The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Verbalkint

Joshua made a meal of Klitschko. He was stealing a living at the top for a few years, I remember Del Boy giving him a good fight but we just didn't have the right guys in there to finally put us out of our misery and end the dark days where he ruled HW. Then Tyson absolutely schooled him and suddenly people knew he was done. I never in a million years thought AJ would get dragged into the trenches against that Vlad, but there you go. I'm not giving him any props for that.
You got the wrong Klitschko, mate. Del boy fought Vitali.

pauldyson1uk

First time I have seen the fight, I am not a huge fan of Fury, some of his past fights have been poor and I thought this was going the same way.
Fury looks fat, Wilder looked the better for the first couple of rounds, but the extra weight Fury was holding paid off and he took over and fought the fight he said he would.
The knock down punch was excellent, hurt him, Fury took over for me after that, in the end I was very impressed with Fury.
Fury v AJ next, should be a good fight and I think he could do the same to AJ what he did to Wilder
Fury is never going to be held in the same class has the heavyweight greats for me, but he is a good technical fighter, decent speed and a decent punch.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

All you have to do is look at Wilder's record and see how many absolute nobodies he faced to pad out his record, it's hilarious what a hypetrain can do.
True, it was a weak division for years though and he took advantage. His win over Ortiz (twice) is impressive though, especially as Oritz is one of them high risk low rewards kind of fight. He equally did well to get as far as he did with not much talent. I don't think he'll retire or anything but I don't think he takes the rematch either, think he'll probably try and build himself up and then we get Fury 3 or Joshua.

Not sure what's next for Fury, he will want AJ but I still don't think Hearn wants that fight to happen yet he will milk AJ out for another couple Saudi fights first and come up with his usual excuses as to why the fight can't happen yet. I think the narrative on AJ and Fury has switched which doesn't help them. Fury is probably the more liked of the 2 by the general public now.

Oggmonster

Who's faced harder opponents between AJ and Fury?
Joshua probably. In fairness though Fury's initial rise to the top the division was a lot weaker and you can only beat what's in front of you. All of AJ's more impressive wins come after the Fury vs. Wlad fight when Fury was inactive for 3 years. That's neither of their fault the division has just got stronger which is obviously good for the sport.

Now that Fury is the champion he will have to either fight Wilder, Joshua or Whyte which is a far more impressive selection of fighters than he'd of got linked with in 2015 after beating Wlad.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
What happened to Wilder the other night would’ve happened years ago had he ever fought credible opponents. He was consistently outboxed by D level fighters until he landed the big shot and then boom, it’s over.

Taking Fury first time around was a cherry pick gone horribly wrong, he and his team genuinely thought Fury had no chance, hence them taking the fight. A 70% Fury outboxed Wilder for 12 rounds but the men at the top made sure Wilder held onto that belt. Second fight was a mauling that he’s had coming for years, credit to him though for forging a career and earning some big cash. AJ is somewhere in between Wilder and Fury, a decent boxer with decent power but Fury does him no problem. As long as he wants it, nobody is beating Fury anytime soon.

Inter Yer Nan

All you have to do is look at Wilder's record and see how many absolute nobodies he faced to pad out his record, it's hilarious what a hypetrain can do.
Yes, one of the most overhyped boxers in history. I troll his fans big time and am having a field day. It was always hilarious how defensive and emotional they are when you say something bad about him. Can't criticize his opposition, his resume, his skills, his ducking the Joshua fight etc;

Inter Yer Nan

What happened to Wilder the other night would’ve happened years ago had he ever fought credible opponents. He was consistently outboxed by D level fighters until he landed the big shot and then boom, it’s over.

Taking Fury first time around was a cherry pick gone horribly wrong, he and his team genuinely thought Fury had no chance, hence them taking the fight. A 70% Fury outboxed Wilder for 12 rounds but the men at the top made sure Wilder held onto that belt. Second fight was a mauling that he’s had coming for years, credit to him though for forging a career and earning some big cash. AJ is somewhere in between Wilder and Fury, a decent boxer with decent power but Fury does him no problem. As long as he wants it, nobody is beating Fury anytime soon.
The bold is very true. They thought Fury was done and they'd get him before he could even get into his comeback and it backfired. Also I think they felt because Fury can't punch they'd be ok whereas I think he's always been scared of punchers. Wanted nothing to do with Wladimir and Joshua they used his name just to get a following.

Inter Yer Nan

Who's faced harder opponents between AJ and Fury?
Joshua has more depth to his resume but you'd have to say Fury's top two wins are better. I think Fury is the superior fighter and if they retired today would rank higher on the all-time list. The edge being the two huge wins and the fact Joshua was beaten up in his prime where Fury has won every fight and dominated his best opponents.

I like both fighters. Hopefully they fight one day. It's too big a fight/event to miss out on.

Inter Yer Nan

Where next for Wilder?

Personally would like to see him fight Whyte. Would be a great match-up, with the winner fighting the winner of Joshua-Fury.
He has a contracted re-match if he wants it. From a sporting standpoint it's not worth it as he'll be crushed again and probably finished BUT if he turns it down, he'll lose even more fans (he seems to have lost a lot because he lost too which is pathetic) and have no leverage. He's guaranteed $20m in a re-match and a joint PPV, so his promoter won't pass on that as they are clearly the B side and nobody owes them anything. Joshua ain't gonna come back with that big offer now he has nothing.

He'll fight Fury again and get thumped again and from there? My guess is he'll be ruined and probably lose to a fringe contender or just retire. I'd like to see him fight Ruiz. I think Ruiz has the inside game and Wilder has no infighting skills, chin or stamina so Ruiz would bust him up provided Wilder doesn't land a clean hail mary shot he can't recover from.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Joshua has more depth to his resume but you'd have to say Fury's top two wins are better. I think Fury is the superior fighter and if they retired today would rank higher on the all-time list. The edge being the two huge wins and the fact Joshua was beaten up in his prime where Fury has won every fight and dominated his best opponents.

I like both fighters. Hopefully they fight one day. It's too big a fight/event to miss out on.
An on the nose assessment. The outcome of the Joshua - Fury fight will depend on how Fury fights imo. If he maintains that aggressive style, I think Joshua is going to hurt him. Joshua is a much better boxer than Wilder and he’s going to take advantage of those openings. I also have serious doubts about Fury’s power. But if he reverts to type, I see a probable, and straight forward points victory.

Judas

Open to offers
The bold is very true. They thought Fury was done and they'd get him before he could even get into his comeback and it backfired. Also I think they felt because Fury can't punch they'd be ok whereas I think he's always been scared of punchers. Wanted nothing to do with Wladimir and Joshua they used his name just to get a following.
This is massively true, he only really started getting any sort of traction and attention over here once him and his people starting talking up a fight with Joshua, no one (rightfully) really outside of the US bubble gave a damn about him.

Inter Yer Nan

An on the nose assessment. The outcome of the Joshua - Fury fight will depend on how Fury fights imo. If he maintains that aggressive style, I think Joshua is going to hurt him. Joshua is a much better boxer than Wilder and he’s going to take advantage of those openings. I also have serious doubts about Fury’s power. But if he reverts to type, I see a probable, and straight forward points victory.
Fury is such an intelligent fighter he'll know Joshua is good on the inside, can throw great uppercuts, hooks so he'll box and move to a decision. Joshua's slow feet, limited head movement, iffy stamina suit Fury down to the ground. I was impressed with a "smaller" Joshua last time out though. He'd have to try to get in Fury's face from round one though so hard to gauge from the Ruiz fights.

Inter Yer Nan

Apparently before the fight Wilder's missus posted online that her husband is "going to catch a body soon", as in kill a man. He really does talk and think like that. She's since deleted it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Apparently before the fight Wilder's missus posted online that her husband is "going to catch a body soon", as in kill a man. He really does talk and think like that. She's since deleted it.
I thought he looked nervous as feck before the fight, nevermind during it where he just got battered. All the ‘want a body on the record’ stuff is pure shite, he’s no psychopath at all.

cyberman

Ref annoyed the feck out of me. There was a time he told them to break, fight out and break again in the space of 5 seconds. How are you supposed to know what to do?

lsd

The Oracle
Congrats to Fury he is without doubt the best heavyweight out there and deserves all the acclaim he gets also seems a really sound guy as well

I don't see anyone beating him anytime soon . Wilder will probably take up the rematch but will surely lose again . Ruiz wouldn't get close to him .

AJ we will never know as he will keep saying he wants the fight but instead continue to fight Cruiserweights and Dillon Whyte for the next few years

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Fury is such an intelligent fighter he'll know Joshua is good on the inside, can throw great uppercuts, hooks so he'll box and move to a decision. Joshua's slow feet, limited head movement, iffy stamina suit Fury down to the ground. I was impressed with a "smaller" Joshua last time out though. He'd have to try to get in Fury's face from round one though so hard to gauge from the Ruiz fights.
Agreed. Joshua has at least shown the capacity to adapt. Which is encouraging for the prospects of a good fight. I feel the stamina concerns were legitimate earlier in his career but we’ve seen him go the distance a few times now and he seems to have largely ameliorated that issue. Coming in lighter certainly helps. It’s a fight the division needs to happen. Fairly certain Wilder will exercise his clause though, because there’s no where else for him to go.

Giggs86

I thought he looked nervous as feck before the fight, nevermind during it where he just got battered. All the ‘want a body on the record’ stuff is pure shite, he’s no psychopath at all.
He does have some anger issues though...

Revan

Assumptionman
He has a contracted re-match if he wants it. From a sporting standpoint it's not worth it as he'll be crushed again and probably finished BUT if he turns it down, he'll lose even more fans (he seems to have lost a lot because he lost too which is pathetic) and have no leverage. He's guaranteed $20m in a re-match and a joint PPV, so his promoter won't pass on that as they are clearly the B side and nobody owes them anything. Joshua ain't gonna come back with that big offer now he has nothing.

He'll fight Fury again and get thumped again and from there? My guess is he'll be ruined and probably lose to a fringe contender or just retire. I'd like to see him fight Ruiz. I think Ruiz has the inside game and Wilder has no infighting skills, chin or stamina so Ruiz would bust him up provided Wilder doesn't land a clean hail mary shot he can't recover from.
He will get more money from that Fury fight, than what he will get for the rest of his career. He is 34 and has said many times that he does boxing in order to provide for his family (especially with his daughter having a birth defect and needing extra medical care). The right thing for him is to earn another 20m from that fight, and then retire. He has already overachieved in boxing, and from now on, it is gonna be only down.

Revan

Assumptionman
From some of his interviews, he looks alright, and actually a decent guy. His 'wanting a body' is the equivalent of Mike Tyson's 'I will eat your children', just trying to be a bad man cause bad men sell fights.

lsd

The Oracle
Apparently Fury has given his entire 9 million purse to helping the homeless which is an amazing gesture. How can anyone not root for him ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Didn't realize Wilder had a rematch clause. Seems like a no brainer for him since not taking it would set him back a year or two in terms of getting another shot at a belt.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Apparently Fury has given his entire 9 million purse to helping the homeless which is an amazing gesture. How can anyone not root for him ?
Wow. Is this true?

He has had his last 4 fights in America, I thought it was to make as much money as possible. If it was for this purpose and not his personal wealth then that is immense.

I do worry for the guy. He's on a high right now but potentially over 50% of his life will consist of looking back, reminiscing, thinking about what used to be. I really hope he can handle it.

Inter Yer Nan

He did that after the last Wilder fight. This fight he made a guaranteed $25m plus PPV upside so I think he'll crack $30m for this one as it seems to have sold well. I believe the six fight deal with ESPN/Top Rank guarantees him $100m plus PPV % upside. It is why I don't think he'll fight Joshua within the next three fights and then once the contract is up he'll be able to command $50m or more for that one fight.

He seems to be a really good guy. Has said and done stupid things in the past and has turned it around. It's very hard not to admire the man.

saivet

Certainly won't bother waking up for the third fight. Wilder getting mocked for mentioning the costume on twitter :lol:

pascell

If I was Wilder I'd fight Whyte who he has beef with, would be something to use in the build up to sell the fight. Get past him then fight the winner out of Fury and AJ.

This 3rd fight would make no sense, there's nothing to say in the build up that would make people back Wilder. Plus he needs to take time out to let his injury heal, not worth risking his health over a 3rd fight.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
If I was Wilder I'd fight Whyte who he has beef with, would be something to use in the build up to sell the fight. Get past him then fight the winner out of Fury and AJ.

This 3rd fight would make no sense, there's nothing to say in the build up that would make people back Wilder. Plus he needs to take time out to let his injury heal, not worth risking his health over a 3rd fight.
He’d lose to Whyte, just like he’ll lose to Fury. Both are career enders but one pays a lot more than the other. He’s got nowhere to go except to Fury. He’s ridden the hype train hi entire career. Can’t duck anymore. Given how shit he really is, he needs to maximise his pay days. Most top ten fighters are beating this scrub.

Bojan11

Wow. Is this true?

He has had his last 4 fights in America, I thought it was to make as much money as possible. If it was for this purpose and not his personal wealth then that is immense.

I do worry for the guy. He's on a high right now but potentially over 50% of his life will consist of looking back, reminiscing, thinking about what used to be. I really hope he can handle it.
He made £12m from WWE also.

Also Wilder needs to feck off. When a fight is one sided like that then there really does not need to be a rematch. Wilder should have to work his way up again.