The RedCafe Boxing Thread

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The ear drum situation seems pretty serious. It wouldn't make sense for him to fight again for some time until its been resolved (which apparently takes a very long time).
Oh really? I have no idea how long the recovery time is for it. Yeah it didn’t look good at all, there’s something grim about seeing blood coming out of the ear like that, made me feel a bit queasy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, yes Wilder was outclassed but we already knew that before this fight. Fact of the matter is the fight lasted 3 rounds - Fury landed the perfect shot and that was that

Drawing conclusions on wilder based on this fight, or even how a third fight would go, seems a bit disingenous. And yes, i would expect Fury to beat him again if they make a 3rd fight. But i don't think what happened yesterday is particularly replicable, either

I also don't think there's a need for a third fight anytime soon. Fury should fight AJ next

Kazi

The most impressive thing is that Fury has beaten two long-reigning champs in completely different manners - Wlad on the outside and Wilder on the inside.

Assume he’ll go back to the outside vs Joshua and win most rounds.

RedFish

I think Fury has done plenty in his career to prove himself as the best current HW. He definitely doesn’t have much knock out power though, but we’ve always known this. He’s favourite against Joshua because he has more variability and is much more competent in his movement and defense.

That said, a demolishing of Wilder isn’t as impressive as the hype train would make one believe. Joshua has fought 6 fights against top ten fighters, winning 5. In about 23 fights. Wilder has fought none in 40 odd bouts, until he got pulverised by Fury.

Fury is a favourite against Joshua, considerably so. But mainly because there are serious question marks over Joshua’s head. Not because Fury is some amazing boxer. He’s just the best there is right now. Which isn’t saying much.
An AJ Fury showdown is infinitely more intriguing now AJ has come back from his Ruuz nightmare. Always felt AJ was undercooked in terms of miles clocked as a professional. That loss will have been more valuable le to him than any of his wins IMHO.

Fury is clear no 1. I've said many times in this thread that he would heavy favourite against AJ. Not backtracking from that, but a matchup with AJ now is different
to the one a year or so ago.

Utdstar01

Wilder is rubbish. I'd fancy Whyte to do him let alone AJ. The division is in need of some new blood though. Hopefully Usyk can make it interesting.

padzilla

Hipster
Boxing suffers from fighters and their promoters being able to choose who they face to a degree. Could you imagine United not playing Liverpool for years? Best thing could happen is the belts get unified to stop people using excuses to duck fights.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't get why so many people buy into this ridiculous narrative. He made offers to both fighters and they were rejected due to the split. At that moment in time Joshua was undefeated, was a significantly bigger pull and had all but one belt. He deserved the lions share of the purse because he was bringing a hell of a lot more to the table. Yet somehow, Fury and Wilder rejecting the offers was Joshua being a chicken? Because he wouldn't lower his demands? But Fury's demands of a 50/50 split when he had no belts and pulled in smaller crowds was fine? You jump at the opportunity for a title shot like that. If anything, making demands like that seems more like ducking than anything AJ did.

Joshua is very keen on the fight and would probably take a 50/50 now.
Well, we'll see how brave and keen AJ is to take on the fight soon. Fury will be his first ever world class fighter in his prime that he'll have ever faced. Not a 40 year old end of career Klitschko.

It should be mid summer, but I bet AJ and his camp will make every excuse under the sun to delay, and fit in dead rubbers in between.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Biggest heavyweight fight in decades apparently and what we get is two drunks hugging each other for 7 rounds until the ref got bored.

I'm guessing the shot to the ear fecked up Wilder's balance because otherwise that's one of the worst fights I've ever seen.

Fury wasn't even defending himself for the last few rounds. Just going for the knockout punch over and over but missing every time and not even getting his aim or range before trying again.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Love reading through all the reactions of last night and relive everything again. First time in his career Fury was in true top physical shape and able to optimize his real potential as a boxer at the highest level I'd say. Better late than never, because my word he's something unique when he's in prime shape.

Against Klitschko the fight was delayed for a few weeks which helped Fury lose a little more weight and he looked in good shape, but he's said afterwards the nutritional plan and preparations weren't optimal at all, and they did basically everything wrong and got lucky that Vlad picked up an injury.

First fight against Wilder he was much lighter and had been in truly terrible shape the year before, coking and ballooning up like crazy, there's no way a man can deliver a prime athletic performance after being so out of shape for so long.

