The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Glorio

Crawford vs Spence is the other really annoying farce.

Would be great if fans start unanimously boycotting filler fights where there's an obvious big fight to be made, unlikely as that may be. As it is, we enable this nonsense and no one holds these promoters to account

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hey guys, haven’t been super active lately, busy with work and boxing but wanted to share this:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqBgWdiD9KR/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I’ve said it before, but I have to say it again, this guy is by far the most humble superstar I’ve ever met. He is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Period. Really makes me proud of boxing. I do have some great plans with him. I was lucky to have first met him after his fight with Mayorga back in 2004 and have met him a few times since. This one was special last week, having met him a couple years back at the Atlantic City Boxing HOF, showing him the photo of me & him after the Mayorga fight. Then we stayed in touch and I finally made it back to Puerto Rico. It’s truly humbling to see how he treats people and the life he lives and asks for no attention for his many good deeds.

Kind of makes you sad when you see the antics of the guys fighting today who are nowhere near as successful and famous as him.
Nice to see you back in the thread man! Looks like you’re having an amazing time. What was he up to nowadays? Still involved with the sport in a big way? Also, what did he think of boxing as it is now?

youngrell

Hey guys, haven’t been super active lately, busy with work and boxing but wanted to share this:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqBgWdiD9KR/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I’ve said it before, but I have to say it again, this guy is by far the most humble superstar I’ve ever met. He is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Period. Really makes me proud of boxing. I do have some great plans with him. I was lucky to have first met him after his fight with Mayorga back in 2004 and have met him a few times since. This one was special last week, having met him a couple years back at the Atlantic City Boxing HOF, showing him the photo of me & him after the Mayorga fight. Then we stayed in touch and I finally made it back to Puerto Rico. It’s truly humbling to see how he treats people and the life he lives and asks for no attention for his many good deeds.

Kind of makes you sad when you see the antics of the guys fighting today who are nowhere near as successful and famous as him.
Brilliant. Tito was a great fighter from probably my favourite era of following the sport. Nice to hear he's such a good guy, too.

Inter Yer Nan

Nice to see you back in the thread man! Looks like you’re having an amazing time. What was he up to nowadays? Still involved with the sport in a big way? Also, what did he think of boxing as it is now?
He owns property. But his lifestyle is simple. He is very involved with the church, helps people out, told me to stay in shape he hits the treadmill daily, does garden work and he visits friends and family. He’s still so beloved in Puerto Rico. Sometimes his wife has him go to the store, expecting him back in 30 mins and he’s gone three hours because he’s been talking to his fans, taking photos etc; truly a man of the people.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He owns property. But his lifestyle is simple. He is very involved with the church, helps people out, told me to stay in shape he hits the treadmill daily, does garden work and he visits friends and family. He’s still so beloved in Puerto Rico. Sometimes his wife has him go to the store, expecting him back in 30 mins and he’s gone three hours because he’s been talking to his fans, taking photos etc; truly a man of the people.
Love it :drool:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Anyone thinking of watching Lyndon Arthur on C5 tonight?
Unfortunately his scheduled opponent Suarez has blown a medical and has been replaced by a Brit called Boris Crighton who is 9-1 fighting in club shows so shouldn’t trouble Lyndon too much.
On the undercard Kazakh fighter Sultan Zaurbek is the one who has great future prospects.

TheReligion

Abusive
Anyone thinking of watching Lyndon Arthur on C5 tonight?
Unfortunately his scheduled opponent Suarez has blown a medical and has been replaced by a Brit called Boris Crighton who is 9-1 fighting in club shows so shouldn’t trouble Lyndon too much.
On the undercard Kazakh fighter Sultan Zaurbek is the one who has great future prospects.
Was a good fight and Boris did end up troubling him.

As per some of the cards were ridiculously wide.

Absolutely sick of it

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nice to see Fury getting the shit he rightfully deserves. He might be the top heavyweight in the world but he’s a pathological liar and become beyond annoying.
Why is he a liar? It seems every boxer is a liar these days. It's a game, they're all full of shit. You should know this. Frank Warren was interviewed by IFLTV a couple of days ago and he provided pretty good evidence that this wasn't Fury ducking the fight or anything like that. He quoted Uysk's guys on talksport where he decided to phone in and speak to them live in air, and his guys were admitting that it wasn't Fury's fault etc.

People forget this is business at the end of the day. The fight will happen, this shit just needs to run it's course. Fury isn't afraid of fighting Usyk and Usyk needs Fury for the payday. It will happen.

M15 Red.

