The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pep got 4 new defenders 2 CM , 2 wingers and 2 strikers. Oh 2 GK.

Jose has brought 3 Defenders, 3 CM, 2 Wingers and 2 Strikers. Oh 1 keeper.

Sorry if I can’t sympathies because he fell short by one player. I might be going off tangent but the point remains the same. Jose can plug holes like Pep. Yes he can’t spunk 50m on full backs but Pep also can’t spunk 80m on Center mids end of. If Jose had a set out plan of what he wanted to do with this team like Pep did. Maybe we wouldn’t be talking about sporadic spending with a first XI that plans worse than when he got here.
It's not about the amount, it's about the fecking quality. Jose can't buy 50m a pop defenders so he has to look at a tier below.

Pep can afford 250m on his back 5. Jose can't.

Christ you're limited. One manager spends 200m than another and you think it's comparable.

Mainoldo

It's not about the amount, it's about the fecking quality. Jose can't buy 50m a pop defenders so he has to look at a tier below.

Christ you're limited. One manager spends 200m than another and you think it's comparable.
But he can buy 80m midfielders and 90m pound striker. :)

Champagne Football

Jose just a walking contradiction these days.
Endless harping on about how if he'd gotten Perisic things would be different. You never hear Pep saying 'If only we'd gotten Jorginho and Sanchez things would be so different.
His latest outburst that we can't sign Spurs best players like before is a pop at Fergie. When Fergie realized he couldn't get Modric and Bale he went out and bought Zaha with a view to developing and had the vision to use a burnt out winger to deadly effect as a playmaker in central mid in Ryan Giggs.
Jose's endless rants are like that of a spoiled child who is in a constant sulk because he only got 4 new games for his new PS4 for xmas instead of the 7 he requested.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But he can buy 80m midfielders and 90m pound striker. :)
Means nothing. Higuain went for 100m too.

At the end of it all he's invested 250m or so less than Pep, so you can't compare the two from a transfer perspective.

Aloysius's Back 3

At the end of it all he's invested 250m or so less than Pep, so you can't compare the two from a transfer perspective.
I understand why this may be the reason that Jose can't win the league - but to be coming 8th or something after spending that much is appalling. No one really complained all that much about city winning the league over us - hate to say it; that's because they are a better team, with a better coach, with a better budget and a better players - not just one single way they are better than us; there is many. However - why are we so low now and against teams that hardly improved from the season before where we ended up 2nd?

Why has Jose ended up in his traditional 3rd year melt down at United? Even if he was not backed - why must a team he managed to get 2nd place out of now not be able to reach the same or similair again?

Liverpool have hardly improved that much on their first team basis with fabinho, keita, shaqiri barely getting a game. Spurs didnt spend anythiing. Arsenal look better due to the manager than a particular spending on player. Chelsea dont look as strong as they can be with me so far being disappointing with their goal keeper, seeing, kante seems slightly mismanaged, Morata is still not that good etc etc

Why are we going from a team that was 2nd to a team that find it to beat very basic teams? How is that got anything to do with a defender we never had in the first place?

Apokalips

I honestly don't understand how Jose still has people defending him. Managers get sacked on a daily basis at lesser clubs for far less. Also so many people are talking as if Pep is the only guy that is beating him..we're behind teams that can only dream of having the players we have. Yes, Pep has better resources, but from day one it was clear Pep had invoked an ethos on his team. You could see the potential in his first season, the same way you could when he went to Bayern. I remember watching video of Bayern training not long after Pep joined and being amazed at how quickly they were adapting to his style, he's clearly an incredible coach as much as we might hate to admit it because he is managing City. We, technically, saw progress last season because we finished 2nd, but we have gone far backwards this season and there can be NO excuses for that!

Honestly, I only care about Manchester United and our results. I don't even look at the league table these days. I don't care about Jose's past or his track record, it's clearly not working and he's clearly not been the same man since his time in Madrid. Even when he was in Madrid, watching him move Pepe into midfield and resort to kicking lumps out of Barca used to hurt me as a viewer. We really need to destroy this notion that Manchester United are some holier than thou entity that sticks by the manager regardless of evidence, because it is harming us and clearly the board feel the pressure from fans and the press to conform to this nonsensical strategy.

Reactions: SteveJ

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Since when does trying and failing to sign player = vetoing?

Foxbatt

Yes we are getting beat or outplayed by every team we play. It is not the issue of not beating City but getting outplayed by everyone even after spending all the money. If we cannot beat Brighton or Westham by not having Perisic then I do not know what the heck Jose is doing as a manager?