Now he's been in good fighting shape for over a year, kept busy constantly without ballooning. Despite carrying much more weight than in the first Wilder fight, he was as fit as ever and that's just deadly. His dad was giving interviews last month telling Tyson's punches have more impact at this weight and it seems he's right/

I could well be wrong as I don't watch much boxing but Fury looked like a clubber with terrible technique in this fight. When I've watched Joshua his technique looked much better.
Fury's actually a technically brilliant boxer who relies on ridiculous movement, faints and twitches combined with very unorthodox jabs. Despite being one of the tallest and heaviest guys in the division, he's not really got that classic aggresive power puncher style at all you'd maybe associate with heavyweight champs or a boxer called Tyson. I would say Fury's more of an extremely weird unique/unorthodox genius type of boxer, he can switch it up so fast at any time and just relies on his technique and anticipation to absolutely toy with opponents.

At times it almost seems like he's defying the laws of gravity, watch a 6 foot 9 man weighing over 250 lbs move around like he does, throwing and ducking the punches in that way, it almost seems unreal.

Here some highlights from the first Wilder - Fury match, you'll get an idea what his style of boxing is about.

Irrational.

Where next for Wilder?

Personally would like to see him fight Whyte. Would be a great match-up, with the winner fighting the winner of Joshua-Fury.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Biggest heavyweight fight in decades apparently and what we get is two drunks hugging each other for 7 rounds until the ref got bored.

I'm guessing the shot to the ear fecked up Wilder's balance because otherwise that's one of the worst fights I've ever seen.
I'm guessing you haven't seen Joshua vs Ruiz 2 couple of months ago.

Personally I thought this one was really good. It was one-sided but good.

Eire Red United

Boxing suffers from fighters and their promoters being able to choose who they face to a degree. Could you imagine United not playing Liverpool for years? Best thing could happen is the belts get unified to stop people using excuses to duck fights.
Definitely. Also ridiculous that Joshua is considered world champ. He’s not in Furys league.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well, we'll see how brave and keen AJ is to take on the fight soon. Fury will be his first ever world class fighter in his prime that he'll have ever faced. Not a 40 year old end of career Klitschko.

It should be mid summer, but I bet AJ and his camp will make every excuse under the sun to delay, and fit in dead rubbers in between.
And how is that any different to Fury? Unless you're including Wilder as a 'world class fighter.'

As I said, he literally offered Fury the chance to fight and Fury, not AJ, Fury turned it down. That's some mighty fine mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion AJ is the one that's been doing the ducking.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I can actually see Joshua Fury being a trilogy. It certainly wont be a one off, unless Tyson calls it a day.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Where next for Wilder?

Personally would like to see him fight Whyte. Would be a great match-up, with the winner fighting the winner of Joshua-Fury.
He might never be the same to be honest. That was a massive beating and bleeding from the ear for 5 rounds isn’t great.

He is 35 now and has massively overachieved when you consider his actually boxing ability. A hammer of a right hand taking him all the way to the top.

It will be interesting to see, because no one can fault his heart. He couldn’t stand after round 2.

His box office value will have taken an even bigger hit than he has. Maybe he will walk away with the money.

MalcolmTucker

Nothing more tedious than edgelords coming in and moaning about how boring a title fight is..

Two giant men, one of whom can knock you out at any moment with a single punch, putting their lives and belts on the line punching each other in the face.

Even if the fights aren't full on wars or the highest quality, what's at stake surely makes it exciting unless you're some sort of emotional husk.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He might never be the same to be honest. That was a massive beating and bleeding from the ear for 5 rounds isn’t great.

He is 35 now and has massively overachieved when you consider his actually boxing ability. A hammer of a right hand taking him all the way to the top.

It will be interesting to see, because no one can fault his heart. He couldn’t stand after round 2.

His box office value will have taken an even bigger hit than he has. Maybe he will walk away with the money.
ah the redcafe way of counting age. Usually only happens during football discussions. I couldn’t resist. 34. It’s not even a case of his birthday being next month which would make it understandable, his birthday is in october.

Maluco

ah the redcafe way of counting age. Usually only happens during football discussions. I couldn’t resist. 34. It’s not even a case of his birthday being next month which would make it understandable, his birthday is in october.
Ok, so, he will potentially be 35 by the time he fights again. Is that better? Does it change the point? I don’t think it does.

This isn’t the CAF saying a 27 year old is nearly 30.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm just interested if Fury just landed the perfect shot or if he carries real KO power at that weight and in that shape. Because if it's the latter the division is closed until he either grows old or calls it a day. Nobody's touching Fury in that division if he carries real power

RedFish

I'm just interested if Fury just landed the perfect shot or if he carries real KO power at that weight and in that shape. Because if it's the latter the division is closed until he either grows old or calls it a day. Nobody's touching Fury in that division if he carries real power
Fury carries no power, no matter how he might spin it. He never has, and never will. You can't just develop power from putting on muscle. If he had power he would have finished Wilder several rounds before his corner threw the towel in.

