The RedCafe Boxing Thread

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
1. He looked cross-eyed before the fight, tense during the anthems and was getting a bizarre neck massage from his trainer.

2. He was asking strange questions, even after the first two rounds when he hadn't taken any real damage.

3. His desperation to get Ruiz out of there as soon as he was hurt - this is a mistake AJ has made in the past (Klitschko) so maybe this isn't one to take a deep look at.

4. Following none of the instructions he was given despite showing a strong desire to actually receive advice in between rounds.

5. His dad having a go at Hearn.

6. I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone and maybe it holds no weight, but he just looked too happy when it was over to me. I understand he's being gracious in defeat and he likes Ruiz, but he looked like the most relieved man on the planet. When I've been absolutely shackled by nerves in the build up to an event in the past, I am always on cloud 9 when its over irrespective of how it went. It reminded me so much of that.

I personally think its fair to assume with complete confidence that something was up. We will likely never know the truth of it - perhaps largely because Hearn could be finished if these rumours are true. In any case, Ruiz was excellent. His technical ability was a joy to watch and if AJ comes back and fights to the best of his ability, I can still see Ruiz winning. Fair play to him.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Best thing to come out of Ruiz beating Joshua is that it's a big feck you to greedy boxing promoters, waiting year on year for the maximum profit. Maybe now, fight should get made when they're 'supposed' to happen. Somehow I doubt it.
This is why the heavyweight division is a shambles. Lots of good fighters who’s backroom teams are managing them to avoid all the others. Bar Fury taking Wilder on.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Harsh that people are writing off the panic attack reason. It could be down to any number of reasons, including mounting pressure to succeed at the back of the mind, regardless of how big the fight is.

Also harsh to argue that he should've called it off then, despite pressure from Hearn. Pressure from the guy that's opened the door to everything he has, holds his career in his hands, and is clearly very persuasive. People instantly sided with women pressured into doing something by the biggest players in their industry, but when a bloke feels the pressure to do something they say then it's different?

RoyH1

You just made up your own straw man and argued against it. What Ruiz did or didn't do hasn't got much to do with what is being discussed.

It's a pretty big deal if all of this has gone and the fighter has gone out regardless.

I'd also say nobody is disputing what transpired in the ring.
It seems to me that you're the one arguing against your own argument. Your first, second and third sentences seem completely unconnected to one another. I suppose you were typing in a hurry.

Inter Yer Nan

It's probably a combination of nerves getting the best of him (if not a panic attack) and of course being caught with a shot he never recovered from. I think we've all known Joshua isn't the most durable guy and he has issues with fatigue. Ruiz is more than a competent pro too.

Joshua will get a chance to prove he's a better fighter in a re-match. My theory with Joshua not being as good as we thought/wanted. He went through hell and back with Klitshcko and at that point he was still developing. He'd had like 57 amateur fights, around 19 or 20 pro fights at that stage and was still developing. Hearn made him into a "two fights a year mega event" fighter too soon. He'd been boxing less than 10 years of his life and now you're putting him in mega events too soon and I'm sure he's not sparring year round. More like travelling the world and body building and sparring in training camp only (probably 12 weeks of sparring a year and two fights isn't enough - he's not had the sport drilled into him since he was a kid like a Lomachenko). The lack of sparring and action means he's not as prepared for getting punched and he's not sharpening his tools, strategies and working on different things. He probably needs some fresh ideas in the corner (too bad Manny Steward is no longer with us) and to fight more often and spar more often. He has very few ring smarts, just big and stiff and hope he bombs you out.

Inter Yer Nan

I heard that AJ got dropped and KO in sparring in the weeks leading up to the fight. One of them being by Abit Kabayel who has beat Derek Chisora in the past but is a European level fighter.

Rumours that he was not 100% going into the fight because of this and that he had a panic attack on the day of the fight. I don't quite believe the panic attack part, there's no way he would have lasted that long if he had a panic attack and he was looking ok before he got dropped.