Apokalips

Yes we are getting beat or outplayed by every team we play. It is not the issue of not beating City but getting outplayed by everyone even after spending all the money. If we cannot beat Brighton or Westham by not having Perisic then I do not know what the heck Jose is doing as a manager?
Real talk! This is my issue!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agree but I'm not saying he should have got Lukaku at lower price. What I'm saying is Ed wasn't forced to pay for Lukaku. He agreed with Mourinho on that transfer, and disagreed with him on Perisic, so he bought Lukaku and vetoed Perisic. It's ultimately up to Ed to choose to spend the money or not and on whom. That's his job.
If woody vetoed the deal then we would be discussing how mean the club is for not supporting the manager

I am not a big fan of woody. I believe that we need football men to cover the football roles at board level. Having said that I have serious doubts if a DOF could do the trick with Mourinho. First of all the problem with the guy is his football is obsolete. This obsession with height, workrate and defensive football is indeed dying out. Secondly Mou had clashed with most of the DOFs he worked with from Valdano right to emenalo. The solution both Real and Chelsea came out with is similar to what we are soon coming with ie to let mou go.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
with hindsight the Sanchez deal was a crazy deal

at the time though I'd say 90% on here were delighted. Martial was in great form and I thought we'd added brilliant balance to our right wing. I couldn't believe it when Mourinho dumped Martial and that signing has really hurt us. It signalled the end of our season in many ways as we never played well with any consistency after it even to today.

What impact has those ridiculous wages had on Pogba or De Gea? had you said in January we'd be paying Sanchez the figures being mentioned I would have said no - I thought he'd get a Rooney style deal (200k plus bonuses).
We are supporters mate.Its natural for us to be excited about the new toy. This sort of wisdom is the difference between us who must pay to watch united play and a Manager who gets paid to manage United. If the manager can't keep his inner muppet in check and focus on the good of the team then we might as well hire a fan (Gaz?) to do his job.

cheeky_backheel

Sorry if I can’t sympathies because he fell short by one player. I might be going off tangent but the point remains the same. Jose can plug holes like Pep. Yes he can’t spunk 50m on full backs but Pep also can’t spunk 80m on Center mids end of. If Jose had a set out plan of what he wanted to do with this team like Pep did. Maybe we wouldn’t be talking about sporadic spending with a first XI that plans worse than when he got here.
and who did Mourinho inherit that were the equivalent of de bruyne, david silva, aguero, kompany, fernandinho and sterling?

Many of those guys still form the spine of the current team.

Pep started of with a better squad that were more suited to his style and bought more players that made it better. Even without spending so much, City had a PL competitive squad.

Mourinho inherited a lesser squad with no quality core players and had to first get rid of LvG players that were antithetical to his style.

There is really no comparison to Pep's luxury for any other PL team.

Needham

Are we still arguing about whether Mourinho should go?

We're eighth in the league FFS. Having spent as much as anyone bar City and paying the second-highest wage bill (assuming City are falsifying their published figures).

Our only method of scoring a goal is hoofing the ball toward a pair of Belgian giants, even though we have Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and Rashford in the squad.

At any other big club Mourinho would have been gone months ago.
Been numerous managerial changes since SAF but we still have this slow to fire policy. Vigorous booing from the stands after any 3 crap home performances would have seen him axed but it just doesn't happen.

spwd

His latest outburst that we can't sign Spurs best players like before is a pop at Fergie.

Jose's endless rants are like that of a spoiled child who is in a constant sulk because he only got 4 new games for his new PS4 for xmas instead of the 7 he requested.
What’s he said now?

Gurtej

In my opinion give him this year as no point changing managers in mid of the season. If he is able to turn the ship around and finish TOP 4, I say he deserves to carry on... anything else won’t cut it...

I have reasonable expectations and know we are far behind city and even pool (pains me to say)...but when I see us struggling to play Football against palace and young boys, trust me I can’t find any reason why we unable to perform..

The other issue I have is I can’t trust him for choosing the players.... it’s not like we haven’t spent any money and most of his buys are either no suitable to his own style or just not talented enough ...

Not sure if we can blame him entirely but he needs to be hold accountable for Bailey, Fred, Lukaku etc...

We need the spirit of Man Utd back... not sure how we get it but it won’t be with him

ZenMaster Coltrane

In my opinion give him this year as no point changing managers in mid of the season. If he is able to turn the ship around and finish TOP 4, I say he deserves to carry on... anything else won’t cut it...

I have reasonable expectations and know we are far behind city and even pool (pains me to say)...but when I see us struggling to play Football against palace and young boys, trust me I can’t find any reason why we unable to perform..

