g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAGREB RED

I don't think a new man will come in and transform United overnight into EPL/CL winners but there are so many players currently under performing at OT just now it's criminal. If Mourinho's style of anti-football was actually working then people might see it as a means to an end, but United are heading down a steep hill with no brakes.
Saying he had to play McTominay as a third CB to allow Martial to play as he doesn't defend properly takes the biscuit along with his claims that he makes these sort of changes to prove his point rather than picking the best team for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

crossy1686

career ending
You're right but it's still an awful response. It's no different from Moyes saying he's playing RVP because people would say he would bench him. It means he's losing focus from the team and is getting more interested in fights with the media. Managers should never respond like they're giving a feck about is being said.
I agree, I'm not disputing the shittiness of the response but we have enough shit going on at the moment, we don't have to make stuff up as well.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I think the board will wait until after the difficult games before making a decision. No point throwing a new manager into the club
What is happening now is not because Jose was denied signings by the board. He's been backed quite heavily over the first 2 seasons and has managed to fall out with most of his signings.
He has fallen out with many players and is turning many against him. It looks like he wants to be sacked.
How do you think Bailly will feel when he plays McTominay ahead of him? How do you think Lindelof will feel being subbed and leaving McTominay on as a CB. No wonder the players look shot of any confidence!
He subbed Pogba and Martial when we were having our best spell in the game and really pressing West Ham.
Jose is toxic and will sacrifice anyone in order to make a point or make himself look better.
The line-up yesterday was just bizarre, especially against a team that has had such a poor start to the league.
We made West Ham look like Barcelona at times.
I think it's clear that most players are not on his side, if they were we'd at least look competitive out there. It's time to cut our losses and get rid of Jose. I can't believe the club gave him a 5 year extension last year.
Don't they know his past history....he made a few comments about PSG, flirted with them and the club offered him 5 extra years as they were afraid he'd leave!
that decision is right up there with Rooney's big extension from Moyes when it was clear he was over the hill.
The club is a shambles right now...it's painful to see how far we've fallen in just 6 seasons.
His contract expires in 2020, we have an option to extend it for a further season. It will still cost us over £25m to get rid of him, but keeping him will cost us the same wages and more in lost revenue from lack of champions league football and out of the cups and league title race by Christmas.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Why are you surprised, back in early 2010's he said "finishing 2nd is just being a best loser", this season he said "last season's 2nd is amongst my greatest achievements in my career" in another self-preservation stunt trying to portrait his squad as not being good enough.
It's all relative.

Finishing 2nd last year was quite an achievement because teams that are better than United finished below them.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
The Caretaker-Manager route does seem to be the most rational way out of this mess, and the most apt measure to be taken so as to give the board enough time to find JM's successor. I wonder if it is possible to offer a conditional contract to a free agent till the end of the season along the lines of "Get us into top 4 and you earn yourself a 2-year contract". Laurent Blanc comes to mind.

But as things stand, Carrick or McKenna would be the the most reasonable options for us, at least till the end of the season.

Reactions: Invictus

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Missing out on CL football will cost you in the region of £80-100m...
It depends on how well we do when we are in it. We earnt more from our Europa league win than we did from the CL last year (£44m vs £39m). Also salaries are supposedly reduced if we don't make it, but then there will be other factors like lost sponsorship etc.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
It's all relative.

Finishing 2nd last year was quite an achievement because teams that are better than United finished below them.
Chelsea didnt even turn up to the prem last year, yet you still somehow managed to lose to us in the FA cup

Pool were never going to overtake you either due to their Champions league run

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's all relative.

On the face of it yes. Now you start wondering if that was more down to their inadequacies than us being good. That is what Jose is doing to us. Making us re-look at everything he has done here.

Fracture90

It's all relative.

Chelsea were underperforming due to Conte falling out with his players and the board.

Liverpool went all in CL and only played enough in the league so that they can finish inside top4.

Arsenal had the knowledge of Wenger going out at the end of the season which probably played it's part in their performances.

Idk what happened to Spurs.