Inter Yer Nan

Wilder can’t take a punch. Fury will never be a puncher.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

To the top? A paper champion if ever I’ve seen one. The guy has never fought a top ten fighter in his life until he fought Fury. He’s ducked every top fighter in the division. His top ranked fight until he fought Fury was against a 40 year old Ortiz ranked 12. Fights he was losing until his big right got him out of trouble.

I’d say he’s overachieved too, if he’d ever fought anyone of any quality at all, like ever. As soon as he did, he got fecking battered. Wilder was always just a total hype train of YouTube highlights of him knocking out bums. There’s a reason Mike Tyson called him out a couple of months ago and said he couldn’t be taken seriously.

His much heralded record was just meaningless. Wilder will struggle to beat anyone in the top ten.

Maluco

To the top? A paper champion if ever I’ve seen one. The guy has never fought a top ten fighter in his life until he fought Fury. He’s ducked every top fighter in the division. His top ranked fight until he fought Fury was against a 40 year old Ortiz ranked 12. Fights he was losing until his big right got him out of trouble.

I’d say he’s overachieved too, if he’d ever fought anyone of any quality at all, like ever. As soon as he did, he got fecking battered. Wilder was always just a total hype train of YouTube highlights of him knocking out bums. There’s a reason Mike Tyson called him out a couple of months ago and said he couldn’t be taken seriously.

His much heralded record was just meaningless. Wilder will struggle to beat anyone in the top ten.
By “the top”, I meant the top of his profession, ie a world champion. I agree with you totally about his ability.

He is extremely limited as a boxer, but what I meant was, he has overachieved massively when you consider his talent and compare it to the career he has made in boxing.

Even with the division of titles, there have been great fighters in the past that never win a world title. He just got paid a purse of 4 million dollars for a title fight. He has a net worth of approximately 30 million dollars and he can’t really box!

That’s what I meant by overachieving.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
By “the top”, I meant the top of his profession, ie a world champion. I agree with you totally about his ability.

He is extremely limited as a boxer, but what I meant was, he has overachieved massively when you consider his talent and compare it to the career he has made in boxing.

Even with the division of titles, there have been great fighters in the past that never win a world title. He just got paid a purse of 4 million dollars for a title fight. He has a net worth of approximately 30 million dollars and he can’t really box!

That’s what I meant by overachieving.
He got paid 25m from last night. Crazy. His record is a total fraud though. Same number of consecutive title defences as Ali. Again, a joke because he fought nobodies. This guy has ducked every good fighter in the division throughout his entire career. 40 odd fights against people outside the top ten, not a single one in it. He has zero credibility as a, now ex, champion. First fight against a decent fighter he lost - even though they gifted him a draw. And that was against a guy who had been out with addiction problems for 2.5 years. Then he got pulverised by the same guy.

Even after the humiliation of yesterday people are still tanking him at #3. Which is nuts. He needs to fight Whyte and Parker and a few others to gain any basis to be considered a top ten fighter himself.

People talk shit about AJ but the guy has fought 5 top ten fighters already in his only 23 fights, and beaten them all. People say AJ ducks but his record suggests otherwise. He’ll fight Fury in a unification bout too, which will be a good fight. Assuming Wilder doesn’t execute his immediate rematch clause and make us all sit through another beating. It was hilarious yesterday watching Wilder desperately trying to land these wild, telegraphed rights, because it’s the only thing he can do. He never even came close. He did it to the point of parody.

Maluco

He got paid 25m from last night. Crazy. His record is a total fraud though. Same number of consecutive title defences as Ali. Again, a joke because he fought nobodies. This guy has ducked every good fighter in the division throughout his entire career. 40 odd fights against people outside the top ten, not a single one in it. He has zero credibility as a, now ex, champion. First fight against a decent fighter he lost - even though they gifted him a draw. And that was against a guy who had been out with addiction problems for 2.5 years. Then he got pulverised by the same guy.

Even after the humiliation of yesterday people are still tanking him at #3. Which is nuts. He needs to fight Whyte and Parker and a few others to gain any basis to be considered a top ten fighter himself.

People talk shit about AJ but the guy has fought 5 top ten fighters already in his only 23 fights, and beaten them all. People say AJ ducks but his record suggests otherwise. He’ll fight Fury in a unification bout too, which will be a good fight. Assuming Wilder doesn’t execute his immediate rematch clause and make us all sit through another beating. It was hilarious yesterday watching Wilder desperately trying to land these wild, telegraphed rights, because it’s the only thing he can do. He never even came close. He did it to the point of parody.
Thats why I’m wondering if he will walk away. As you say, he has to fight someone decent on the comeback, and I think he looked scared last night.

I think he might take his money and call it a day.