The RedCafe Boxing Thread

bsCallout

They do this shit in boxing all the time, the first 15-20 fights of a fighters career are usually against bums with 1 win 38 loss records, just look at Tommy Fury the sport is a complete joke.

What the hell was this event? I mean If somebody said visualise the internet they would show this, I feel like I need to spend the next few weeks offline.
Those fighters doing that are rarely if ever getting paid millions to do so. They are also atleast fighting boxers, even if they are poor ones. Jake Paul hasn't yet been in with a single boxer or striker. Add to that he seems to have a huge weight advantage on all of them.

They are also not making out they are the best thing since sliced bread.

It's painful to watch.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ben Askren is a joke and the fact that fight went ahead with the total weight difference is daft in itself and very dangerous.

Why are people buying this and bothering. It's a total insult to combat sports.
I think it’s a bit bizarre to say that. Askren was a multiple organisation world champion and an Olympian.
He’s a total insult to combat sports.

Paxi

Why is it bizarre?
I’ve just said mate. Askren is the pro here. He’s only 36. He could have easily gotten into shape. Or you know, learned how to box in his long career in MMA. If anything it’s Paul whom is taking the risk.

I’m really disappointed in his approach. Seems like he was just in it for the money and couldn’t give a shit. It’s a bitter pill to swallow as an MMA fan.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve just said mate. Askren is the pro here. He’s only 36. He could have easily gotten into shape. Or you know, learned how to box in his long career in MMA. If anything it’s Paul whom is taking the risk.

I’m really disappointed in his approach. Seems like he was just in it for the money and couldn’t give a shit. It’s a bitter pill to swallow as an MMA fan.
My issue is the weight difference. Someone mentioned 20lbs? This for me is dangerous and shouldn't be happening.

Askren has been an utter let down since signing with the UFC. I expected big things from him but he's been poor. He's never been a decent striker anyway with wrestling his strength so this whole fan screamed money and shouldn't have even been sanctioned.

Paxi

My issue is the weight difference. Someone mentioned 20lbs? This for me is dangerous and shouldn't be happening.

Askren has been an utter let down since signing with the UFC. I expected big things from him but he's been poor. He's never been a decent striker anyway with wrestling his strength so this whole fan screamed money and shouldn't have even been sanctioned.
According to google they’re about the same height. 10kg difference can work both ways IMO. Personally I’d like to be 10KG lighter but still ‘my’ weight if possible. I don’t see a big problem with this to be honest.

Yeah, I don’t know. The man was literally a pro MMA fighter. How can you not sanction a fight against a YouTuber. I guess the whole thing should have been told to get fecked but I actually kind of like it. Creates a bit of buzz around the sport and gets more people into it.

bsCallout

According to google they’re about the same height. 10kg difference can work both ways IMO. Personally I’d like to be 10KG lighter but still ‘my’ weight if possible. I don’t see a big problem with this to be honest.

Yeah, I don’t know. The man was literally a pro MMA fighter. How can you not sanction a fight against a YouTuber. I guess the whole thing should have been told to get fecked but I actually kind of like it. Creates a bit of buzz around the sport and gets more people into it.
Wow. That is a ridiculous arguement. I'm starting to think you are a Jake Paul fanboy.

A 10KG weight difference is huge, and no you wouldn't want to be 10kg lighter. Have you even had a boxing bout?

Paxi

Wow. That is a ridiculous arguement. I'm starting to think you are a Jake Paul fanboy.

A 10KG weight difference is huge, and no you wouldn't want to be 10kg lighter. Have you even had a boxing bout?
Which part? Nah I’m not his fan no. I’ve never boxed inside a ring but guys move weight all the time. I mean it’s not the opponents fault that someone decides to be lard. I’d 100% of the time be 180 pounds than 190. 100 percent. I can retain my strength if I can get to that weight safely.

