The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suvvernmanc

Pep inherited de Bruyne, Fernandinho and David Silva in midfield. Jose inherited Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Fellaini. Wonder why we had to invest in CM...
And Jose bought Matic, Fred and Pogba for nearly £190. One is shite, one doesn't play and one is inconsistent.

Pep bought Ilkay Gundogun, Bernardo Silva as added depth. City bought well. We haven't bought enough!

Fracture90

I honestly don't even get the attraction of defending him anymore. He's so obviously a spent force, with absolutely nothing to give to the world of football, let alone to a club like ours.
Way past trying to understand people defending him tbh.

haram

And Jose bought Matic, Fred and Pogba for nearly £190. One is shite, one doesn't play and one is inconsistent.

Pep bought Ilkay Gundogun, Bernardo Silva as added depth. City bought well. We haven't bought enough!
City were not what they were until they splashed on the defence. Anyway, all the information is there, still people ignore what the two managers inherited and how it affects how they invested in the team. Really dont want to get into it again.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Those are your own quotes just a few posts separating them too. So when someone brings up Pogba and Lukaku's amount of money, it's not about the amount. But it's about the individual amount when it comes to defenders as it's in Pep's favor. :mad:
Pep has spent 600m on his side. Jose has spent 350ish million.

One cannot spend as much as the other and therefore can't plug holes like the other. Moreover one had more areas to fix (Jose, needing a world class striker and midfielder since he didn't inherit an Augero or a KDB or a Silva), and so had to pay bigger amounts for such players.

Now, the original point was that Pep has plugged all the holes and Jose has failed. My counter was Jose can't spend what Pep spends. If he could, we'd have also spent 600ish million easily.

All the rest of the nittty gritty stuff is just tripe by the other poster to change the argument.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I understand why this may be the reason that Jose can't win the league - but to be coming 8th or something after spending that much is appalling. No one really complained all that much about city winning the league over us - hate to say it; that's because they are a better team, with a better coach, with a better budget and a better players - not just one single way they are better than us; there is many. However - why are we so low now and against teams that hardly improved from the season before where we ended up 2nd?

Why has Jose ended up in his traditional 3rd year melt down at United? Even if he was not backed - why must a team he managed to get 2nd place out of now not be able to reach the same or similair again?

Liverpool have hardly improved that much on their first team basis with fabinho, keita, shaqiri barely getting a game. Spurs didnt spend anythiing. Arsenal look better due to the manager than a particular spending on player. Chelsea dont look as strong as they can be with me so far being disappointing with their goal keeper, seeing, kante seems slightly mismanaged, Morata is still not that good etc etc

Why are we going from a team that was 2nd to a team that find it to beat very basic teams? How is that got anything to do with a defender we never had in the first place?
For fecksake I'm not debating why we are where we are. I'm just saying Mourinho can't spend how Pep spent overall. Some guy had claimed otherwise.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure why the need to compare United to only City on spending. Why not compare with other teams who have spent less, pay lower salaries and are still performing better?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For fecksake I'm not debating why we are where we are. I'm just saying Mourinho can't spend how Pep spent overall. Some guy had claimed otherwise.
Maybe that's true, but he doesn't need Pep money to be competitive.

This squad is a good squad, but he's not making the best of it. We struggle to score goals because we have zero attacking input in training, that much is clear.

We don't have intelligent attackers, they need guidance. Lukaku / Rashford / Lingard have great records for their national teams so saying they're bad players doesn't count.

Unfortunately I see this as a damaged relationship, the love has gone and we're just hanging on for reputations sake now, trying to work on something that isn't fixable.

Mainoldo

and who did Mourinho inherit that were the equivalent of de bruyne, david silva, aguero, kompany, fernandinho and sterling?

Many of those guys still form the spine of the current team.

Pep started of with a better squad that were more suited to his style and bought more players that made it better. Even without spending so much, City had a PL competitive squad.

Mourinho inherited a lesser squad with no quality core players and had to first get rid of LvG players that were antithetical to his style.

There is really no comparison to Pep's luxury for any other PL team.
Oh Sterling was quality now in 2015? This is why United supporters make me laugh. Well he inherited a better defence a team with the same league points, same amount of wins too. Seems ‘pretty’ equal to me. He then had the budget to buy Italy’s and Germany’s player of the year. Did Pep have that budget first season?

Mainoldo

Maybe that's true, but he doesn't need Pep money to be competitive.

This squad is a good squad, but he's not making the best of it. We struggle to score goals because we have zero attacking input in training, that much is clear.

We don't have intelligent attackers, they need guidance. Lukaku / Rashford / Lingard have great records for their national teams so saying they're bad players doesn't count.

Unfortunately I see this as a damaged relationship, the love has gone and we're just hanging on for reputations sake now, trying to work on something that isn't fixable.
Don’t sway off topic he just wants to know if Pep had more money than Jose. That’s it.