Why is he a liar? It seems every boxer is a liar these days. It's a game, they're all full of shit. You should know this. Frank Warren was interviewed by IFLTV a couple of days ago and he provided pretty good evidence that this wasn't Fury ducking the fight or anything like that. He quoted Uysk's guys on talksport where he decided to phone in and speak to them live in air, and his guys were admitting that it wasn't Fury's fault etc.

People forget this is business at the end of the day. The fight will happen, this shit just needs to run it's course. Fury isn't afraid of fighting Usyk and Usyk needs Fury for the payday. It will happen.
I don't think Fury ever really fancied the fight for April once the ME money was off the table. The 70/30 UK purse grab wasn't even enough because he knew he could dwarf that amount even with 50/50 split in the ME, like Warren had originally suggested.

We can probably expect another record priced ppv tune up in May/June against someone like Andy Ruiz, before his antics start all over again for a fight with Usyk in the ME in Nov/Dec.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
This Moses Ituama fella looks a bit special. He has speed & silver quick reflexes to combine with some frightening power. Next heavyweight super star?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
This Moses Ituama fella looks a bit special. He has speed & silver quick reflexes to combine with some frightening power. Next heavyweight super star?
Won't know until he fights a live body. The two guys he's fought so far have been absolute jokes, both turned up to fold as soon as a punch even half-landed. Don't think we can say he has 'frightening power' based off that. Even Itauma looked embarrassed last night, shrugging his shoulders and saying 'how?' at the fact the guy couldn't (wouldn't) get back up.

Rams

Won't know until he fights a live body. The two guys he's fought so far have been absolute jokes, both turned up to fold as soon as a punch even half-landed. Don't think we can say he has 'frightening power' based off that. Even Itauma looked embarrassed last night, shrugging his shoulders and saying 'how?' at the fact the guy couldn't (wouldn't) get back up.
Watch some of his amateur bouts against some of the World’s best and most experienced amateur heavy weight fighters. The guy was only 16-17 and was schooling and overpowering all in his wake. Frightening! In 2 years time this thread will mostly be about Moses Ituama…

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Watch some of his amateur bouts against some of the World’s best and most experienced amateur heavy weight fighters. The guy was only 16-17 and was schooling and overpowering all in his wake. Frightening! In 2 years time this thread will mostly be about Moses Ituama…
I normally hate overhype of young fighters but I think this one may be worthy of it.
Brickhead will step up the quality of opponents soon enough but may struggle to find too many prepared to get their bell rung for not much reward.

Rams

I normally hate overhype of young fighters but I think this one may be worthy of it.
Brickhead will step up the quality of opponents soon enough but may struggle to find too many prepared to get their bell rung for not much reward.
Yeah, there’s a bit of the young Mike Tyson about him isn’t there. He looks a lump, but he has incredible speed and slick footwork for such a big fella. And his power is scary.

Inter Yer Nan

I’m saying, in general, the guys a liar. Like when he said he didn’t care about money, and when he said he was gonna give all his Wilder purse to the homeless. When he said he’d only fight for free. When he said he ate Wild boat meat was the reason he was dirty, when he claimed he was depressed and the worst day of his life when he beat Klitschcko but fairly recently said it was the best day of his life. He’s said so much that he’s contradicting himself constantly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think Fury's antics are about both money and mental health; in terms of 'fear' in the ring, I don't believe that for a second.

By mental health, I'm not talking about depressive states or anything of the sort, rather, him always being unstable, volatile and predictably unpredictable in his antics, behaviour and patterns to get practically any fight made. It's not exclusive to Usyk, and come and gone, he'll be the same further down the road until he retires. It's part and parcel of what he is.

The money part should be obvious. Since the Middle East got involved in boxing, nothing has been the same; if you can procure the bag there, you're making 3-4 times what you will anywhere else, morals be damned. Fighter splits and the rest of it are immaterial compared to what the pursuit is really about, which is getting the fight made and going ahead there. Take them out of the equation and everything falls back in line. If Fury can get a fight in the M.E. he'll take it over the noble, traditions of going elsewhere, unless someone else is willing to put the same kind of package forth, which they aren't.

Usyk is the fall guy in all of this, but not because of actual boxing as opposed to what Fury is and what he's in pursuit of; you can put <insert name> of any other opponent whom he believes he should be getting obscene money for and nothing would be different to what we're seeing.

Ultimately, like football, 'legacy' is meaning less and less to these athletes over acquiring eye-watering (even for them relative to what they previously earned) amounts of money.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think Fury's antics are about both money and mental health; in terms of 'fear' in the ring, I don't believe that for a second.

