The RedCafe Boxing Thread

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
@Inter Yer Nan you’re our resident boxing exoert. Can you wade into this debate. Did AJ produce a decent display of actual boxing, which was what was required to get the job done, or do you think he was boring and cowardly for not engaging in a slugfest?

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I’m not surprised Ruiz came in a stone heavier.

I’ve been watching his ‘day in a life’ videos of right before leaving for Saudi and his diet is truly shocking! Nothing but pizza, chilli cheese fries, chicken wings loaded with sauce and huge bowls of pasta Alfredos.

I read he also delayed training camp by 2 months. He’s done nothing but buy Roll-Royce, Lamborghini’s, big houses, diamond chains, watches and all in the short space of 6-months. No wonder he was unprepared.

He pretty much admitted being unprofessional in his post-match reaction, stating “next time” I’m gonna take it more seriously, I was too heavy, I’m gonna do this and that. Absolute nonsense, he won’t have the motivation after a bigger pay-day this time around. No one wants to see a 3rd match because the outcome will only be the same.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I’m not surprised Ruiz came in a stone heavier.

I’ve been watching his ‘day in a life’ videos of right before leaving for Saudi and his diet is truly shocking! Nothing put pizza, chilli cheese fries, chicken wings loaded with sauce and huge bowls of pasta Alfredos.

I read he also delayed training camp by 2 months. He’s done nothing but buy Roll-Royce, Lamborghini’s, big houses, diamond chains, watches and all in the short space of 6-months. No wonder he was unprepared.

He pretty much admitted being unprofessional in his post-match reaction, stating “next time” I’m gonna take it more seriously, I was too heavy, I’m gonna do this and that. Absolute nonsense, he won’t have the motivation after a bigger pay-day this time around. No one wants to see a 3rd match because the outcome will only be the same.
Definitely don't want to see a third. That fight was poor.

:lol: Your ability to type constant shite across a huge range of subjects is unprecedented
The best is that he slags off AJ for that kind of performance and then finishes saying he hopes Fury “smashes the crap out of him”, fecking Fury who’s never smashed a top opponent in his entire career and approaches any dangerous fight just like AJ last night.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ruiz let a lot of people down last night, not just himself. There was no reason to self-destruct like that, and why didn't he redirect his hunger into trying to retain those belts with a proper camp rather than into eating and partying?

Prior to the fight, I believed he had put in the effort, but it just goes to show what a well lighted and angled picture or two can do.

There should be nothing but praise for Joshua after tonight - anyone calling it cowardly doesn't seem to grasp what was at stake; the threat of the opponent KO'ing him again; and the differential in power in exchanges with Joshua's loss of mass to get himself as mobile as he was as an Olympian.

Joshua put a hell of a lot of work into changing himself, and to do that inside 5 months is a feat in itself. I don't praise the guy much in here, and he is still a stiff, unnatural boxer to me, but he does absolutely everything in his power to be the best fighter he can be and that deserves the utmost respect and kudos.

It is great that the onus is now back on Wilder and Fury to go out there and act like dedicated, professionals who are willing to put themselves through the mill as much as Joshua has. He took a leap up in regard last night and deserves this moment in the spotlight.

Last edited:

Eire Red United

Disappointed in Joshua last night, if he wants to be seen as a top heavyweight he should have went out to make a statement and spark Ruiz out. Fury or Wilder would embarrass him

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Ruiz let a lot of people down last night, not just himself. There was no reason to self-destruct like that, and why didn't he redirect his hunger into trying to retain those belts with a proper camp rather than into eating and partying?

Prior to the fight, I believed he had put in the effort, but it just goes to show what a well lighted and angled picture or two can do.

There should be nothing but praise for Joshua after tonight - anyone calling it cowardly doesn't seem to grasp what was at stack; the threat of the opponent KO'ing him again and the differential in power in exchanges with Joshua's loss of mass to get himself as mobile as he was as an Olympian.

