The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Can he stop painting us as some plucky underdogs? We're Manchester United ffs.
Yes but if you continue to believe you are the best manager in the world you have to keep coming up with novel reasons why your team is a bit shite that are somehow not your fault.

It'll probably be the players' diets next.

CA1

If Poch has a choice between Real or us, he'd be mad not to go to Real. We'll still go for him even if he fails miserably there, but would they be so keen on him if he makes a mess with us? Might be a once in a lifetime chance for him.
Woodward will be the last to know that he's going there as well.

Levy would sanction it to Real (Modric, Bale) for half of what we've got to pay.

Pochettino isn't happening. Zidane doesn't want it. Remember this post.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
All of these things apply to Real Madrid though. So his choice is between continuing his current adventure with a young a talented team or get a new challenge one more comfortable but not easier in the same league and the other in an exigent club but with one of the top 2 clubs.

I could see him pick any of these options and they could all be reasonable.
Ok, sure. Agreed. It would be a toss up between us and Madrid. I just think he would definitely be willing to leave Spurs for either of these clubs. At the end of the day, money is a powerful motivator for any man.

MouChou

Weird, I don't remember the last time I heard something like this.

I'm reading too much into it but I wonder if the club is waiting for Mournhio to quit for Madrid and this is his way saying it won't happen.
Mourinho wont quit before he gets his hard earned money. The United job is a hard one and he must get his compensation for having to endure all this psychocological trauma, not to mention the constant danger of getting infected by highly toxic viruses...
Respect!

R'hllor

JM must be biggest ffa cnut when it comes to managers, not surprised but really disappointed with him and his ways.

Fracture90

All of these things apply to Real Madrid though. So his choice is between continuing his current adventure with a young a talented team or get a new challenge one more comfortable but not easier in the same league and the other in an exigent club but with one of the top 2 clubs.

I could see him pick any of these options and they could all be reasonable.
I think our willingness to give him time and not insist on instant success would probably be enough to sway him over in our favour. Madrid are quite trigger happy if the results doesn't show right away.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think our willingness to give him time and not insist on instant success would probably be enough to sway him over in our favour. Madrid are quite trigger happy if the results doesn't show right away.
I get that but I feel that managers see Real Madrid as the ultimate challenge, they don't necessarily look for safety and one of the big things abour Madrid is that it doesn't have any influence on the rest of your career because it's considered like the impossible task.

SirAF

Ageist
I get that but I feel that managers see Real Madrid as the ultimate challenge, they don't necessarily look for safety and one of the big things abour Madrid is that it doesn't have any influence on the rest of your career because it's considered like the impossible task.
This. You don't turn down Real.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It is especially interesting since he says that the club are happy with his work - if that's true, the mind boggles, but if it isn't it puts the club in a tricky position. They can't realistically deny the statement without sacking him off, but their lack of comment could be taken as tacit support for Mourinho. Clever move all in all by Mendes.
Agreed, Jose and Mendes are too good at this while Woodward seems lost. Feels like there's a game being played in the background and the fans, along with some players are the real losers in all this.

Fracture90

Yep I get where you're coming from and as I said in order threads I can't really see him picking us over Madrid either. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate on this one.

JPRouve

Scout
Yep I get where you're coming from and as I said in order threads I can't really see him picking us over Madrid either. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate on this one.
We are both working for the devil then. I see why he would choose United but I also see why he would choose Real Madrid, whether we like it or not Real Madrid are the most special club in football.

SteveW

Because he’ll get paid more, be able to pay his squad more and have more money to sign new players.

Three compelling reasons right there, even if you ignore the fact it’s a much more prestigious job to have on his CV than managing Spurs (which it is)
Obviously this. The idea that he wouldn't want to come here is strange imo.

He took Southampton as far as they could go then moved on. He's taken Spurs as far as they can go considering the financial constraints. If he's ambitious and wants to stay in England United would be the logical next step.

Fracture90

We are both working for the devil then. I see why he would choose United but I also see why he would choose Real Madrid, whether we like it or not Real Madrid are the most special club in football.
Like it or not, I have to agree. Real Madrid gotta be the crown jewel of both playing and managerial career.

Greck

Relieved as I am to hear it, this Poch news just shows the club has no figure running it with any kind of foresight. We could have gone for him last year before his and Jose's extensions. Would have saved 40mil and we would have never needed to pay Jose another 20m severance.

Presently these poor decisions will cost us 60mil and a wasted season

PlayerOne

I'm still not too sure if he will end up leaving. He might feel comfortable at Spurs and getting into top 4 is enough for him for now. Life is also pretty great in London, especially if you make what Poch make a year. There's a lot of pressure at Spurs. United and Madrid bring a whole level of pressure, something he might not want now or ever.

tomaldinho1

I'm still not too sure if he will end up leaving. He might feel comfortable at Spurs and getting into top 4 is enough for him for now. Life is also pretty great in London, especially if you make what Poch make a year. There's a lot of pressure at Spurs. United and Madrid bring a whole level of pressure, something he might not want now or ever.
Yh I've started to think he might be thinking he's got it pretty sweet - don't get me wrong there is pressure at Spurs but they can play every season with nowhere near the level of pressure he'd face if he moved to an RM, United or PSG type club where expectations (particularly in United's case) are very different to the current reality.

