The Mueller Report

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Carter administration oversaw many attempt to assassinate Fidel Castro. CIA and the like were also very busy in the 70s.
Not that much, actually. The number of attempts during the Carter admin were vastly lower than other admins, before & after. The Church Committee & Carter’s choice for CIA head contributed to a ‘clean up’ / a higher level of accountability of / for the CIA, especially during the latter half of the decade.

It then was basically reversed upon Reagan’s victory in 1980.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Not that much, actually. The number of attempts during the Carter admin were vastly lower than other admins, before & after. The Church Committee & Carter’s choice for CIA head contributed to a ‘clean up’ / a higher level of accountability of / for the CIA, especially during the latter half of the decade.

It then was basically reversed upon Reagan’s victory in 1980.
It was definitely much less than other admins of the Cold War but I was merely pointing out how even a guy like Carter can be dirty. However, a US president can’t not be dirty if you really dig into it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was definitely much less than other admins of the Cold War but I was merely pointing out how even a guy like Carter can be dirty. However, a US president can’t not be dirty if you really dig into it.
I gotcha. No, you are definitely correct, there has never been or will be a president who could run a white glove over their presidency & have it come up unsullied.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Rosenstein did what he needed to do .The coward
fecker certainly didn’t cover himself in glory during the Barr era. I had a decently positive assessment of him until the revelations of his actions once Barr was appointed came to light.

The Firestarter

Things seem quite murky on the obstruction of justice side. Trump told several subordinates to do certain things which they refused. Firing the SC was one of those. Isn't directing someone to perform obstruction , actual obstruction itself ? Or that order even if carried , wouldn't be considered obstruction. I have not read the report yet.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
But there’s a big difference between having grimy hands, or worse having grimy clothes to be caked in thick mud from head to toe.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
But there’s a big difference between having grimy hands, or worse having grimy clothes to be caked in thick mud from head to toe.
I don’t disagree with that at all. Carter and Trump are probably at complete opposite ends of the spectrum of dirt.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Barr is testifying tomorrow as well.
Yep. Gotta love the timing.

Tomorrow won’t be that good as I fully expect Graham et al on the right to water down & hamstring the questioning to a certain extent.

Thursday, however, could produce proverbial fireworks.

ChaddyP

This part confuses me.

“After the Attorney General received Special Counsel Mueller’s letter, he called him to discuss it,” a Justice Department spokeswoman said Tuesday. “In a cordial and professional conversation, the Special Counsel emphasized that nothing in the Attorney General’s March 24 letter was inaccurate or misleading. But, he expressed frustration over the lack of context and the resulting media coverage regarding the Special Counsel’s obstruction analysis. They then discussed whether additional context from the report would be helpful and could be quickly released."

According to this spokeswoman, Mueller thinks that the march 24 letter was not confusing , but he (Mueller) sent a letter telling Barr stating that the Memo “did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance” and also “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation. This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations.”

How can it be both it wasnt missleading and well it was missleading:wenger:

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
This part confuses me.

“After the Attorney General received Special Counsel Mueller’s letter, he called him to discuss it,” a Justice Department spokeswoman said Tuesday. “In a cordial and professional conversation, the Special Counsel emphasized that nothing in the Attorney General’s March 24 letter was inaccurate or misleading. But, he expressed frustration over the lack of context and the resulting media coverage regarding the Special Counsel’s obstruction analysis. They then discussed whether additional context from the report would be helpful and could be quickly released."

According to this spokeswoman, Mueller thinks that the march 24 letter was not confusing , but he (Mueller) sent a letter telling Barr stating that the Memo “did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance” and also “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation. This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations.”

Because simplifying to essentially "The SCO found no conspiracy with the Russian government and we are not charging Trump with obstruction of justice" is how Barr chose to represent the report and findings of the investigation. There is a LOT that he chose to leave unsaid.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
So what is happening with Barr? Is he testifying today? Or Thursday? Or neither? Or both?

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
The quotes you highlighted were from two different sources:

...a Justice Department spokeswoman said Tuesday. “In a cordial and professional conversation, the Special Counsel emphasized that nothing in the Attorney General’s March 24 letter was inaccurate or misleading."

