Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, I knew earlier that Control and Alan Wake are supposed to be set in the same universe, which was a cool move by Remedy. That's why I ultimately wanted to play Alan Wake so that I get the full package.
Do AN before the DLC. IIRC it's not directly referenced much, but I think the main bad is.

It's not very long either, well not that I recall anyway.

el3mel

Do AN before the DLC. IIRC it's not directly referenced much, but I think the main bad is.

It's not very long either, well not that I recall anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely put it in mind when I play them.

Redlambs

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely put it in mind when I play them.
Quantum Break is £7.49 at the moment on Steam too. I've not played it myself yet as it seems like a much weaker Control, but it may well end up tying into the Universe going forward if MS let it.

I might give it a look anyway for that price.

el3mel

Quantum Break is £7.49 at the moment on Steam too. I've not played it myself yet as it seems like a much weaker Control, but it may well end up tying into the Universe going forward if MS let it.

I might give it a look anyway for that price.
Control is pretty much Quantum Break done right. It improved over a lot of its aspects, but it's still a pretty fun game, and the super powers are fun. The TV show episodes in between the chapters were insomnia curing though, didn't enjoy them one bit.

Redlambs

Control is pretty much Quantum Break done right. It improved over a lot of its aspects, but it's still a pretty fun game, and the super powers are fun. The TV show episodes in between the chapters were insomnia curing though, didn't enjoy them one bit.
Seems to be the general consensus, cheers mate. I think I'll play it anyway as I do like the idea they are going for with the Marvel-style expanded universe thing. It seems the doors in the motel in Control may be the link between all upcoming Remedy games eventually, which each of them being AWES.

Interesting idea.

el3mel

Seems to be the general consensus, cheers mate. I think I'll play it anyway as I do like the idea they are going for with the Marvel-style expanded universe thing. It seems the doors in the motel in Control may be the link between all upcoming Remedy games eventually, which each of them being AWES.

Interesting idea.
Enjoy. Hope you have a fun time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Guys which would you recommend between the following?
- Immortal Phoenix Rising
- Jedi Knight Fallen Order
- Outer WORLDS

None is really standing out for me but I want something to play alongside Sekiro which is just phenomenal.

The one I really wanted to play was Disco Elysium but no discount yet. Tempted to go for Hollow Knight but again want to wait for a price drop as I've already played half the game on a laptop

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
- Outer WORLDS

None is really standing out for me but I want something to play alongside Sekiro which is just phenomenal.
I’ve only played Outer Worlds but had a lot of fun with it. A lot of choice in terms of story and dialogue.

caid

- Outer WORLDS

The one I really wanted to play was Disco Elysium but no discount yet. Tempted to go for Hollow Knight but again want to wait for a price drop as I've already played half the game on a laptop
I felt like Fallen Order was a decent ish souls clone. I'd say a direct comparison with a FROM game would do it very few favours. Skip that one for another time imo

amolbhatia50k

Yeah miles better than that. I think it’s the same studio that did Fallout New Vegas, Obsidian maybe?
I did like Fallout 3 so maybe I'd like this one. I've just heard the shooting/gameplay is very basic.
I felt like Fallen Order was a decent ish souls clone. I'd say a direct comparison with a FROM game would do it very few favours. Skip that one for another time imo
Yeah I know it's more story driven than FromSoft games but it'll just feel so inferior in the core combat after Sekiro. Actually thinking of going back to DS3 on the side along with whatever I buy

AaronRedDevil

- Outer WORLDS

Jedi fallen order 100%. It's a brilliant game.

AaronRedDevil

Darn it, I had pretty much decided on Outer Worlds. Combat and Star Wars stuff aside where do you think Jedi Fallen Order shines?
The characters are very good and memorable. Lightsaber fight isn't hard at all but it's soooo satisfying. And there's some great moments in the game. Especially the end, it's one of the best star wars moments I've ever had in a game. Plus the levels and locations are well laid out and lovely to look at. Almost everything about this game is really good. I've played outer worlds too, which is a decent game. Fallen order is better imo.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
- Outer WORLDS

I’ve also only played Outer Worlds. To be honest its a tad overrated. The dialogue options are great but the gameplay is really really poor. Guns are so unsatisfying and I just couldn’t get past that after 10 or so hours. If you just prefer sticking to a decent narrative then you’ll probably enjoy it. I reckon immortal Pheonix Rising is the pick of those games without playing them.