It's all about timing and it would have been a career suicide move to go to RM post Zidane. It's a good time for him to move to United (if he wanted to) because it's off the back off a few poor seasons and he'd no doubt get a ridiculous budget from a now desperate Woodward & a huge amount of time from fans and the board should things start poorly. With RM, maybe he can just wait to see how things go - they've got a bit of a changing of the guard happening and some of their best players are getting towards the end of their careers.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Relieved as I am to hear it, this Poch news just shows the club has no figure running it with any kind of foresight. We could have gone for him last year before his and Jose's extensions. Would have saved 40mil and we would have never needed to pay Jose another 20m severance.

Presently these poor decisions will cost us 60mil and a wasted season
What news? Thought the latest is that there hasn't been any contact with him or have I missed something?

LoveFootball

Why would he leave Spurs for United?
Are you serious mate? United is still and will always be a bigger attraction than Spurs. Do you remember the mess Spurs were in before Poch comes and establish them as a Top 4 side?

Why would he leave Spurs for United? More money? more exposure? more prestige? more transfer fund?

And it will take someone who doesn't care much about his career to take United job, with slime to no chances of competing on big trophies for some years, a squad with so many holes and in a league with 5 other rivals. At least Madrid has 1 rival in Spain, and with a good attacking signing they can very well return to where they were the previous 2 seasons.
People seems to forget that before Mourinho went to Madrid, they were in the same state than us, buying expensive flops and not doing great in their league and CL. This United is still an easy job, a paradise for every manager because expectations are very low. United is still a safe bet than Madrid, I'd say you have more chance of destroying your career at Madrid than at United (see what happened with Lopetegui, this would not be possible at United). I think LVG and Mourinho have fooled people into thinking that we're in a terrible state that we're heading into the abysses but it's not true; if Mourinho wasn't such a bellend we wouldn't be in this mess.

United are a good manager away from being a force again. This team finished 2nd last season and everyone was saying that we underachieved before Mourinho started to manipulate people's mind telling us that we aren't good. With a new manager and addition of 2 or 3 players we can compete again with the big.

Greck

What news? Thought the latest is that there hasn't been any contact with him or have I missed something?
Should have said 'Poch rumour' but denial that contact has been made should be in the interest of all parties so I expect no different if it were true

el3mel

People seems to forget that before Mourinho went to Madrid, they were in the same state than us, buying expensive flops and not doing great in their league and CL. This United is still an easy job, a paradise for every manager because expectations are very low. United is still a safe bet than Madrid, I'd say you have more chance of destroying your career at Madrid than at United (see what happened with Lopetegui, this would not be possible at United). I think LVG and Mourinho have fooled people into thinking that we're in a terrible state that we're heading into the abysses but it's not true; if Mourinho wasn't such a bellend we wouldn't be in this mess.

United are a good manager away from being a force again. This team finished 2nd last season and everyone was saying that we underachieved before Mourinho started to manipulate people's mind telling us that we aren't good. With a new manager and addition of 2 or 3 players we can compete again with the big.
It's easier to compete with 1 team than to compete with 5, one of them is owned by a whole country, not to mention, Madrid is far more prestigious as a job than any English job will ever be, only top reds will disagree on that. Madrid is the pinnacle of football. That's not to get into how their squad is just better and only needs 1 or 2 attackers up front, and more settled too.

If everyone in this thread, you yourself included were offered to choose 1 of these 2 jobs you'll choose Madrid 9 times out of 10. Let's not delude ourselves.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
And it will take someone who doesn't care much about his career to take United job, with slime to no chances of competing on big trophies for some years, a squad with so many holes and in a league with 5 other rivals. At least Madrid has 1 rival in Spain, and with a good attacking signing they can very well return to where they were the previous 2 seasons.
The question was us vs Madrid. My answer would be totally different if we were competing for his signature with Bayern Munich or Juventus.

el3mel

The question was us vs Madrid. My answer would be totally different if we were competing for his signature with Bayern Munich or Juventus.
Yeah and I'm replaying based on that ? Madrid is still a better choice, competing with 1 team rather than 5, one owned by a whole country, and better squad missing only goal scorer up front. No brainer for any manager really.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
In Dreamland José is 'reluctantly' released to manage Real, with Real paying up his contract, United employ Jardim on a 2.5 year contract, PSG agree to a swap deal Mbappe for Lukaku. Matic to Real, where Varane is disappointed that José is back, decides to join United. De Gea signs a new 5 year contract. Chong, Gomes, Greenwood get chances to play for first team, Jardim gets Pogba to perform for 90 minutes.

PlayerOne

Just like I said earlier it feels like Woodwar is being played around with. Mendes and Mournhio are a lot more experience and better with their media handling.

Alex1982

In Dreamland José is 'reluctantly' released to manage Real, with Real paying up his contract, United employ Jardim on a 2.5 year contract, PSG agree to a swap deal Mbappe for Lukaku. Matic to Real, where Varane is disappointed that José is back, decides to join United. De Gea signs a new 5 year contract. Chong, Gomes, Greenwood get chances to play for first team, Jardim gets Pogba to perform for 90 minutes.
Hasn’t Jardim signed for some UAE club?

If not I’d be all over him tbh

JPRouve

Scout
The source is someone named 'Morge Jendes'.
:lol:

No but seriously at the exception of a couple of lame sources claiming that Mourinho was thinking about resigning(I think that I saw a title from the Daily Star). I don't think that there has been any solid rumours that would lead to an official comment from Mendes.

Status
Not open for further replies.