The OFF TOPIC Berbatov thread (used to be 'Berbatov Wants Move')

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3052045,00.html

Lyon striker Fred is due to meet with Tottenham in the next 48 hours and is now expected to seal a move to North London.

The Brazilian is being allowed to leave by the French champions and they have accepted bids from Paris Saint Germain and Spurs, whilst Middlesbrough, Manchester City and Portsmouth also had an interest.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas wanted Fred to move to Paris, but he left the decision with the player and his representatives, and they now appear close to striking a deal with Spurs - after previously rebuffing an offer from Tottenham.

Fred's brother and agent Rodrigo confirmed that they would be meeting Spurs' director of football Damien Comolli in the next day or so.

Meeting

"Yes we are due to meet with Damien Comolli, he will come with a new offer," Rodrigo told L'Equipe.

"If it [the offer] is good, Fred will sign for Tottenham."

Should Fred, as expected, agree terms with Tottenham - then they will sign him a deal worth 12million euros (£9million).

Fred's arrival will further bolster Spurs' attacking options, despite the fact they can already boast a world-class quartet in the shape of Robbie Keane, Dimitar Berbatov, Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe.

Fred's arrival could signal the departure of one of those four - with only Keane having not been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane this month.

pert

It will be Berbatov who is off

And I will be jerking off

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'm delighted that Berbatov has proved me right in his performances against Arsenal and Chelsea recently. Flop.

Godfather

So it's over. BTW: ALthough i dont really give a feck about him joining us or not, where is cockney? :keano:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Not over yet they still can get Kanoute as Cockney said its one or the other
I've said several times that Berbatov is going nowhere this window, but the sheer desire of some posters for him to sign for Fergie has blinded them to reality (including the reality that Spurs are still alive in 3 cup competitions and so are hardly likely to sell their main attacking asset mid-season).

They refused to believe it when the club (Spurs) said he wasn't for sale. They refused to believe Fergie and Gill saying that United would not be making any big moves this window, and they refused to believe Berbatov when he rubbished all the speculation and said he was fed up with it.

Instead, some posters have clung onto Cockney_Ham's outlandish story and fed off a few wayward comments from Berbatov's rather eccentric agent, despite the obvious fact that he (the agent) has an obvious financial vested interest in trying to stir up a big money move.

BTW, there's no indication that Spurs are interested in Kanoute, but even if they were it would be as a replacement for Defoe if he is sold.

You'll perhaps get your chance for Berbatov in the summer.

Alex

I've said several times that Berbatov is going nowhere this window, but the sheer desire of some posters for him to sign for Fergie has blinded them to reality (including the reality that Spurs are still alive in 3 cup competitions and so are hardly likely to sell their main attacking asset mid-season).

They refused to believe it when the club (Spurs) said he wasn't for sale. They refused to believe Fergie and Gill saying that United would not be making any big moves this window, and they refused to believe Berbatov when he rubbished all the speculation and said he was fed up with it.

Instead, some posters have clung onto Cockney_Ham's outlandish story and fed off a few wayward comments from Berbatov's rather eccentric agent, despite the obvious fact that he (the agent) has an obvious financial vested interest in trying to stir up a big money move.

BTW, there's no indication that Spurs are interested in Kanoute, but even if they were it would be as a replacement for Defoe if he is sold.

You'll perhaps get your chance for Berbatov in the summer.
Unless you are Daniel Levy how can you say that with any certainty, this summer I argued with in the Spurs are Gonna be a Big Flop, and predicted Jol would be out by New Years to which you said there was no chance because of all he did for the club......

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Unless you are Daniel Levy how can you say that with any certainty ...
Because of the all reasons I've given in this and other threads, including directly quoted comments from Levy.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Explain the Jol situation then...
Does it need an explanation? Everyone is pretty clear about what happened:

Rightly or wrongly, the club didn't go for Ramos last summer, but then fecked it up by pursuing him - right out of the blue - just after the season had started (right after our very first game in fact). The news leaked out, the saga dragged on and on, and Jol's position became untenable. His authority was undermined, the club was riven by uncertainty and team morale (and performance) dropped through the floor. Result: The first quarter of our season was a disaster and all hopes of challenge for top 4 destroyed.

