The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

I have to say I was really looking forward to Fury V Joshua. By far the biggest fight in UK history.

And then they go an ruin it by having it take place in SA. feck them both and Eddie Hearn.
It’s not uncommon for super fights to land in strange locations. Think Thrilla in Manila and Rumble in the jungle.

Oggmonster

It’s not uncommon for super fights to land in strange locations. Think Thrilla in Manila and Rumble in the jungle.
True

I think the problem with us in the UK is we've waited years for a huge fight like this. They're always in America and we're stuck watching at 5am....we finally get one that should be in Britain and it gets taken away from us as well! At least it'll be on at a normal time though

SuperiorXI

True

I think the problem with us in the UK is we've waited years for a huge fight like this. They're always in America and we're stuck watching at 5am....we finally get one that should be in Britain and it gets taken away from us as well! At least it'll be on at a normal time though
Unfortunately money talks and Saudi Arabia have fecking loads of it, especially for sports washing events such as this.

Oggmonster

Unfortunately money talks and Saudi Arabia have fecking loads of it, especially for sports washing events such as this.
Yep definitely get why it's happening there it's just shit that it is.

No doubt Eddie gets asked a softball question on IFL TV to justify it and doesn't get quizzed any further on the matter.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Any news / rumours yet on what Sky will / won’t be covering for the second half of the UK boxing season?

I see Eddie is talking up his plans for 3 weeks of Fight Camp events…

Rooney1987

Well if this is the case this one is on Fury and his team. Had 2 years to do the Wilder fight and signing a deal when you already have one isn't great. That said sure Wilder is about to get a call from Saudi and a nice check.

cyberman

Well if this is the case this one is on Fury and his team. Had 2 years to do the Wilder fight and signing a deal when you already have one isn't great. That said sure Wilder is about to get a call from Saudi and a nice check.
Fury will drop the belt

Red Royal

If this fight does not happen 14th August it may not ever happen (at least not while they hold belts).
If Wilder wants it, I expect we hear him starting to mouth of to the press soon. Hopefully his silence speaks volumes and he is happy to take a cheque for stepping aside.

Oggmonster

I imagine the step-aside route will be the way to go. I think that’s what Wilder wants and what Haymon will advise. Having said that, what are the repercussions if Fury doesn’t fulfill? He’s an English fighter boxing another English fighter in Saudi. Not sure how this Nevada contract holds up?
arbitration is usually legally binding don't think you can just ignore it.

This is all pretty embarrassing for everyone involved. I'd imagine Wilder would want a lot of money to step aside and the pessimist in me says they won't want to pay it so we get Fury vs Wilder 3.

Lay

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I saw Christopher Lovejoy fight the other day. His record is fake and no footage of him is available. But he came in at 307lbs! And promptly got knocked out by Charr in the second round. How on earth did he get a license

bsCallout

Its not his fault. Both sides signed the contract...he's perfectly entitled to the fight or a shit load of money to step aside.
He didn't want the fight. They were playing this card all along, they'll get a nice payday for nothing.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
I’d communicated with Jofre and his family for a number of years. I also had a ton of research. Like a TON. From over the years that I’d had translated. So a few people asked me to write a book on him and I asked his family and they couldn’t be happier.
Well done mate, that's fantastic. Something to be really proud of.

Oggmonster

He didn't want the fight. They were playing this card all along, they'll get a nice payday for nothing.
Maybe not.

Point being him and his team are well within their fight to do what they want so seems daft for him to be hated when its other peoples feck up.

bsCallout

Maybe not.

Point being him and his team are well within their fight to do what they want so seems daft for him to be hated when its other peoples feck up.
He delayed the rematch initially, then he ignored the deadlines, effectively preventing Fury fighting in December, then as soon as Fury has another fight announced they pop up and 'want' the fight. He'll get the biggest payday of his life for not fighting.

