The opportunism of MUST during Rooneygate.

B Cantona

Desperate
Embarrasing thread

I don't see why there's any opportunism, I'd say your best player wanting to leave citing lack of funds spent - something many of us have done on here almost daily for years now - is a reasonable enough time to say hang on, is this the direction we want to go in, do we want this to continue, how can we solve the problem? The answer is the removal of the Glazers

Of course MUST have an agenda. It's the supporters that don't share that agenda that have me stumped. If only some of you were as vocal in your contempt of the current owners as you are this voluntary organisation which has made the most realistic advances in trying to make that goal a reality

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
MUST implicitly siding with Rooney in all this just makes it clear how little they care about the club. Rooney is brazenly and deliberately fecking over United, probably to join our rivals. The Glazer hate, founded on understandable concerns as it may be, has turned them in to complete loons who have lost all sight of the point of the football club.

Bearded but no genius

Meanwhile, the Red Knights are "happy to watch" these developments.

Either they have lost touch of what being a supporter is, or they aren't supporters in any more of a sense of the word than Paul Stretford is.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Embarrasing thread

I don't see why there's any opportunism, I'd say your best player wanting to leave citing lack of funds spent - something many of us have done on here almost daily for years now - is a reasonable enough time to say hang on, is this the direction we want to go in, do we want this to continue, how can we solve the problem? The answer is the removal of the Glazers

Of course MUST have an agenda. It's the supporters that don't share that agenda that have me stumped. If only some of you were as vocal in your contempt of the current owners as you are this voluntary organisation which has made the most realistic advances in trying to make that goal a reality
Everyone wants the Glazers out Brad (well, most of us)...But backing up Rooney over SAF and the club in this matter is going too far. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face cos you don't like your ears. It'll lose them support, thus it's fecking stupid. It isn't in tune with the regular fans views, in fact it's almost alien to them ..And as a "supporters trust", whose aim initially in the G&G movement was to unite everyone behind it, things like releasing a statement yesterday BEFORE Rooney came out with his drivel is doing the opposite of that.

TheMancRedDevil

Embarrasing thread

I think part of the problem is the fact that MUST haven't come up with a viable plan to tackle a dollar trillionaire who owns a club up the road that doesn't involve us going into further debt.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Embarrasing thread

The issue started yesterday when it arose he wanted to leave. No word of "lack of funds" nobody knew the reasons, yet instead of condemning Rooney on behalf of the people they speak for who will all feel very hurt by his actions, MUST came out with this bizzare message:

"We back Sir Alex's judgement as ever but our concern lies with the owners. They have saddled us with a huge debt and they are taking more and more money out of the club every season and the lack of net investment in the squad since they arrived is clear to all.

"We know where the money is going and it has to stop. The question being asked by many fans is does the ambition of the owners match that of Rooney or indeed Manchester United supporters?
Which in turn gave Rooney, his Agent and his P.R crew something to work with to turn him into a Martyr for the fans and put the heat back on Sir Alex and the Club.

MUST should have spoken for us fans and said something along the lines of "MUST would like to take this opertunity to say on behalf of the fans that we are all shocked, hurt and appalled by Wayne Rooney's complete lack of respect and show of pure contempt for the fans that have supported him 100% through his career at the club."

At least then, they would actually be speaking for the fans, the ones who pay for the fecking "trust" in the first place.

Bearded but no genius

I think part of the problem is the fact that MUST haven't come up with a viable plan to tackle a dollar trillionaire who owns a club up the road that doesn't involve us going into further debt.
I thought they did, except it was a secret.

No one was allowed to know except the amazing mental giants at MUST.

kietotheworld

MUST implicitly siding with Rooney in all this just makes it clear how little they care about the club. Rooney is brazenly and deliberately fecking over United, probably to join our rivals. The Glazer hate, founded on understandable concerns as it may be, has turned them in to complete loons who have lost all sight of the point of the football club.
Why is it so absurd to you that Rooney might be telling the truth?

Bearded but no genius

People forget that Rooney was allegedly throwing SAF under the bus on Sunday night for not being "supportive" enough, when his people did those rounds of phone calls.

