Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

ChrisNelson

Birds Of Prey (Harley Quinn) (2020)

This was a decent film with some funny moments, but as per some of the reviews the plot just gets carried away with itself and you have to really concentrate to stay on top of things. I would say there is scope for improvement in the future of the franchise. 7/10

Underwater (2020)

This was a very underwhelming film. There's nothing particularly wrong with the acting but half of the time you simply can't see what's going on, it's too dark.

It's also a little too predictable for my liking, the plot lines become clear way ahead of when they happen.

I think the idea for the film as a simple disaster movie could work really well, but the way they have made it just doesn't work for me. 4.5/10

muller

Birds Of Prey (Harley Quinn) (2020)
I've heard similar from quite a few people. Another thing there's no consensus on.. just how hot was Harley Quinn in this one..? Asking for a friend.. Well.. a friends friend.

...Me.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ford Vs Ferrari. An earnest attempt to tell the story of Ken Miles, engineer and race car driver who actually led Ford to a historic Le Mans victory over the seemingly invincible Ferrari team. Christian Bale, as Ken Miles of course amazes. Intense racing scenes but dialogue could have been better. 7/10.
I know the ending now :(

AaronRedDevil

I've heard similar from quite a few people. Another thing there's no consensus on.. just how hot was Harley Quinn in this one..? Asking for a friend.. Well.. a friends friend.

...Me.
If anything they made her more covered up but her actions in the movie made her more attractive hah. She's fecking just.....god damn!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Downsizing (2017)

Available on Netflix. Downsizing is a bit of a mixed bag really. Part black comedy, part sci-fi, part social satire but in the end just a pretty decent movie. It follows the story of Paul Safranek (Matt Damon) who literally leaves the big world behind to downsize to a better quality of life as a little person, years after the process of shrinking stuff to 1/2744th of its original size has been perfected. However, the trouble with us humans is we just can't help screwing things up. It's a sad indictment on mankind that whenever they're presented with a chance to make the world a better place they invariably cock up. It also doesn't take long for any breakthroughs in science to be misused and even with the best intentions we just eventually revert to type. But these types of movies invariably have some form of socio-political message so don't let that spoil things for you.

The director does a great job in creating a believable miniature community but you may struggle trying to get your head around the logistics and practicality of co-existing alongside the regular folk. Although the film does offer some explanations along the way, wisely it avoids getting too bogged down with the detail. It's certainly more interesting focusing on the human dynamic as more and more people 'downsize' and create a whole new set of moral dilemmas. Yes, here's a new way in which we can form prejudices and intolerance. We just don't deal with diversity very well do we?

Still, the film has a great cast, great dialogue with some very touching and funny moments and a stand out performance by Hong Chau as the Vietnamese activist who basically carries the second half of the movie. She deservedly received a Golden Globe nomination for her performance and rightly so. She was just so damned cute with her feisty temperament and broken English. Breaking down the 8 types of American fecking was just glorious.

Downsizing is a film that invests heavily in the characters and its social commentary themes of which there are many but it also works on a more basic level if you just want to be entertained for a couple of hours.

I'm giving this a 7/10.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Downsizing (2017)

Available on Netflix. Downsizing is a bit of a mixed bag really. Part black comedy, part sci-fi, part social satire but in the end just a pretty decent movie. It follows the story of Paul Safranek (Matt Damon) who literally leaves the big world behind to downsize to a better quality of life as a little person, years after the process of shrinking stuff to 1/2744th of its original size has been perfected. However, the trouble with us humans is we just can't help screwing things up. It's a sad indictment on mankind that whenever they're presented with a chance to make the world a better place they invariably cock up. It also doesn't take long for any breakthroughs in science to be misused and even with the best intentions we just eventually revert to type. But these types of movies invariably have some form of socio-political message so don't let that spoil things for you.

The director does a great job in creating a believable miniature community but you may struggle trying to get your head around the logistics and practicality of co-existing alongside the regular folk. Although the film does offer some explanations along the way, wisely it avoids getting too bogged down with the detail. It's certainly more interesting focusing on the human dynamic as more and more people 'downsize' and create a whole new set of moral dilemmas. Yes, here's a new way in which we can form prejudices and intolerance. We just don't deal with diversity very well do we?

