The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Redstain

Said he would have gone for the kill in the last 2 rounds if his corner said he was behind. I think Tyson will be in for a shock when he re-watches the fight his corner too they made a poor judgement with the he's winning narrative.

Zen

Sounds like a dude who's happy to fight for the mega bucks in front of him in the Joshua fight and rematch to me. The 0's gone, nothing to protect anymore.

padzilla

Hipster
Said he would have gone for the kill in the last 2 rounds if his corner said he was behind. I think Tyson will be in for a shock when he re-watches the fight his corner too they made a poor judgement with the he's winning narrative.
There's no way Fury didn't know he needed to step up in those last rounds. At best it was a tight fight and he had just been rocked and taken an 8 count, if they didn't think he needed to push ahead there's something going on.
I think Fury knew he couldn't outbox Usyk and was a bit scared to commit himself. Relied on the jab and uppercut too much.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He was talking about the support

He's talking about the decision and how he thinks he won the fight before and after that comment. It's very clearly about the decision.

TrustInOle

He's talking about the decision and how he thinks he won the fight before and after that comment. It's very clearly about the decision.
Guy has always been classless! Had the chance to clear things up or at least apologize for a horrendously bad take after having his head rocked 20 minutes prior, but chose to do niether.

Parma Dewol

Guy has always been classless! Had the chance to clear things up or at least apologize for a horrendously bad take after having his head rocked 20 minutes prior, but chose to do niether.
That was a shame. What’s said immediately after the fight can always be forgiven because God only knows how their mind and body must be feeling. Would have been nice to clear it up in the press conference as you say, rather than digging in their heels insisting we should be proud of him.

Redstain

That was a shame. What’s said immediately after the fight can always be forgiven because God only knows how their mind and body must be feeling. Would have been nice to clear it up in the press conference as you say, rather than digging in their heels insisting we should be proud of him.
I think it's an emotional roller coaster. Looking at Joshua's post fight comments against Usyk was a full-scale breakdown never seen anything like it in sport. Also recall Adrien Broner of all people saying he cried for 3-4 months on a regular basis after he got demolished by Maidana.

As much as fighters have this warrior mindset etc they are still susceptible to mental obscurities.

Judas

Open to offers
So pleased to see Fury lose after how he's acted last few years, Usyk deserved it. A joke that one of the judges gave it to Fury.

Fully expected it to be a draw seeing as the deal is for two fights, makes a nice change that the correct fighter wins.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think it's an emotional roller coaster. Looking at Joshua's post fight comments against Usyk was a full-scale breakdown never seen anything like it in sport. Also recall Adrien Broner of all people saying he cried for 3-4 months on a regular basis after he got demolished by Maidana.

As much as fighters have this warrior mindset etc they are still susceptible to mental obscurities.
Well yeah, you can't expect boxers to be intellectuals at the best of times. To be fair to Fury, I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't end up doing his ring walk in a ushanka and a Putin mask.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

In fairness, Fury thought it was January 1st as well, so the punches clearly took a toll on his ability to think with clarity.

Parma Dewol

Very good point. We can never underestimate how emotionally draining a fight of that magnitude must be. In this day and age it’s too easy to start picking apart everything that’s said or done, and that would unnecessarily detract from what was ultimately a tremendous boxing match.

Castia

No idea what Fury’s corner was thinking. He was clearly losing and they’re telling him he’s 1 round from undisputed? He needed to go for the kill in the 11th and 12th and just ran out the fight possibly thinking he had done enough? Bizarre

Making a Netflix reality show and doing boxing exhibitions against MMA fighters is ridiculous for Tyson. Lose 1-2% at this high level and it shows

Zen

Making a Netflix reality show and doing boxing exhibitions against MMA fighters is ridiculous for Tyson. Lose 1-2% at this high level and it shows
To be fair to him, he lost far more than 1-2% in putting all the weight on, mental issues and return in his initial comeback build up to Wilder.... and obviously managed to comeback, plenty of reason to have belief in himself from that in weird circumstances, even if Wilder is just a load of tomato cans, Parker(which he lost comfortably) and the Fury trilogy(which he pretty much lost all 3, comfortably).

I think he'll comeback for more fights, but it's hard to know where he's genuine desire will be, for some, a lot comes from protecting that 0.... once it's gone, it's gone, does the desire go with it?

TrustInOle

Usyk made the presser and just blows my mind how such a heart warming guy can become such a killer once he is inside the ring!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just seen Drake bet half a million on Fury, wish I'd known this before the fight, that dude is a worse bettor than the guys in the betting thread on here.

Fury was always gonna lose once that bet was placed.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't have a problem with the close scorecard. I had Usyk first round, even round 2, Fury the next 4, Usyk the next 4 (with the knock down), Fury the 11th and even in the 12th. Usyk by one or two points. But Fury shouldn't have been given a W on any of the scorecards, perhaps a draw if you've given him the close rounds.
In the early rounds he was toying with Usyk and using his jab and size to mess with him and have a little fun.

The broken nose changed it all, then his corner clearly lied to him.
Agree with you both. Amazed some here haven’t seen that as a close fight. I honestly thought it was going to be a draw by the end.

Things went bad for Fury when his nose went. I suspect it’s badly broken.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In a way it would be sad to see but probably the optimal path for both of them is to retire at this point.