Now that didn't work he's changed his tune to focus on the Glazers instead.

kietotheworld

The issue started yesterday when it arose he wanted to leave. No word of "lack of funds" nobody knew the reasons, yet instead of condemning Rooney on behalf of the people they speak for who will all feel very hurt by his actions, MUST came out with this bizzare message:
Actually there were a couple of article citing a lack of ambition.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Embarrasing thread
What's embarrassing here is MUST getting behind the Rooney camp PR spin of him wanting to leave, and being justified in announcing so in October, because of some kind of nebulous 'lack of ambition', implicitly because of the Glazer ownership.

Like I said upthread, if you believe this, why now?
I have many other questions I want to ask the Rooney apologists, but a decent answer to this one would be more than enough.

I've been a MUST member for many years, and of course I don't demand their policy being some kind of utopian ideal, specifically catering to my vision of fan ownership. Even though I've disagreed on specifics, I've never imagined I'd ever walk away.

With the Rooney idiocy they crossed a line, and I can't honestly remain a member anymore. Feel free to be embarrassed on my behalf - personally I'm just incredibly sad.

TheMancRedDevil

Well a load of you cnuts actually voted for Cameron, so you've got a point. Practically, fan ownership would keep ticket prices lower and not haemorrhage money in interest payments.
Well, perhaps, if we'd tried to buy the club when it was a realistic proposition but I think we've gone well beyond that now.

What we have is what we have and until someone comes along with a proper offer for the Glazers it is what we are going to have for the foreseeable future.

The good news is that we're so fecking awesome that we can carry the ball and chain that is the Glazers around with us and still compete with the best in the world.

The reason for this is because they have actually increased how much money the club has brought in.

If MUST were worth the time of day, they would pay some attention to this little fact and praise them for that instead of being so fecking petty and warped about every little thing that goes on at the club in an attempt to keep Drasdo on the telly.

Perhaps if MUST were not so militant when they don't have a pot to piss in, we would have a better relationship with the owners right now and perhaps some concerns could be addressed?

I am not surprised that no one official at the club wants to even acknowledge their existence when they behave like a body that is actually trying to do everything in their power to damage Manchester United rather than help it.

Crerand Legend

People forget that Rooney was allegedly throwing SAF under the bus on Sunday night for not being "supportive" enough, when his people did those rounds of phone calls.

Now that didn't work he's changed his tune to focus on the Glazers instead.
What do you expect from a two faced lying toe rag

Mockney

Why is it so incredibly hard for you to see he isn't?...and that even if he was, it still wouldn't hold up as an excuse.

Which in turn gave Rooney, his Agent and his P.R crew something to work with to turn him into a Martyr for the fans and put the heat back on Sir Alex and the Club.

MUST should have spoken for us fans and said something along the lines of "MUST would like to take this opertunity to say on behalf of the fans that we are all shocked, hurt and appalled by Wayne Rooney's complete lack of respect and show of pure content for the fans that have supported him 100% through his career at the club."

At least then, they would actually be speaking for the fans, the ones who pay for the fecking "trust" in the first place.
Bang on...That was a huge huge mistake for me. No need for it, and completely counter productive. I support MUSTs aims, but this has actually turned fans away from them...which is the opposite of what they should be doing.

MikeUpNorth

I couldn't give a shit if he's telling the truth or not (not that he is, it's obviously over money and he's changed his story several times).

There is no excuse to brief the press on a supposed falling out with the manager, saying the manager lied about your injury, saying you are being frozen out. You do not conduct your business in public, and especially not hours before a champions league game. It shows a total lack of respect for the club - that's right MUST, for the club - and should be unequivocally condemned.

The club doesn't cease to exist because you don't like the owners, it's still there and it can still be shat on by greedy mercenary players.

kietotheworld

He already lied about the timeline.

He claims it happened last week. The club say it was in August, with two weeks still to go in the transfer window.
He lied, did he? If that's the case, and he said he told Gill he wouldn't be signing a new contract in August, why did Gill dismiss the idea of selling Rooney 12 days ago?
Why is it so incredibly hard for you to see he isn't?...and that even if he was, it still wouldn't hold up as an excuse.
An excuse for what exactly? Not signing a new contract? Well he's got no obligation to do that. I think he's got every right to know what direction the club's going in before committing himself to it - why should he sign a new contract if he doesn't know if he wants to stay? So the club will get more money at his expense? I don't expect that of any player. I don't see what he's done that's justified the level of abuse he's got.