Still all the talk is about the big 3. Joshua, Wilder and Fury, can anyone see Whyte upsetting the apple cart with a win over one of them. For me, Usyk could be the biggest threat. Obviously he would have to be wary of the power punches of AJ and Wilder but so does every other fighter. His speed and footwork would lead them both a merry dance and he would definitely outbox both of them. Maybe less so with Fury who would keep him at range and probably get a pts win. It's a shame he got injured in the build up to the Takam fight.
I've heard this in the past with Joshua. I think there was talk he was KO'd or hurt badly by Dubois before too and he, himself didn't deny that David Price had dropped him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It seems to me that you're the one arguing against your own argument. Your first, second and third sentences seem completely unconnected to one another. I suppose you were typing in a hurry.
I'm not making an argument in my reply to you, merely pointing a few things out. You inserted Ruiz as if he was being put down when nobody did any such thing. Joshua was soundly beaten; where was it said otherwise?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's probably a combination of nerves getting the best of him (if not a panic attack) and of course being caught with a shot he never recovered from. I think we've all known Joshua isn't the most durable guy and he has issues with fatigue. Ruiz is more than a competent pro too.

Joshua will get a chance to prove he's a better fighter in a re-match. My theory with Joshua not being as good as we thought/wanted. He went through hell and back with Klitshcko and at that point he was still developing. He'd had like 57 amateur fights, around 19 or 20 pro fights at that stage and was still developing. Hearn made him into a "two fights a year mega event" fighter too soon. He'd been boxing less than 10 years of his life and now you're putting him in mega events too soon and I'm sure he's not sparring year round. More like travelling the world and body building and sparring in training camp only (probably 12 weeks of sparring a year and two fights isn't enough - he's not had the sport drilled into him since he was a kid like a Lomachenko). The lack of sparring and action means he's not as prepared for getting punched and he's not sharpening his tools, strategies and working on different things. He probably needs some fresh ideas in the corner (too bad Manny Steward is no longer with us) and to fight more often and spar more often. He has very few ring smarts, just big and stiff and hope he bombs you out.
Think as you've said yourself, the amount of time he's had in the sport is going to be the hindrance to creating ring intelligence, generalship and nuance/cuteness. Also, with that kind of power, he doesn't really get to test many things out as once his hits start to land, the fight is generally his. That lack of stamina also means he's flagging far too soon to get to the nitty gritty and take himself or an opponent into deep waters.

I thought it really stood out in this fight that he's not encountered someone who can absorb his shots and fire back even harder than him - it really threw him and took away a lot of his own ideas for the fight. Most of the big shots that landed on him came from direct exchanges and retaliations, he lost nearly every brawl exchange, which is something completely new to his psyche. It was the perfect storm for Ruiz; really interesting to see what adjustments are made for the rematch.

Classical Mechanic

I've heard this in the past with Joshua. I think there was talk he was KO'd or hurt badly by Dubois before too and he, himself didn't deny that David Price had dropped him.
How common do you think it is that pro fighters get dropped/knocked out in sparring?

I trained at an amateur boxing club and saw a few get dropped and was dropped myself from a body shot to the liver.

Oggmonster

How common do you think it is that pro fighters get dropped/knocked out in sparring?

I trained at an amateur boxing club and saw a few get dropped and was dropped myself from a body shot to the liver.
I reckon it happens a lot more than it's let on. It's a weird brag when people do it as it doesn't really mean anything. Could be training different things that day the way they make out they're always having full on boxing matches 24/7 in sparring!

Just saw AJ lost, how did he let that happen? That guy he was fighting didn't even look like a boxer.

Inter Yer Nan

Knocked out? I'd say it's fairly uncommon at the top end but dropped/hurt etc; I'd say a fair bit. It's pretty common for elite fighters to get worked over by what you'd deem an inferior fighter.

Stuff I've heard fairly recently through rumors confirmed by trainers and insiders out of Las Vegas is Spence working over Mayweather, Spence having Broner KO'd on his feet and stopped the session, Crawford putting a whupping on Spence. There were plenty of stories way back that De La Hoya had been beaten up in sparring. In fact Edwin Valero got kicked out of camp for beating the snot out of him.

The most famous fighters I've seen sparring in their gyms was Ricky Hatton and Juan Manuel Marquez. Hatton was back in his gym in Hyde I think it was with Billy Graham as his trainer in 2007. Hatton was getting tagged so often in sparring by some African fighter, Sugar something he went by. I was surprised he was so easy to tag with the right and how lethargic he looked. I think Hatton was another fighter who was hurt from suddenly going from 4-5 fights, 12 months in the gym to 2 fights and only gym for training camps. Marquez was another story. He stayed in the gym all year around and he was absolutely incredible up close in the gym. You could just feel the Boxing IQ and marvel at his placement of shots. That was one of my favorite sports experiences; seeing Marquez sparring in Romanza gym, Mexico City. What a top bloke he is too!