Inter Yer Nan

He delayed the rematch initially, then he ignored the deadlines, effectively preventing Fury fighting in December, then as soon as Fury has another fight announced they pop up and 'want' the fight. He'll get the biggest payday of his life for not fighting.
I agree. I think Wilder and especially Al Haymon did not want a rematch but they also wanted to administer some spite. Now they are in a tricky spot where he’ll look bad if he takes the step-aside after all his talk but he’d be smart to do it. If he’s not all talk he’ll simply fight Fury next. I guess we’ll see.

Fury-Wilder III is such a letdown now if it happens. I wouldn’t surprised if it’s even quicker next time.

markhughes

Fury can just drop the belt, it will be a shame to not have all the belts on the line but the other belt would be viewed as a third rate belt at that point.

I wouldn't put it past Fury to say he beat up AJ and Wilder a month later (or the same night). In fact, forget this super fight and let's just have a super 6! Everyone's a winner.

Oggmonster

Didn't Fury delay the rematch to? And there was COVID etc as well which obviously didn't help.

I'm not disputing whether he wanted the fight or not. I'm merely stating if there's a contract there he's well within his rights to want compensating to step aside or take the fight himself.

bsCallout

Fury can just drop the belt, it will be a shame to not have all the belts on the line but the other belt would be viewed as a third rate belt at that point.

I wouldn't put it past Fury to say he beat up AJ and Wilder a month later (or the same night). In fact, forget this super fight and let's just have a super 6! Everyone's a winner.
AJ might have a problem with it not being the undisputed fight.

He also cant just drop the belt, this effects broadcasters, the fighters and promotion teams aswell as the belt organisations. Dropping the belt doesn't resolve this.

bsCallout

Didn't Fury delay the rematch to? And there was COVID etc as well which obviously didn't help.

I'm not disputing whether he wanted the fight or not. I'm merely stating if there's a contract there he's well within his rights to want compensating to step aside or take the fight himself.
He's within his rights, which is what they knew all along. That's why he's getting criticised, it was their play from the beginning. To prevent the fight or get big money.

Fury said he wouldn't fight Wilder again after Wilder delayed and ignored the deadlines set because Fury wanted to stay active.

Covid didn't help but the fight was still there to be made.

bsCallout

Not entirely convinced Fury would want to drop the belt just to fight AJ. I can see it being a sticking point anyway - whether he relents is another issue.
Most fighters would for the payday, but I think Fury is motivated not entirely by money.
Fury is definitely motivated by money. He'll drop the belt if he can, he gets a few more for the trouble of beating AJ anyway.

There may well be some contractual issues with the AJ fight if Fury doesn't have the belt though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Fury is definitely motivated by money. He'll drop the belt if he can, he gets a few more for the trouble of beating AJ anyway.

There may well be some contractual issues with the AJ fight if Fury doesn't have the belt though.
I might be wrong but I don't know if he will just vacate as quickly as other fighters have in the past. I reckon he'll try to find another way around it if possible.

Oggmonster

He's within his rights, which is what they knew all along. That's why he's getting criticised, it was their play from the beginning. To prevent the fight or get big money.

Fury said he wouldn't fight Wilder again after Wilder delayed and ignored the deadlines set because Fury wanted to stay active.

Covid didn't help but the fight was still there to be made.
Boxing politics has been around for years. This just sounds like people prefer Fury to Wilder so will criticise one abd slate the other (I find both painfully boring "personalities" personally.)

Fury or his team agreed to them terms so knew it was there but went ahead and announced a fight with AJ....could easily say he didn't fancy it and knew this would happen etc so can make Wilder look the bad guy.

It takes 2 to tango....Fury hasn't fought since the Wilder fight so what's to say he was that keen to fight again? Even Frank Warren did an interview implying Fury etc are dragging their feet with the AJ stuff.

Just seems a joke from most people involved really. None of them are blameless but again I don't get why people are putting it all on Wilder? Should he just not take money/a fight he's entitled to? Its on others to sort him out now. Everyone would do the same as he's done.

It's not like he rushed this through since the AJ/Fury talk either it's been in the courts for months now I think.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wilder should simply negotiate he gets part of the purse, plus AJ and Fury both have to walk out in Wilder's costume.

bsCallout

Boxing politics has been around for years. This just sounds like people prefer Fury to Wilder so will criticise one abd slate the other (I find both painfully boring "personalities" personally.)

