The RedCafe Boxing Thread

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Who was he supposed to fight?
Also, AJ needs fights. 23 is a very low number when you think about it. Compare his experience to that of someone like Dillian Whyte, you can't really know your game without testing yourself in different ways.

OverratedOpinion

Sorry disagree completely. Didn't look robotic against Lewis before the fight was stopped for a cut.
Lewis despite being great, also looked Robotic compared to Fury. Especially at that age.

I completely agree that Fury is almost the worst possible opponent for Vitali and Wlad and would really struggle to see what either would have for him.

Classical Mechanic

Lewis was co-commentating on the ESPN coverage and I found him, for want of a better word, ‘odd’. He wasn’t very articulate at all, which was surprising considering his standing in the game. Andre Ward was much better in co-commentary, I found.
Lewis has always been a bit like that. I think it’s one of the reasons the British fans never took to him, he was a bit precious I think. Ward, in contrast, has always been intelligent, slick and made for TV.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I can’t see how AJ would have any answer for the battering he would get with Tyson in that sort of form. It could get real ugly. I was astonished Wilder was able to stay on his feet from round 2, we all saw what happened when AJ got caught by that Ruiz punch. Would be over inside 4 rounds.
Joshua is a significantly better boxer than Wilder - and Wilder was also particularly poor last night, brought nothing of a game plan and then had his ear / balance messed up.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Absolute demolition job.

Wilder’s goose is cooked now. As others have said, he’s not an attractive opponent without the belt, so what’s the point in getting in the ring with him and risking getting ironed out with a big right?

I personally have no interest in seeing Wilder and Fury go at it again – the gulf between the two is huge.

Joshua won’t be able to live with Fury and not sure if there’s even the global interest to make it a massive money spinner.

Classical Mechanic

I’d agree with pretty much all of that. I still find it weird how AJ gets battered by people saying he ducks fights. In reality, like you said, he’s fought far tougher fighters in a shorter space of time. Probably too short. He definitely could have done with more time in the ring.
It is odd. Admittedly I’m an AJ fan over Fury but now accept that Fury is favourite in a fight between the two. That said AJ’s resume is pretty incredible for 23 fights and the narrative that he’s fighting bums is bizarre. Especially when used to compare him unfavourably to Fury and Wilder who had garbage resumes at the same point in their careers.

thepolice123

Has it been confirmed that its a busted eardrum yet? From what I have been reading it was a cut inside the ear canal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Few points;

1) Great win for Fury and well deserved. Showed he can be versatile and adapt his game.

2) I see no value in seeing number 3. Fury has won both fights, with this being so one sided it's pointless. The same way there would be no point seeing Ruiz-AJ again.

3) For those saying the heavyweight division is rubbish what planet are you on. It's the strongest and most competitive it's been for years and you have a mixture of high quality boxers with varying styles.

4) I'd like to see Wilder-Whyte. Think that would be fun and you could use it as a kind of pre cursor for the next title contender. Ruiz-Ortiz would also be interesting.

5) AJ-Fury has to happen. Chance to unify the division for the first time since Lennox Lewis. Wembley arena.

6) All the heavyweight titles in Britain. What a time to be British. Makes you proud.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why does it always take so long in boxing for the very best to fight each other?

Forget Wilder. Fury is 31 and Joshua is 30, how have they not fought each other yet?

It is odd. Admittedly I’m an AJ fan over Fury but now accept that Fury is favourite in a fight between the two. That said AJ’s resume is pretty incredible for 23 fights and the narrative that he’s fighting bums is bizarre. Especially when used to compare him unfavourably to Fury and Wilder who had garbage resumes at the same point in their careers.
AJ’s resume of opponents for a man who’s fought just 23 times is absolutely incredible, it’s why it makes no sense whatsoever when posters like sammsky make out like he’s been taking easy options.

Why does it always take so long in boxing for the very best to fight each other?

Forget Wilder. Fury is 31 and Joshua is 30, how have they not fought each other yet?
This one actually makes sense, Fury vanished for 3 years just as AJ got up to the required level to have a bout with him. Since the comeback it’s all been about Wilder for Fury.
Now, they have to fight.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Absolute demolition job.