F-Red

A lack of ambition would surely suggest that a club finishing second by one point aren't struggling to find ambition.

Rooney declaring in April this year that he expects to stay at the club for life (the beginning of the contract talks to get the best deal he can from the club).

Yaya Toure being offered over £200k a week and Rooney realising he's a better player and could command that wage at City then suddenly declares some massive problem that wasn't apparent in April but now in the space of 4 whole months has turned into such an issue that he cannot remain at the club.

Rooney and the truth do not go hand in hand, ask his wife. If he's shitting on his doorstep at home, then lets not play fools and believe the spin of a club and manager lacking ambition.

Bearded but no genius

Bang on...That was a huge huge mistake for me. No need for it, and completely counter productive. I support MUSTs aims, but this has actually turned fans away from them...which is the opposite of what they should be doing.
What are MUST's aims now, though?

They do things (like trying to get people to divest from their actual investment and turn it into membership dues) that make me seriously doubt they even know what their aims are anymore.

They're directly in bed with a specific group of potential owners who are questionable at best, as well.

It is a lot different from when SU was first established, or even when MUST and the PF were formed out of SU.

Bearded but no genius

He lied, did he? If that's the case, and he said he told Gill he wouldn't be signing a new contract in August, why did Gill dismiss the idea of selling Rooney 12 days ago?
Don't you think that until Rooney decided to throw SAF and co under the bus on Sunday night they had every intention of continuing to try to present him a deal and talk him around?

No, must be that the precious little boy has done nothing wrong. Evil Mr. Ferguson.

Crerand Legend

Is that a promise! :lol:

Result!
Sadly it is, a disgrace you can't debate a matter without receiving the abuse I got on Sunday, leave u all to convince yourselves that the Glazers are excellent owners and the right people to be running this club, god help us and save us. Understand that I would rather keep my distance from your goodself in future

Mockney

Well he's got no obligation to do that.
If he goes to City, would you contend that he had no obligation not to?

I think he's got every right to know what direction the club's going in before committing himself to it
Well, not really. Is he bigger than the club? Why would Gill tell him the club are going to be shit for the next few seasons? And if Rooney really thinks United need to start spending loads of money a la City and Chelsea in order to be "ambitious" as opposed to keeping doing what they have for years in building up promising youth, then he's a bit of a FM spastic.

As is any fan who thinks United aren't ambitious cos they haven't splashed obscene amounts of cash.

Why should he sign a new contract if he doesn't know if he wants to stay?
Not knowing if he wants to stay, and contradicting Ferguson publically, spreading rumours that he's been frozen out, then contradicting it when it's been denied, then deciding to announce he wants to leave in October, after claiming he wanted to stay for life just 6 months ago are very different things...

Even if he is telling the truth, he's basically jumped at the first opportunity...Rather than attempt to see wha gwan for a bit, which would make far more sense at a club that has rewarded him so richly over the last 6 years. He finished one point off the top last year, won a cup, said he wanted to stay for life, then after one meeting with Gill went "nope, I'm off!"...Really? Come off it.

I don't see what he's done that's justified the level of abuse he's got.
Are you 9?...I can't see how you can't?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

feck me. Is this a genuine question?

You actually think he should have said that it is realistic we are looking to sell him now? Can you imagine what that would have done? The position Rooney would be in now? The fans against Gill and the Owners even more.

You actually believe he would start chaos like that?

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Embarrasing thread

It's complete horseshit and everyone knows it. Everyone except MUST, that is, who are blinded by their pursuit for the removal of the Glazers (as honourable as that may be).

Rooney's using it as an excuse in an attempt to gain some sympathy, or at least to avoid all blame, when in reality the reason is down to his own personal greed.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Embarrasing thread

If nothing else they're asking me to believe Rooney's statement today was anything other than a load of bullshit, which is a huge insult to mine and anyone else with an IQ above about 2's intelligence.

The fecking statement manages to contradict itself at least two or three times.

Can't say this has affected my views on must. The heart was in the right place at some point. It's just amazing that a collection of supposedly intelligent individuals can be so stupid.

kietotheworld

A lack of ambition would surely suggest that a club finishing second by one point aren't struggling to find ambition.