Usyk has done all he could have, he's now comfortably an all timer heavy and even an all time pound for pounder and no other person fighting right now could reasonably enhance his standing in the game of at all plus while he still performs at high level age catches to all, one could see the allure of retiring with such a pristine resume unblemished.

As for fury he did show he really was up to it and perhaps in another world where he wasn't short of motivation his and usyk's place would be reversed and while he did show up I do think he's on his way down durability wise and will be worth it for him to finally get knocker down?

The best future fight for both would be a rematch, fury could take one with Joshua as to finally settle that one, both have now made plenty but ultimately there's away more to make.

Pscholes18

He comes off a decent guy at times but this just bellends statements, I mean is he trying to build up the rematch already? What a cnut.

LDUred

Thought that Fury boxed well overall and it was a high quality fight.

Scored the fight 7-5 in Usyk's favour and felt that Usyk clearly won.

But it was the toughest fight Usyk's been in at heavyweight and for seven rounds it was interesting.

Think Fury's engine may have gone. Slowed down, got clipped.

Last edited:

Glorio

Agree with you both. Amazed some here haven’t seen that as a close fight. I honestly thought it was going to be a draw by the end.

Things went bad for Fury when his nose went. I suspect it’s badly broken.
For me there was no question Usyk one the first 3 - showboating doesn't change that. Usyk probably landed double the amount of punches Fury did if not more in those 3 and was setting the pace.
Fury took over on the next 3, after that it was Usyk until the 12th where I have to hand it to Fury, he found a second wind and I wouldn't complain if he won that round

LDUred

For me there was no question Usyk one the first 3 - showboating doesn't change that. Usyk probably landed double the amount of punches Fury did if not more in those 3 and was setting the pace.
Fury took over on the next 3, after that it was Usyk until the 12th where I have to hand it to Fury, he found a second wind and I wouldn't complain if he won that round
The early rounds were quite close and difficult to score.

The main thing is that Fury was boxing off the back foot and Usyk was cutting off the ring well, so for ring generalship, Usyk looked more in control. But then Fury started timing Usyk as he came in from about R3 onwards, until he got hurt at the end of R8.

But it wasn't obvious for me that Usyk won all those rounds. He did the better work in R1 and 2, but three I gave to Fury.

I felt round 11 was closer than round 12 which I gave to Usyk. I leant to Usyk in round 11 as well.

For me it was 4 possibly 5 rounds to Fury. He did pretty well in the first half of the fight up until (I think) the end of R8 where he got clipped (in a round he had been winning).

F-Red

Who does Usyk fight now, its a weird place the HW scene, maybe the Chinese lad ?

I mean Fury might want a rematch of course
Unless Usyk thinks a rematch is a must and wants to follow their agreement, he would most likely retire. He’s got nothing else to achieve in boxing now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The commentator on DAZN said that it was round 9 that Usyk turned the fight vs. Joshua and that this was atypical of something he'd do. Sure enough he went onto see it out. Don't think that's coincidence, whether or not Fury got complacent, Usyk is a late fight finisher in general. There was always the likelihood that he'd finish strong.
TBF we are trying to understand Fury who is a complete wildcard at the best of times. I think even when he was fighting well he was a little shocked by Usyk, I imagine he was especially shocked that it hurt when he got hit.
There were two particular shots that really turned the momentum of the fight, I think. The one that possibly broke(?) Fury's nose (that really bothered him for the remainder of the fight) and the one that cut him. I think Fury felt he had the measure of Usyk and especially his power prior to that point and put himself in harm's way both expectant that he was in control anyway and that he could handle anything being thrown at him. It came at point when he should have been looking to press home his advantage and keep Usyk preoccupied with staying in the fight.

The swing from that moment when Fury was really surprised that his, by-then prey, had so much left in him, was massive.

It didn't look to me like Usyk was going to turn the tide back in his favour before Fury let him back in the fight, but it's credit to Usyk that he turned a small window of opportunity into a genuine momentum shift - the coming on strong in the latter rounds doesn't happen if Fury had not indulged in that hubris, for me, but who knows? Usyk's heart was tremendous in that fight anyway, so he would have gone for it with every he had regardless, and evidently, he had the power to hurt Fury if he caught him. A 10-8 round and a subsequent recovery round is just a massive shift in a fight and it'd would have been 'better' to see that come about without Fury being a component in his own demise, for me. And that's not taking anything away from Usyk, who, biggest credit I can give, looked like a product of a more elite era (70's, 90's) in there with his heart, determination and ability to cease an opportunity - that's the first time I've thought someone from this era could go back to either setting and actually compete.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The early rounds were quite close and difficult to score.

The main thing is that Fury was boxing off the back foot and Usyk was cutting off the ring well, so for ring generalship, Usyk looked more in control. But then Fury started timing Usyk as he came in from about R3 onwards, until he got hurt at the end of R8.

But it wasn't obvious for me that Usyk won all those rounds. He did the better work in R1 and 2, but three I gave to Fury.

I felt round 11 was closer than round 12 which I gave to Usyk. I leant to Usyk in round 11 as well.

For me it was 4 possibly 5 rounds to Fury. He did pretty well in the first half of the fight up until (I think) the end of R8 where he got clipped (in a round he had been winning).
Similar for me. Usyk 1 and 2; Fury 3, 4, 5, 6 and thought he was in control until that shot to nose bridge really turned the fight.