Wilder’s goose is cooked now. As others have said, he’s not an attractive opponent without the belt, so what’s the point in getting in the ring with him and risking getting ironed out with a big right?

I personally have no interest in seeing Wilder and Fury go at it again – the gulf between the two is huge.

Joshua won’t be able to live with Fury and not sure if there’s even the global interest to make it a massive money spinner.
It'd sell out Wembley and be the biggest fight in UK history, and with all the belts being on the line would do pretty well across the pond.

They'd both get pretty minted off it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It'd sell out Wembley and be the biggest fight in UK history, and with all the belts being on the line would do pretty well across the pond.

They'd both get pretty minted off it.
Huge fight in the UK, I agree.

I personally cannot stand ‘AJ’ so hope Fury puts him in his place and ends his status as a top tier heavyweight :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This one actually makes sense, Fury vanished for 3 years just as AJ got up to the required level to have a bout with him. Since the comeback it’s all been about Wilder for Fury.
Now, they have to fight.
You make it sound like Fury is ducking AJ, when actually AJ and Hearn were being greedy. I posted on here and said it wouldn't surprise me if Fury and Wilder shut out Joshua and do the big fights themselves and hang him out to dry. Looks like they had the same idea. Now AJ has to come back with his tail between his legs.

He'd give the robotic AJ a boxing lesson, would time his linear, straight-line style and would probably floor him.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Fury's been talking about going toe to toe with Wilder and trying to bang him out... I hope for his sake that is a bluff otherwise it's night night time for him.

It makes no sense to deviate from the original plan - just tighten it up and don't lose concentration in there.

Fury is so much better a boxer than Wilder that it's not even funny. Make him chase all night whilst giving him no chance to plant his feet to set up his bomb and there's no way for Wilder to win, lest he invoke the spirit of an actual top class boxer in there.

If Fury isn't bluffing and does go into a fire fight and somehow knocks Wilder out, it'll be one of the biggest shocks there's ever been in a heavyweight title fight.

This fight is all about what Fury opts to do as he's the only one in there who can control the direction the fight goes in.
He won the way he wanted to.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What? There’s a strawman.

Since Fury came back he quickly agreed a Wilder fight, then it was about preparing for that and then the second fight.

I don’t think either Fury or AJ have ducked each other at all.
Agree with this. I can never understand how people can accuse AJ of ducking anyone with the names he has on his record already.

Wilder wanted to take on Fury at a moment where he considered him to be at his weakest, received a long overdue boxing lesson and then had no choice but to take a rematch which he probably convinced himself he would win after the late knockdown. I dont think Wilder would fancy another go at this and would probably prefer to go after AJ, but for me Wilder should take on Whyte. Win that and he becomes relevant again.

As for AJ-Fury - people will be giddy for Fury because of what we've just seen, but he still makes a lot of mistakes for me. This fight was over as soon as he caught the ear, similar to what Ruiz did to AJ, but his left hand was soooooo low that I'd still have fancied a Wilder on solid legs to land a bomb at some stage.

This is boxing, and we know that they will find some way to (a) drag this fight out for another 3 years or (b) ensure that it isnt for all the belts, but it has to happen now. There arent any other fights for them that will interest anyone, and the public deserve to know who is best before the next generation (and Usyk) start to emerge at this level.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Not many saw that coming and whilst we can all laud Fury’s aggression (I was thinking it might have been a snoozefest) I do wonder if the tactic would have backfired if it wasn’t for the bust eardrum. Wilder looked totally off balance from very early on, the two ‘fall’ knockdowns were a clear indicator of that. It allowed Fury to pretty much attack at will. There’s an argument to say that Wilder’s such a poor boxer Fury could attack at will anyway, but I doubt he would have found it quite so easy.

Castia

Wow what a performance he completely dominated Wilder.

I tipped Wilder to win, I thought Fury wasn’t 100% focused on this fight he’s been pissing around in WWE, boy was I wrong.