By mental health, I'm not talking about depressive states or anything of the sort, rather, him always being unstable, volatile and predictably unpredictable in his antics, behaviour and patterns to get practically any fight made. It's not exclusive to Usyk, and come and gone, he'll be the same further down the road until he retires. It's part and parcel of what he is.

The money part should be obvious. Since the Middle East got involved in boxing, nothing has been the same; if you can procure the bag there, you're making 3-4 times what you will anywhere else, morals be damned. Fighter splits and the rest of it are immaterial compared to what the pursuit is really about, which is getting the fight made and going ahead there. Take them out of the equation and everything falls back in line. If Fury can get a fight in the M.E. he'll take it over the noble, traditions of going elsewhere, unless someone else is willing to put the same kind of package forth, which they aren't.

Usyk is the fall guy in all of this, but not because of actual boxing as opposed to what Fury is and what he's in pursuit of; you can put <insert name> of any other opponent whom he believes he should be getting obscene money for and nothing would be different to what we're seeing.

Ultimately, like football, 'legacy' is meaning less and less to these athletes over acquiring eye-watering (even for them relative to what they previously earned) amounts of money.
Strikes me as probably a good take on it. I think it's a particular shame with someone like AJ who used to have genuine broad appeal and an interesting view on the world outside boxing as well as within, to see him chase immoral money that he doesn't need, talk as if money is his sole objective, and lack the drive to go down as a genuinely great fighter. Perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye e.g. brain injuries, fear etc, but that perverse faux hip hop Money Mayweather vibe he's got going on just sounds like a fragile masculinity that wasn't there in him as a young man. He's like inverse Lewis Hamilton personality wise.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Strikes me as probably a good take on it. I think it's a particular shame with someone like AJ who used to have genuine broad appeal and an interesting view on the world outside boxing as well as within, to see him chase immoral money that he doesn't need, talk as if money is his sole objective, and lack the drive to go down as a genuinely great fighter. Perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye e.g. brain injuries, fear etc, but that perverse faux hip hop Money Mayweather vibe he's got going on just sounds like a fragile masculinity that wasn't there in him as a young man. He's like inverse Lewis Hamilton personality wise.
The money makes a cynic out of most, I think. Don't know if they can be blamed because they are using a new resource against a system that has always looked to exploit fighters wherever it can and then discard them at the end of the process, sometimes with lifelong damage to their health; they want to be recompensed accordingly and are in pursuit of the biggest slice of the pie they can get.

Boxing did this to itself over years and years and this is the new culmination manifest (M.E. money), which we're likely to see more and more fighters who are a big enough draw, pursue. Unless you're a massive global PPV draw or have a fight contract/package that pays handsomely (Canelo like), you're likely going to see these one-off bouts from infrequent boxers hosted where the money on offer is astronomical rather than simply good or satisfactory, like how it used to be.

Going by Fury, I think he's got maybe 3 or 4 fights left in him before he retires. The 'fear' being spoken of, I see more about missing out on the immense earnings he could secure than losing a fight or his belts, and if you think about that from his perspective, you could be talking about the difference between 8-figures and maybe 9 or even 10, if he plays his cards right and gets the fights that are the biggest possible draw after drumming up interest.

There's a lot more on the line than simply fighting Usyk to prove who is the best - that's not particularly high on the list of priorities for Fury, I'm guessing.

pocco

loco
I’m saying, in general, the guys a liar. Like when he said he didn’t care about money, and when he said he was gonna give all his Wilder purse to the homeless. When he said he’d only fight for free. When he said he ate Wild boat meat was the reason he was dirty, when he claimed he was depressed and the worst day of his life when he beat Klitschcko but fairly recently said it was the best day of his life. He’s said so much that he’s contradicting himself constantly.
I know what you're saying, but don't you think it just comes with the turf? Most of them talk crap for whatever reason, mind games maybe, whatever. Fury gets held to his word though when others don't, which is what bugs me. I have my favourite fighters that I want to see do well, and some I dislike, but the words they say leading up to fights just go in one ear and out the other.

I usually find the truest words they speak are after they've battered eachother for 12 rounds and are stood with their arm over the other guys shoulder at the end.

pocco

loco
I don't think Fury ever really fancied the fight for April once the ME money was off the table. The 70/30 UK purse grab wasn't even enough because he knew he could dwarf that amount even with 50/50 split in the ME, like Warren had originally suggested.

We can probably expect another record priced ppv tune up in May/June against someone like Andy Ruiz, before his antics start all over again for a fight with Usyk in the ME in Nov/Dec.
I could get behind that. Anybody that gets bent out if shape at these guys chasing the best pay are hypocrites really. They're putting their lives on the line, of course they want as much money as possible. It's a short career for most. I don't even think Fury feels like he has much to prove with the opponents left out there, it probably takes a good pay day to get the juices flowing and get the focus he needs.

