Film The Movies I want to see thread

Heardy

That's a crazy likeness. He really know's how to get under the skin of the character. That's a very impressive cast for the movie as well. Looks promising, hopefully better than J Edgar.
He's an incredible method actor, and lives his roles in entirety. You have to respect actors that immerse themselves in their characters.

I've read that in "My Left Foot" where he played a guy with cerebral palsy, he refused to break character, and remained in his wheelchair throughout, and had crew members carry him over obstacles etc, in part to understand the embarassment of total reliance on others.

Also read somewhere that he broke two ribs during filming because of the time he spent in the wheelchair (although I can't quite see how that will have happened).

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Peter Weller is in the next Star Trek film. So thats Robocop and che guevera in the next one then.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
He's an incredible method actor, and lives his roles in entirety. You have to respect actors that immerse themselves in their characters.

I've read that in "My Left Foot" where he played a guy with cerebral palsy, he refused to break character, and remained in his wheelchair throughout, and had crew members carry him over obstacles etc, in part to understand the embarassment of total reliance on others.

Also read somewhere that he broke two ribs during filming because of the time he spent in the wheelchair (although I can't quite see how that will have happened).
"Why don't you try acting dear boy."

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I don't think he has to be making a point, it's just a witticism.

Though tbh, I see Larry's point. I don't "have" to respect actors for immersing themselves. If anything it just highlights how seriously some actors take themselves. It's only bloody acting. I have far much more respect for those who are aware how frivolous their highly paid and hugely sycophantic profession is.

If you ever want to see an example of the most laughably pretentious quotes ever, just search "actors on acting"

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure of your point Gambit.

Are you merely referring to Dustin Hoffman's staying awake for 3 days as part of his method acting, or that you agree with Olivier's sentiment that acting rather than living the part is simply easier?
Why has Dustin Hoffman never been referred to as 'The Hoff'?

Spoony

The People's President
When's the Hobbit out? I can't see it being anything more than a bit crap - the book was boring as feck.

hungrywing

Wow. That looks absolutely terrible.
Nurse, ocular lavage and 5 mg diazepam for this patient, stat.

...I don't "have" to respect actors for immersing themselves. If anything it just highlights how seriously some actors take themselves. It's only bloody acting. I have far much more respect for those who are aware how frivolous their highly paid and hugely sycophantic profession is...
Of course, all of that goes out the window - temporarily, at least - the moment you see some pretty-face slacker half-assing his way through a script that you spent two years of your life on.

Speaking of which, how's that screenplay (teleplay?) going. That's the movie we all want to see.

Out of all the Star Wars movies they rip off Attack of the Clones? Weird.
It does make for an alarmingly unaware first impression, doesn't it. But it's directed by the gentleman who directed Finding Nemo and Wall-E and wrote pretty much all of Pixar's best stuff.

And I think Clones may have ripped off the John Carter stories, which are one-hundred years old. (Written by the same guy who came up with Tarzan, actually. Edgar Rice Burroughs. Not that this means anything.)

And then of course there's the thought that it couldn't possibly be worse than Clones, which then makes you think that the fact that the filmmakers don't seem to care could mean they're confident they made it well enough that the audience won't care either.

Spoony

The People's President
Not to an 11 year-old. How old were you when you read it?
I read it in school...and re read it a few years after leaving school. It did nowt for me. I preferred stuff like Notes from the Underground at the age of 11, to be honest.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've never read any LOTR books. Hated Marillion too...he was always banging on about breaking up with his bird, wasn't he? What fecker calls themselves Fish too!

Mockney

I didn't know any Star Wars geeks when I was a kid. They're all sad over 30s now. Most of my gen couldn't give a feck about your silly light show. :smirk:

cinc

I didn't know any Star Wars geeks when I was a kid. They're all sad over 30s now. Most of my gen couldn't give a feck about your silly light show. :smirk:
It must have been really bad if you're surpressing it this much. Or another theory: you're gay for George Lucas' marvellous quadruple chin and you're fighting against it.

Spoony

The People's President
I had one as a kid. It made sounds and if we switched off the lights, they looked really cool. Until my brother didnt start banging my head with his. And then mine.
Yeah but I want to be able to slice people in two. The great thing about lighsabers is they don't leave much if any blood around.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I had one as a kid. It made sounds and if we switched off the lights, they looked really cool. Until my brother didnt start banging my head with his. And then mine.
I had one in 1979 that was basically a torch and an inflatable plastic sock that you stuck on the end. It broke after five minutes of beating my sister with it.

12.99 from Woolworths FFS!

Mockney

And to think there'll be kids growing up now who'll never know what a Woolworths was. And they'll be even more ambivalent to Star Wars than me.