Fury vs Joshua could be the biggest fight in British boxing history. 2 matches both at Wembley stadium over the next 2 years before both retire insanely rich.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tyson went for him straight away from the first bell and Wilder didnt have a clue how to react. Utterly dominant.

Clearly the punch on the ear took his legs away, but he was never in that fight at any stage. A few wild swings is all he has.

A 3rd fight would be absolutely pointless and follow the same suit. Fury has his balls in a bag now.

The next fight HAS to be AJ V Fury, it'll be absolutely huge and make them both insanely rich. AJ has nothing to lose now with the loss to Ruiz, it has to happen.

Wilder should take on Ruiz next once he recovers, that would be good.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Fury's transformation over the past 2 years is unprecedented and all the positive mental, psychological and physical momentum will continue til his next fight. He will be feeling the love and admiration of his fanbase and has nothing to fear.

Joshua meanwhile has several unresolved issues to deal with. I also think he's lots a lot of fans and respect because he has taken on too many easy purely money making fights recently.

I really hope Fury/Warren banters AJ with with some 'chicken' taunts and see how AJ/Hearn respond.
I don't get why so many people buy into this ridiculous narrative. He made offers to both fighters and they were rejected due to the split. At that moment in time Joshua was undefeated, was a significantly bigger pull and had all but one belt. He deserved the lions share of the purse because he was bringing a hell of a lot more to the table. Yet somehow, Fury and Wilder rejecting the offers was Joshua being a chicken? Because he wouldn't lower his demands? But Fury's demands of a 50/50 split when he had no belts and pulled in smaller crowds was fine? You jump at the opportunity for a title shot like that. If anything, making demands like that seems more like ducking than anything AJ did.

Joshua is very keen on the fight and would probably take a 50/50 now.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
Can Fury and AJ take place at Wembley or anywhere in the UK? Given they are both United fans shouldn't it be Old Trafford? However, I was wondering if Fury's new TV deal means he is obliged to fight in the US from now on.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Can Fury and AJ take place at Wembley or anywhere in the UK? Given they are both United fans shouldn't it be Old Trafford? However, I was wondering if Fury's new TV deal means he is obliged to fight in the US from now on.
I dont think Fury currently has a BBBC license. Not an insurmountable hurdle but I wouldn't rule out it being in Vegas if it happens

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Agree with this. I can never understand how people can accuse AJ of ducking anyone with the names he has on his record already.

Wilder wanted to take on Fury at a moment where he considered him to be at his weakest, received a long overdue boxing lesson and then had no choice but to take a rematch which he probably convinced himself he would win after the late knockdown. I dont think Wilder would fancy another go at this and would probably prefer to go after AJ, but for me Wilder should take on Whyte. Win that and he becomes relevant again.

As for AJ-Fury - people will be giddy for Fury because of what we've just seen, but he still makes a lot of mistakes for me. This fight was over as soon as he caught the ear, similar to what Ruiz did to AJ, but his left hand was soooooo low that I'd still have fancied a Wilder on solid legs to land a bomb at some stage.

This is boxing, and we know that they will find some way to (a) drag this fight out for another 3 years or (b) ensure that it isnt for all the belts, but it has to happen now. There arent any other fights for them that will interest anyone, and the public deserve to know who is best before the next generation (and Usyk) start to emerge at this level.
Read it again, I never said AJ ducked anybody.

Fury knows what he's doing, he kept the low left hand a lot in the first fight and was countering Wilder for fun. He got tagged, fair enough, but at the top level of Heavyweight the margins are fine. He's a super intelligent fighter and wouldn't make adjustments like that without reason. Besides, his defence against Wilder was quite unorthodox anyway to deal with the long looping shots, not simply relying on a glove in front of his chin. That would be dangerous.

Usyk will never be in the same category as these lads at Heavyweight either.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
When I seen the interview with Tyson's dad and David Haye he totally convinced me about Tyson as he brought up so many valid points about Tyson in the first fight took that fight at his weakest point and still won the fight despite how the judges scored it.

I did expect a lot more from Wilder and I think Tyson just brought his A game and Wilder was not prepared for it and could not adapt.