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

I reckon it happens a lot more than it's let on. It's a weird brag when people do it as it doesn't really mean anything. Could be training different things that day the way they make out they're always having full on boxing matches 24/7 in sparring!
Yeah, it's sort of an unwritten rule that you don't go around telling sparring stories. Ryan Garcia is not welcome in a number of gyms out here because of that. Always running his mouth about who he beat up. He claimed he beat up Lomachenko and Lomachenko was asked and he said "Who?". Word I heard is that Lomachenko toyed with him which sounds like the truth. Khan was lying about sparring with Andre Ward too. Ward said, "No. That didn't happen".

El General 1994

I've drawn a line under the AJ fight now.

Looking forward to watching Oscar Valdez and GGG fighting over the weekend. Neither cards are being broadcast in the UK, however my friend called IPTV will save the day. It just means waking up at 2am.

Classical Mechanic

Knocked out? I'd say it's fairly uncommon at the top end but dropped/hurt etc; I'd say a fair bit. It's pretty common for elite fighters to get worked over by what you'd deem an inferior fighter.

Stuff I've heard fairly recently through rumors confirmed by trainers and insiders out of Las Vegas is Spence working over Mayweather, Spence having Broner KO'd on his feet and stopped the session, Crawford putting a whupping on Spence. There were plenty of stories way back that De La Hoya had been beaten up in sparring. In fact Edwin Valero got kicked out of camp for beating the snot out of him.

The most famous fighters I've seen sparring in their gyms was Ricky Hatton and Juan Manuel Marquez. Hatton was back in his gym in Hyde I think it was with Billy Graham as his trainer in 2007. Hatton was getting tagged so often in sparring by some African fighter, Sugar something he went by. I was surprised he was so easy to tag with the right and how lethargic he looked. I think Hatton was another fighter who was hurt from suddenly going from 4-5 fights, 12 months in the gym to 2 fights and only gym for training camps. Marquez was another story. He stayed in the gym all year around and he was absolutely incredible up close in the gym. You could just feel the Boxing IQ and marvel at his placement of shots. That was one of my favorite sports experiences; seeing Marquez sparring in Romanza gym, Mexico City. What a top bloke he is too!
Cheers. Interesting. I’ve only seen flash knockdowns at the gym I was at, never saw anyone really hurt.

I think it depends on where fighters are up to in their fitness and training. A unheralded fighter in great shape who has been sparring many rounds can work over a great fighter just getting into camp.

Definitely agree on Hatton, it was his addiction issues that started to overtake him when he had too much down time. I think that’s why James Toney always kept ultra active because any down time and he’d be eating like crazy.

Inter Yer Nan

Cheers. Interesting. I’ve only seen flash knockdowns at the gym I was at, never saw anyone really hurt.

I think it depends on where fighters are up to in their fitness and training. A unheralded fighter in great shape who has been sparring many rounds can work over a great fighter just getting into camp.

Definitely agree on Hatton, it was his addiction issues that started to overtake him when he had too much down time. I think that’s why James Toney always kept ultra active because any down time and he’d be eating like crazy.
Toney's training consisted mostly of sparring. He was a gym rat but in the latter parts of his career his training was something close to about 90% sparring. It's why his speech is bad now. Always getting hit in the head.

Inter Yer Nan

A bit of a change in topic but here's another recent Q & A I did with Marcel Jofre, who is the son of all-time great, Eder Jofre. Jofre is the oldest modern day boxer member of the Hall of Fame who's still alive.

Questions in bold.

I heard in 1973 for his fight with Legra, President Medici wanted to keep the two gloves of that fight. What happened to that?

It is true. It was a time of the military regime here in Brazil, and there was some pressure for my father to give the pair of gloves to the president. As my father had promised, if he became champion he would put the gloves in my grandmother's grave. It was a rather embarrassing situation and they proposed that he give up only one glove. So it was done, the other was covered in bronze and placed in the grave of my grandmother.

Why did the Jose Legra fight happen in Brasilia and the Vicente Saldivar fight happen in Salvador? Most of the major fights in Brazil happened in São Paulo?

