The Race for Fourth Place

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Arsenal will get 4th. They've been in this spot loads of times and always find a way to get over the line.

We will give ourselves half a chance if we win all five though.

Water Melon

Winning all remaining games is a mission impossible imho. I believe we will drop points against Everton and Southampton. If it's not us, then I'd want Everton to finish 4th.

Rory 7

To be fair didn't Spurs beat us at OT last season? And Everton are a quality side. The Newcastle and WBA defeats, along with surrendering the 3 points late on against Soton and Fulham are the results that are the most disappointing for me.
Yep. That is 12 points dropped that should have us challenging for the title as normal.

The White Pele

If we were to beat Everton and Arsenal were to drop points either this weekend against West Sam or next weekend away at Hull then it will create a bit of excitement. On the back of that happening I'd expect us to win our next 3 games at home and then away at Southampton on the last day if it was still alive.

If we don't beat Everton or if Arsenal win their next two games before we even play then it's off and we will probably drop more points along the way.

SiRed

If Chelsea win the CL we'd hardly qualify in fifth spot, would we?
It doesn't work like that. A maximum of 4 teams per nation. If Chelsea win it then it will still be Chelsea and whoever else finishes in the top 4 with them that qualify.

Chabon

Which is why top 4 cannot be the aim next season. Even a slight improvement this season and we'd be in with a decent shout of 4th. That's simply too low an aim for this squad.
It's pretty much nailed on that we'll go into next season as the third biggest spenders in the league (wages and squad cost), so third should, just like this year, be the bare minimum for an acceptable season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's pretty much nailed on that we'll go into next season as the third biggest spenders in the league (wages and squad cost), so third should, just like this year, be the bare minimum for an acceptable season.
Depends. If 3rd is far behind the top 2 or the first placed then no. We need to put in a proper challenge like Liverpool, City and Chelsea have for me.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I think I'd celebrate getting top 4 after the hell we've been through this season on parity with winning the title last season. I'd probably put Arsenal players/fans to shame.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Everton are 9 points ahead with 5 games to go, don't do this to yourselves. :nono:

Havak

Pokemon master
It is not completely out of the question, but it does require us winning all of our remaining games which is unlikely.

Everton lost tonight. If us and City can both go there and win (maybe unlikely, but not at all impossible) then we'll be ahead of Everton so long as us winning grants us a better goal difference than them (which it really should). Arsenal have the FA Cup final to fit into their calender, and while I expect them to not drop enough points, again it's entirely possible that they would.

Maybe I am clutching at straws, but the players should definitely be gunning for this last chance with a glimmer of hope.

Chabon

I reckon there's a pretty good chance we'll go into the last day of the season still with a very vague chance of fourth. Good God, he's turned us into Spurs.

Glanville95

I reckon there's a pretty good chance we'll go into the last day of the season still with a very vague chance of fourth. Good God, he's turned us into Spurs.
Going into the 38th gameweek still in contention for 4th place doesn't really fit the description of a 'vague chance'. United could definitely do it, if that's the case. Arsenal will probably run away with 4th now anyway.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ain't gonna happen. We've got to rely on neither Arsenal or Everton getting 6 or 7 points respectively, and that's if we win all our games which is unlikely in itself.

Chabon

Going into the 38th gameweek still in contention for 4th place doesn't really fit the description of a 'vague chance'.
I mean I could see us being 2 or 3 points behind Arsenal, who go away to what will by then be an already relegated Norwich.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's done. 4 east games left for Arsenal and they only need to win two of them to make it impossible for us to finish ahead of them.

We won't finish ahead of Everton either, 6 points is a lot at this stage even if their fixture list doesn't look all that easy. We should be able to complete the season ahead of Spurs with a good finish but it's not really a given.

SalfordRed1960

It's done. 4 east games left for Arsenal and they only need to win two of them to make it impossible for us to finish ahead of them.

We won't finish ahead of Everton either, 6 points is a lot at this stage even if their fixture list doesn't look all that easy. We should be able to complete the season ahead of Spurs with a good finish but it's not really a given.
Everton have just lost. Game in hand could make it 6 points. We beat them could be 3, they then have to play City. Could be equal. Still think Arsenal have it in the bag, but Everton could be caught. Naturally, assumes our players haven't switched off.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Everton have just lost. Game in hand could make it 6 points. We beat them could be 3, they then have to play City. Could be equal. Still think Arsenal have it in the bag, but Everton could be caught. Naturally, assumes our players haven't switched off.
Yep but it requires us to win all remaining games which will be very tough. We slip up once and we're not catching them. We fail to win at Goodison and we aren't catching them. It's a huge task with not much of a reward in the end.

redpie

Really needed West Ham to get something from Arsenal the other night but even if it is the hope that kills you here goes my dream scenario.
They (Arsenal) now only need 6 points from 4 games. Let us say Arsenal be Arsenal and lose away to Hull City and either Newcastle or more likely relegation fighters West Brom get a point at the Emirates it would go down to the last day with Arsenal needing to win away at Norwich with the canaries possibly needing a win or a draw to stay up. How so? What about Everton and Spurs?
Well, of course this only works if we Man Utd win all our games taking us to 72 points which would take care of Spurs as they can only get a maximum of 72 points and we already have a +18 goal difference on them.
What about Everton after losing at home? We need them to drop another 6 points. We obviously have to beat them but they still have to host Man City in the penultimate game of the season. City will be desperate to win that to at least take it down to the last day for them.
Everton do have a +3 goal difference on us but because we have to wwwww and they have to lose or draw some blanks so GD takes care of itself in our favour.
So there you have it. You may think the least likely part is us winning all our 5 games. Have you seen our run-in though? Apart from Everton away easier than the hardest of hard starts Moyes was moaning about. Maximum points for the taking.
So it is settled. We get 4th spot on goal difference.

redpie

Looks like its going to Arsenal. They were favorites even before their last match.
I agree it is very likely to be Arsenal but if they do lose away to Hull and we win away at Everton there is a plausible route to 4th spot. As you say Arsenal big favorites.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah Arsenal would need to drop 7 out of 12 remaining points and we would need to win our remaining 5. Not impossible but distinctly improbable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This thread is a depressing read. What a horrific four months it's been.
I've resigned myself to no trophies and that Moyes is here to stay for at least another year, so at this point, I'll be quite pleased if we win our remaining five and play attractive football that utilyzes the likes of Kagawa, Mata, Nani, and Januzaj. Finishing with 72 points would be decent tally for such a calamatous year.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Depressing, I've got so accustomed to bad things and when I suddenly take a step back and read this pages, it just hit me

Manchester United falls out of top 4, and not only that We are also out of the "contention for fourth" since February. All in the space of 8 months after winning the League.

And David fecking Moyes still can smile and manages us... he's the closest thing to a real life superman, he's bulletproof

Twisted with Power

from the fiery depths of...a Smarties packet?
Really needed West Ham to get something from Arsenal the other night but even if it is the hope that kills you here goes my dream scenario.
They (Arsenal) now only need 6 points from 4 games. Let us say Arsenal be Arsenal and lose away to Hull City and either Newcastle or more likely relegation fighters West Brom get a point at the Emirates it would go down to the last day with Arsenal needing to win away at Norwich with the canaries possibly needing a win or a draw to stay up. How so? What about Everton and Spurs?
Well, of course this only works if we Man Utd win all our games taking us to 72 points which would take care of Spurs as they can only get a maximum of 72 points and we already have a +18 goal difference on them.
What about Everton after losing at home? We need them to drop another 6 points. We obviously have to beat them but they still have to host Man City in the penultimate game of the season. City will be desperate to win that to at least take it down to the last day for them.
Everton do have a +3 goal difference on us but because we have to wwwww and they have to lose or draw some blanks so GD takes care of itself in our favour.
So there you have it. You may think the least likely part is us winning all our 5 games. Have you seen our run-in though? Apart from Everton away easier than the hardest of hard starts Moyes was moaning about. Maximum points for the taking.
So it is settled. We get 4th spot on goal difference.
...no more coffee for you :nono:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Everton managed to throw it away which was very surprising given the opposition last night.

Too little too late for us though I wouldn't have rated our chances simply because we haven't gone on many winning runs, with our longest (4) sandwiched between the two consecutive losses vs Everton and Newcastle and the loss at home vs Spurs.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yeah Arsenal would need to drop 7 out of 12 remaining points and we would need to win our remaining 5. Not impossible but distinctly improbable.
Considering Arsenal's opponents in the last 4 games, that's as close to impossible as you could get. They only need to win 2 games out of 4.

Anduin

If we beat Everton we're just going to miss out by a couple of points... see Fulham at home. It's so horrendous it's almost funny :lol:

We basically need Hull to beat Arsenal and Newcastle to get a draw at the Emirates. Gunners will beat West Brom at home, so dropping four points in their next two is essential. Damn you West Ham, they could've given us a real lifeline there.

If Everton lose to us, I don't expect them to pick up again this season. They still have City and Southampton to come.

It's all useless talk though, we won't beat Everton at Goodison Park.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Don't do this to yourselves, us getting 4th given Arsenal's remaining fixtures is just not going to happen.

malappapper

I think it's almost impossible for United to get that 4th spot this season, but next season, Arsenal will be the favourites to drop out of the CL places.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Forth place is long gone but fifth spot is a big improvement on sixth if we dont want our season to start in July.
Ah sh!t, is there an extra round of the Europa in July we'll have to buy on the season tickets?!