Rooney declaring in April this year that he expects to stay at the club for life (the beginning of the contract talks to get the best deal he can from the club).

Yaya Toure being offered over £200k a week and Rooney realising he's a better player and could command that wage at City then suddenly declares some massive problem that wasn't apparent in April but now in the space of 4 whole months has turned into such an issue that he cannot remain at the club.

Rooney and the truth do not go hand in hand, ask his wife. If he's shitting on his doorstep at home, then lets not play fools and believe the spin of a club and manager lacking ambition.
Maybe he is interested in winning Europe, at the moment we look a million miles away from Barcelona. He said after he talked about staying at the club for life, that he would like two big players to be signed so we could win the League back. I don't think Hernandez and Bebe really fit the bill. When he said in April that he would like to stay for life, was that before or after our season totally disintegrated in his absence? Perhaps that made him change his views.

Don't you think that until Rooney decided to throw SAF and co under the bus on Sunday night they had every intention of continuing to try to present him a deal and talk him around?

No, must be that the precious little boy has done nothing wrong. Evil Mr. Ferguson.
I think they still do have every intention of offering him a deal, as Ferguson has said the door is always open.

TheMancRedDevil

I don't claim to have my finger on the pule of every Manchester United supporter but it did strike me as a bit amazing that Drasdo could be on the telly within an hour or so of Rooney's statement being released and him apparently knowing how all the fans felt about it.

He must have been stood outside OT for half the day waiting to get himself in front of the camera as soon as Rooney's statement became known so god knows how he conducted his research.

Could it, perhaps, be... "How can we best spin this for our benefit?" That would require far less thought and measuring of supporter opinion.

Untied

Mockney is speaking so much sense tonight. What has he taken?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Could we please get some sort of Poll open so people can vote with some level of anonymity about how they feel about MUST?

MikeUpNorth

Maybe he is interested in winning Europe, at the moment we look a million miles away from Barcelona. He said after he talked about staying at the club for life, that he would like two big players to be signed so we could win the League back. I don't think Hernandez and Bebe really fit the bill. When he said in April that he would like to stay for life, was that before or after our season totally disintegrated in his absence? Perhaps that made him change his views.
If I was Chief Exec or Manager and a player came to me and said 'I don't think my team mates are good enough, tell me who you're going to sign', I'd tell him to feck off and worry about his own job, which, I think Rooney needs reminding, is to play half decent football. He's not bigger than the club.

F-Red

Embarrasing thread

I don't see why there's any opportunism, I'd say your best player wanting to leave citing lack of funds spent - something many of us have done on here almost daily for years now - is a reasonable enough time to say hang on
Embarrassing reply Brad.

If Rooney's response was anything based upon the club or the situation with the owners, then MUST would jump on that bandwagon.

I'm amazed you don't see the PR spin from Stretford and Co as an easy way to win public support, as they clearly couldn't achieve that by tackling Ferguson's press conference head on.

Everything Rooney came out today has been complete horse shit and just highlighted further that its his own greed he wants to fulfil with this move. Nothing about bettering his football career. I'm just shocked you've fallen hook, line & sinker for it.

What should be re-iterated is that whilst he's citing the clubs ambition, this doesn't detract from a overwhelming position from a huge majority of the fans that the club needs different owners. However that conversation needs to happen at a different time, in a different environment. Not as a side angle to take away the shit storm from Rooney basically saying he wants more money and the club he wanted to 'stay for life' at only 4 months ago cannot provide the hugely over-inflated wages that the Sheikh can pay at the council house.

Mockney

Maybe he is interested in winning Europe, at the moment we look a million miles away from Barcelona.
Well that's alright then..I see what you mean. Fair play Rooney. United only got him to 2 CL finals in a row, both of which he was average to below par in, and (considering Lyon's showing against Bayern) were unlucky to not get him to a third....But hey, yeah, he thinks this year he might not make it...He's perfectly entitled to feck off then. Best not to wait around to find out ey?

If he's interested in European success at that rate he'll be hopping clubs every summer....Ridiculous excuse. It's Stretford and money. I feel sorry for you not being able to see it...It'll hit you harder when he goes to City for 300k a week.

Mockney is speaking so much sense tonight. What has he taken?

I was poster of the year once you know?...Before I was stripped of my muppet by some repressed modmin.