Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
:eek:

Blasphemy! I adore Generals & Zero Hour.

How can anybody not find popping up in the enemy base with a bunch of bomb trucks entertaining as hell.
Nowhere near as fun as some stonking fit woman calling you commander.

So cheesy, and you get a chick at the end, woo!

I'd just turned 12 when I got Red Alert 2. Needless to say, my mind woke up a bit :lol:

Thanks, think I'll go for that then then. Any you'd reccomend?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-C24FG70-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01LN1QSQY

Recommended by multiple websites as being one of (if not) the best 1080p/144hz monitors you can buy.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone here care to help me about something regarding my gaming PC ?
Ask away o/ Worst thing that can happen is no sod knows the answer, but if someone does, I'm sure they'll help.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Nowhere near as fun as some stonking fit woman calling you commander.
:lol: Nothing quite as cheesy as a C&C cutscene, is there.

The fecking demolition General on zero hour with the best quote of all time: 'Hmmm, it's quiet out there general, you know what quiet means right? BOOOOOOM!'

Honestly they must have had an absolute ball in the writing room.

el3mel

Ask away o/ Worst thing that can happen is no sod knows the answer, but if someone does, I'm sure they'll help.
That's what I'm expecting. :D

Anyway it's not that hard of a question. Last few days I have noticed that whenever I play a game, it plays well for 1-2 hours max before crashing. I noticed that the CPU temp reaches ridiculous numbers during this 1-2 hours, like 99 and even 100. I suppose this is the reason the CPU couldn't handle this and crashes the game to save itself from serious damage. I just don't understand why this is happening now, I have been using this CPU for over 4 years and this is the first time to happen.

I'm worried about CPU getting damaged already from reaching this heat. I'm already planning now to get a cooler, I'll get Thermaltake contac 9 but I'm not sure if this gonna solve the whole problem or should I invest money in another CPU. The current one is I5-4440.

Another thing is the boot system is on HDD which is pretty old. Was thinking that by the way since I'm gonna buy things for the PC that I get a SSD, install it with the current HDD and install the windows on it to fasten the PC a little bit. Should I go on ?

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: Nothing quite as cheesy as a C&C cutscene, is there.

The fecking demolition General on zero hour with the best quote of all time: 'Hmmm, it's quiet out there general, you know what quiet means right? BOOOOOOM!'

Honestly they must have had an absolute ball in the writing room.
Had been the saddest word :( Westwood were gods... Sad times.

That's what I'm expecting. :D

Anyway it's not that hard of a question. Last few days I have noticed that whenever I play a game, it plays well for 1-2 hours max before crashing. I noticed that the CPU temp reaches ridiculous numbers during this 1-2 hours, like 99 and even 100. I suppose this is the reason the CPU couldn't handle this and crashes the game to save itself from serious damage. I just don't understand why this is happening now, I have been using this CPU for over 4 years and this is the first time to happen.

I'm worried about CPU getting damaged already from reaching this heat. I'm already planning now to get a cooler, I'll get Thermaltake contac 9 but I'm not sure if this gonna solve the whole problem or should I invest money in another CPU. The current one is I5-4440.

Another thing is the boot system is on HDD which is pretty old. Was thinking that by the way since I'm gonna buy things for the PC that I get a SSD, install it with the current HDD and install the windows on it to fasten the PC a little bit. Should I go on ?
Probably a daft question, but how hot is it in Egypt right now? :D If you have heating on inside your house, make sure your PC is away from it. Also, you mentioned nothing about cleaning it... How often do you get some compressed air & just give your system a deep clean? A new CPU cooler will definitely help over a stock intel one, as there's no way a 4440 should be pushing those numbers without extreme circumstances.

Best way to go about installing an SSD would be to back up everything on your HDD, & then install Windows fresh on your SSD after you've done all the upgrades you want to do. Then, reinstall your HDD if you want to, and just use it as a second drive. For an SSD, just look for whatever Samsung Evo fits your storage needs, really.

el3mel

Probably a daft question, but how hot is it in Egypt right now? :D If you have heating on inside your house, make sure your PC is away from it. Also, you mentioned nothing about cleaning it... How often do you get some compressed air & just give your system a deep clean? A new CPU cooler will definitely help over a stock intel one, as there's no way a 4440 should be pushing those numbers without extreme circumstances.

Best way to go about installing an SSD would be to back up everything on your HDD, & then install Windows fresh on your SSD after you've done all the upgrades you want to do. Then, reinstall your HDD if you want to, and just use it as a second drive. For an SSD, just look for whatever Samsung Evo fits your storage needs, really.
We're currently in winter, so the temp at best is 17-20c. We're still mid December so it'll get even colder starting from Jan onward. It's not a daft question as in summer it reaches ridiculous heat here up to 35-37c but that's why I prefer gaming in winter.

I have to say I don't clean it from inside much, probably once every year or though. I think that can be part of the problem too. I think the case over all is poorly cooled, I have only the back fan and GPU fan. The side fan isn't even working, so I thought to get a CPU cooler to lessen this problem. Thought about getting a new case as well but I'm trying to decrease financial burdens as much as possible.

Thanks for the instructions about SSD. Will do this.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
We're currently in winter, so the temp at best is 17-20c. We're still mid December so it'll get even colder starting from Jan onward. It's not a daft question as in summer it reaches ridiculous heat here up to 35-37c but that's why I prefer gaming in winter.

I have to say I don't clean it from inside much, probably once every year or though. I think that can be part of the problem too. I think the case over all is poorly cooled, I have only the back fan and GPU fan. The side fan isn't even working, so I thought to get a CPU cooler to lessen this problem. Thought about getting a new case as well but I'm trying to decrease financial burdens as much as possible.

Thanks for the instructions about SSD. Will do this.
1 year doesn't seem like anywhere near enough, and the lack of an intake fan is also not good. Also, if your case is restricted in anyway (like, if it's in a desk & covered at all sides, or you have stuff ontop of it), then clear all that stuff out of the way. If you do all that, & keep it away from sources of extreme heat, I'll be surprised if you see it go over 80, even on the stock cooler.

I understand the want to keep costs low, but good fans last for years (I believe Noctua's have a 7 year warranty), & can drastically extend the life of your PC components. It's a spend-to-save kinda scheme that I recommend everyone does.

el3mel

1 year doesn't seem like anywhere near enough, and the lack of an intake fan is also not good. Also, if your case is restricted in anyway (like, if it's in a desk & covered at all sides, or you have stuff ontop of it), then clear all that stuff out of the way. If you do all that, & keep it away from sources of extreme heat, I'll be surprised if you see it go over 80, even on the stock cooler.

I understand the want to keep costs low, but good fans last for years (I believe Noctua's have a 7 year warranty), & can drastically extend the life of your PC components. It's a spend-to-save kinda scheme that I recommend everyone does.
Thanks about these instructions. Are you suggesting getting another case with more fans + the cooler ? I think the cooler + case + SSD can be all about 2000-2500 LE. I can handle this but that means I won't invest in a new CPU. If so any suggestions of a good case ?

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks about these instructions. Are you suggesting getting another case with more fans + the cooler ? I think the cooler + case + SSD can be all about 2000-2500 LE. I can handle this but that means I won't invest in a new CPU. If so any suggestions of a good case ?
Depends what case you currently have. If you're unsure of what it is, can you show us some pictures with the side off? You might have a decent case that just needs some extra fans added to it, plus I wanna see how dusty it is :D

I really like the Coolermaster HAF series for air-cooled cases, although there's really so many options nowadays. I've always been one to favour performance over aesthetic though, so I'm probably not the person to ask if you want something that actually looks good.

el3mel

Depends what case you currently have. If you're unsure of what it is, can you show us some pictures with the side off? You might have a decent case that just needs some extra fans added to it, plus I wanna see how dusty it is :D

I really like the Coolermaster HAF series for air-cooled cases, although there's really so many options nowadays. I've always been one to favour performance over aesthetic though, so I'm probably not the person to ask if you want something that actually looks good.
Sorry, took my some time to get any decent picture of the place. It's Zalman Z9 Plus. Here's the view :

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Sorry, took my some time to get any decent picture of the place. It's Zalman Z9 Plus. Here's the view :

That case is perfectly fine for air cooling. Just get some decent fans (Noctua are my preferred) & you'll notice a big improvement.

el3mel

Also, use better thermal paste.
Was it a pre built machine? If you did it yourself, maybe the paste wasn't done very well
Not a pre built, usually in these things I buy all the components and let a computer shop install it together for a price.

el3mel

That case is perfectly fine for air cooling. Just get some decent fans (Noctua are my preferred) & you'll notice a big improvement.
Thanks a lot ! In this case I'm gonna handle this financially completely fine if I'm just gonna get a cooler + SSD + 1 or 2 more fans. Shouldn't be a problem.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks a lot ! In this case I'm gonna handle this financially completely fine if I'm just gonna get a cooler + SSD + 1 or 2 more fans. Shouldn't be a problem.
You're in for a treat with the SSD :D Enjoy.

el3mel

You're in for a treat with the SSD :D Enjoy.
They usually cost here about 500-1000LE as far as I'm concerned. The cooler is usually 700-800LE. I don't know how are these in $ since the Egyptian pound has already collapsed a long time ago. 1$ now equals about 15LE. :lol:

el3mel

This.