These two fights occurred outside of São Paulo because there was a possibility of extra money with the TV broadcast, besides the commercial part that made extra money. I have heard from my father that he liked to fight outside of São Paulo as well, because he believed that the environment was a bit heavy (in São Paulo).

What was the best celebration in Brazil? The bantamweight championship with victory over Eloy Sanchez in 1960 or the featherweight championship victory over Legra in 1973?

Certainly the greatest was the first title, when he won the bantamweight title. It was really fantastic the welcome of the Brazilian people on my father's return from the USA.

Is it true that your father was on television frequently in Brazil after he retired?

After he stopped fighting, the schedule of appointments remained busy, with plenty of TV and newspapers, as well as commercials. He even participated in a TV show on Globo TV, the largest in Brazil, with questions and answers where the theme was Muhammad Ali.

Is it true that there was negotiation to fight in England? I heard there was negotiation for him to face Walter McGowan and Alan Rudkin?I think he would have been popular with the fans there.

Surely if he had fought in Europe, it would have been a success, but in the bantamweight class at the time, the majority of the opponents were Mexican and Japanese. At that time, Europe was sort of out of the loop. Maybe he had some negotiation for the fights against Rudkin and McGowan but I do not know.

I heard that it was discussed for him to rise and fight against the Sugar Ramos for featherweight championship in 1963 or 1964. Was that close to happening?

Again I'm not sure if there was contact for this fight, especially in regards to a weight class above. Maybe some conversation might have happened because my father was having problems getting down to the bantamweight limit.

What was his favorite foreign location where he had a fight? What was his favorite venue in Brazil?

I remember my father speaking fondly of having fought in the USA, in the Olympic Auditorium, which is now a church. My cousin Raphael Zumbano, who lives in Las Vegas the other day sent me pictures. Here in Brazil, São Paulo, more precisely Ginãsio do Ibirapuera was the place where he fought the most. He had good experiences in Porto Alegre, Salvador, and Brasilia also.

Is there any arena or city that he would have liked to have had the chance to fight, but the opportunity did not present itself?

I don’t believe he had frustration at not fighting elsewhere. I particularly wish he had fought at Madison Square Garden in New York

Does he still enjoy watching his old fights on youtube and dvd?

Whenever he has the opportunity, he likes to watch his fights and other fighters as well. That's for sure in his DNA. The passion for boxing is very much alive in him.

Do you often watch his fights on youtube or on DVD?
Whenever I can see yes, I also have the boxing virus in the veins. (laughs)

He fought many times and was always in great condition. Was he training all year long when he was an active fighter?

My father was always very responsible with his training and condition because he was aware that was the instrument for his fights. He always did his running in the morning and in the afternoon the technical part with my grandfather in the academy of São Paulo Futebol Clube. There were no magic tricks. My father was always an athlete very aware of his ability and no adversary put any fear in him. My father respected everyone equally, but always with the certainty of his mental condition focused to win.

Has he met some of his favorite boxers and famous fighters like Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Robinson?

I know he met Ali, when he was here in Brazil doing a performance at Ibirapuera in the 70's. At the meeting they exchanged compliments and the meeting was cool. He did not know Joe Louis personally but has a chain with a gold medal of St. Benedict that belonged to Louis. This medal was given to him by a famous Brazilian artist named Hebe Camargo who said she had an affair with Louis. He also met Sugar Ray Robinson at the time he fought for the bantamweight title in 1960. He never got to meet with Tyson.

I know he was a top politician in Sao Paulo. In what other ventures did he enter after his boxing career?

My father was a councilman for the city of São Paulo for 4 opportunities, for approximately 12 years. Before that he had a clothing company in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

What part of Argentina was your grandfather “Kid Jofre from?

My grandfather was from the Province of Central Rosario.

How many of his fights did you attend and which ones? What are your best memories of these fights?

Since I was 8, 9 years I have been following my father's fights very closely. Each fight was a sensational event for a child who had father that was a hero to many people. The best memories were being around relatives, especially my grandfather. Being close to the big boxing shows was a spectacular experience.

Have you ever tried to follow his footsteps and pursue boxing?

Honestly, I've never been much stimulated by him to pursue a boxing career. I think that because of so many difficulties he did not want the same for me.

Were you a big fan of Acelino Freitas? What other fighters were you a fan of?