Joshua put a hell of a lot of work into changing himself, and to do that inside 5 months is a feat in itself. I don't praise the guy much in here, and he is still a stiff, unnatural boxer to me, but he does absolutely everything in his power to be the best fighter he can be and that deserves the utmost respect and kudos.

It is great that the onus is now back on Wilder and Fury to go out there and act like dedicated, professionals who are willing to put themselves through the mill as much as Joshua has. He took a leap up in regard last night and deserves this moment in the spotlight.
Absolutely this

Kazi

Klitscho built his legacy on performances like that.

Play to your strengths
That’s not really Joshua’s strengths though. A more game Ruiz would have caused him serious issues yesterday - Joshua was still there to counter but Ruiz had basically ate so much that his counters were too slow to catch Joshua with.

MalcolmTucker

Disappointed in Joshua last night, if he wants to be seen as a top heavyweight he should have went out to make a statement and spark Ruiz out. Fury or Wilder would embarrass him
Joshua did embarrass him. He won every round bar maybe one. There's absolutely no way Fury knocks out Ruiz.

Kazi

Fury plays with Ruiz for 12 rounds

Wilder Ruiz could be a really fun fight if Ruiz is at his best

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Joshua did embarrass him. He won every round bar maybe one. There's absolutely no way Fury knocks out Ruiz.
Absolutely. Ruiz has a chin and Fury has feather hands. Joshua was able to check him occasionally with some powerful shots which stopped Ruiz being too aggressive. He'd try to walk Fury down as he simply doesn't have that concussive power. Fury would still win comfortably, mind.

Fully Fledged

Yeah. More than a stone heavier I heard.

He can give and take a shot and he's durable.
Imagine what a good strength and conditioning coach could do for his career.
If he could get himself fit he could be a serious contender. With his reach he needs to fight on the front foot not sit back and hope that the opponent will come to him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
That’s not really Joshua’s strengths though. A more game Ruiz would have caused him serious issues yesterday - Joshua was still there to counter but Ruiz had basically ate so much that his counters were too slow to catch Joshua with.
Was more thinking of Kitschco last with that comment but AJ showed last night he has it in his locker.

Saying that im not sure where my money would go when he and Fury square off

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

Wilder has a garbage resume. He’s got one decent name on his record and he was bailed out by the judges in that fight. Not sure where you’re getting the idea that he only fights top guys?
Ruiz is coming off an unimpressive loss. Why would he fight the HW champ next ?

Oggmonster

Ruiz is a joke. Opportunity to be a huge name in boxing and instead decided to eat kebabs for months. Fair fecks to Joshua can only beat what's in front of you not his problem Ruiz didn't take it seriously

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He won’t fight him because he’s a bad style match up for him. Seemingly has a granite chin, has skills and can bang. No upside in that fight for Wilder.
Ruiz is overrated and will probably fade into obscurity now that he has a bit of money to buy the best good and drink life has to offer. Fortunately he had a bit of Buster Douglas luck and managed to prove the AJ hype was also overrated. Wilder’s worst style match up is Fury since it’s the only one where he doesn’t have a reach advantage and the opponent is more than content in pillow fighting him to a 12 round decision.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wilder/Ruiz would be such a fun fight, but there's no way Wilder goes anywhere near it unfortunately.
Same reason someone like AJ won’t fight Ortiz. Wilder, AJ, and Fury each have more important fights ahead with one another.

MalcolmTucker

Same reason someone like AJ won’t fight Ortiz. Wilder, AJ, and Fury each have more important fights ahead with one another.
AJ literally offered a career highest payday to Ortiz to replace Miller but he turned it down and chose to fight Wilder instead.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed. He has it in him, but last night wasn't one of those times when he made an emphatic statement that he is the best.

Classical Mechanic

Ruiz is overrated and will probably fade into obscurity now that he has a bit of money to buy the best good and drink life has to offer. Fortunately he had a bit of Buster Douglas luck and managed to prove the AJ hype was also overrated. Wilder’s worst style match up is Fury since it’s the only one where he doesn’t have a reach advantage and the opponent is more than content in pillow fighting him to a 12 round decision.
You don’t need to be rated to outbox Wilder, you just need to be able to avoid his big shots or soak them up. Ruiz could be that guy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Raoul, you clearly don't like Joshua, and you're not being objective at all because of that.