Abraxas

Does not look rigged. It's an old, fat guy getting tagged and hurt, what is the big deal about that? If you do no training and are very old anyway the punch resistance probably isn't going to be there. Which of course would be part of the reason they handpicked this MMA guy that is not known for boxing.

bsCallout

Which part? Nah I’m not his fan no. I’ve never boxed inside a ring but guys move weight all the time. I mean it’s not the opponents fault that someone decides to be lard. I’d 100% of the time be 180 pounds than 190. 100 percent. I can retain my strength if I can get to that weight safely.
So you've not boxed but you know you'd rather weigh X? Guys move weight because they usually cut ALOT to get to lower weights. Askren was 10kg lighter and could have done with cutting more.

Honestly what you are saying is ridiculous. You are definitely a fan. And also nobody watched last night and felt inspired to fight, it was ridiculous.

Paxi

So you've not boxed but you know you'd rather weigh X? Guys move weight because they usually cut ALOT to get to lower weights. Askren was 10kg lighter and could have done with cutting more.

Honestly what you are saying is ridiculous. You are definitely a fan. And also nobody watched last night and felt inspired to fight, it was ridiculous.
I’ve not boxed but that doesn’t mean I’ve not been in a serious, professional, combative environment before — I was. There is a balance. I’ll reiterate; I’d compete against a person my size whom is 10kg heavier. Be it boxing, Judo or just scrapping. Running.. doing anything. I’ll take 10kg off my weight (if it’s safe and appropriate) over than having 10kg on.

I watched it. I can send you fite tv receipt if you want, unfortunately.

bsCallout

I’ve not boxed but that doesn’t mean I’ve not been in a serious, professional, combative environment before — I was. There is a balance. I’ll reiterate; I’d compete against a person my size whom is 10kg heavier. Be it boxing, Judo or just scrapping. Running.. doing anything. I’ll take 10kg off my weight (if it’s safe and appropriate) over than having 10kg on.

I watched it. I can send you fite tv receipt if you want, unfortunately.
You watched that and it inspired you to want to fight? :lol:

Not to be rude but if Judo is your combative experience that really isn't much to go on.

This isn't a discussion about whether you would add or takeaway 10kg from your weight. What a ridiculous point.

This is the fact that JP weighs 10KG more(in top shape) even without BA being in great shape, he was overweight and still 10KG less. That is a huge advantage and probably shouldn't have been sanctioned, especially as one is a god awful striker.

Paxi

Not to be rude but if Judo is your combative experience that really isn't much to go on.

This isn't a discussion about whether you would add or takeaway 10kg from your weight. What a ridiculous point.

This is the fact that JP weighs 10KG more(in top shape) even without BA being in great shape, he was overweight and still 10KG less. That is a huge advantage and probably shouldn't have been sanctioned, especially as one is a god awful striker.
Im sorry if I’m not making myself clear. I’m saying, if there are fans of Jake Paul, whom, want to take up combat sports after this, then great. That is inspiration. He has a huge following - without a doubt. Stating otherwise would be daft. It would be safe to assume that some of his following would develop something for combat sports- which is a positive.

You think Judo is not a combative experience?
That would be a very embarrassing hill to die on. It really would.

The weight thing is tricky because obviously fighters can be different shapes and sizes but it got sanctioned and it’s Paul who is the amateur here not Askren. Not that it matters objectively. Still the size doesn’t fly.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
This fight was like making love to a beautiful woman. You talk it up beforehand, play some Snoop in the background to get you in the mood, and then it's over in a blink of an eye and you're 20 quid out of pocket.
:lol:

Swiss Toni in the house.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Obviously wasn't a dive, obviously would have been allowed to continue if it was a proper fight. That's the downside to fighting youtubers I suppose, you're operating in an adjusted reality.

Seeing people online annoyed at wasting money on it but they got the fight they deserved.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just saw the "fight" on YouTube.

Ben Askren had the physique of my wife when she was 6 months pregnant.

The man is a joke. Despite being an Olympian and MMA champion, his legacy will be this KO
and when Masvidal fed him the MGM Grand Buffet.