Honestly and sincerely I was a fan of my father. The other fighters I had a certain appreciation for but none that glittered in my eyes. I wanted them to win because they were Brazilian.

Which of his fights are you most proud of?

I'm proud of all them (laughs). I think the fight that made him world champion at featherweight against Legrá. I was 10 years old and had more understanding of it which made it special. It was thrilling to see my champion father and also my grandfather's happiness.

How did you feel about the recent movie "10 segundos para vencer"? Did you like to enjoy the movie?

The film was a long project of about 10 years until it materialized. Here in Brazil, in sports all that matters is football (soccer) and making a movie about boxing was difficult. But it worked, and it was a great emotion to see the story of my family on the screen. This film later became a mini-series that appeared on TV Globo in 4 chapters.

G-manc

If you're referring to Jackson Osei Bonsu then that's the complete opposite to what i saw happen. Hatton absolutely flattened him when i saw them spar. Maybe it was a different session or Hatton was a bit sharper later in camp. Bonsu could really punch but had a reputation for being chinny.

I did hear on good authority that Hatton got hammered all over by Erislandy Lara in the build up to Pacquiao though.

cyberman

Turns out my cousin tried to pick a fight with Herring in the crowd last Sunday.
I like to think our side of the family inherited all the brains.

Inter Yer Nan

If you're referring to Jackson Osei Bonsu then that's the complete opposite to what i saw happen. Hatton absolutely flattened him when i saw them spar. Maybe it was a different session or Hatton was a bit sharper later in camp. Bonsu could really punch but had a reputation for being chinny.

I did hear on good authority that Hatton got hammered all over by Erislandy Lara in the build up to Pacquiao though.
Yeah, that's the guy. I wouldn't necessarily say he got the better of the session but that Hatton was very easy to hit and made to look below the level I'd seen in his fights. There were no knockdowns, it was a bunch of Hatton working to get inside and on top of him and having to eat a lot of counters just to do so. I'd estimate it was about a month out from the Jose Luis Castillo fight in June of 2007.

G-manc

Yeah, that's the guy. I wouldn't necessarily say he got the better of the session but that Hatton was very easy to hit and made to look below the level I'd seen in his fights. There were no knockdowns, it was a bunch of Hatton working to get inside and on top of him and having to eat a lot of counters just to do so. I'd estimate it was about a month out from the Jose Luis Castillo fight in June of 2007.
Ricky was always very left happy when he sparred - much like in his fights. I never thought he threw the right hand correctly but when i watched them he left Bonsu flat on his face with a short right hand which ended the session. I don't recall which training camp it was though.

A couple of sparring rumours i've heard - Hatton supposedly cracked one of Andy Holligan's ribs during a spar when he was a novice which Holligan took into his fight with Jimmy Neary. Steve Collins was sparked by Howard Eastman during sparring for the Calzaghe fight which is the real reason he withdrew (and then retired).

Inter Yer Nan

Ricky was always very left happy when he sparred - much like in his fights. I never thought he threw the right hand correctly but when i watched them he left Bonsu flat on his face with a short right hand which ended the session. I don't recall which training camp it was though.

A couple of sparring rumours i've heard - Hatton supposedly cracked one of Andy Holligan's ribs during a spar when he was a novice which Holligan took into his fight with Jimmy Neary. Steve Collins was sparked by Howard Eastman during sparring for the Calzaghe fight which is the real reason he withdrew (and then retired).
The Collins one makes sense. Collins knew he was going to get embarrassed against Calzaghe and wanted to bask in those wins over Benn and Eubank and act like he was the top of the pile. I love how agitated he got when all those fighters sat down and talked and Eubank put Collins on the spot about that one. Collins' "reasons" never seemed sincere IMO. Collins wanted to go out as the guy who beat Eubank and Benn and was "ducked" by Roy Jones. In reality he wasn't on the level of all of those guys.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
don't think i've seen a boxer look so happy after a defeat before
He's got a great pokerface.

If he was not 100%, then the question is why did he floor Ruiz first and avoid any damage until then? He got hit badly and didnt recover, I think that is the main reason he lost

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's got a great pokerface.