Still, the film has a great cast, great dialogue with some very touching and funny moments and a stand out performance by Hong Chau as the Vietnamese activist who basically carries the second half of the movie. She deservedly received a Golden Globe nomination for her performance and rightly so. She was just so damned cute with her feisty temperament and broken English. Breaking down the 8 types of American fecking was just glorious.

Downsizing is a film that invests heavily in the characters and its social commentary themes of which there are many but it also works on a more basic level if you just want to be entertained for a couple of hours.

I'm giving this a 7/10.
Mixed bag is true. Decent first hour and then it felt like they didn't know where to take the story after that.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Mixed bag is true. Decent first hour and then it felt like they didn't know where to take the story after that.
I had the same thought. Like really? The worlds ending? ....that’s the best you can come up with.
I actually thought the opposite in terms of the first part being pretty routine and predictable. I'd actually started watching this film before but turned it off after like 30 minutes or so. But this time, I stuck with it. It only became interesting once Hong Chau's character was introduced, though at this point the story had taken a completely different turn and the downsizing plot became utterly redundant. The ending was pretty lame, I agree. Completely unnecessary and not in keeping with the story at all.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

I'm glad that I persevered with this film because after the hammy first 15 minutes of over-exaggerated performances and choppy direction, this film managed to find it's rhythm and settle into a pretty solid actioner. I'm not sure what kind of style Cathy Ryan was going for but for the most part it worked. I'm just glad that she toned down Robbie's exuberance as I don't think the film would have handled that level of superfluous character development throughout. The action sequences were pretty spectacular though with effective use of the slo-mo and very enjoyable with enough to compensate for the poor and jumbled story.

As the film progressed, I did find Harley Quinn to be quite endearing and Margot Robbie makes the most of her star billing to eke out every last drop of her character giving us more than the one-dimensional, one trick pony offering that was served up in Suicide Squad. I'm not sure how much of the action stuff was performed by her but she surely looked impressive. Although she looked great, I must admit I was firmly in Team Huntress' camp.

The film was a lot better than I thought and they've laid the groundwork for a promising franchise once they iron out the kinks. Infinitely better than Suicide Squad. My only other major gripe apart from those already mentioned was the casting of Rosie Perez. I just wasn't feeling it but that was just my opinion. Would definitely give this another watch.

I'm giving this a 7/10.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In the spirit of the coronavirus...I watched Outbreak with Hoffman and Freeman. Intriguing start and build-up but it got a bit silly with all the helicopter flying and shit.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Terminator Dark Fate
Not bad for a post-Terminator 2 entry to the franchise. The action scenes were fun and things really kick into gear once Arnie arrives. The "story" stuff was laughable though and the mexican girl they're protecting was annoying and awful 6/10

Shoplifters

A family of small-time crooks take in a child they find outside in the cold. Great little movie. Heartfelt story with a strong message 7.5/10

Member 39557

Terminator Dark Fate
Not bad for a post-Terminator 2 entry to the franchise. The action scenes were fun and things really kick into gear once Arnie arrives. The "story" stuff was laughable though and the mexican girl they're protecting was annoying and awful 6/10

Shoplifters
A family of small-time crooks take in a child they find outside in the cold. Great little movie. Heartfelt story with a strong message 7.5/10
Glad you enjoyed it. Cracking little film.

Tarrou

In the spirit of the coronavirus...I watched Outbreak with Hoffman and Freeman. Intriguing start and build-up but it got a bit silly with all the helicopter flying and shit.
I watched this the other night as well, its decent enough

What are some other good disease outbreak movies?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Watch Contagion. It's a very accurate depiction of how a global epidemic spreads.

Denis79

Freaks (2018)

I started watching this with no expectations, without seeing the trailer even. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. You know how after about an hour in a movie you pretty much have the rest figured out? Well this movie had me guessing a long, long way in. Good acting and a solid film 7/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Come and Go - In this death poem, Joao Cesar Monteiro, fully knowing he's dying of cancer (the film is indeed a posthumous release) gives his ultimate life lesson, which is to stay horny until the very bitter end. His style is pretty much unclassifiable, this one being a combination of Lumière-esque still life gags and eloquent, ritualistic and lecherous encounters with younger women. Would def be a mystifying experience without prior exposure to Monteiro, the Master Roshi of European art house cinema.