But like you alluded to, quite often these days, these fights are created over longer periods now. It's like a soap opera, the "will they, won't they" builds the fight. This, people getting bent out of shape that it didn't get agreed smoothly straight away, gets people built up for it. It's all a marketing ploy. I thought everyone knew that. You're probably right, they'll face some bums first and then after their fights, one of them will be ringside and they'll be in each others faces again for the cameras.

pocco

loco

This, pretty much. Although I do think Fury knows this fight will happen barring a shock loss for either of them first, and he also knows that he will be building his legacy when the fight does happen. Why not get more money for the same fights and build a legacy? I'm sure he is confident in his ability to beat Usyk, so the next detail to consider is the money.

But yeah, you've summed Fury up well. Whether you admire his approach or not, he is just predictably unpredictable, as you put it. How often do you hear fans, pundits and promoters talking about good fighters needing that "star quality" or the charisma to push them up a level and draw in the fans. This is just Fury's schtick.

TwoSheds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-65091581

Interesting. Would love to see AJ become self confident again and see if he can't take his game to the next level. He has such natural gifts in terms of stature and power and if the real him is still in there then you can't help but root for him.

FriedClams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-65091581

Interesting. Would love to see AJ become self confident again and see if he can't take his game to the next level. He has such natural gifts in terms of stature and power and if the real him is still in there then you can't help but root for him.
I find it difficult to root for him in all honesty, lots of murmurings that hes an arsehole and billy big bollocks when the cameras arent around. One of the more overrated fighters in recent years too.

TwoSheds

I find it difficult to root for him in all honesty, lots of murmurings that hes an arsehole and billy big bollocks when the cameras arent around. One of the more overrated fighters in recent years too.
Well that's the thing, he didn't used to come across like that. He's gone down this sort of dirty money black hole and he genuinely used to come across as an interesting, thoughtful guy. Maybe he was always a cock, who knows, but he didn't seem that way. Everyone loses their way sometimes I suppose and as somebody said above, perhaps the money can make a cynic of anyone if they're not careful. I won't be holding my breath but would love a personality comeback, even if the boxing stays a bit average.

FriedClams

Well that's the thing, he didn't used to come across like that. He's gone down this sort of dirty money black hole and he genuinely used to come across as an interesting, thoughtful guy. Maybe he was always a cock, who knows, but he didn't seem that way. Everyone loses their way sometimes I suppose and as somebody said above, perhaps the money can make a cynic of anyone if they're not careful. I won't be holding my breath but would love a personality comeback, even if the boxing stays a bit average.
I think the comments above about Felix Trinidad show that it is possible to be a superstar, but stay humble. Can't be helping joshua that hes surrounded by uk boxing promoters, who are up there with the biggest scum anywhere in sports.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
All boxers could be dodgeball champions.
It seems that way sometimes but there's quite a few who travel the world providing valuable experience to up and coming fighters or guys like French Heavyweight Carlos Takam and Britain's Dereck Chisora who'll take on anyone if the money's there and give them a test.

TheLiverBird

Fury
Usyk
AJ
Wilder
Joyce

These 5 should all be fighting it out between them regularly too bring life too the Heavyweight division

So far all we’ve seen is Fury/Wilder AJ/Usyk

not good enough, boxing in the HW division is an utter disgrace

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Fury
Usyk
AJ
Wilder
Joyce

These 5 should all be fighting it out between them regularly too bring life too the Heavyweight division

So far all we’ve seen is Fury/Wilder AJ/Usyk

not good enough, boxing in the HW division is an utter disgrace
Usyk is a warrior and will fight pretty much anyone as long as the opposite camp aren't taking the piss.
Joshua and Joyce aren't averse to taking anyone on no matter if the opponent is at the peak of their powers or not.
Fury and Wilder are the worst of them. They want everything their own way and have very little regard for the game or their fans. It's all about the money and their ego for them.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
AJ tomorrow night then. Hoping to see him get some confidence back, get a big knockout

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That's the problem with boxing and how it is run. No one central authority that can mandate fights. Should just be a clearly defined ladder.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

That's more like it. Fight was made remarkably quickly after Inoue decided to move up a weight class, got postponed about a week ago due to Inoue getting injured, and they've already rescheduled it. No drama, just two top fighters acting like grown ups.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city

That's more like it. Fight was made remarkably quickly after Inoue decided to move up a weight class, got postponed about a week ago due to Inoue getting injured, and they've already rescheduled it. No drama, just two top fighters acting like grown ups.
Inoue is class in every sense of the word. My favourite fighter ever.