The re-signing of Ander Herrera

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAGuest

Would improve our squad short term. I don't think it's what we should be going for unless PSG are willing to let him go for free and also cover part of his contract.

laughtersassassin

He is better than Fred but I would never resign him.

We need to sign a DM. It will be a disaster if we don't.

Acole9

Outstanding
Don't want him back here. He's average, doubt he'd get many games.

FrantikChicken

I never warmed to this guy and I always felt like he was overrated on here. I wouldn't really want him back in any capacity

Polar

Is it? Pogba seems to be capable of doing it multiple times.
Nah… Not exactly the same. He was more an academy player who wasn’t good enough to play for United (when he left us). I assume it was just as much United decision as his.

Can’t remember Pogba has left us more than once;)

Rolaholic

No thanks, he's an actual mercenary who isn't worth what he was demanding from the club. We could do much better in terms MF options

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d much rather us sign neves, he’s the exact type of midfield player we need, he’s an upgrade on Fred and mctominay. We should be looking at players to improve our squad on what we’ve already got, not just players who come in and aren’t better then who we already have.

United in sin

The Spanish McTominay. Our limited passion player quota is filled. No thanks.

What he ever do couldn’t shoot, couldn’t pass, no presence, to lightweight. Just a Meh player.
To be fair to Herrera he had a decent shot and he actually scored a few belters for us. I do admit he made it appear he was aiming for a Rugby goal on occasion with his long range attempts!

Last edited:

FujiVice

Never stick my neck out on this kind of thing for fear of looking like an idiot, but I guessed this as soon as Messi signed that some paper would run with a clickbait story of Herrera coming back to United. We want a midfielder, they want to cut their wage bill.

fecking guy is 32 and on massive wages. feck him.

Just clogs up our midfield with another player who's not much better than Fred or McTominay, who asks for over €100000/week and who's old and will be difficult to unload.

I'd rather wait for someone to become available who actually fixes a problem with our squad than buy a midfielder for the sake of it.

Deery

Dreary
The Spanish McTominay. Our limited passion player quota is filled. No thanks
McTominay has given us a lot more moments that Herrera ever did in his short career, unless you like to watch a dog chasing a ball type football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was always average across the board, and isn't the type of player we need.

arthurka

Nah… Not exactly the same. He was more an academy player who wasn’t good enough to play for United (when he left us). I assume it was just as much United decision as his.

Can’t remember Pogba has left us more than once;)
Give it a couple of months.

MadMike

He is better than Fred but I would never resign him.
No he is not. He was better than Fred. He is 32 and his best season was in 16/17 when he was 27. He went downhill after that. Fred has been playing better than him for the last 3 years at least.

Raven

So whats he done for United and Brazil that proves his quality even half as much as being one of the best players in the champions league final?
The fact that he's Manchester United's go to midfielder? Something Herrera never really achieved.

United in sin

McTominay has given us a lot more moments that Herrera ever did in his short career, unless you like to watch a dog chasing a ball type football.

Are you sure? Herrera gave us 20 goals and 26 assists. There are some gems of goals in there. McTominay only has 2 assists for united period! If anything McTominay is a level below the already decidedly average Herrera. Both are fan favorite 'passion' players who've never matched the hype on the pitch

Deery

Dreary

Are you sure? Herrera gave us 20 goals and 26 assists. There are some gems of goals in there. McTominay only has 2 assists for united period! If anything McTominay is a level below the already decidedly average Herrera. Both are fan favorite 'passion' players who've never matched the hype on the pitch
2:35 says different

Yagami

Good post resistant
He was a brilliant dm. Won the ball back for fun, was tidy in the build-up from defence, gave Pogba the licence to do his thing as he could cover the entirety of the pitch.

Then, after stumbling upon this great position for him, we turned him back into a box-to-box cm where he wasn't as nearly as effective.

If he can still play to the level he did then, he'd be a fine signing to allow Pogba and Bruno to do their thing. He was a lot better than Fred and McTominay have been for us, and has the legs to cover the field over Matic who's better than Herrera in possession.

laughtersassassin

No he is not. He was better than Fred. He is 32 and his best season was in 16/17 when he was 27. He went downhill after that. Fred has been playing better than him for the last 3 years at least.
Semantics.

Point is Herrera wasn't good enough and neither is Fred.

Not even close

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Those stats aren't down to the ability of the players, more so their different roles within the team. McTominay often stays back to protect the house. He very rarely makes a forward run.

Herrera had Carrick behind him, he played more box-to-box. Who does McTominay have behind him?

::sonny::

From Eduardo Camavinga, Saul Niguez and Ruben Neves to Herrera

Panic buy (would be)

theklr

Hard to say really, depends how his speed and stamina is . It has been a few years now. If he’s still more or less at the level he was for us I think it’s be worth a punt on a free

jesperjaap

Bar a very good six months he was pretty damn average for me, maybe improves us but certainly not much and the mere fact its debatable says enough considerign how average we are there at the moment anyway

Redlyn

I liked him as a player but he left and is not what we need. Added to Fred and McT it's just too much of a muchness and not quite good enough.

lsd

The Oracle
“One of our best”, fecking hell.

yup.

And no way would Fred allow Mark fecking Noble to carry him off the pitch.
Herrera summed up everything that was so shit about us as a team back then, average, a wimp but a bit of a trier who said the right thing.

I honestly think i actually despise him for that, he just behaved like a total wimp and is easily one of the most embarrassing things i have seen a United player

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Who cooks up these stories, seriously? That ship sailed long ago.

MUFC OK

We are seriously desperate for a reinforcement at cm but I cannot get excited about the prospect of this.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
this thread is a bunch of people taking out their feelings about exes on a football player.

lsd

The Oracle
Still angers me how soft he is. Thank god Keane is alive as he would be turning in his grave

Chairman Steve

I liked him enough at the time but never felt too sad that he left and felt we could do much better.

Ekeke

Those stats aren't down to the ability of the players, more so their different roles within the team. McTominay often stays back to protect the house. He very rarely makes a forward run.

Herrera had Carrick behind him, he played more box-to-box. Who does McTominay have behind him?
No he didnt, he had Pogba next to him most of the time and had to balance his lack of defending out

United in sin

McTominay is seldom ever the deepest CM, even when he happens to play with Pogba in midfield it's McTominay who is allowed to play advanced. He is poor positionally and Solskjaer knows this. McTominay is a pure 8, hardly ever plays 6.

Eplel

Letting him go on a free (while handling ludicrous extensions to Jones etc) was criminal, but I don't think he's what we need now.

If we get a midfielder, it has to be Ndidi.

Status
Not open for further replies.