...he (Mueller) sent a letter telling Barr stating that the Memo “did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance” and also “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation."

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looks like some posters like brwnd jumped the gun.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not sure what trouble Barr is in exactly ? He will get grilled by some reps during his hearing and that'd be it.
By attempting to bury the report, this clown might have created more problems for himself and his boss because its going to dominate the news cycle for even longer than it would if he had put it out there and let a Democratic congress decide on what to do. He might have bailed the democrats and Pelosi out of having to make a decision while the clock is winding down. Now they have all the time to extend investigations, subpoena everyone and their mom again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not sure what trouble Barr is in exactly ? He will get grilled by some reps during his hearing and that'd be it.
It could easily be interpreted that his actions have contributed to the obstruction of justice efforts.

The Firestarter

By attempting to bury the report, this clown might have created more problems for himself and his boss because its going to dominate the news cycle for even longer than it would if he had put it out there and let a Democratic congress decide on what to do. He might have bailed the democrats and Pelosi out of having to make a decision while the clock is winding down. Now they have all the time to extend investigations, subpoena everyone and their mom again.
Only thing that matters is if it leads to impeachment. Barr's summary lacking context or not, the report did not provide an undeniable evidence of conspiracy. On the obstruction side as I said above I am not really sure what is considered unlawful and impeachable.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Only thing that matters is if it leads to impeachment. Barr's summary lacking context or not, the report did not provide an undeniable evidence of conspiracy. On the obstruction side as I said above I am not really sure what is considered unlawful and impeachable.
Impeachment is not the be all and end all of things even if it eventually leads up to it.

Trump is an architect of his own chaos but this is even more destabilising for anyone who works in either the justice department or the white house that the investigations are never ending and even the ones that ended keep getting revived due to bullshit like this.

Barr might resign owing to the pressure he set up for himself, every man has a breaking point and if a president is on his third attorney general nominee in 2 years, the confirmation process is going to get even harder each subsequent time.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Reminder: Barr will speak today in front of the GOP controlled Senate, but may not bother tomorrow for the dem led house.

Tells you all you need to know.

Difference between Barr and most of Trump's appointees is that hes not only morally bankrupt, but also really smart. Anyone expecting him to say anything damaging whatsoever is wasting their time.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It didn’t provide any direct evidence of conspiracy between Putin and Trump.

It did however outline a very short chain of:

Putin - GRU - Stone - Trump

Along with other permutations of the chain involving other close Trump associates and campaign officials.

You also have a motive in Trump Tower Moscow project and the threat of kompromat

That’s as close as you are going to get to conspiracy in this instance. Trump isn’t going to carry out these tasks himself, he instructs it encourages others to do so.

The Firestarter

It didn’t provide any direct evidence of conspiracy between Putin and Trump.

It did however outline a very short chain of:

Putin - GRU - Stone - Trump

Along with other permutations of the chain involving other close Trump associates and campaign officials.

You also have a motive in Trump Tower Moscow project and the threat of kompromat

That’s as close as you are going to get to conspiracy in this instance. Trump isn’t going to carry out these tasks himself, he instructs it encourages others to do so.
No witness directly implicated Trump either. US law educated posters around here can share if this evidence is sufficient for indictment.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
No witness directly implicated Trump either. US law educated posters around here can share if this evidence is sufficient for indictment.
Cohen has testified that Stone came into the office with news of the Hillary hack and when they wanted it to drop and Trump discusses it with him. I think Stone has confirmed this.

The Firestarter

Cohen has testified that Stone came into the office with news of the Hillary hack and when they wanted it to drop and Trump discusses it with him. I think Stone has confirmed this.
Is this in the report , I have yet to find time to read it.

ChaddyP

The quotes you highlighted were from two different sources:
I am aware. I find it odd that the justice department can say that Mueller thinks the bar memo was fine when Mueller literally sent them a harsh letter saying it was shit

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
I am aware. I find it odd that the justice department can say that Mueller thinks the bar memo was fine when Mueller literally sent them a harsh letter saying it was shit
Apologies - got the wrong end of your question. DOJ response reads like the cover-up of the cover-up. Can't dispute the text of Mueller's letter but can spin the phone call that followed it.