Jol didn't deserve to be treated so badly and the club shot itself in the foot.

But it's done with now. Managerial stability has been restored and since then our season has picked up considerably. The early signs under Ramos are good.

Alex

Does it need an explanation? Everyone is pretty clear about what happened:

Rightly or wrongly, the club didn't go for Ramos last summer, but then fecked it up by pursuing him - right out of the blue - just after the season had started (right after our very first game in fact). The news leaked out, the saga dragged on and on, and Jol's position became untenable. His authority was undermined, the club was riven by uncertainty and team morale (and performance) dropped through the floor. Result: The first quarter of our season was a disaster and all hopes of challenge for top 4 destroyed.

Jol didn't deserve to be treated so badly and the club shot itself in the foot.

But it's done with now. Managerial stability has been restored and since then our season has picked up considerably. The early signs under Ramos are good.
Making you completely wrong, based on what you said this summer

Sam

Can people now accept the fact that Berbatov will NOT be signing for us in January ?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Making you completely wrong, based on what you said this summer
No-one predicted that Jol would be undermined and on the slide by the Ramos saga after just one league game . Did you?

Once the Ramos saga began, the destruction of our season's start became a self-fulfilling prophecy - one that, incidentally, had little or nothing to do with the quality of the squad since it was essentially the same squad that finished 5th the season before, except we added Bale, Bent and others during the summer - which could hardly be said to have weakened us.

Alex

No-one predicted that Jol would be undermined and on the slide by the Ramos saga after just one league game . Did you?

Once the Ramos saga began, the destruction of our season's start became a self-fulfilling prophecy - one that, incidentally, had little or nothing to do with the quality of the squad since it was essentially the same squad that finished 5th the season before, except we added Bale, Bent and others during the summer - which could hardly be said to have weakened us.
Well I did predict he would get the sack, and I didn't say anything, but I was not surprised it happened in that manner after their poor start which I agree with hycool would happen, and the fact that they clearly had wanted Ramos for quite some time.

Alex

It was in the making ever since Spurs got taken apart by Sevilla late in the UEFA Cup last year imo

Godfather

I'm not too impressed by him anyway. I mean I dont have anything against him and probably he would have been a good addition to our squad, but I dont think we need him desperately.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i rate him as a very good player and would have loved to got him when spurs did, but i think the quoted price of around £30 million is way too much for a player that will have no re-sale value in year or two so, i would prefer someone like Benzema .

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
When asked about his future, he said: "I am happy here, everyone is happy. This will be my first game at Wembley and everybody is excited. The boys have told me it is a legendary stadium and I am looking forward to seeing it.

"I will relish the moment. It is one thing to watch a game at Wembley, another to actually play.

"Our performance against Arsenal was magnificent. The way we played and supported each other is exactly what I want to see. If we play like that we have a great future.

"I know we can achieve a lot. Sometimes we underestimate our ability, but this game was an example of what we can do when we believe in our quality and play like we did."

Berbatov feels Ramos has made a massive difference to the club since he took over from Martin Jol in October and even feels a win at Manchester United in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday is a realistic target.

He added: "We have great players and a coach who can achieve a lot with us. I am not surprised how quickly he (Ramos) has turned it around. He is a great coach and proved himself in Spain.

"Now he is here, but the way he talks and works with us, we know we can go places. It will be difficult for us at Manchester United but we hope to do the same as we did against Arsenal.

"We go there with our heads up and if we play like that they will have a difficult game."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=509892&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Doesn't sound to me like he's in a hurry to leave this January, nor even maybe in the summer.

BTW, where's Cockney_Ham with his explanation as to how the wheels came off his outlandish prediction?

Kaiketsu_Zorro

So cockneyHammer, are you still so sure Berbatov is gonna sign for United in January?

When I told I trusted SkySports on their news reports you said I was a fool, now I bet you feel like a fool, let's face it: Fred's not going to Spurs and Berbatov is staying put.

You and your source were wrong.

"Deal has been agreed"... my arse!

