The Premier League is Crap

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It is feeling the same now as when Dortmund top the table for a week and Bayern decide actually they've changed their mind and are going to win the next fifteen games in a row.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
City will continue winning long after Pep leaves if they are allowed to keep on cheating. Pep has changed their culture but he isnt the difference between the other teams.

Arsenal bottling it is a big story because they were 8 points clear at one point. It’s nothing like Liverpool getting 97 points and still not winning it.
You're clearly in denial if you think he isn't. They will win titles without him, but not as much as they're doing with him and certainly not in such a dominating form.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
The PL is of course money driven. The challenge is who a) has the most b) spends it best. If you look at spending in the 1990’s, Manchester United were dominating as they were the richest and most famous club in the world. It allowed them to get the best players, pay amongst the highest wages and reputationally were untouchable.

Times have changed, but the issues themselves have not. Everyone has more money now because of TV and the globalisation of the PL, but there is still an enormous gulf in income/expenditure between say, Manchester City and Fulham. Or Manchester United and Brentford. Or Newcastle and Leicester.

The haves and have-nots is nothing new, it’s just the figures are higher and the entities have changed.

When Manchester United get their takeover, it will all look different again, Manchester United will become title contenders again, and the PL won’t be “shit” any more from fans of your club’s perspective.

Guy Incognito

City will continue winning long after Pep leaves if they are allowed to keep on cheating. Pep has changed their culture but he isnt the difference between the other teams.

Arsenal bottling it is a big story because they were 8 points clear at one point. It’s nothing like Liverpool getting 97 points and still not winning it.
Having played a game more. Granted it was in their hands but we all knew Arsenal's form would dip at some point.

My point was the shortcomings of City's rivals will always be highlighted rather than City doing something extraordinary (ie: putting a run together) which is taken for granted. Even in the seasons they pipped Liverpool on the final day, the coverage was all about Liverpool which irked City.

Until Pep leaves, the bar to win the league will continue to be set high.

2016-17 - 87 points after 36 games
2017-18 - 87 points after 33 games
2018-19 - 98 points after 38 games
2019-20 - 86 points after 31 games
2020-21 - 80 points after 35 games
2021-22 - 93 points after 38 games
2022-23 - 85 points (minimum) - provided Arsenal lose to Forest

KeanoMagicHat

League football is rarely the most entertaining - there’s a reason why the FA Cup caught the attention of the public as the biggest trophy for most of English football history. It’s a result of Sky and money pumped into it and hype that it’s considered more important than the FA Cup. That’s where the money is so you get full strength teams and high paid hyping.

And why the World Cup and Champions League are the most entertaining football. Knockout, anything can happen on the day. League football is a pure type of football, the best teams wins as there’s no fluking 38 matches. But the chances of it being a really exciting title race or several different winners every year are slim. How many really good title races have there been since Aguero in 2012? Probably just looking at the two City-Liverpool ones, that’s it. And some have been absolute processions.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The PL is of course money driven. The challenge is who a) has the most b) spends it best. If you look at spending in the 1990’s, Manchester United were dominating as they were the richest and most famous club in the world. It allowed them to get the best players, pay amongst the highest wages and reputationally were untouchable.

Times have changed, but the issues themselves have not. Everyone has more money now because of TV and the globalisation of the PL, but there is still an enormous gulf in income/expenditure between say, Manchester City and Fulham. Or Manchester United and Brentford. Or Newcastle and Leicester.

The haves and have-nots is nothing new, it’s just the figures are higher and the entities have changed.

When Manchester United get their takeover, it will all look different again, Manchester United will become title contenders again, and the PL won’t be “shit” any more from fans of your club’s perspective.
Please do some research on club’s spending in the 90’s before posting shite.

This isn’t to say we didn’t spend.

1992-1998 net spend
Newcastle: £40,570,000 (> 4000% more than United)
Arsenal: £31,070,000 (> 3100% more than United)
Liverpool: £29,625,000 (> 2900% more than United spent)
Chelsea: £27,705,000 (> 2700% more than United spent)
Spurs: £18,630,000 (> 1800% more than United spent)
City: £12,070,000 (> 1200% more than United spent)
United: -£40,000
In this time we won 4 leagues, 2 FA Cups.

Our spending did increase after 1998, but this was due to our success and coinciding with the globalisation of the premier league and Sky.

432JuanMata

Please do some research on club’s spending in the 90’s before posting shite.

This isn’t to say we didn’t spend.

In this time we won 4 leagues, 2 FA Cups.

Our spending did increase after 1998, but this was due to our success and coinciding with the globalisation of the premier league and Sky.
The problem with net spend is it doesn’t show the full picture.City’s net spend this season was the lowest in the league and one of the lowest over the last few years. This was made by them dropping 1Billion then able to sell them players down the line to fund other top players

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The problem with net spend is it doesn’t show the full picture.City’s net spend this season was the lowest in the league and one of the lowest over the last few years. This was made by them dropping 1Billion then able to sell them players down the line to fund other top players
Sure - but take it over a 7-8 year period like the above. How much is it?