Hopefully the money was worth a lifetime as a meme.

Paxi

I'm not a Royal Marine Commando and Iv'e never passed out but I've done 'death by bottom field' once so I would consider myself one of the fit guys and know what I'm talking about. Am I the fittest? of course not. Was I even the fittest in my troop -- nowhere near. Do I know what it's like to carry extra 10 kilos over 45 mins.. fecking right! I've seen guys far stronger than me just drop. literally just pass out - white cold and fecking resuscitated and off the went to sick bay. For reference:

Seb Eubank, fairly an unknown, apart from his family name obviously, but still a very fit individual.

Here is Harry Kane trying to be a fecking bootneck:

bsCallout

Im sorry if I’m not making myself clear. I’m saying, if there are fans of Jake Paul, whom, want to take up combat sports after this, then great. That is inspiration. He has a huge following - without a doubt. Stating otherwise would be daft. It would be safe to assume that some of his following would develop something for combat sports- which is a positive.

You think Judo is not a combative experience?
That would be a very embarrassing hill to die on. It really would.

The weight thing is tricky because obviously fighters can be different shapes and sizes but it got sanctioned and it’s Paul who is the amateur here not Askren. Not that it matters objectively. Still the size doesn’t fly.
Judo is very limited combative experience, especially where weight is concerned too. That's not to say it isn't a valuable combat sport.

The weight thing isn't tricky. There are weight classes for a reason. JP in naturally a pretty big guy and weighed 10kg more than Ben Askren who if anything was overweight. That is a huge advantage. You're being ridiculous if you don't think it is.

Your other post also completely misses the point. Honestly I can't believe I'm having to spell this out. This isn't the case of one man ADDING extra weight to their natural size, it is the case of one man being much bigger naturally.

T_Model101

An absolute car crash of an event. But there were quite a few "so bad it was good" moments, Oscar being completely and utterly plastered, Snoop's commentary and Jake Paul climbing into the commentary booth to down a shot of Snoop's own gin, the bottle being presented to the camera naturally before he drank the shot.

kidbob

The fight was about as expected I thought. Askern has always been an awful striker and the guy has had 2 hip replacements. I'm glad I watched the UFC instead. Anyone calling for Jake Paul to fight someone proper needs to pipe down. I know the guy is a twat but he'd be at risk of being seriously hurt by anyone who is anyway half decent and a fight like that should never be sanctioned by any commission, it'd be gross negligence. As a fight fan I'm happy to let him have his 'serious professional boxer' ego trip while being safe knowing that any half decent amateur would lay him out without breaking a sweat. Don't want to see that happen though as that would be the real mockery of the sport.

Paxi

The man is a joke. Despite being an Olympian and MMA champion, his legacy will be this KO

Judo is very limited combative experience, especially where weight is concerned too. That's not to say it isn't a valuable combat sport.

The weight thing isn't tricky. There are weight classes for a reason. JP in naturally a pretty big guy and weighed 10kg more than Ben Askren who if anything was overweight. That is a huge advantage. You're being ridiculous if you don't think it is.

Your other post also completely misses the point. Honestly I can't believe I'm having to spell this out. This isn't the case of one man ADDING extra weight to their natural size, it is the case of one man being much bigger naturally.
I'm not sure how you cannot see Judo as combative experience seeing as its an olympic sport? Honestly, master of sport in Judo would be a lot less appetising than an amateur Olympic boxer imo. Of course it's an opinion but I'd rather wrestles a guy than get rag dolled and get elbowed in the face. But that's just me.

No, Jake Paul isn't a "big guy" honestly ffs. he's 178. whole two cm's shorter than Askren. Being 190lbs at 180 and in and around is typically unnatural -- they're not mike fecking Tyson. Again, Im, telling you, that weight is a hindrance .

