The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Classical Mechanic

He’s had a good career, but maybe the highlights of his career are the lowlights - Garcia, Canelo KO, Brook.
A bit harsh. The Maidana fight was a classic. A great win against a guy who went on to give Mayweather one of his toughest fights later in his career.

Khan was flawed but great value. You never knew what would happen when he fought. Super fast hands but poor defensively and with a questionable chin.

Abraxas

Good luck to him. I was never a big fan, I felt he should have made that Brook fight a lot earlier and he seemed to have every excuse in the book not to do it. Claiming he had bigger fish to fry when he blatantly did not, and the next fight would contradict him. To me if you're a British fighter and there's a big domestic clash, why would you not want to do it? If you're not even the best in your own country it isn't good for credibility. I think we possibly found out why but that was a major disappointment.

Fair play to him for getting in the ring with the likes of Canelo, even though it was pure folly - it was also brave. Good wins over Maidana and also Devon Alexander was a good fighter. A lot of ups and downs that's for sure.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good luck to him. I was never a big fan, I felt he should have made that Brook fight a lot earlier and he seemed to have every excuse in the book not to do it. Claiming he had bigger fish to fry when he blatantly did not, and the next fight would contradict him. To me if you're a British fighter and there's a big domestic clash, why would you not want to do it? If you're not even the best in your own country it isn't good for credibility. I think we possibly found out why but that was a major disappointment.

Fair play to him for getting in the ring with the likes of Canelo, even though it was pure folly - it was also brave. Good wins over Maidana and also Devon Alexander was a good fighter. A lot of ups and downs that's for sure.
I think earlier in their careers Khan likely would have beaten Brook but it just wasn't going to make him the same money and it was a risk he didn't need to take. To me, honour's even, Brook got his fight and got a terrific win, Khan showed great heart and had a great career. Can't say fairer than that really.

Abraxas

I think earlier in their careers Khan likely would have beaten Brook but it just wasn't going to make him the same money and it was a risk he didn't need to take. To me, honour's even, Brook got his fight and got a terrific win, Khan showed great heart and had a great career. Can't say fairer than that really.
But they've both been around a long, long time. I buy that at some stage Brook wasn't the name. There were opportunities when it didn't make sense but also plenty when it did, especially over the last 5-6 years or so.

Instead they both played it safe and waited until a time when the fight didn't have as much meaning as it should have done. Yes Brook got it eventually but it's always going to be tainted by the idea that it was more a case of who is the least shot rather than greatness. That's the disappointment. You say it yourself, you think Khan would have won at some point, I personally don't but we should have had that answer.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The rivalry never made sense really because Kell was always the naturally bigger fighter. Khan was great at 135, 140. Kell never fought at that weight did he

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
But they've both been around a long, long time. I buy that at some stage Brook wasn't the name. There were opportunities when it didn't make sense but also plenty when it did, especially over the last 5-6 years or so.

Instead they both played it safe and waited until a time when the fight didn't have as much meaning as it should have done. Yes Brook got it eventually but it's always going to be tainted by the idea that it was more a case of who is the least shot rather than greatness. That's the disappointment. You say it yourself, you think Khan would have won at some point, I personally don't but we should have had that answer.
It's not something I'm going to lie awake wondering about tbh. I really enjoyed watching Khan but he's not an all timer is he? Just one of those things really, they put on a great fight when it eventually happened, Brook won fair and square, I'm happy enough with that.

Dan_F

It's not something I'm going to lie awake wondering about tbh. I really enjoyed watching Khan but he's not an all timer is he? Just one of those things really, they put on a great fight when it eventually happened, Brook won fair and square, I'm happy enough with that.
Of course not, but I think we’ve really been spoilt in terms of UK fighters in the last 20 years or so.

In terms of overall talent, he’s right up there with the UK’s best for me. He had a flaw that he could do nothing about, and I could never really understand the people that didn’t like him. In terms of entertainment you’re not going to get much better for your money.