Us finishing 2nd last season has as much to do with rivals going "all in" in other competitions when they realised there no competing for the title, it's just us who went full throttle in order to finish as high as possible .

MV12

Changed my vote to OUT..

I really wanted Jose to do well with us (Like I would any manager), but things are just going from bad to worst.

The board including Ed Woodwood also should be sacked, along with a fair few of the players.. They have all shown an ineptitude of mega proportions..

Who should take over? that is now the question.

There needs to be a massive rebuild of the structure and implementation of our footballing philosophy.

Getting flashbacks regarding the day in which Jose was shown around Uniteds Training complex on his revealing.
Meeting Paddy Crerand in a small talk interview with the clubs official televised-media outlet MUTV.
Crerand sat there in cringey fawning adulation over Jose's appointment .
And out in the car-park was the lonely bitter figure of Sir Bobby Charlton. A man who was always against the appointment of the 'special one'.

I've never felt like I was in someones else's shoes that day like I was with Sir Bobby.Putting on a fake performance for the cameras. Desperately coming across as calm ,collected and generally happy with the appointment.There was a natural respect between United's previous manager Van Gaal and Charlton. Though the air of tension between Jose and Bobby was apparent.
That day I felt Bobby was introduced to the circus of Jose Mourinho and unfortunately Manchester United,who under previous leadership wanted to distance themselves away from such drama and focus purely on the sporting matters on the field.

A little bit of Sir Bobby Charlton died that day and in hindsight you can clearly see why.

kul m

Either Mourinho is sacked, because he will not walk.

or

Mourinho must be ruthless and demote the players he feels have no future or have bad attitude to the reserves, and galvanize the remaining players. Simple. Although I feel that this may be to late.

You only have to look at Sir Alex and what he did with....

- berbatov
- roy keane
- beckham
- van nistelrooy
- wayne rooney
- jaap stam

and there's probably more, but big names, top, top players, big personalities all felt the axe in some way when they crossed Sir Alex. It does not matter who and how good you are or think you are, the club is bigger and is the most important thing. Sir Alex exercised this and maintained his authority.

Last edited:

C3Pique

When picking transfers for my fantasy team I generally see who's playing against Huddersfield or Cardiff.

Now I'm looking at players who have to play us next. Jonjo Shelvey will be looking like prime Zidane next weekend.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

In other news, nice to know that Gary is still Moyes In! after all this time.
Ah yeah, the mess started after Moyes was sacked :rolleyes: hiring him in the first place was the first big misstep.

Vadim

I'll take this. Just a drop of something to go on is enough right now.
Yes it's where I am. I am fed up with Jose's depressing face and persona stinking out the place. He isn't a Manchester United manager, just like Moyes wasn't. Van Gaal I had a soft spot for and still do - he was funny, and had a gameplan which was dated but at least the players knew what they were doing.

Jose's time is up, he won't turn this around. He's thrown everyone under his defensive bus, we've not played football this bad since Moyes and he's spent a fortune. The suits might keep him around for a while yet but the clock is ticking.

The away fans might sing his name but there's also a lot of matchgoing fans that are sick of the football and they'll turn on him soon.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Yes it's where I am. I am fed up with Jose's depressing face and persona stinking out the place. He isn't a Manchester United manager, just like Moyes wasn't. Van Gaal I had a soft spot for and still do - he was funny, and had a gameplan which was dated but at least the players knew what they were doing.

Jose's time is up, he won't turn this around. He's thrown everyone under his defensive bus, we've not played football this bad since Moyes and he's spent a fortune. The suits might keep him around for a while yet but the clock is ticking.

The away fans might sing his name but there's also a lot of matchgoing fans that are sick of the football and they'll turn on him soon.
This is the main point for me in that there is no recovering from it now for Mourinho.

BootsyCollins

In other news, nice to know that Gary is still Moyes In! after all this time.
The mess started when we hired Moyes, not when we fired him.
Other i agree with Gary, the tops at the club who decide things are football clueless, and thats maybe or biggest problem.

Lets Hope they luck out with a manager who actually knows how to manage United next time.