The other issue I have is I can’t trust him for choosing the players.... it’s not like we haven’t spent any money and most of his buys are either no suitable to his own style or just not talented enough ...

Not sure if we can blame him entirely but he needs to be hold accountable for Bailey, Fred, Lukaku etc...

We need the spirit of Man Utd back... not sure how we get it but it won’t be with him
I never understand this "Who can we get in the middle of the year, there's no point blah blah blah". This is triage. You salvage what you can. You liberate the players who are talented enough to be here so that they don't decide to leave. You show intent by repudiating this stifling style of football. If the manager you want is available, you have 5 months serving as a pre-season for next year otherwise just go with an interim manager. With this level of toxicity, the continual JM revisionist history in the name of self-preservation, waiting it out is the by far the worst option.

Top 4 is a commercial objective. It obviously impacts players who want to play CL and revenue but in terms of judging a Manchester United manager, that's not an achievement that rewards more time in the job.

In Rainbows

It's not about the amount, it's about the fecking quality
At the end of it all he's invested 250m or so less than Pep
It's not about the amount
Those are your own quotes just a few posts separating them too. So when someone brings up Pogba and Lukaku's amount of money, it's not about the amount. But it's about the individual amount when it comes to defenders as it's in Pep's favor. :mad:

Ace of Spades

Those are your own quotes just a few posts separating them too. So when someone brings up Pogba and Lukaku's amount of money, it's not about the amount. But it's about the individual amount when it comes to defenders as it's in Pep's favor. :mad:
:lol:

Fracture90

There's a quote floating on Reddit, where Perišić is saying he had contact with UTD but he chose to stay with Inter because Spalletti had promised him a bigger role. Between this admission and Willain himself saying he wanted to stay, it turns out manager was very much backed.

Fracture90

I am actually amazed and disappointed that some fans are considering his first season a success. Some people forget we were one shocking miss in the added time away from being eliminated by fecking Celta at OT, not to mention that Anderlecht took us to extra time. Oh yeah, we finished 6th, too. Great success.

I used to believe that he can turn it around. "This is Mourinho, after all", I used to tell myself. Not anymore. Not after Sevilla. And that was a long time ago and it's amazing that some still believe in him. Especially, when he has probably given up himself.
It truly is mind boggling tbh, bar is always lowered to excuse Mourinho.

NewMember

Why is everyone comparing him to pep? We are miles behind city both this year and last. People aren’t complaining because we’re not matching city stride for stride. They are complaining because we’re duking it out with Everton, Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester for the 7th spot.

It’s like a Newcastle fan saying “our manager hasn’t spent as much as Mourinho so he should get a pass no matter what.”

And yes, that’s how far we’ve fallen under this toxic egomaniac.

MDFC Manager

Endless harping on about how if he'd gotten Perisic things would be different. You never hear Pep saying 'If only we'd gotten Jorginho and Sanchez things would be so different.
His latest outburst that we can't sign Spurs best players like before is a pop at Fergie. When Fergie realized he couldn't get Modric and Bale he went out and bought Zaha with a view to developing and had the vision to use a burnt out winger to deadly effect as a playmaker in central mid in Ryan Giggs.
We somehow expected that an absolute self serving thundercnut of a man, would suddenly become saintly if appointed as United manager.

There's a quote floating on Reddit, where Perišić is saying he had contact with UTD but he chose to stay with Inter because Spalletti had promised him a bigger role. Between this admission and Willain himself saying he wanted to stay, it turns out manager was very much backed.
The final wall is beginning to crumble and fall, yet the Jose acolytes will continue defending him till their last breaths.

StretfordEnd95

City got De Bruyne for far less than we paid for Pogba...

MDFC Manager

Between that and Willian also admitting he didn't fancy a move, wiggle space for people defending Mourinho is getting ever more tight.
I honestly don't even get the attraction of defending him anymore. He's so obviously a spent force, with absolutely nothing to give to the world of football, let alone to a club like ours.

Well that's that then. Should be the end of that nonsense .
One can hope. But the Mourinho acolytes are actually a creative bunch, far more creative than their master is at football ironically :lol:

haram

Pep inherited de Bruyne, Fernandinho and David Silva in midfield. Jose inherited Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Fellaini. Wonder why we had to invest in CM...

M16Red

I find myself in the strange position of having to defend Mourinho but some of these pundits just say things because there's a camera on them.
Scholes has never been a fan of cameras, he is a Man utd fan and a critic of Jose. I agree this Scholes on 90% of what he says - its all about Mourinho not the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.