The opportunism of MUST during Rooneygate.

F-Red

Maybe he is interested in winning Europe, at the moment we look a million miles away from Barcelona. He said after he talked about staying at the club for life, that he would like two big players to be signed so we could win the League back. I don't think Hernandez and Bebe really fit the bill. When he said in April that he would like to stay for life, was that before or after our season totally disintegrated in his absence? Perhaps that made him change his views.
What made him change his views was the fact that he knows he's a better player than Yaya Toure and that Toure is now earning nearly 2.5's as much as him in salary. Nothing else.

The reasons he's cited today are merely smoke screens to try to claw back some respect after Ferguson truthfully (but not literally saying) that he's just the English version Carlos Tevez when it comes to contracts.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Maybe he is interested in winning Europe, at the moment we look a million miles away from Barcelona. He said after he talked about staying at the club for life, that he would like two big players to be signed so we could win the League back.
Maybe he is -- 'winning in Europe', that's a really good point, that is. Never occured to me he wanted that.
And he'd like two big players signed 'so we could win the League back' too? It's downright tragic this genius wasn't in charge of our transfer policy, otherwise we'd maybe even win the League back and everything.

I do understand now -- and we're a million miles away from Barcelona, too.
Woe is us. :(

TheMancRedDevil

Maybe he is -- 'winning in Europe', that's a really good point, that is. Never occured to me he wanted that.
And he'd like two big players signed 'so we could win the League back' too? It's downright tragic this genius wasn't in charge of our transfer policy, otherwise we'd maybe even win the League back and everything.

I do understand now -- and we're a million miles away from Barcelona, too.
Woe is us. :(
I don't know why he just didn't ask to be made player/manager (with both salaries) when you put it like that.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Maybe he is interested in winning Europe, at the moment we look a million miles away from Barcelona. He said after he talked about staying at the club for life, that he would like two big players to be signed so we could win the League back. I don't think Hernandez and Bebe really fit the bill. When he said in April that he would like to stay for life, was that before or after our season totally disintegrated in his absence? Perhaps that made him change his views.
What a load of horse-shit. Rooney telling Fergie how to win the league? Rooney telling the most successful manager in British Football history how to win the league? Mockney's right in calling him an FM spastic. Madrid signed a lot of big players and failed to win the league, City signed a lot of expensive crap and failed to achieve their target of CL qualification. Barcelona signed Ibra and their CL performance was worse. We managed to get to another final after our success, they didn't. Spending money doesn't equate to success, do you think if we'd have signed two big name players we'd be doing any better than we are now? Our performances in the league have been very good for the most part. We just keep making mistakes at the back, which is so unusual for us considering how solid we've been there in the last few years.

We are not a million miles from Barcelona. They have the best starting XI in world football but beyond that there isn't a lot, they don't have a lot of squad depth and if they get a few injuries/suspensions coupled with loss of form for some of their players they may well struggle. We have much more squad depth but not a strong starting XI. And I feel, despite it's weaknesses this season, on top form our defence is much better than theirs.

Rooney's behaved and continues to behave like a massive cock. I personally can't wait for him to leave the club, and he will regret it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Madrid signed a lot of big players and failed to win the league, City signed a lot of expensive crap and failed to achieve their target of CL qualification. Barcelona signed Ibra and their CL performance was worse. We managed to get to another final after our success, they didn't. Spending money doesn't equate to success
Testify lil brother!

kietotheworld

What, exactly, did Gill say?
"We are not a club that needs to sell. We have money in the bank so there is zero pressure on that, no pressure at all to sell any star player whether it is Wayne Rooney or X,Y or Z. I can categorically say that."

If he goes to City, would you contend that he had no obligation not to?
Yes, although I'd be extremely disappointed with him, and then I'd think he was a cnut, but I'm waiting to see if he does that before deciding he is a cnut.

Well, not really. Is he bigger than the club? Why would Gill tell him the club are going to be shit for the next few seasons? And if Rooney really thinks United need to start spending loads of money a la City and Chelsea in order to be "ambitious" as opposed to keeping doing what they have for years in building up promising youth, then he's a bit of a FM spastic.

As is any fan who thinks United aren't ambitious cos they haven't splashed obscene amounts of cash.
He probably thinks that we need to make serious investment in order to be successful in the near future, which is obviously what his priority will be considering his contract would be for 4 or 5 years.

Not knowing if he wants to stay, and contradicting Ferguson publically, spreading rumours that he's been frozen out, then contradicting it when it's been denied, then deciding to announce he wants to leave in October, after claiming he wanted to stay for life just 6 months ago are very different things...

Even if he is telling the truth, he's basically jumped at the first opportunity...Rather than attempt to see wha gwan for a bit, which would make far more sense at a club that has rewarded him so richly over the last 6 years. He finished one point off the top last year, won a cup, said he wanted to stay for life, then after one meeting with Gill went "nope, I'm off!"...Really? Come off it.
The injury thing was very strange, but I don't see that as a reason to vilify him. As for the business with announcing it now, we don't know how much of that is to do with who, if it is his agent ringing round newspapers off his own back, or if Rooney is telling him to. It is not clear, although I'll admit it certainly doesn't look good. If Rooney sees the club as being in decline then I can't blame him for leaving, after all, most of our players have left other clubs to sign for us because they feel like they have a better chance of winning trophies with us, and receiving a better salary with us, so if I slate him for it, I would have to slate the rest of our players or be a hypocrite.

Are you 9?...I can't see how you can't?
No, I am not 9. He has not behaved well, but the level of shit he's got on here is unreal.