One to consider is Rage 2. I’m currently playing it on PS Now (£8 for a month) and the combat is brilliant. Kind of a mad max vibe. No idea if you’ve played the previous Rage game (or this one for that matter) but it’s a fun time filler game with wacky characters and fun combat.

amolbhatia50k

I’ve also only played Outer Worlds. To be honest its a tad overrated. The dialogue options are great but the gameplay is really really poor. Guns are so unsatisfying and I just couldn’t get past that after 10 or so hours. If you just prefer sticking to a decent narrative then you’ll probably enjoy it. I reckon immortal Pheonix Rising is the pick of those games without playing them.

One to consider is Rage 2. I’m currently playing it on PS Now (£8 for a month) and the combat is brilliant. Kind of a mad max vibe. No idea if you’ve played the previous Rage game (or this one for that matter) but it’s a fun time filler game with wacky characters and fun combat.
Gone for OW. Wanted something easy going to play alongside Sekiro. And Fall Order has taken a lot from its gameplay with the emphasis on parry etc so would have felt samey/inferior. Hope I do like it, at least it was cheap!

Redlambs

Darn it, I had pretty much decided on Outer Worlds. Combat and Star Wars stuff aside where do you think Jedi Fallen Order shines?
Fallen Order is alright, but it's way too soon after Sekiro to try. All it's flaws (and it has plenty, though I will say mainly to do with being a mishmash of game types more than anything) will stand out massively back to back with that game, plus you will get bored of the level design.

Try it down the line after a few other games, it's worth a play through and you'll have a chance of enjoying it more without a fresh comparison.

amolbhatia50k

Fallen Order is alright, but it's way too soon after Sekiro to try. All it's flaws (and it has plenty, though I will say mainly to do with being a mishmash of game types more than anything) will stand out massively back to back with that game, plus you will get bored of the level design.

Try it down the line after a few other games, it's worth a play through and you'll have a chance of enjoying it more without a fresh comparison.
Cheers. I don't care for the SW setting so it's never been a game that's lured me. I'll probably give it a go after awhile like you recommend IF it's available on a good discount.

Redlambs

Cheers. I don't care for the SW setting so it's never been a game that's lured me. I'll probably give it a go after awhile like you recommend IF it's available on a good discount.
Oh yeah, then it's really not going to be worth it for you unless it's on a heavy discount. The SW license is really what makes this game anything to take note of, without that most wouldn't have even thought about.

I will say though, if they really do improve on the core Jedi gameplay aspects (the combat was ok, just needs depth, but the powers suck in both amount and implementation) and drop trying to copy every game in existence (that they clearly didn't understand what made them tick), a sequel could really be a great game. There's enough promise, just kind of meh implementation on the first one.

amolbhatia50k

Oh yeah, then it's really not going to be worth it for you unless it's on a heavy discount. The SW license is really what makes this game anything to take note of, without that most wouldn't have even thought about.

I will say though, if they really do improve on the core Jedi gameplay aspects (the combat was ok, just needs depth, but the powers suck in both amount and implementation) and drop trying to copy every game in existence (that they clearly didn't understand what made them tick), a sequel could really be a great game. There's enough promise, just kind of meh implementation on the first one.
I do hope I like the game I've just bought instead of it Outer Worlds :nervous:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Fixed for you. Now feck off back to the MS thread with this shite before @Damien gives you the Veeva treatment.
Rude :eek:

In other news - I started DOOM (2016) last night, which is very DOOM (2016), as you would expect.

I first played DOOM (2016) on the PS4 and apparently DOOM (2016) ran at 60fps then but I feel it plays better on these new consoles. I'm led to believe DOOM (2016) has been optimised in some way.

Playing DOOM (2016) with a good headset is a joy.

amolbhatia50k

In other news - I started DOOM (2016) last night, which is very DOOM (2016), as you would expect.