LDUred

I'd forgotten Martin Bakole/Tony Yoka was on and have just watched it back. Another fight to be remembered for the wrong reasons and although no great fight one to be watched to marvel at the stinking corruption on display.

Bakole wins every single round scoring two knockdowns and one judge has the gall to call a draw. I mean the fight finished with Yoka bascially running away and Bakole taunting him -- and one judge decides it's a draw.

It's a disgrace.

A bit harsh. The Maidana fight was a classic. A great win against a guy who went on to give Mayweather one of his toughest fights later in his career.

Khan was flawed but great value. You never knew what would happen when he fought. Super fast hands but poor defensively and with a questionable chin.

Funny example after questioning his chin. Unreal that he stayed on his feet for that entire fight.

You're right obviously but that night his chin was absolutely tremendous.

Classical Mechanic

Funny example after questioning his chin. Unreal that he stayed on his feet for that entire fight.

You're right obviously but that night his chin was absolutely tremendous.
Yes. That’s why is said questionable chin rather than glass jaw. I remember watching that fight and just couldn’t believe that he didn’t touch the canvas. He was out on his feet at points. I suppose Maidana’s crudeness helped. Maidana had a 95% KO record at that point too.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'd forgotten Martin Bakole/Tony Yoka was on and have just watched it back. Another fight to be remembered for the wrong reasons and although no great fight one to be watched to marvel at the stinking corruption on display.

Bakole wins every single round scoring two knockdowns and one judge has the gall to call a draw. I mean the fight finished with Yoka bascially running away and Bakole taunting him -- and one judge decides it's a draw.

It's a disgrace.
I also periodically have that scorecard-related meltdown. In fact, just hearing the final bell is a grim feeling

poleglass red

fair play to Khan, as others have said, he had flaws in his game, but always exciting to watch. Unlike a lot of british fighters he went to America and took on the big names

Abraxas

I think there's a difference between a good chin and decent recovery. Khan has a bad chin but when he's in perfect condition he can survive bad moments due to that and his heart. As long as he isn't knocked clean out with a shot, which has also happened numerous times. Fighters with good chins don't get hurt often so he's never been in that category. Probably not even a mediocre chin considering he had the ability to keep out of the way and use his speed most of the time, but whenever he got caught he was bang in trouble.

Nico87

Joshua wanting to use heckling students as sparring partners doesn’t bode well for his preparations vs Usyk.

LDUred

That was an insane knockout from Joe Cordina in Cardiff. Huge overhand right and possible KO of the year contender.

Hearn will be absolutely buzzing off that and itching to make a fight with Shakur. Hope he gives Joe a bit more time to revel in it because Stevenson is in a class of his own.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
That was an insane knockout from Joe Cordina. Huge overhand right and possible KO of the year contender.

Hearn will be absolutely buzzing off that and will be itching to make a fight with Shakur.
Not seen much of him but was a great ko. Seems a bit old to get his first world title but fair play even though didn’t see much hype about the fight.

LDUred

Not seen much of him but was a great ko. Seems a bit old to get his first world title but fair play even though didn’t see much hype about the fight.
Thinking that Zelfa Barrett is the fight for Joe to take next in a quality UK fight. Stevenson and even Valdez is too big a step up. Hope that Hearn doesn't make him lose his belt after just gaining it. He's a good boxer but not elite level.

tyunited

Haney just beat Kambosos Jr. I didn't score a round for Kambosos but 2 judges had it 116-112.

Deery

Dreary
That didn’t take long The Monster wins in round 2, scary fighter!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Missed it, just. But he’s one of my favourite currently. Great boxer

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah he passed away. They think he had injury before the fight as he was winning the fight comfortably.

Glorio

I don't know that the both played it safe. Brook has been after this fight for ages, Khan has been ducking.

Weird timing I know - I only just got back into the thread and saw this among other posts I'd missed

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why is it at that moment, he looses his bearing? He walked into a punch.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Daniel Dubois up at 11.30 fighting for the WBA ‘regular’ title (whatever that means)

Blast from the past in Don King promoting the ‘champion’