I looked it up - Pep has spent over a billion :lol:
His net spend up until last summer is £661m. Which is ludicrous.

90 + 5min

I like it. I really like it. Overpaid players can now watch games from their chairs at home.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Farmers league.

Arsenal lose to the worst Bayern team of all time
City lose to a team with a few pensioners playing, third choice goalkeeper and no striker
Liverpool smashed to 6th placed Atalanta at home
West ham lose to a team that had never won a thing before the first leg.

What an awful league.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Need Chelsea and Liverpool back in this to regain some respect for the PL :wenger:

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
The real farmers league.
City - defending champions out in the quarter finals

Arsenal - out in the quarter finals with a whimper

Newcastle - finished bottom of their group

Man United - finished bottom of their group

Brighton - absolutely destroyed in R16 of the Europa League

Liverpool- currently 3-0 down in the EL quarter finals

West Ham - currently 2-0 down in the EL quarter finals

Safe to say it has not been a vintage year for 'The best league in the world' TM

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Farmers league updated table :
1- Premier League
2- La Liga
3- Ligue 1
4- Serie A
5- Bundesliga

RuudTom83

But Sky Sports are always telling me it’s the best league in the world and never been better! :rolleyes:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
City - defending champions out in the quarter finals

Arsenal - out in the quarter finals with a whimper

Newcastle - finished bottom of their group

Man United - finished bottom of their group

Brighton - absolutely destroyed in R16 of the Europa League

Liverpool- currently 3-0 down in the EL quarter finals

West Ham - currently 2-0 down in the EL quarter finals

Safe to say it has not been a vintage year for 'The best league in the world' TM
The league is very poor this year.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It used to be the best. I used to watch any match , whoever was playing, and loved it but the last few years it's become more and more boring.
Skill is disappearing and just waiting for someone to make a mistake.

VAR is killing the game as well which isn't helping.
Between City, VAR, poor refereeing, incredibly poor and bias media coverage, it has become a bit of a bore.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I couldn't care less whether the Prem was the best league in the world or not. In many ways I wish it wasn't.

But for a while now it likely is, a poor knock out week is good for a laugh - but it's not indicative of a downward trend.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Get City relegated and gone for a few seasons and the league would at least be interesting. We would all be in the mix

Eddy_JukeZ

I still maintain despite all the money pumped in, it's never approached the relative dominance it had during 2007-2008.

Every single English team knocked out by another in the UCL. You can easily argue the 4 best teams in the world were the big 4 from the Premier League. A rebuttal that the traditional giants in Europe weren't at their best also holds true now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I still maintain despite all the money pumped in, it's never approached the relative dominance it had during 2007-2008.

Every single English team knocked out by another in the UCL. You can easily argue the 4 best teams in the world were the big 4 from the Premier League. A rebuttal that the traditional giants in Europe weren't at their best also holds true now.
Football was more fun then too. I loved counter attacking ping pong football games that were end to end rather than the methodical robot football that has slowly entered and taken over. It's why neutrals love teams like Luton coming up, they're a bit of a throwback to those days.

Vault Dweller

:lol:

Football was more fun then too. I loved counter attacking ping pong football games that were end to end rather than the methodical robot football that has slowly entered and taken over. It's why neutrals love teams like Luton coming up, they're a bit of a throwback to those days.
Agreed. The methodical style of play that nearly every team is trying to play is boring AF. Give me free flowing attacking football, smashing crosses with bullet headers, and rockets from miles out galore. Those were the days :drool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:lol:

Agreed. The methodical style of play that nearly every team is trying to play is boring AF. Give me free flowing attacking football, smashing crosses with bullet headers, and rockets from miles out galore. Those were the days :drool:
Definitely. It was quite refreshing hearing Schweinsteiger in his interview with the Overlap speaking fairly similarly and how Pep and his style has seeped into clubs in the respective leagues he's managed and has had a detrimental impact in terms of watchability.

Pintu

The league isn't crap... the games are actually quite entertaining, but at the same the final table is often very predictable.

Vault Dweller

Definitely. It was quite refreshing hearing Schweinsteiger in his interview with the Overlap speaking fairly similarly and how Pep and his style has seeped into clubs in the respective leagues he's managed and has had a detrimental impact in terms of watchability.
Yeah agree because it's true. I used to watch so many games but really can't be bothered much these days. I do watch the mighty SPFL though :D it's actually been interesting this season with some teams way outperforming their capability and some utterly failing. And not everyone tries to play the exact same way.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The phrase "shit on a stick football" was coined in response to a Chelsea-Liverpool game from back then