The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Deery

Dreary
This doesn't seem an enthralling matchup given Canelo won decently last time and GGG has been sat on the side getting up in age.
You what!? GGG won both fights..

Although I don’t think it’s wise to take on Canelo now, the way he is going through guys is unnatural and Genedy isn’t getting any younger.

Abraxas

You what!? GGG won both fights..

Although I don’t think it’s wise to take on Canelo now, the way he is going through guys is unnatural and Genedy isn’t getting any younger.
I thought Canelo comfortably won the second even though I'm much more of a GGG fan. Maybe that's my pessimistic nature.

Either way, the man is now 39 years old and Canelo is at the peak of his powers. Not a great look for Golovkin.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I wouldn't put too much weight on the result if it goes ahead. Not only do the majority of people think GGG won the first two fights, It would be a final pay day for Gennady and he can sail off into the sunset hopefully.

Abraxas

Yes, I won't be paying to watch two has beens that couldn't get a fight together years ago battle off in a fight that leads precisely nowhere because they're irrelevant at world level now. Seems like it rewards more bad industry practice. Boxing is incredibly frustrating.

Good "win" for Ryder. Wasn't keeping a close eye on it but seemed like he lost quite a lot of rounds, not sure if that was deserved or not. Then again Jacobs was constantly hugging and avoiding fighting at short range which should be punished by the ref so oh well.

Deery

Dreary
Yes, I won't be paying to watch two has beens that couldn't get a fight together years ago battle off in a fight that leads precisely nowhere because they're irrelevant at world level now. Seems like it rewards more bad industry practice. Boxing is incredibly frustrating.

Good "win" for Ryder. Wasn't keeping a close eye on it but seemed like he lost quite a lot of rounds, not sure if that was deserved or not. Then again Jacobs was constantly hugging and avoiding fighting at short range which should be punished by the ref so oh well.
Did he win on points? From what I gathered off Twitter Jacobs was giving him a lesson.

Abraxas

Did he win on points? From what I gathered off Twitter Jacobs was giving him a lesson.
Yes. He certainly was at the start but he seemed to tire more allowing Ryder to win some middle and later rounds, and Ryder had him buzzed at the end of one of the rounds.

I didn't see that Ryder pulled back enough rounds personally but wasn't religiously scoring it. Definitely worth noting how much holding Jacobs did which really should be clamped down on. Shouldn't be allowed to jab, move, hold to stop shorter fighters working at their range, wish refs would wisen up to that.

G-manc

I thought Ryder was lucky even though he had his moments in the second half when Jacobs tired a bit. I don't find Ryder great to watch as all his best work is up close and leads to too many messy clinches.

I've always though Brook would beat Khan but at the stage they are at now i'd lean towards Khan. Brook looks old in his face, spends half his camp shifting excess weight cos he doesn't look after himself and i suspect he'll be a busted flush after 3-4 rounds. Khan looks to have whipped himself into terrific shape working with Terrence Crawford.

SambaBoy

I did favour Brook in the past but Khan is more used to these high pressure situations, and being in and competing with elite level fighters. Both decided stupidly to move up two weight classes to fight the very best and both got subsequently knocked out before both getting a beating from Crawford.

No matter who wins, does anyone want to see them in a world title fight when they have both shown they are past their best at that level?

Kazi

Let’s be honest, everyone is still gonna tune in and there’s still a massive appetite for this fight from the general public.

I do slightly lean towards Khan but he hasn’t fought in ages so not entirely sure how it will unfold. Expect him to start stronger but will be interesting from rounds 4/5 onwards.

Abraxas

My feeling is Khan is probably still sharper. I think he's still got some footspeed, handspeed, he's quite orthodox so there is less to go wrong.

Whereas Brook with the reflex based style, the suffering he's had with weight etc, the serious injury, I get the impression he's going to look the worse of the two. He can certainly land a big shot and win but I think he is just as capable of being caught cold or marked/busted up pretty quickly himself.

At their primes I would 100% take Brook as he had great timing, decent power, I think he'd have chinned Khan at some point.

Deery

Dreary
Brook is shot to shit, Khan will beat him with his jab but is also a nothing fighter nowadays…

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Khan will win, two finished fighters but Brook has taken a lot of damage in recent fights. Probably a points victory for Khan

JP77

Khan definitely won the gloves are off anyway, if that counts for anything.
Really? Don’t agree at all. Brook was open and honest and definitely got under the skin of Khan.

Clear as day light that Khan is happy to take this fight now knowing that Brook is pretty much at the end of his career and wanting a big pay day. Really hope Brook beats him.

With everything said while these two may be past it it’ll still be a great watchand the build up has been awesome. Atmosphere will be great on Saturday.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought Khan was hilarious during the gloves off. He is way better in front of the camera than Brook.

I always wanted Brook to win but I’ve started to appreciate Khan more now than I did before

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I feel like Brook cares more about who comes out on top in the boxing. Khan has turned into a bit of an attention seeker/money grabber like a certain CM.

Deery

Dreary
Did anyone see Dominic Ingle drinking Kell Brook’s sweat?

Absolutely disgusting..

Revan

Assumptionman
Think that GGG won both of the previous matches, and in case of the first one, it wasn't particularly close. But this time, I have Canelo as favorite. He is in drugs while GGG is getting old.

lsd

The Oracle
I feel like Brook cares more about who comes out on top in the boxing. Khan has turned into a bit of an attention seeker/money grabber like a certain CM.

I cannot believe anyone would pay money to watch two completely over the hill fighters boxing each other

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I don't pay for PPV's anymore after GGG Canelo and Fury Wilder 1.

LDUred

It's a shame Khan never got to fight Floyd. I don't think Khan would have beaten him, but at that time, it felt like a fight that would have added a bit of extra lustre to Floyd's legacy. Khan was exceptionally fast.

The Peterson fight basically screwed up that, and Khan clearly won that fight. Just a total scandal of a fight, up there with Lewis Holyfield as a robbery.

I would like Khan to win this and feel he outclasses Brook, but he is not the fighter he was. Brook has probably declined less.

Last edited: