Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
They had that on the plane last week, but given the last couple of reboots, I avoided it like the plague.
Maybe I watch it on the flight back. If Linda Hamilton looks old then Arnie must look ancient.
Like Paul I watched it on the plane as well (Guessing that's also why there are various Jojo Rabbit reviews here because watched that on the plane as well). Movie was acceptable mind numbing entertainment. Some shite acting but honestly had worse movies to kill some time with. Not sure if Linda Hamilton was always a horrible actress though or just in this movie but she almost turns this into comedy.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Invisible Man (2020)

On general release in the UK today, The Invisible Man is a rehashing of a familiar and often told story about invisibility and the power that comes with it. I'm not sure whether this sits as part of the Dark Universe, which was butchered by Cruise's offering of the Mummy, but this could possibly have saved it's bacon and brought it back on track. As a standalone movie though, it does just fine by itself.

Although this film would not necessarily be considered 'arty' enough to receive Oscar recognition, if Elisabeth Moss does not at least get some kind of nomination in next year's Golden Globes or Oscars then feck the lot of 'em. I'm calling it now, quote me. The Invisible Man is a genre-twisting rollercoaster of emotions with an absolutely knock out performance from Moss who lays it all out there in an intense 2 hours of suspense, thrills, shocks, twists and great but understated sfx. Added to that an awesome and atmospheric soundtrack and what you get is a brilliantly crafted, well paced and great looking piece of cinema.

From the very opening sequence, the director sets his stall out and you're under no illusion as to what to expect as far as the suspense is concerned. Even though I kinda knew what was coming, I still found myself completely gripped and absorbed in the film. You could hear a pin drop in the cinema in the first 5 minutes. Rather than waste time on pleasantries, the film just goes straight for the jugular. Yeah we all know about the invisible man, but this is done with a new perspective. Here, we get to see a woman, subjugated by her man for years fighting back and eventually coming out on top. Moss was able to portray the tortured and downtrodden soul, fighting against all the odds where even her closest family and friends think she is crazy with such conviction, that yeah I was completely smitten. It's a horror-thriller. No, it's a revenge-thriller. Ah, feck it. It's another victory for the MeToo movement but without all the social posturing.

With a couple of genuine shock and wtf moments thrown in for good measure, there should be something here for everyone. Of course with most films nowadays, you find yourself scratching your head and having to take those small leaps of faith to go along with the plot and ending and The Invisible Man is no exception here but when the credits roll, you'll happily excuse those deficiencies and come away very satisfied. I know I certainly did. More Elisabeth Moss please.

I'm giving this an 8/10.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Y'all know some good Asian crime flicks in the style of John Woo? I really liked Hard-Boiled and The Killer.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Y'all know some good Asian crime flicks in the style of John Woo? I really liked Hard-Boiled and The Killer.
Not as action oriented as Woo but some of my favorites of the moment:

The World of Kanako

A Touch of Sin

Only God Forgives

I Saw the Devil

(Oldboy and Memories of Murder are must sees if you haven't as well)

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Two Wong Kar Wai classics - Fallen Angels and Chungking Express(Which stars a certain Mr Alan) plus I would recommend Ruined Heart! Another Love Story Between a Criminal and a Whore, long title I know but it's a mix between a crime flick and musical set in Manila.

Also haven't watched this yet but it looks like something special

(Available to watch on the site Mubi, which I think has a free week trial)

ChrisNelson

The Invisible Man

Enjoyed this a lot. Not many films have me genuinely on edge but this, for the obvious reason of not knowing where/ when the bad guy will strike had me on several occasions.

The plot is cleverly worked out and there are some great performances, especially Elisabeth Moss in the lead, first time I’ve seen her since The Kitchen last year which was also great. Comfortable 8/10 and the best film I saw tonight because the other was dreadful.....

Downhill

Will Ferrell stars as half of a marriage which unravels (goes ‘downhill’ I suppose) when a minor avalanche strikes their hotel and he runs instead of helping his family.

Marketed as a black comedy and led by one of the best comedy actors of his generation yet not one laugh out loud moment.

I was concerned when I saw the trailer but I thought it worth a shot.

Doesn’t offer anything, complete waste of 90 minutes 2/10

pauldyson1uk

The Silence.

When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven.

I was hugely disappointed in this, it has all the elements of a very good film and it could have been very good.
I was decent in places, the acting was OKish, but OMG that ending was just rubbish, but it passed 90 mins on a night shift, if you have nothing else to watch, then maybe give it a go, I still enjoyed it.

6/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I just read the news about cahiers du cinéma, @Rooney in Paris, first of all, are you ok? second, what the feck?
I'm good I'm good. I think it's a brave decision. While I'm often at odds with their opinions on films, they're a quality publication and I think their stance makes sense. Doubt most journalists would have as much courage as them.

stepic

The long shot was ultimately a gimmick, just a series of random events that are borderline unbelievable (the plane coming down resulting in the death of one of the main leads the main one), a very obvious score and a kinda pointless story really. Barely scratched the surface of the inner workings of any of the characters either, like a strange adventure game. The thin red line is 100 times better

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Waves

I really enjoyed Trey Edward Schultz's Krisha and this film shows once again he is a seriously talented director.

This is another visually stunning and inventive film from him.

It is a bit slow in parts, I found myself clock-watching a couple of times, and the script is not particularly great - but it is worth sticking through for the great performances, soundtrack, camerawork, editing and the cinematography which is the best aspect - if you are interested at all in this element of filmmaking, this is a must-watch.

8/10.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Invisible Man
Really enjoyed this. Directed expertly, Leigh Whannell has really stepped out of James Wan's huge shadow. I was constantly looking around trying to see where the invisible man was, kept me at the edge of my seat. Brilliantly acted and you really sympathize with the protagonists. Had some moments that truly took me by surprise also. A few plot holes and jumps in logic aside, it was a really fun watch 7.5/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Thin Red Line is 100 times better than most films. 1917 is still a remarkable feat of filmmaking.
The Thin Red Line is possibly the most boring and pointless war film ever made. Not as bad as Full Metal Jacket of course, but what is? Shame as the first half suggested Kubric might just know what emotions were, despite all evidence to the contrary.

2017 looked good and was enjoyable but was otherwise only decent as you didn't really connect to any of the characters.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yesterday I watched Contagion. 11 years ago and yet so totally relevant to the current situation.
An excellent film and definitely worth a watch.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The Thin Red Line is possibly the most boring and pointless war film ever made. Not as bad as Full Metal Jacket of course, but what is? Shame as the first half suggested Kubric might just know what emotions were, despite all evidence to the contrary.

2017 looked good and was enjoyable but was otherwise only decent as you didn't really connect to any of the characters.
You don't like anything! You're even worse than Nilssy

MoskvaRed

I agree on The Thin Red Line (I really don’t get the appeal of Malick - beautiful yes, but about as much narrative structure your average IMAX film about space) but, in relation to Kubrick and war films, Paths of Glory packs an emotional punch.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The Invisible Man
Really enjoyed this. Directed expertly, Leigh Whannell has really stepped out of James Wan's huge shadow. I was constantly looking around trying to see where the invisible man was, kept me at the edge of my seat. Brilliantly acted and you really sympathize with the protagonists. Had some moments that truly took me by surprise also. A few plot holes and jumps in logic aside, it was a really fun watch 7.5/10
Is this a jump scare rather than gore type of horror? I want to see it, but the missus won't entertain gore

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Is this a jump scare rather than gore type of horror? I want to see it, but the missus won't entertain gore
A few jump scares. Hardly any gore. It's more just creepy knowing that the invisible Man could be anywhere...

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Waves

I really enjoyed Trey Edward Schultz's Krisha and this film shows once again he is a seriously talented director.

This is another visually stunning and inventive film from him.

It is a bit slow in parts, I found myself clock-watching a couple of times, and the script is not particularly great - but it is worth sticking through for the great performances, soundtrack, camerawork, editing and the cinematography which is the best aspect - if you are interested at all in this element of filmmaking, this is a must-watch.

8/10.
I thought this was a borderline masterpiece.

The only thing I found slightly frustrating was the central act. I felt by removing the one character in that way you almost relieve those left behind of having to confront the earlier themes of the film. Aspirational pressures, living vicariously through your children, crisis of masculinity, etc. (Trying to avoid spoilers).

If the act was less extreme, with a possibility of redemption for the character then I think everything holds together better.

That said the way the disparate characters, constantly in conflict with each other are each afforded understanding and compassion by the story is great. Overall it's an amazing film. Acting and direction are exceptional.

Schultz's first two were hugely promising films, with this one he's arrived.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
The Invisible Man
Saw this last night.

Thought it was really good. Head a reviewer during the week describe it as Hitchcockian and I thought that that was high praise but when I watched it, it did have that feel. It had tension throughout and the fear/horror is more in you mind than on screen. It was really well done.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Fantasy Island

Well I'm going to give the PR and marketing guys a solid 9 for duping me good and proper on this one. The trailer looked quite impressive and intriguing but unfortunately that's as good as it gets. Normally Blumhouse put out some decent stuff but I don't know what they were smoking when they cobbled this pile of crap together.