Paxi

@Dirty Schwein Sorry bud not sure why I tagged you. I think I agreed that Askren is a fecking disgrace. A shambles. And yet im getting called a Jake Paul fan boy. :lol:

bsCallout

I'm not sure how you cannot see Judo as combative experience seeing as its an olympic sport? Honestly, master of sport in Judo would be a lot less appetising than an amateur Olympic boxer imo. Of course it's an opinion but I'd rather wrestles a guy than get rag dolled and get elbowed in the face. But that's just me.

No, Jake Paul isn't a "big guy" honestly ffs. he's 178. whole two cm's shorter than Askren. Being 190lbs at 180 and in and around is typically unnatural -- they're not mike fecking Tyson. Again, Im, telling you, that weight is a hindrance .
Your comprehension is appalling.

But I did say big guy, I meant bigger.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Lot of women would kill for that hourglass shape.

Paxi

Your comprehension is appalling.

But I did say big guy, I meant bigger.
My comparison is appalling? You realise that Khabib is a world Sambo champion, which is very close to Judo. It seems to me that you know absolutely nothing in regards so what else can I offer.

What do you mean by the last sentence. Again, I could be short-firing here but they're both the same size. One has more muscle, one was just himself. Explain to me why I should be worried, for Ben, the Olympian, whom always looked like that, fighting a YouTuber, when he has fought animals like Lawler and Masvidal?

Paxi

Lot of women would kill for that hourglass shape.
Thats Askren though. He always looked like that. Whats embarrassing is that he couldn't fecking box his way out of paper bag. Embarrassing. Now, you'll have absolute feckwits slamming mma, and calling for McGregor. Good grief, as much as I stopped respecting the man, he would fecking destroy Jake Paul etc.

ZupZup

You keep saying JP weighed 10kg more. What’s your source for this? At the weigh in, he weighed half a pound more than Askren... admittedly because Askren was fat and out of shape...

For me, the bigger issue in terms of sanctioning is that JP has been training to box for about 3 years and Askren, about 3 weeks. Even leading up to the fight, Askren’s only argument about how he might win was because maybe the younger, fitter JP might tire or that he hasn’t proved he can face adversity. There was no suggestion that Askren may actually be the better boxer, because he was clearly miles off.

Paxi

Paxi

It's nuts to see someone who has spent his entire life competing look like that :lol:
The man is an animal, as much as Im mad at him. Anyone that can go in to the octagon and make Robbie Lawler look like that, deserves credit. Imagine if he had any stand up -- he'd have been goat level.

bsCallout

You keep saying JP weighed 10kg more. What’s your source for this? At the weigh in, he weighed half a pound more than Askren... admittedly because Askren was fat and out of shape...

For me, the bigger issue in terms of sanctioning is that JP has been training to box for about 3 years and Askren, about 3 weeks. Even leading up to the fight, Askren’s only argument about how he might win was because maybe the younger, fitter JP might tire or that he hasn’t proved he can face adversity. There was no suggestion that Askren may actually be the better boxer, because he was clearly miles off.
You're 100% right, the weight difference isn't the big issue, only that the difference is telling based on their skills.

JP is 190+ in shape. Askren is 190 out of shape. That's no one's fault but just further highlights how ridiculous it is to sanction a Pro boxing bout with a fighter who can't box at all. That weight then becomes a big player in my experience.

I hate that the crossover is so easy, in fact that any fighter can be 'pro' so easy.

The only saving grace was that the ref didn't want the fight to continue, but had it been a even contest that wouldn't have happened. There are very few fighters with worse striking and like you say his gameplan was to basically take the shots until he got tired. That was unlikely in part due to the weight.

Paxi

Doesn't let me view it. Tell me the video title and I'll check it out.
It's a woman absolutely levelling a man with a judo throw.

Type in Jude throws self defence and it'll come up.

bsCallout

It's a woman absolutely levelling a man with a judo throw.

Type in Jude throws self defence and it'll come up.
That is the limitation of the sport which was entirely my point though. Even compared to Sambo, size(weight) is nowhere near as important, in that sense it may be more comparable to BJJ.

Other disciplines that isn't the case.