes his position untenable?
I don't think he wants it himself, so no.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Probably not, but i don't see anyone else making much of a difference with these players in the short term either.

Ask people on here who they want to take over from the realistic (easily available) options and you would get at least 10 different answers with Zidane on top because he's the biggest name. If the club rushes into it without a plan like the last 3 managers it's destined to fail again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The board are even more clueless. They won’t sack him until we are officially out of the CL qualification running.
The board made the mistake of giving Moyes too much time when all and sundry top 4 was gone, it ended up costing them a fortune in CL revenue on top of the compensation paid to Moyes after he was eventually sacked. They went and compounded that error by doing the exact same thing in LVG's second season and again it cost them a small fortune. To do the same with Mourinho would be borderline gross negligence and they should sack themselves.

Everyone and their dog knows Jose is not going to turn this around, especially not after losing the dressing room, he has to go now while there is still a possibility of salvaging something from the season.

RooneyLegend

They won't sack Mourinho before it's impossible for us to play in the Champions League next year and rightly so.
That's madness, what would that achieve? Every day we wait we digging this hole a little deeper.
Careful what you wish for. The sacking of JM might well only highlight the ineptitude of the whole 'house of cards'. What's going to happen when it becomes apparent to Zidane or whoever that he faces the same problems too?
No one should be defending people that are being given 400 million pounds and still fail. If we end up right here, get rid and hire someone else.
Still not sacked...every morning...it’s the hope that kills you
:LOL:Sad but true.

klsv

That's madness, what would that achieve? Every day we wait we digging this hole a little deeper.
The last two season gave no reason to sack him. We couldn't have sacked him after he won two titles in his first season. We couldn't have sacked him after finishing second last year. The Sevilla debacle and our style of play put aside, we just couldn't have sacked him. Now we've had a horrific start to the season, but even Moyes wasn't sacked seven games into a league season, in hindsight, we should have but back then it took me more than seven matches to want him out. But my main reason for being one of the three idiots on these forums who are willing to give another season to Mourinho another season is that I cannot see any good long-term replacement for him before the season is over. Will be very hard to lure someone away from their current club mid-season and I really don't see how a caretaker in Carrick would change anything. But what the club does is not in my control, just I can't see the board sacking him yet.

ash_86

Not in PL but Inter would be a good shout. Perfect underdog club for him.

Anfieldroad

Supports
Liverpool
As a pool fan im only fully aware of how damaged your club is at the moment. When we lost our aura especially at home the rot set in quickly and we fell far and hard. I see similarities with the current debacle at Utd. Mourinho was never the right fit for a club like yours. The DNA of Utd is attractive,attacking play with skillful wingers and a top drawer centre forward.

Unless the next manager gets this then it wont matter who he is or how good his CV is. The next manager needs to completely revamp the squad and basically start again. It will be a hard road back but one that might last. A bold and brave call needs to be made by the board but have they got the cojones?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedRover

Probably not, but i don't see anyone else making much of a difference with these players in the short term either.

Ask people on here who they want to take over from the realistic (easily available) options and you would get at least 10 different answers with Zidane on top because he's the biggest name. If the club rushes into it without a plan like the last 3 managers it's destined to fail again.
Why?

Sarri has been at Chelsea a few months and they look like a different team. He’s brought a couple of players in but hasn’t rebuilt the side. The players are buying into his system and they look confident.

United are light of quality in certain positions but we have numerous talented players, most of whom haven’t produced anything like their best form under Mourinho.

Regardless. Keeping him on with this sideshow just because you might not be certain where to go next could be disastrous. Those running the club should have see this meltdown coming a mile off and to be honest, I think they may have - hence limiting his funds in case it all went wrong.

Boycott

Not in PL but Inter would be a good shout. Perfect underdog club for him.
Doubt he'll go back. He'll be welcomed back as a hero but he won't top what he did there before and the Chelsea second stint might have taught him to never go back.

He's managed big clubs everywhere so it rules out their direct rivals. Also his style and behaviour will put him off some clubs. He's never been in Germany but I can't see him ever getting the Bayern job.

The only club that expects to challenge for the Champions League he has a big chance at is PSG. After that he'll have to do what Benitez and Ancelotti are doing and set his sights a little lower. Younger managers are now getting the attention and big clubs are invariably looking for new ideas.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why?

Sarri has been at Chelsea a few months and they look like a different team. He’s brought a couple of players in but hasn’t rebuilt the side. The players are buying into his system and they look confident.

United are light of quality in certain positions but we have numerous talented players, most of whom haven’t produced anything like their best form under Mourinho.

Regardless. Keeping him on with this sideshow just because you might not be certain where to go next could be disastrous. Those running the club should have see this meltdown coming a mile off and to be honest, I think they may have - hence limiting his funds in case it all went wrong.
I just don't see any of the options available making that much difference. Current favourites with the bookies are the likes of Zidane, Conte, Ancelotti, Blanc, all very uninspiring.

Sarri would have been interesting, a manager with a specific style of play. At Chelsea he had a good defensive base to start with and has bought two midfielders who are key to his system. They also have the best player in the league. I'm not sure which part of our team you can hang your hat on to say it's a position of strength to build on.

My opinion is nothing will happen until the end of the season anyway, mainly because of what it will cost to sack him.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I just don't see any of the options available making that much difference. Current favourites with the bookies are the likes of Zidane, Conte, Ancelotti, Blanc, all very uninspiring.

Sarri would have been interesting, a manager with a specific style of play. At Chelsea he had a good defensive base to start with and has bought two midfielders who are key to his system. They also have the best player in the league. I'm not sure which part of our team you can hang your hat on to say it's a position of strength to build on.

My opinion is nothing will happen until the end of the season anyway, mainly because of what it will cost to sack him.
To be honest, even if the football stayed the same, getting a new manager with a bit more class would still represent an improvement. At least we wouldn't have to put up with mourinho constantly fighting his own fecking players, shitting on the name of the club, and generally being good for absolutely nothing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I've threatened to stay unless The Sun is banned.

BULB

I think it's pretty obvious Jose is trying to get himself sacked now. He's supposedly not talking to Valencia or Sanchez now.

If they sack him now he would legally probably have to be paid bonuses for winning the PL, CL and FA Cup.

There was absolutely no reason to sign him to a new contract half way through last season given he was on a three year deal. Total incompetence by the club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Zidane doesn't commit himself to come now then I believe Mou will remain till the end of the season

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Zidane doesn't commit himself to come now then I believe Mou will remain till the end of the season
I "Urgh" at the thought of that.

I do think he'll stay till January or even beyond. We're too cumbersome to take action prior.

Rednotdead

He's lost the dressing room, he's lost the majority of the fans. Keeping him in place is beyond ridiculous - but we know from past experience the Board will just dither along, probably to the end of the season or when it's mathematically impossible for us to get 4th place.

Hawks2008

Is anyone really surprised? The story of the scorpion and the frog springs to mind, and we're the frog.

Status
Not open for further replies.