Fury for me is the best fighter in the division no doubt about that, I hope it's straight to AJ now to unify the belts.

Judas

Open to offers
It's a bizarre narrative to suggest AJ has been chasing easy fights when he's fought such a higher class of opponents than someone like Wilder, who's faced one, Fury, and he lost twice.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not so sure Fury vs AJ will be a financial blockbuster.

Highly doubt the US PPV crowed will bother tuning it, even if they host the fight in Las Vegas or New York. If hosted at Wembley or Old Trafford it will be mainly a UK viewership, which is relatively small $$$.

@Raoul what do you think?
If it was done at midnight UK time, it would still be feasible to get a massive US audience imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Were you disappointed by Wilder? Or just think he was outclassed?
He was definitely outclassed by a better man on the night.

I felt Fury came in with the right game plan to take the fight to Wilder and not "wait" for him to unload the right later on. Conversely, Wilder made a massive tactical mistake in not being prepared to mitigate what Fury spent all week saying he was going to do - which was to avoid a judge's decision at all costs. Wilder should've therefore attempting to brawl from the beginning.

If he fights at last night's level, he should be able to handle AJ. I think Fury does the AJ fight, followed by potentially Whyte, then calls it quits.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He was definitely outclassed by a better man on the night.

I felt Fury came in with the right game plan to take the fight to Wilder and not "wait" for him to unload the right later on. Conversely, Wilder made a massive tactical mistake in not being prepared to mitigate what Fury spent all week saying he was going to do - which was to avoid a judge's decision at all costs. Wilder should've therefore attempting to brawl from the beginning.

If he fights at last night's level, he should be able to handle AJ. I think Fury does the AJ fight, followed by potentially Whyte, then calls it quits.
Fair enough. I was disappointed by Wilder but I think the ear damage is mitigating, he was so obviously off balance afterwards there wasn’t much he could do.

I assume Wilder will exercise the rematch clause rather than try to rebuild. Though tbf he may want no part of Fury after that. I can also see an AJ - Fury triology, with everyone able to buy an island a piece afterwards. Don’t think Whyte gets a look in in that case

Luke1995

How much appeal the Joshua-Wilder fight loses now that both men have been dominated ? Shame on the promoters who never made that fight before... to know that both of them have a big, decisive loss, just takes away much of the excitement.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How much appeal the Joshua-Wilder fight loses now that both men have been dominated ? Shame on the promoters who never made that fight before... to know that both of them have a big, decisive loss, just takes away much of the excitement.
If they ever wind up fighting eachother, it will never be what it would've been like had they fought when the iron was hot.

Devil81

Amazing how good is he is now from how unprofessional he was in his early career. I follow boxing a lot and you will struggle to find anyone who watched his first fight with John Mcdermott who thought he'd done enough for the result.

He'd turned up woefully unfit and unprepared for those early fights and his claims that he'd be the best heavyweight in the world was seen more comical than serious. How he has changed my mindset on him, the Klitschko fight was a brilliant defensive points victory but this victory was something else, he dominated Wilder and the game plan the negate the big shot worked a treat, in sharp four or five heavy shots and then smother him with his sheer size advantage. It was as good a boxing performance from a heavyweight as I've ever seen.

The skies the limit for him now, I don't see another heavyweight capable of beating him, AJ certainly hasn't got the tools to beat Fury. If Wilder is anything he is unpredictable with his heavy shots, AJ is like a robot and Fury is far too good a technician to get beat by a robot.

The only person now who can beat Tyson is Tyson, will he be motivated enough to go again and again when he's proven already he's the best twice over.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fair enough. I was disappointed by Wilder but I think the ear damage is mitigating, he was so obviously off balance afterwards there wasn’t much he could do.

I assume Wilder will exercise the rematch clause rather than try to rebuild. Though tbf he may want no part of Fury after that. I can also see an AJ - Fury triology, with everyone able to buy an island a piece afterwards. Don’t think Whyte gets a look in in that case
The ear drum situation seems pretty serious. It wouldn't make sense for him to fight again for some time until its been resolved (which apparently takes a very long time).