Mainoldo

Pep inherited de Bruyne, Fernandinho and David Silva in midfield. Jose inherited Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Fellaini. Wonder why we had to invest in CM...
You only named one CM. Ther rest Pep converted to CM. So your argument is shot. He actually inherited Fernandinho, Fernando and Yaya Toure. He might of had James Milner too, I might be wrong. Either way the squad was ageing and done.

Canagel

Do realize that de bruyne and silva weren't midfielders before Pep arrived. They were traditional number 10's but pep arrived and played together in the centre of midfield with another box to box midfielder. Something unheard of in a league considered the most physical.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
But, but, but he wasn't backed! Mourinho is the only manager who can spend mega bucks and still cry pauper and have fans lap it up. We have overall been pretty average in his tenure. We play a very tepid brand of football where I think the players aren't fully free and that is why you can see us look so unsure until it's desperate times and we have to go gung ho. We need to move on from him as soon as possible and get the feel good factor back at the club.
Sacking is 1 thing but I'd prefer more constructive criticism -> Who should follow him?

And there starts the problem which Bayern currently has; there is no-one suitable on the market. As it seems (Real Madrid - story) that Conte is still bind by Chelsea, Wenger (no comment needed) and which other big names are there who you could achieve winning CL and/or PL in convnincing fashion. I don't see any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revaulx

I'm not sure why the need to compare United to only City on spending. Why not compare with other teams who have spent less, pay lower salaries and are still performing better?
“They aren’t performing better. We finished above them in the league.”

Canagel

You only named one CM. Ther rest Pep converted to CM. So your argument is shot. He actually inherited Fernandinho, Fernando and Yaya Toure. He might of had James Milner too, I might be wrong. Either way the squad was ageing and done.
Fernandinho was converted too. He was a a box to box player but got moved to DM.
His strength was late runs into the box and when he got played with Toure there was a problem because Toure didn't offer enough protection and left him exposed. So if he couldn't play with toure surely the logic is that he couldn't play behind even more attacking players right?

haram

Do realize that de bruyne and silva weren't midfielders before Pep arrived. They were traditional number 10's but pep arrived and played together in the centre of midfield with another box to box midfielder. Something unheard of in a league considered the most physical.
De Bruyne has the physical capabilities. Also, they are both high quality players period. You can compare that two Jose trying to use Lingard as a number 8, it doesn't make Pep some genius.

Greck

http://sportwitness.co.uk/true-world-cup-star-reveals-offer-manchester-united-table/

Perisic wasn't denied to him either, the board did back him. Just that Perisic himself didn't fancy playing for Mourinho :lol:
"Before, the smaller clubs were almost begging the big clubs, ‘Get my best players. I need to sell. Please, you are powerful. Buy my best player’. Now, they don’t want to sell.”

“You have no chance in the market unless you go to crazy numbers, or instead you go to what you call the second level players and still have crazy numbers, but that second level is the level people say, and I agree, that’s not what Manchester United is"

I mean I can see what he means but we've also never been a galactico club. With the inflated market the best managers these days now have to be good buyers of second level players whereas Jose couldn't seem to spot a bargain at poundland.

Even Pep, Poch and Klopp buy these second level players. It's just that other managers get theirs to explode while ours flop. Even our established signings like Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic and Pogba don't seem to be rated as smashing success

MDFC Manager

Well, doing so would confirm that Mourinho is a lying, goalpost shifting, heavily underperforming prick, so none of the acolytes will go into that comparison.

cheeky_backheel

Oh Sterling was quality now in 2015? This is why United supporters make me laugh. Well he inherited a better defence a team with the same league points, same amount of wins too. Seems ‘pretty’ equal to me. He then had the budget to buy Italy’s and Germany’s player of the year. Did Pep have that budget first season?
I have only asked that you list the our players Mourinho inherited that were of same quality. If you feel those City players were not of good quality, then it should be quite easy for you to list our equivalent.

But then you obviously cant and try to go off tangent to hide the fact.

Canagel

De Bruyne has the physical capabilities. Also, they are both high quality players period. You can compare that two Jose trying to use Lingard as a number 8, it doesn't make Pep some genius.
Jose could never dream of playing those two together in midfield. Infact he probably scratches his head trying to understand how pep got his midfield to work without any 'presence' or 'height'
If he was incharge of City two of Gundogan, Fernandinho, Delph would play every game to offer the defensive solidity and Silva, KDB would be left to fight with Sane, Sterling, Mahrez for wing positions. Or one would play in the hole and the other shifted wide or back on the bench.
I'd imagine if Pep was incharge of us Fred would sit as the deepest midfielder with any combination of Pogba, Mata, Periera infront. We'd also have got B Silva so there's that. Not forgetting he cost the same we payed for Matic

Last edited:

Fracture90

According to Transfermarkt:
Gurdiola total transfer spend at City is 599 million (35.5 million went on youth players for u23s and their sister clubs worldwide) whilst Mourinho is on 466 million. Please note that those fee's are in euros. So basically it's 563.5 vs. 466 million in favor of Guardiola.