Full Moon in Paris - Quite possibly Eric Rohmer's quietest film. It's still as talkative as any other of his films but the quiet moments in this one are way more keenly felt. Pascale Ogier provided a distinctive grace in the leading role and the fact that she died of an overdose the same year it got released added another layer of melancholic shimmer to the film.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah I liked Knives Out and found it more entertaining than you evidently did, but it certainly didn’t rejuvenate or revolutionise anything... it’s was literally just a procedural. A genre that is probably less in danger of dying out or losing relevance than practically any other, and is still thriving in virtually every medium!

It had a lot of hammy performances that let you know just how much everyone involved was very aware what they were doing, but plot wise there was nothing in it any cleverer or more subversive than an episode of Johnathan Creek.
Ah no, it was a bit more playful genre-wise than that.

First by being a whodunnit where whodunnit isn't the central mystery, being revealed in the first act. Second by keeping the first and third part of the traditional mystery structure but deliberately swapping the second out for a thriller mid-section. Third by explicitly pitting the nature of the genre itself (that the detective will inevitably solve the mystery) against the hero and the audience. Fourth by repeatedly referencing the fact that they're playing with the genre in this way to the audience throughout the film.

All while also trying to remain faithful to the genre and be a satire on class warfare, liberal hypocrisy and inherited wealth.

It's a film that could have easily come across as insufferably smug and grating, so the fact that it ended up being light and breezy popcorn fun for the whole family speaks to an admirable lightness of touch in the writing, methinks.

If that's what Jonathan Creek has been cranking out over the years then I've been missing out.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Ah no, it was a bit more playful genre-wise than that.
Answers behind the curtain!...

First by being a whodunnit where whodunnit isn't the central mystery, being revealed in the first act.
So... Columbo then?

Not a criticism btw... just not particularly transcendent.

Second by keeping the first and third part of the traditional mystery structure but deliberately swapping the second out for a thriller mid-section.
So, like say (spins random movie generator)... Minority Report?

Or you know, basically every big budget movie promoted as a mystery thriller?

Again, not a bad thing! Just ... not anything solid B-movie cult fare Wild Things didn’t do either.

Third by explicitly pitting the nature of the genre itself (that the detective will inevitably solve the mystery) against the hero and the audience.
Sure.... but again, the audience being ahead of the detectives hasn’t really been a subversion of any genre for decades, probably centuries! The Mousetrap has been subverting it’s own genre since 1952 FFS, to increasingly smaller crowds of Christie completionists and lost Chinese tourists.

Also, he does kinda still solve the mystery... tbf?

Fourth by repeatedly referencing the fact that they're playing with the genre in this way to the audience throughout the film.
Yes. The big wooden house and funny accents were very entertaining. It was like Clue, but high brow, innit?

All while also trying to remain faithful to the genre and be a satire on class warfare, liberal hypocrisy and inherited wealth.
Because usually the well meaning but put upon servant character goes to jail and the arrogant spoilt rich guy gets away with it in most procedurals??

It's a film that could have easily come across as insufferably smug and grating, so the fact that it ended up being light and breezy popcorn fun for the whole family speaks to an admirable lightness of touch in the writing, methinks.
I completely agree!.... I merely think that if I were a staff writer on one of the 4,000 procedural crime shows that exist at any current moment, I’d find it a little amusing that what is essentially an above average two part season finale, played out by high end actors, directors and sundry professionals, is suddenly considered Oscar worthy because of it.... is all

If that's what Jonathan Creek has been cranking out over the years then I've been missing out.
I mean... kinda?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Knives Out - was looking forward to this as the reviews were positive but I found it very boring after the first hour. Forgettable film. 6/10

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Answers behind the curtain!...

So... Columbo then?

Not a criticism btw... just not particularly transcendent.

So, like say (spins random movie generator)... Minority Report?

Or you know, basically every big budget movie promoted as a mystery thriller?

Again, not a bad thing! Just ... not anything solid B-movie cult fare Wild Things didn’t do either.