Loosely, and I mean very loosely, based on the original TV series, this mess of a film tells the story of a magical island with the power to recreate people's fantasies. We have the usual ragtag bunch of participants who are brought together to live out their dreams. With the usual diverse mix present they did leave out the 'black guy who always gets it first' character so that was a welcome change. But feck me, were those characters just awful or what? Whoever cast these morons deserve to be shot. Granted Maggie Q did a decent job and was the probably the only one that came out of this fiasco with her credibility intact.

The acting was bad, the poorly cast characters were cringeworthy and just so typical of the genre (the less said about the two brothers, the better), the story was bad, the plot was all jumbled and made no sense whatsoever. The director was trying to be clever by introducing new plot elements and twists during the film but it just didn't work. Any attempts to create suspense and intrigue just fell flat in the execution. The obligatory monologuing on a roll your eyes factor of 10 was a solid 9. The menace was non-existent. The ending was as anti-climatic as you can get, not even the massive plot reveal could redeem it. A few nods to the original thrown in for good measure and that's about it. It's like they looked at The Invisible Man and thought nah, we're going to do the complete opposite and just feck this up. Rubbish!

I'm giving this a 3/10.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Spenser Confidential
After a cop is killed and another cop is framed, Marky Mark takes it upon himself to find the truth. Run of the mill action comedy. Nothing new here. Buy I didn't want anything new... Just wanted a mindless movie, which this was. Didn't realise how badly I want to bang Iliza Schlesinger until seeing her character in this :lol: Average to decent watch 6/10

arthurka

Sonic the hedgehog..
Best movie my kids have seen in a while.
Me not so sure..
9/10 for kids
5/10 for anyone else

Devil81

Been to the cinema twice with my kids over the last few weeks.

Sonic and Onward.

Both fantastic family movies, Onward has to be one of the sadest kids films I've ever seen. I spotted a fair few mums and dad's crying towards the end with a huge lump in my throat myself. My eldest was crying her eyes out.

9/10

Sonic was good family fun, far better than I thought it would be. Nothing more to add other than it kept my attention the whole way through and Jim Carey kept you entertained.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Sonic - No where near as bad as I thought it would be. It's not great, generic kids film that has a few laugh and doesn't really overstay it's welcome. Jim Carrey hams it and is pretty good.

Onward - Kinda feels like another cars. It's just okay but you expect more from pixar. First half is disjointed but it does get come together at the end. Ultimately though it's pretty forgettable.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
The Invisible Man (2020)

On general release in the UK today, The Invisible Man is a rehashing of a familiar and often told story about invisibility and the power that comes with it. I'm not sure whether this sits as part of the Dark Universe, which was butchered by Cruise's offering of the Mummy, but this could possibly have saved it's bacon and brought it back on track. As a standalone movie though, it does just fine by itself.

Although this film would not necessarily be considered 'arty' enough to receive Oscar recognition, if Elisabeth Moss does not at least get some kind of nomination in next year's Golden Globes or Oscars then feck the lot of 'em. I'm calling it now, quote me. The Invisible Man is a genre-twisting rollercoaster of emotions with an absolutely knock out performance from Moss who lays it all out there in an intense 2 hours of suspense, thrills, shocks, twists and great but understated sfx. Added to that an awesome and atmospheric soundtrack and what you get is a brilliantly crafted, well paced and great looking piece of cinema.

From the very opening sequence, the director sets his stall out and you're under no illusion as to what to expect as far as the suspense is concerned. Even though I kinda knew what was coming, I still found myself completely gripped and absorbed in the film. You could hear a pin drop in the cinema in the first 5 minutes. Rather than waste time on pleasantries, the film just goes straight for the jugular. Yeah we all know about the invisible man, but this is done with a new perspective. Here, we get to see a woman, subjugated by her man for years fighting back and eventually coming out on top. Moss was able to portray the tortured and downtrodden soul, fighting against all the odds where even her closest family and friends think she is crazy with such conviction, that yeah I was completely smitten. It's a horror-thriller. No, it's a revenge-thriller. Ah, feck it. It's another victory for the MeToo movement but without all the social posturing.

With a couple of genuine shock and wtf moments thrown in for good measure, there should be something here for everyone. Of course with most films nowadays, you find yourself scratching your head and having to take those small leaps of faith to go along with the plot and ending and The Invisible Man is no exception here but when the credits roll, you'll happily excuse those deficiencies and come away very satisfied. I know I certainly did. More Elisabeth Moss please.

I'm giving this an 8/10.
If Patrick Bateman did film reviews...