The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

That was an interesting watch.

My favourite one was one I watched a while back about Ray Robinson, can't remember what is was called more though as there were a few.

Be sure to post any more good ones you come across.
A really good Robinson one was HBOs “The bright lights and dark shadows” that’s probably the one. It was great.

Here’s a great one

The Latin legends. Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Kid Gavilan and two of my personal favorites of all-time in Salvador Sanchez and Carlos Ortiz.

Good interviews, footage and stories about some of the greatest and most important Latino boxers in history.

lsd

The Oracle
Wilder has fought 1 fighter in the top 5. :lol:

Joshua brings everything to the table. When your own countrymen won't turn out to watch you windmill some overwieght pensioner, you can't expect to stand on an even keel with someone booking out stadiums.

We are all well aware of your irrational dislike of Joshua, but at least try and use a bit of subtlety.

Ortiz would beat AJ and his last few opponents with ease

Again you try and judge a fighter by his supporters which is irrelevant

I don't mind AJ I like the fact he takes money of so many gullible Brits .

He will have to stop running from a real fight some day though

Inter Yer Nan

I stopped paying attention to negotiation but wasn’t it Wilder that walked away from the fight? The fight was all but there he just had to say yes for $15m when his highest purse has been $2m. He chose to go another direction.

Joshua also fought the same Klitschko than Wilder and his team refused to fight and admitted they weren’t ready.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Alright fella, you keep pretending that's true.

Andersons Dietician

The only reason Joshua earns more is for some reason British people are happy to pay big money to watch him continually take easy fights with no risk of him losing

It's nothing to do with being a better fighter and we will never know what he is capable until he stops running from Wilder
What kind of rubbish is this :lol:

He fought and beat one of the best heavyweights ever, oh and he won. I’ll be surprised if Wilder beats Fury. Heck Dyllian, Parker would all beat Wilder. He’s nothing but a puncher and as soon as he fights someone decent h’ll Be found out.

Roopea

:lol: Yeah a man that has never won a world title and didn't win anything of note in the amateurs despite having hundreds of fights is going to beat Wlad (a future hall of famer with 10 years at the top of the HW division) with ease. Whyte and Parker would beat this old Ortiz IMO.

Thisistheone

First time I've seen Alvarez and he looked impressive. Kovalev a shadow of what he was a couple of years ago though.

RedFish

What kind of rubbish is this :lol:

He fought and beat one of the best heavyweights ever, oh and he won. I’ll be surprised if Wilder beats Fury. Heck Dyllian, Parker would all beat Wilder. He’s nothing but a puncher and as soon as he fights someone decent h’ll Be found out.

Not sure about that. That right hand is one heck of an equaliser. If he lands first it's good night.

Andersons Dietician

Not sure about that. That right hand is one heck of an equaliser. If he lands first it's good night.
It is a great punch, but that is all it is. His technique is so sloppy it’s amazing he has made it this far but that’s what happens when you fight nobodies. He is undoubtedly one of if not the hardest puncher in the division but if you put him in with Klitschko he’d be knocked out within 2 rounds.

ivaldo

Not much wrong with his KO technique tbf.:D
I could have the longest drive in the world, but if the rest of my game is gash, and I only player in amateur tournaments, I could hardly call myself a good golfer.

RedFish

No one is disputing that he can punch hard. If he was 6'1 he'd be a club fighter.
Sure, but in the hurt game, he does what he needs to do. You're right of course, his technique is laughable, but he's had the last laugh up until this point. At HW, technique counts for shit if you're caught with a killer shot, which with Wilder, can happen at any time.

The Bloody-Nine

Sure, but in the hurt game, he does what he needs to do. You're right of course, his technique is laughable, but he's had the last laugh up until this point. At HW, technique counts for shit if you're caught with a killer shot, which with Wilder, can happen at any time.
He hasn't exactly fought a murderer's row. Not his fault at all, but he's fortunate the Povetkin fight didn't happen, because he would have lost.

RedFish

I could have the longest drive in the world, but if the rest of my game is gash, and I only player in amateur tournaments, I could hardly call myself a good golfer.
Not a great analogy mate. Wilder wins his fights, ultimately it's not how you do it. He DOES have appaling technique, but there's no disputing that anyone caught with that right hand at full power, and it's lights out. In boxing, nothing else matters.

ivaldo

Not a great analogy mate. Wilder wins his fights, ultimately it's not how you do it. He DOES have appaling technique, but there's no disputing that anyone caught with that right hand at full power, and it's lights out. In boxing, nothing else matters.
Yes, against no bodies, hence the second part of the analogy? 2 fighters inside the top 10, one of them a 38 year old who was gassed by the 6th round, tells you all you need to know about the quality of his oppositon.