I first played DOOM (2016) on the PS4 and apparently DOOM (2016) ran at 60fps then but I feel it plays better on these new consoles. I'm led to believe DOOM (2016) has been optimised in some way.

DOOM was fun. I couldn't be bothered to finish the last few levels but while I did play it, was a blast. And it's a bit unsettling to play a game on PS4 at around 60Fps :lol:

Siorac

I do hope I like the game I've just bought instead of it Outer Worlds :nervous:
I enjoyed it but don't be surprised that it's somewhat short. Don't go looking for another Fallout: New Vegas, this is a much more compact game, with fewer choices and options. Lovely setting and plenty of humour with competent gameplay.

Redlambs

Yeah DOOM (2016) Is great fun. Awesome on VR too.

Bosws87

Completed Halo 1 & Halo 2 of the Master Chief Collection started 3 but its not been remade so looks worse then the other two also just had enough of Halo in general.

Will say though the second one is the best of the series from what i've played and remember of the others the leap in quality and budget compared to the 1st one is huge.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Platinum #22 - Ratchet & Clank (2016) (PS4)

What a stupid time for the Platinum trophy to trigger. Looking forward to playing Rift Apart... eventually.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Platinum #22 - Ratchet & Clank (2016) (PS4)

What a stupid time for the Platinum trophy to trigger. Looking forward to playing Rift Apart... eventually.
Any tips on Dr Nefarious? For some reason I just can beat the fecker. I can get him stunned to the supernova twice but that third time,I ran out of amp and he’s laying all the magnetic mines and the purple heat seeking ufo things … my joypad nearly went out the window last night.

Damien

Staff
Any tips on Dr Nefarious? For some reason I just can beat the fecker. I can get him stunned to the supernova twice but that third time,I ran out of amp and he’s laying all the magnetic mines and the purple heat seeking ufo things … my joypad nearly went out the window last night.
I'm struggling to remember the original fight as I beat him on the 14th June. The replay on challenge mode is a joke with the cheats and maxed weapons.

I do remember leaning heavily into the buzz blades and warmonger weapons along with Zurkon... and there was a lot of flying around. What difficulty setting are you on? You could always lower it if you continue to struggle. It did take me a bit of work to do but only wish I could remember it more so I could be more help. The replay on challenge mode with the maxed weapons was nice... apart from having to make a list of every enemy to hit with the groovitron

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm struggling to remember the original fight as I beat him on the 14th June. The replay on challenge mode is a joke with the cheats and maxed weapons.

I do remember leaning heavily into the buzz blades and warmonger weapons along with Zurkon... and there was a lot of flying around. What difficulty setting are you on? You could always lower it if you continue to struggle. It did take me a bit of work to do but only wish I could remember it more so I could be more help. The replay on challenge mode with the maxed weapons was nice... apart from having to make a list of every enemy to hit with the groovitron
Yeah, looking forward to going through again. Just got the groovitron trophy, the challenge mode trophy, the two hoverboard trophies (agonisingly close to one of them and gave up in a huff) and a few others, I’ll do it though.

So surprised at how much I’ve loved playing though. No idea why I’ve avoided playing them, so much fun.

Can’t bring myself to pay full whack for Rift Apart but I’ll definitely be getting it.

Damien

Staff
Yeah, looking forward to going through again. Just got the groovitron trophy, the challenge mode trophy, the two hoverboard trophies (agonisingly close to one of them and gave up in a huff) and a few others, I’ll do it though.

So surprised at how much I’ve loved playing though. No idea why I’ve avoided playing them, so much fun.

Can’t bring myself to pay full whack for Rift Apart but I’ll definitely be getting it.
:lol: We'll probably be here in about four years posting about it.

For the Groovitron one, I'm guessing you know about this video? Follow it and get the purple birds at the top of the waterfall on Pokitaru and you won't miss it.

Hoverboard trophies will be fairly straightforward if you have all gold bolts and activate invincibility mode. Once I found the shortcuts on the races I got the trophies after a few goes.

I loved playing the original R&C as a kid. So much so that I bought the 2016 game as soon as it was released. Just stopped playing it part way through for some reason and only got back to it now (after it's been released for free :lol:)