BlahRules

When asked about his future, he said: "I am happy here, everyone is happy. This will be my first game at Wembley and everybody is excited. The boys have told me it is a legendary stadium and I am looking forward to seeing it.

"I will relish the moment. It is one thing to watch a game at Wembley, another to actually play.

"Our performance against Arsenal was magnificent. The way we played and supported each other is exactly what I want to see. If we play like that we have a great future.

"I know we can achieve a lot. Sometimes we underestimate our ability, but this game was an example of what we can do when we believe in our quality and play like we did."

Berbatov feels Ramos has made a massive difference to the club since he took over from Martin Jol in October and even feels a win at Manchester United in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday is a realistic target.

He added: "We have great players and a coach who can achieve a lot with us. I am not surprised how quickly he (Ramos) has turned it around. He is a great coach and proved himself in Spain.

"Now he is here, but the way he talks and works with us, we know we can go places. It will be difficult for us at Manchester United but we hope to do the same as we did against Arsenal.

"We go there with our heads up and if we play like that they will have a difficult game."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=509892&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Doesn't sound to me like he's in a hurry to leave this January, nor even maybe in the summer.

BTW, where's Cockney_Ham with his explanation as to how the wheels came off his outlandish prediction?
Thrashing Arsenal wont make him stay:p

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Thrashing Arsenal wont make him stay:p
It's abundantly clear he's not leaving this January.

As for the summer, who knows. But look at the number of times he uses the phrase 'we' and 'us' in his comments today, and how much he talks about the future under Ramos. Not saying that he will stay, but it's entirely possible that he might, especially if we win at Wembley.

Drifter

American
Berbatov excited over Tottenham future

06:49 January, 24, 2008

The long-term future of the Bulgarian international has been of some speculation in the past few months, with both Chelsea and Manchester United linked with £30million bids for the striker.

However, following a Carling Cup demolition of Arsenal which sends Spurs to Wembley, Berbatov has spoken of the excitement at White Hart Lane whilst also hailing coach Juande Ramos.

"I am happy, everyone is happy," he said. "This will be my first game at Wembley. Everybody is excited. The boys have told me it is a legendary stadium and I am looking forward to seeing it. I will relish the moment.

"I know we can achieve a lot. Sometimes we underestimate our ability and what we can do, but the Arsenal game is an example of what we can do when we believe in our quality and play like we did.

"The victory is important and we showed that if we play like that we have a great future. I am not surprised how quickly he (Ramos) has turned it around. He is a great man. Obviously he is a great coach and proved himself in Spain.

"Now he is here, but the way he talks with us and works with us we know we can go places."

Doesn't sound like someone who'll be moving in the near future or the summer either.

gulli_G

Baros or Fred set for exit
Lyon president will allow one striker to leave in January

By Patrick Haond Last updated: 24th January 2008
Baros or Fred set for exit

Baros: Could leave
Related links
Teams

* Middlesbrough
* Olympique Lyonnais

Players

* Milan Baros
* Chaves Fred

Also see

* Transfer Centre
* Paper Talk
* Tell us your rumours

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has revealed that either Milan Baros or Fred will leave the club in the January transfer window.

Portsmouth are keen on bringing Baros back to the Premier League, while a number of clubs are reportedly chasing Fred.

Former Liverpool and Aston Villa striker Baros is believed to be considering his options after Pompey declared their interest in him.

Offers

Fred, meanwhile, claims he would be happy to stay at Lyon but Aulas is prepared to let the 24-year-old leave the Stade Gerland.

"It is established between Fred and Baros that one of them will leave the club before the end of the January transfer window," Aulas said

"But I cannot say which one as we are still receiving offers for both of them."

O'Sheady

Sir Alex Ferguson is still determined to land Dimitar Berbatov and will monitor the £30m-rated striker when Spurs visit Old Trafford for their FA Cup fourth round tie on Sunday. (1050 - Manchester Evening News)

Meanwhile, Spurs boss Juande Ramos has admitted that there is still a slim chance the 26-year-old could leave while the transfer window remains open, but "it would have to be an offer from a very big club with a very big contract to make him leave us." (1050 - Setanta Sports News)
Might happen yet!