It's all well and good having a knockout punch, but you've got to get into a position to land it first. The fact that his defense is shit, his footwork is shit, his jab is shit and his balance is shit, means he's not going to find it quite so easy to punch Joshua or Fury as it was to tag Bermane Stiverne.

SambaBoy

Surely the end of Kovalev now, considering his age and this latest loss, there's no way back really. Still got the skills as evident by being up on the cards IMO but mentality he's just not there and he's slowed down. He was one of my favourite fighters at one point so it's a shame to see and he could have cemented a real good legacy if he was rightfully given the Ward win and if Stevenson didn't duck him so much.

RedFish

Yes, against no bodies, hence the second part of the analogy? 2 fighters inside the top 10, one of them a 38 year old who was gassed by the 6th round, tells you all you need to know about the quality of his oppositon.

It's all well and good having a knockout punch, but you've got to get into a position to land it first. The fact that his defense is shit, his footwork is shit, his jab is shit and his balance is shit, means he's not going to find it quite so easy to punch Joshua or Fury as it was to tag Bermane Stiverne.
Fair enough, what is intriguing (for me at least) is that he goes into a fight with Joshua or any current HW as a serious, serious threat. It's not just the KO power, it's the speed at which he throws it. Someone as statuesque as AJ (although his movement is getting better) is highly vulnerable, and coming back to the obvious....it only takes one punch.....

If you're as mobile as a fit Fury then I think Wilder would struggle big time, against AJ not so much. I wouldn't like to call that fight, as much as I want to say AJ would be take it.

RedFish

Surely the end of Kovalev now, considering his age and this latest loss, there's no way back really. Still got the skills as evident by being up on the cards IMO but mentality he's just not there and he's slowed down. He was one of my favourite fighters at one point so it's a shame to see and he could have cemented a real good legacy if he was rightfully given the Ward win and if Stevenson didn't duck him so much.
Hate to say it, but he looks shot. I'd rather he retire, that go through a process of dwindling to nothing. A great fighter at his peak.

ivaldo

Fair enough, what is intriguing (for me at least) is that he goes into a fight with Joshua or any current HW as a serious, serious threat. It's not just the KO power, it's the speed at which he throws it. Someone as statuesque as AJ (although his movement is getting better) is a highly vulnerable, and coming back to the obvious....it only takes one punch.....

If you're as mobile as a fit Fury then I think Wilder would struggle big time, against AJ not so much. I wouldn't like to call that fight as much as I want to say AJ would be take it.
Which would be fine if Joshua didn't have huge power, a long reach, and fast hands. On top of that Joshua has far, far better technique. Wilder isnt going to get away with windmilling against someone who can actually box, and the chances are Joshua will land a bomb first. You saw what someone like Ortiz did to Wilder. Now imagine someone taller, faster, fitter, stronger and technically better being in that same position.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
A really good Robinson one was HBOs “The bright lights and dark shadows” that’s probably the one. It was great.

Here’s a great one

The Latin legends. Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Kid Gavilan and two of my personal favorites of all-time in Salvador Sanchez and Carlos Ortiz.

Good interviews, footage and stories about some of the greatest and most important Latino boxers in history.
Cheers, I'll watch it when I have some free time.

And yes I think that's the Robinson one I'm thinking of. What a legend the guy was, unbelievable record and his life was fascinating too. The guy seemed to have the lot, he'd have been an icon if he was around now.

Annoyingly they reckon that some of his best performances came off the camera, if I remember right they hadn't been created by that time.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Rubbish video quality but I so hope this is true :lol:
Saunders throws chicken at Wilder then legs it.

Yeah, there's plenty more videos out there. One shows how the whole thing starts - Saunders is getting introduced and shaking hands with Wilder's entourage on their table and it's all good and friendly until he gets to DW who shakes his hand and then asks him something like "didn't you call me a racist cnut in your press conference? What's up with that?" and stands up, to which Saunders responds "yeah, I did" and then they're kind of restrained by their people but there's a lot of pushing and shoving and presumably this is when the chicken is being thrown. :lol:

MAME DIOUF 32

Looking forward to seeing the true champ dispose of another big stiff idiot tonight. I still can't bring myself to believe the Wilder fight is happening though, and tbh I'd rather he had a few more fights first.