If he was not 100%, then the question is why did he floor Ruiz first and avoid any damage until then? He got hit badly and didnt recover, I think that is the main reason he lost
Going in concussed wouldn't necessarily mean he had no functionality, but, get hit in an already traumatised area and all sorts of things can go wrong, which is why anyone who has been concussed is not allowed to compete in contact sports of any type until cleared to do so irrespective of their protestations of being fine.

Some claim Joshua has a 'soft' head now and can't take a punch off the the back of this bout, but that's not at all fair if he did indeed go in there when he shouldn't have.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Going in concussed wouldn't necessarily mean he had no functionality, but, get hit in an already traumatised area and all sorts of things can go wrong, which is why anyone who has been concussed is not allowed to compete in contact sports of any type until cleared to do so irrespective of their protestations of being fine.

Some claim Joshua has a 'soft' head now and can't take a punch off the the back of this bout, but that's not at all fair if he did indeed go in there when he shouldn't have.
He just said on camera that there was no issue and he had no panic attack. We will probably never find out, but I find it odd that he can box and suddenly struggles. IMO, it had more to do with Ruiz and that AJ has been overconfident (if not arrogant) for a while

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He just said on camera that there was no issue and he had no panic attack. We will probably never find out, but I find it odd that he can box and suddenly struggles. IMO, it had more to do with Ruiz and that AJ has been overconfident (if not arrogant) for a while
He's been totally gracious and offered no excuses at all in defeat, but that's not the issue - if what's rumoured has gone, it can't just be dismissed as it is a big deal and would reflect terribly on all who were complicit. We may find out some years down the road, or maybe not. The L is there now and that's that, really.

There's validity to Joshua not looking himself, for me, the whole time he appeared off. That could be due to a myriad of things, of course, but still, everything seemed weird about the night.

Inter Yer Nan

Sometimes boxers just lose. Better fighters than Joshua have been KO'd. Joshua went in for the kill and get caught and never recovered. I think there's too much thinking going on trying to justify it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sometimes boxers just lose. Better fighters than Joshua have been KO'd. Joshua went in for the kill and get caught and never recovered. I think there's too much thinking going on trying to justify it.
Although I think it's likely Joshua was simply beaten by the better man on the night, I wouldn't say it was out of the question something wasn't quite right. People were calling it before the first bell, and you must admit, he looked very under par, irrespective of how well Ruiz boxed.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He's been totally gracious and offered no excuses at all in defeat, but that's not the issue - if what's rumoured has gone, it can't just be dismissed as it is a big deal and would reflect terribly on all who were complicit. We may find out some years down the road, or maybe not. The L is there now and that's that, really.

There's validity to Joshua not looking himself, for me, the whole time he appeared off. That could be due to a myriad of things, of course, but still, everything seemed weird about the night.
What was rumoured? Please pm me if not suitable for the forum

Inter Yer Nan

Although I think it's likely Joshua was simply beaten by the better man on the night, I wouldn't say it was out of the question something wasn't quite right. People were calling it before the first bell, and you must admit, he looked very under par, irrespective of how well Ruiz boxed.
Could also be a case of having trouble outside of his comfort zone. U.S & U.K fighters are often the A side coming up so tend not to go overseas as much. In the U.S fighters case, almost never, especially against top opponents. Hamed was never the same away from home, Hatton was vastly different away, even Calzaghe had some nervy moments. Fury is an exception as he went away and schooled Wladimir and Wilder against the odds but his personality is very different than Joshua's. He loves that role.

thepolice123

I think the pressure of an early knockdown got into him, seeing how Wilder destroyed Breazeale. After the knockdown of Ruiz, he rushed in for the kill and Ruiz lit him up. These Mexicans have granite chins and recuperate quickly. You need more than a punch like that to keep them out.

Always Up

I think the pressure of an early knockdown got into him, seeing how Wilder destroyed Breazeale. After the knockdown of Ruiz, he rushed in for the kill and Ruiz lit him up. These Mexicans have granite chins and recuperate quickly. You need more than a punch like that to keep them out.
McCracken told AJ no to get into exchanges with him like that but I don't remember if it was said before the 3rd round.
---------------
The same advice but a bit more blunt.:lol:

Kazi

The most telling image from the fight was when Joshua dropped Ruiz. And all you could see was pure determination on Ruiz’s face while he was lying on the floor.

Kazi

Golovkin thinks Joshua lost because he wasn’t able to juice properly like he does in the UK.

I much prefer heel Golovkin.