If you are going to upgrade your cooling, crack the cpu and thermal paste it properly yourself. It's amazing how often that is overlooked.
Thanks. I'm surely gonna check this out since the PC will be opened anyway to install the cooler.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Question of my own now :D My Steam Link is getting retired now I have a good device for the Steam Link App, but that also means I need a wireless controller.

What controller d'ya recommend for an Android tablet? I could crack out the Steam Controller, but I'm not sure I want to...

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
1 day, 19 hours, 34 minutes to go. Zzzzzz.

el3mel

@Tommy Finished that case job today. What I did was a CPU cooler + another fan instead of the unworking side fan and installed the windows on SSD with HDD as secondary drive. Difference looks obvious before starting to game, the CPU temp was on 45-50 without doing anything, not it's nearly 27-30.

Thanks a lot for your help. :D

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
@Tommy Finished that case job today. What I did was a CPU cooler + another fan instead of the unworking side fan and installed the windows on SSD with HDD as secondary drive. Difference looks obvious before starting to game, the CPU temp was on 45-50 without doing anything, not it's nearly 27-30.

Thanks a lot for your help. :D
Glad it worked out :D Now you can join the rest of us in spending the rest of your annual budget on the Steam sale tomorrow.

el3mel

Glad it worked out :D Now you can join the rest of us in spending the rest of your annual budget on the Steam sale tomorrow.
I usually try to get at least one game in these sales either on Steam or PSN for PS4 so that I don't regret later. The last black Friday I got Fifa19 for PS4 for half the price. Still thinking what I would get this time. :lol:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

5 minutes!

(And about 65 until the store works).

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best visually designed games I've played but its just sooo boring.
2 hours in you have a fair idea in where the Story is heading.The combat is cumbersome and the lead character is as dull as dishwater.
But,again, its looks and sounds great.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Annnnd the sale... Is naturally underwhelming. Some of the games I held off on in the Autumn sale are actually more expensive in the Winter sale :lol: That's not how this usually works, damnit!

el3mel

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best visually designed games I've played but its just sooo boring.
2 hours in you have a fair idea in where the Story is heading.The combat is cumbersome and the lead character is as dull as dishwater.
Don't comment on a game based on 2 hours and no, the story is completely unexpected.

If we rate games from first hours I would have honestly thrown Red Dead Redemption 2 to the nearest garbage can based on chapter 1 but here I'm now having a blast.

lawliet354

Between PSVR and Nintendo Switch, which one is more fun to play with friends and family? Usually PES or FIFA is my go to game to play with friends, looking for another game to play with family

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I thought the story was surprisingly great. I remember I made the thread on here for it and posted how the trailer for the story was quite dull and dampened my expectations but it definitely pulled me in. Really liked Aloy too. And it's the best bow combat in any game I've played.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I thought the story was surprisingly great. I remember I made the thread on here for it and posted how the trailer for the story was quite dull and dampened my expectations but it definitely pulled me in. Really liked Aloy too. And it's the best bow combat in any game I've played.
Completely agree - loved the combat in this. Switching between all the different weapons in the middle of a skirmish is brilliantly executed in my opinion - and it makes a real difference using the right weapon against the right machine.

Absolutely brilliant game!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Between PSVR and Nintendo Switch, which one is more fun to play with friends and family? Usually PES or FIFA is my go to game to play with friends, looking for another game to play with family
Smash/Kart/Party is a pretty hard multiplayer line up to ignore. PSVR is cool, though... Does the PSVR have "Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes"? Because that game is incredible.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, it does.
Then it's a hard choice. If you're playing with folks of all ages, from young kids down to oldies, then the Switch is what I'd go for... If you're playing with mostly matured gamers, the Switch is probably still what I'd go for, but that game alone is worth owning a VR headset for if you have people that can get into it.

Maybe I was being abit harsh regarding the story of HZD but I was a step-ahead with certain elements,which I dont like being.I generally like to be surprised.

I completed the main story a couple of weeks ago and since then I've pretty much given up on the game.Nothing is telling me to go back and complete the likely 100's of silly side quests.

Which leads me onto,and something that would seem like another unpopular opinion ;) , the fact that certain games seem overly long nowadays.
There could be a argument for having too much content in games now.

el3mel

Maybe I was being abit harsh regarding the story of HZD but I was a step-ahead with certain elements,which I dont like being.I generally like to be surprised.

I completed the main story a couple of weeks ago and since then I've pretty much given up on the game.Nothing is telling me to go back and complete the likely 100's of silly side quests.

Which leads me onto,and something that would seem like another unpopular opinion ;) , the fact that certain games seem overly long nowadays.
There could be a argument for having too much content in games now.
If I'm investing $60 in a game I'll surely want a one that will satisfy paying such price, which means long with too much content. I won't pay much for a game that doesn't last 5 days even if it has good reviews. That's one of the reasons I didn't buy Detroit, felt like I'll play if for few days, finish the story then what ? nothing but repeating it again.