Regalia

It's interesting to observe in this thread how naive people can be when their emotions and lack of understanding take precedent over rational thinking. Anything to satisfy their mental states and feed the notion that they are indeed right. This whole thread is just like the last few months of Moyes, then LVG. Once bitten, and all that. Similar situation, similar emotions, 6 years of the same bs but nobody learns. Let's bring in number 4 and we go again!

While Mourinho has his faults, the one-track hivemind thinking that our problems can be solved by sacking one man is desperation at best. These are the kind of simpletons that make Eddy Woody think he can get away with his noodle sponsorships and playing Football Manager with our club. When nobody can see past their noses, you can get away with murder.

If we are looking to get rid of Mourinho, then Eddy, dabmaster #Pogba and 2/3rds of our squad should follow him out the door. The management of footballing affairs, media handling, player recruitment, squad coaching, and player attitudes have mostly been a disgrace since SAF and our senior players left. (It was already going to shit while SAF was here, as some would have realised, but SAF being SAF held this massive sinking ship together) We cannot afford to go through another manager spending 750m or whatever and failing again because Woody decides he wants to buy Neymar to sell shirts.

Vadim

This is the guy people wanted to be our DoF
Gary Neville is stuck in the past when it comes to United. He's best ignored.

We need a new direction. We need a DoF. We need EW to stay upstairs and work on the Toaster Pocket sponsorships. We need a modern, attacking football manager with a strong philosophy which he'll stick with. We need to ship out the dross we've stuck with for so many years like Phil Jones, Felliani, Young and co. We need to bring in promising, technical, clever players and coach them to attack and win matches. We don't need big lumbering lumps and players that just sell shirts and think they're bigger than the club.

We need huge changes.

Skills

Snitch
This is the guy people wanted to be our DoF
People like Neville are also a huge fecking issue for the club. I'd say they've played a big role in keeping incompetent managers in the United job longer than they should be by putting pressure on the club to 'stick with United's values'.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ah yeah, the mess started after Moyes was sacked :rolleyes: hiring him in the first place was the first big misstep.
In all fairness, what did the next guy get out of those players? LVG shipped them all out. People laughed when Moyes said we needed 6 world class players. Since then we've spent about half a billion trying to fix the team. The truth is Fergies team grew old together and had one last push in them. When he left it deflated everything and those players couldn't get going again.

Not saying Moyes would have ever done anything here, but he was on a hiding to nothing with the team he inherited. Only problem is it was only him that could see this at the time.

Minimalist

Read Gary Neville’s book (or don’t as its shite). These people aren’t as wise as you think they are. He’s one of the most stubborn people in the game.

Whatever he thought 10 years ago - he still thinks it today. The man is incapable of changing his mind about anything.

People like him sitting on their arse in the studio (aside from being one of the worst English exports to the Spanish league ever), sniping at the club is more of an issue than us sacking Moyes.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Read Gary Neville’s book (or don’t as its shite). These people aren’t as wise as you think they are. He’s one of the most stubborn people in the game.

Whatever he thought 10 years ago - he still thinks it today. The man is incapable of changing his mind about anything.
You have probably just described every poster on here. Don't think I've come across a person that has backed down and conceded their argument on this forum.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Yep, our manager came out with it post-match. Incredible it hasn’t got more attention.
Not yesterday. He made the comment to Italian paper La Repubblica soon after the 2-0 Burnley win after the journo had cheekily suggested to Jose that he had paid for the plane that flew the anti-Woodward banner. It was probably a comment in jest, but I think deep down he means it.

Asger

feck off with that shit, one manager won the league with those players at a canter. Stop making excuses for piss poor management. He's lost the dressing room and I guarantee you Rio Ferdinand wouldnt have opened his mouth last night saying as much if he didnt know that. Or do you think Young and Carrick have just stopped talking to the ex united players. That was as targeted last night as any bullshit Jose has tried to pull.
Then maybe it’s time to sack every player who leak stuff to the press. Or at least suspended them with no wage. I have had enough of our so called players who clearly doesn’t give a shit about our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.