They spent a whole 100 million more than us but the difference is that City were far better at recruiting, having just 2 flops in Nolito and Bravo whilst us on the other hand…

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
http://sportwitness.co.uk/true-world-cup-star-reveals-offer-manchester-united-table/

Perisic wasn't denied to him either, the board did back him. Just that Perisic himself didn't fancy playing for Mourinho :lol:
That's why I mentioned it as an option from the beginning, people tend to assume that players are always willing to join United. Didn't Maguire signed an extension a couple of weeks after the windows closed? These things take time so there is a fair chance that during the transfer window he wasn't desperate for a move at all.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Sacking is 1 thing but I'd prefer more constructive criticism -> Who should follow him?

And there starts the problem which Bayern currently has; there is no-one suitable on the market. As it seems (Real Madrid - story) that Conte is still bind by Chelsea, Wenger (no comment needed) and which other big names are there who you could achieve winning CL and/or PL in convnincing fashion. I don't see any.
This sums up my feelings too. Who to replace Jose with if we sack him? The wrong appointment will be potentially worse than keeping Jose, even though we seem to be going backwards under him right now.

Better the devil you know?

Bestietom

I really don't think that top players would want to come here anymore, unless it was the money they were after. imo

Fracture90

Then man is so toxic can't wait till he leaves - he must be dizzy if he thinks no top player would want to play for us, no top player wants to play for HIM. Perisic and Willian already told him no personally so now he's acting bitter.
Boateng thanked him and said "no thanks" as well.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Because it’s an easy comparison. City spend the most and are the best.
When we compare to other teams who have spent less, pay less wages, but are still playing better....suddenly the reality hits that we’re shite with our money and on the pitch

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even if things get worse after Jose, at least we won't have to deal with Jose anymore.
Yep. He's spoiling my enjoyment of Manchester United more than his team's performances are.

Zoo

Wish he would just shut up, put his head down and concentrate on getting results.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
That's acutally not true regarding De Bruyne (DB). DB played various position back in the day in Wolfsburg, 10, Winger, agressive 8.He was and still is quite ambivalent
This sums up my feelings too. Who to replace Jose with if we sack him? The wrong appointment will be potentially worse than keeping Jose, even though we seem to be going backwards under him right now.

Afterwards you are always smarter (it's a german expression) but I think Tuchel would be the perfect fit for that job. Bayern were in talks to him too but they decided against him cause Tuchel wanted to sack Ribery & Robben. Maybe Mourinho will finish this season and will be replaced for the 19/20 campaign with someone available then.

I am not really a Man Utd supporter, I'd consider myself as a lover of football. Therefore I usually choose to watch a match where I can expect the best football played. If I have to choose between watching a Man Utd game and to watch nothing it depending of the opponent if I will watch it or not (and then if it's not guranteed if I will finish the match or not).

But for sure I wouldn't go to Old Trafford to spent a shitload of money for being bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niall

CM

I have only asked that you list the our players Mourinho inherited that were of same quality. If you feel those City players were not of good quality, then it should be quite easy for you to list our equivalent.

But then you obviously cant and try to go off tangent to hide the fact.
Why are comparisons still being made to City? We aren't even in the same stratosphere anymore.

Liverpool, Spurs (who made no signings), Chelsea and Arsenal have all surpassed us this season and that's all down to our relic of a manager.

In Rainbows

Gomes in midfield :drool:

Mick321

Jeez, another pathetic interview whinging about the media, he should be grateful to them, he gets off lightly considering the mind blowing money he's spent and we play the worst football in the top half. Oh, and we're 7th. Sick of his paranoid victim act, sick of the shit football, sick of not winning, hate the bloke and he can't leave soon enough.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This Mourinho saga reminds me of liverpool with Rafa and ARsenal with Wenger. The only people who don't want him gone are our rivals because they know that we won't be as good as we can be as long as he is here...

SirAF

Ageist
Jeez, another pathetic interview whinging about the media, he should be grateful to them, he gets off lightly considering the mind blowing money he's spent and we play the worst football in the top half. Oh, and we're 7th. Sick of his paranoid victim act, sick of the shit football, sick of not winning, hate the bloke and he can't leave soon enough.
Don’t hold back, tell us how you are really feeling.

Stactix

I'd disagree, for me this season is almost identical to his last season at Chelsea. The main difference is the players for the most part are still playing for him, wheres at Chelsea many completely downed tools. I think the Eva situation is arguably one of the main differences there and with Mourinho drama is guranteed so I strongly believe until he goes things are going to get worse.

I would go as far as saying, Utd would struggle to find someone that wouldn't do better this season than Mourinho. He's not been ravaged by injuries and his team has improved over the summer and yet Utd are having their worst league season in 28 years, with the worst goal difference at the same stage in 40 years.
Hiddink, Carrick, Zidane, Jardim, hell even fecking Giggs would probably be an improvement for the remainder of the season.

The risk of remaining with Mourinho over risking an interim manager is 10 fold in my eyes. His toxicity will not only push fans away from the club but it'll push the players away.

Constant risk of him doing something stupid like the Eva situation or poking Mckenna in the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.