Sure.... but again, the audience being ahead of the detectives hasn’t really been a subversion of any genre for decades, probably centuries! The Mousetrap has been subverting it’s own genre since 1952 FFS, to increasingly smaller crowds of Christie completionists and lost Chinese tourists.

Also, he does kinda still solve the mystery... tbf?

Yes. The big wooden house and funny accents were very entertaining. It was like Clue, but high brow, innit?

Because usually the well meaning but put upon servant character goes to jail and the arrogant spoilt rich guy gets away with it in most procedurals??

I completely agree!.... I merely think that if I were a staff writer on one of the 4,000 procedural crime shows that exist at any current moment, I’d find it a little amusing that what is essentially an above average two part season finale, played out by high end actors, directors and sundry professionals, is suddenly considered Oscar worthy because of it.... is all

I mean... kinda?
Oh I wasn't really arguing that it was particularly transcendent or groundbreaking, just that there was a bit more to it than being "literally just a procedural". It was more playful and genre-aware than that gives it credit for, I think.

It's a bit like Columbo, except in this case Columbo is sort of the antagonist for most of the film and you actively don't want him to catch the bad guy. But you know he will because the film keeps going out of its way to remind you that the characters are stuck in an episode of Columbo.

The Minority Report comparison is a bit of a stretch as that's outside the strict Poirot-style detective genre this is specifically purporting to operate in. Obviously there are countless mystery/thrillers out there but it is definitely unusual for this particular type of detective story to pivot in that direction. Note the pre-emptive use of the word "unusual" rather than "unprecedented" there.

Craig's character does ultimately solve the mystery but that mystery is "who hired the detective?" rather than "who killed the victim?", as initially appears to be the set-up.

None of this is ground-breaking or innovative but it isn't standard fare either. Just change the description to "high-brow Clue with a silly car chase in the middle" and we're pretty much on the same page. The silly car chase makes a difference though, dammit.

Last edited:

Giggs86

I watched this the other night as well, its decent enough

What are some other good disease outbreak movies?
Watch Contagion. It's a very accurate depiction of how a global epidemic spreads.
Flu (2013) is a good Korean movie that foreshadowed a lot of what's happening now.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Knives Out - was looking forward to this as the reviews were positive but I found it very boring after the first hour. Forgettable film. 6/10
We gave up on it after 30 minutes, found it extremely boring, also couldn't take to Daniel Craig's "southern" accent which perhaps has a lot to do with him being completely typecasted as Bond even though I consider him an excellent actor with great presence. 3/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
We gave up on it after 30 minutes, found it extremely boring, also couldn't take to Daniel Craig's "southern" accent which perhaps has a lot to do with him being completely typecasted as Bond even though I consider him an excellent actor with great presence. 3/10
I think the accent was just a bit of fun. It was distracting at first but as the film went on, I kind of found it amusing.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Jumanji The Next Level
Was looking forward to this considering that I thought the first was really fun. This was quite the let down. The story was a mess, wasn't funny, the action for the most part was forgettable and The Rock was annoying and his lack of acting chops really showed in the first two acts (whilst he plays Danny Devito). Jack Black and Kevin Hart were the bright spots of a forgettable movie 4/10

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The Two Popes

Unexpectedly loved it. Don’t wanna know how historically accurate it is for the moment, the Argentinian flashbacks were eye-opening. Can relate a bit to Ratzinger’s awkwardness which Hopkins portrayed expertly.

8/10

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Hotel Artemis (2018)

Available on Sky Cinema, the titular building is set in a dystopian Los Angeles in the not too distant future where water has been privatized causing the disenfranchised and desperate to revolt for survival. As society is on the brink of collapse, the film opens in the middle of a bank heist gone wrong. As the opportunist criminals make their getaway they encounter police fire and some sustain serious injuries in the process....which is where the hotel comes in.

You see this is no ordinary hotel. It's a special hi-tech hospital treatment and recuperation facility where criminals can check in at any time and hide out in relative obscurity and safety (even from each other) while they get patched up and things outside blow over. You need to be a fully paid up member however to use the service run by an elderly nurse (played by Jodie Foster) and her strapping assistant (Dave Bautista) who performs the healthcare, security and maintenance duties.