Well that's alright then..I see what you mean. Fair play Rooney. United only got him to 2 CL finals in a row, both of which he was average to below par in, and (considering Lyon's showing against Bayern) were unlucky to not get him to a third....But hey, yeah, he thinks this year he might not make it...He's perfectly entitled to feck off then. Best not to wait around to find out ey?

If he's interested in European success at that rate he'll be hopping clubs every summer....Ridiculous excuse. It's Stretford and money. I feel sorry for you not being able to see it...It'll hit you harder when he goes to City for 300k a week.
If he does that, you're right, I'll be devastated, but the key difference is that I'm waiting until he actually does it before judging him for it.

Pexbo said:
feck me. Is this a genuine question?

You actually think he should have said that it is realistic we are looking to sell him now? Can you imagine what that would have done? The position Rooney would be in now? The fans against Gill and the Owners even more.

You actually believe he would start chaos like that?
I think it is worth considering the possibility that Rooney may be telling the truth about the meeting occurring last week, rather than Ferguson's account of it happening in August. Neither man has an impeccable record of honesty.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Jesus Elvis, you just finished work?!
No I finished at 8, but then I watched the CL goals, Fergie's post match interview (Which gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I love that man), and then The Apprentice. Now I'm drinking whisky and listening Frank Sinatra's 'That's Life'

That's life indeed!

Bearded but no genius

I can't believe it.

Mockney not being mad, Elvis not being spammy, and Dwayne actually being witty all in the same night.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No I finished at 8, but then I watched the CL goals, Fergie's post match interview (Which gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I love that man), and then The Apprentice. Now I'm drinking whisky and listening Frank Sinatra's 'That's Life'

That's life indeed!
:lol: touché! Give 'It Was A Very Good Year' a blast next, I love that song.

Bearded but no genius

:lol: touché! Give 'It Was A Very Good Year' a blast next, I love that song.
I'd advise Elvis stay away from the "September Of My Years" LP if he's been drinking and is a bit down.

We'll find a spammer hanging from his closet in a week or so when a neighbor notices the odor.

TheMancRedDevil

"We are not a club that needs to sell. We have money in the bank so there is zero pressure on that, no pressure at all to sell any star player whether it is Wayne Rooney or X,Y or Z. I can categorically say that."
Yes, I thought that was what he said.

You will agree, then, that offering Rooney a competitive contract and Rooney refusing to sign it does not equate to us "being under pressure" to sell Wayne Rooney other than the pressure Rooney has imposed upon us with his unreasonable stance?

Number7

Ret's Slave
I agree with what they stand for but I'm taking my money out because they've pissed me right off today.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Jason I haven't spammed for ages!
Just because you wanted to spam in Europe, no doubt.
Your reluctance to spam here is but a beacon of warning to us, letting us know you're off to /b/ or somewhere even spammier in Europe.

(Listening to 'It Was A Very Good Year' right now.)

MUFF -- 'Dive in, you know you want to!'

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yes, although I'd be extremely disappointed with him, and then I'd think he was a cnut, but I'm waiting to see if he does that before deciding he is a cnut.
Well I suppose that's fair enough, but I can't possibly see what could redeem him now.

To say the club aren't ambitious and he wants out after 6 years of success with us and one off season of not spending any money is farcically knee jerk. So h should be ridiculed for that alone. It's worse than any of our Tranfer forum lot..Not to mention the fact he was quite happy in April.

So that's disrespect for one...And after disrespecting Fergie and United quite flagrantly after 6 good years at the club, it's fairly easy to see where the hate is..He tried to engineer a "breakdown with manager" scenario after seeing it work with Beckham, but it backfired, so he went Glazer instead. It seems oh so very very obvious to me...And many others here evidently. But if you can't see that, fair enough.

On your side note as to us giving him grief unfairly... Yes we have indeed caused other players to do such things to other clubs (though in fairness, with far more legitimacy. They're rarely leaving clubs who've just finished 2nd and a CL QF and Cup are they?) But in those circumstances, I don't begrudge those fans for hating on them..I completely get why Everton fans hate Rooney, and after the whole badge kissing things I'd find them weird if they didn't...Ditto Spurs fans with Berba who went on strike..I get it. Thus why I get this. Unless you argued none of those fans had a case, I don't see what point you're trying to make about that..

But hey, I hope you're right. But I think you'll be sadly dissapointed. There is almost nothing I can think of that can redeem his situation.

kietotheworld

Yes, I thought that was what he said.

You will agree, then, that offering Rooney a competitive contract and Rooney refusing to sign it does not equate to us "being under pressure" to sell Wayne Rooney other than the pressure Rooney has imposed upon us with his unreasonable stance?
I don't see how it's unreasonable, but in any case, he'd already imposed the pressure if you believe what Ferguson says, by saying he wouldn't sign a contract on August 14th. The pressure was already there.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't see how it's unreasonable, but in any case, he'd already imposed the pressure if you believe what Ferguson says, by saying he wouldn't sign a contract on August 14th. The pressure was already there.
So you think Rooney is being completely reasonable here and the club is being very unreasonable?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Gill is referring to financial pressure - he's saying that we don't need to sell players to service the debts.

Amir

I'm embarrased to be associated with them, for the simple fact I am a United supporter. I want our owners gone just like the rest of us - well, most of us - but there are times you have to Unite behind another cause and not look for cheap gains.

TheMancRedDevil

I think you're taking it out of context.

The point Gill was making is that we are under no pressure to sell star players in order to make up the deficit in the P&L account (because that loss was largely non-cash items).

Rooney has put us under pressure to sell him because if we don't sell him during January, we'll be basically stuffed and we are now left hoping that whatever offer we receive for him is fair to us.

He has given us no alternative but to seek to sell him and, after all that we have given him, I think it is unreasonable of him to put us in this position at the end of the day.