Fury or his team agreed to them terms so knew it was there but went ahead and announced a fight with AJ....could easily say he didn't fancy it and knew this would happen etc so can make Wilder look the bad guy.

It takes 2 to tango....Fury hasn't fought since the Wilder fight so what's to say he was that keen to fight again? Even Frank Warren did an interview implying Fury etc are dragging their feet with the AJ stuff.

Just seems a joke from most people involved really. None of them are blameless but again I don't get why people are putting it all on Wilder? Should he just not take money/a fight he's entitled to? Its on others to sort him out now. Everyone would do the same as he's done.

It's not like he rushed this through since the AJ/Fury talk either it's been in the courts for months now I think.
No it sounds like people want to see an undisputed fight.

Wilder had every excuse under the sun for why he lost.

Fury tried to arrange a December fight which didn't go ahead because of this case, which it seems Arum was fairly confident they would win, which is why they agreed the AJ fight too.

Fury was dragging his feet with the AJ fight because they wanted reassurances regarding the finances with the Saudis, which they got, post Eid and agreed the fight.

Oggmonster

No it sounds like people want to see an undisputed fight.

Wilder had every excuse under the sun for why he lost.

Fury tried to arrange a December fight which didn't go ahead because of this case, which it seems Arum was fairly confident they would win, which is why they agreed the AJ fight too.

Fury was dragging his feet with the AJ fight because they wanted reassurances regarding the finances with the Saudis, which they got, post Eid and agreed the fight.
So do I.

My point is that Wilder and his team are perfectly within their rights to want money or a fight with Fury as that is the contract Fury/his team agreed to. It's not on Wilder if this fight doesn't happen.

Hearn has come out and said Furys team told him this wouldn't be a problem and has said its their fault if the fight isn't made.

The case has gone on for months. Fury signed the contract so they have to honour that contract. I don't want to see the fight again. My initial reply was stating that its hardly all on Wilder that's all.

bsCallout

So do I.

My point is that Wilder and his team are perfectly within their rights to want money or a fight with Fury as that is the contract Fury/his team agreed to. It's not on Wilder if this fight doesn't happen.

Hearn has come out and said Furys team told him this wouldn't be a problem and has said its their fault if the fight isn't made.

The case has gone on for months. Fury signed the contract so they have to honour that contract. I don't want to see the fight again. My initial reply was stating that its hardly all on Wilder that's all.
We'd all likely do what Wilder is doing. Still deserves criticism for it if the fight doesn't go through.

Undisputed hasn't happen in 20+ years. The time is now.

If I was Wilder I'd try get some step aside money and a contract signed to fight the winner. If that's even possible.

Oggmonster

We'd all likely do what Wilder is doing. Still deserves criticism for it if the fight doesn't go through.

Undisputed hasn't happen in 20+ years. The time is now.

If I was Wilder I'd try get some step aside money and a contract signed to fight the winner. If that's even possible.
Yep agreed on all that mate.

Listening to Hearn earlier it seems like the Matchroom side is blaming Furys side and won't pay step aside money....seems fair enough as its a bit harsh if Joshua/Matchroom are out of pocket when they were told none of this was an issue.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why the feck does wilder get a 3rd fight? He got feckin smashed in both, only won the first cos of absolute shit judges.

Inter Yer Nan

Why the feck does wilder get a 3rd fight? He got feckin smashed in both, only won the first cos of absolute shit judges.
He only got a “draw” in the first fight but yeah everyone views it as 2-0.

It is a contract through but I don’t like the way Wilder went about it to find out the figures of what we’re at stake in Fury-Joshua so he could try to get a step-aside. I’m glad Fury sounds like he’ll just fight him again. Wilder could have answered Fury’s call-outs last year but went quiet which he never does.

I’m sure Fury smashes him again but I’d be worried Usyk details Joshua if they fight in August.Hopefully Joshua can get an OK for a softer interim fight.