It's a really good premise and features a very strong cast but the director opts for the easy route with the cliched characters and predictable dialogue and story. The setting is visually appealing with its dark colour palette and stark contrast of cutting edge technology set against a backdrop of dilapidation and decline. Despite its many shortcomings, it's still an intriguing watch though. As more characters enter the hotel, the dynamic changes and tensions begin to simmer. However a place like this could not possibly have survived for over 20 years without having 'rules', a code that even the most hardened and dangerous criminals respect. Think of it as John Wick meets The Hateful Eight and you begin to get some idea of what the film is about. But as we all know, rules are there to be broken are they not?

Foster and Bautista add another string to their bows with decent performances of very interesting characters with great chemistry. Foster effuses as a petite and fragile nurse who manages to exercise great authority, control and order amongst some of the worst of society whilst barely managing to keep her own shit together. It's also great to see that she has not succumbed to the surgeon's knife. Cast also includes the ever gorge Sofia Boutella who just does what she does best, Sterling K. Brown, Charlie Day, Zachary Quinto and Jeff Goldblum.

Don't expect too much from this film though. Perhaps if entrusted to a more seasoned director, the result would have been more slick. But I guess that is all part of the charm of this film to be honest. The characters are appealing enough to be engaging but not developed enough for you to care, probably apart from the nurse/caretaker and the director has saved his money instead of going all out on the sfx thus creating that gritty realism and grounding in reality. Even when things take off in the final third, the debut director just misses out on elevating this film to greatness. A worthy effort nonetheless.

I'm giving this a 7/10.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Cotton Club (1984)

Didn't really care for the music parts but overall it was a decent movie. Organized crime in NYC in the 30s was crazy.

fergosaurus

The Lighthouse (2019)

Thought it was decent but grim and depressing viewing throughout and very odd in parts. Good performances from Pattinson and Dafoe (weird accents aside).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Heaven knows what

Really good film, felt almost Zola-esque overall and very good performances by all actors. However, it's so bleak and pretty much devoid of any hope, which doesn't make it an enjoyable watch at all. But it's definitely worth a watch, awesome filmmaking.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Jojo Rabbit

Cracking little film with perfectly pitched performances across the board. The little lad who plays Yorki was cute as hell. Sam Rockwell is still one of my favourite actors.

21 Bridges

Decent enough thriller that signposts every twist it throws at you. Doubt you'll remember much about it a week later.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I finally watched Incendies yesterday. Another sublime Vilenauve film, I seriously haven't seen one from him yet that I haven't found at worst, really entertaining, and at best, brilliant. I was hooked from the opening scene with You and Whose Army (tuuuuune) playing and it never let go then. 9/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Uncut Gems
feck me this was an assault on the senses. Everyone talking at once, with the thumping soundtrack and camera moving all over the place, it gave me a headache! Then the plot gave me a bloody stress attack. It took a while to get into but by the end, I was all in (no pun intended). Didn't like the ending 7/10

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Caught up on a few films yesterday in my hungover state

The biggest compliment I can give The Lighthouse is that I wanted to be off that island just as much as they did. The screen ratio and b&w settings, and brilliant cinematography just made it so brilliantly uncomfortable and claustrophobic, a really difficult watch buoyed by the brilliant leads. 9/10
Fully agree, and I know you obviously know this but didn't mention it, but it was the audio/sound that was as uncomfortable and harsh as the visuals. That foghorn and the super loud sea crashing at the shore etc, all the sounds and visuals were I think intending to send us crazy along the claustrophobic way, progressing as Battinson and Defoe lost themselves. Those farts though...

I looked up the directors and the films meaning and what it was about, and there are some interesting explanations about the links between Prometheus/Proteus etc. I don't know if this needs spoiler tags so I'll stop.

But yeah, it was very uncomfortable, weird and hard to get through. Clever, high quality filmmaking.

8.5/10

I should give it a 9 really, and don't know why the 8.5, maybe it's the seagull pecking at my temples that has lowered my score..

Interesting article about the link between his film The Witch and The Lighthouse.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lighthouse-explained-how-it-connects-witch-1250507