There's a lot to admire in what he did yesterday, and all is elementary in hindsight, and yet, numerous ex pros, analysts and commentators had it 50/50 pre-fight.

Sweet Square

Super disappointed by the lack of Homer Simpson/Drederick Tatum meems tonight. Is 2019 really so wild that we’ve all just accepted that heavyweight boxing now is watching a super athlete beat a fat lad on points?

Literally spent the whole evening marvelling at the lengths everyone around me was going to to act like this wasn’t low key ridiculous.
Boxing in 2019

Utdstar01

He boxed really well last night did AJ. His leaner physique definitely helped with his movement and agility in the ring. Footwork was much improved. Good to see.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Raoul, you clearly don't like Joshua, and you're not being objective at all because of that.

There's a lot to admire in what he did yesterday, and all is elementary in hindsight, and yet, numerous ex pros, analysts and commentators had it 50/50 pre-fight.
On the contrary, there's a bit of obvious pro-AJ bias here due to the English crowd, who get a bit sensitive when anyone criticizes their guy.

I just want to see a bit more KO power, which I know he has in him. He should've finished Ruiz off after the hook in fight one and I expected him to finish that job last night. He instead opted for safety. It doesn't flatter a world class fighter to fight to not lose instead of taking the fight to his opponent.

MalcolmTucker

I have no idea why he took that fight. Probably the same reason AJ opted to fight a 40 year old Povetkin.
Povetkin was his mandatory so no, different reason.

If AJ rematched Povetkin, then it would be analogous but I don't think AJ would bother with such a pointless fight.

paulscholes18

If he could get himself fit he could be a serious contender. With his reach he needs to fight on the front foot not sit back and hope that the opponent will come to him.
If he got himself fit he would be a cruiserweight and would most likely dominate that division

DoomSlayer

I loved the fight and I thought Joshua showed some world class boxing. The fact is most people are casuals and have no fecking idea what boxing is all about, have probably not trained anything in their life and have no idea what it's like to be in the ring for 12 3-minute rounds against professional killers.

I bet if Ruiz fights Wilder, he would absolutely smash his head in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I loved the fight and I thought Joshua showed some world class boxing. The fact is most people are casuals and have no fecking idea what boxing is all about, have probably not trained anything in their life and have no idea what it's like to be in the ring for 12 3-minute rounds against professional killers.

I bet if Ruiz fights Wilder, he would absolutely smash his head in.
And you have ? So what's it like then ?

DoomSlayer

And you have ? So what's it like then ?
It's fecking tough and only the very best can handle the pressure or discipline required.

Of course I haven't been in 12-rounders, only trained properly when I was in school and it barely lasted 2 years, but I can only imagine how hard it is to keep your body tense for such a long time, especially when these guys weigh so much. Props to Ruiz as well, I think he is an exceptional boxer and the fact he can almost keep up with such a massive body is incredible, that's why he is so dangerous, his speed, resilience is something I've not seen from anyone of this size and proportions.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
On the contrary, there's a bit of obvious pro-AJ bias here due to the English crowd, who get a bit sensitive when anyone criticizes their guy.

I just want to see a bit more KO power, which I know he has in him. He should've finished Ruiz off after the hook in fight one and I expected him to finish that job last night. He instead opted for safety. It doesn't flatter a world class fighter to fight to not lose instead of taking the fight to his opponent.
And if he'd got himself knocked out in an exchange, he would've been slaughtered by fans and pundits alike.

Joshua gave up, what? around 50lbs last night? It would be foolhardy in the extreme for him to plant his feet and try and generate power, even more so knowing from the first fight that this guy can take his best punches at a heavier weight and power differential.

The post-fight notion of Ruiz not being a threat belies the truth.