Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Malick embodies everything I don't look for in a movie. I belive during naptime some of his movies are used to put children to sleep. Tree of Life is a 2+ hour screen saver.

AaronRedDevil

Just watch LOTR trilogy yesterday for the hundred time. Easiest 10/10 I'll ever give. So are we all in an agreement the the LOTR is the greatest trilogy ever?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Despicable Me 2
Haven't seen any of these before and thought this was average. Minions are really cute though 5/10

Wonder Park

Wonder Park tells the story of an amusement park where the imagination of a wildly creative girl named June comes alive. Decent animated movie and quite sad at times 5.5/10

Le Mans '66: Ford vs. Ferrari

Really enjoyed this. Great acting, interesting story, amazing editing and sound mixing. Liked how they didn't make Ford appear to be a do-good company, which was my worry before seeing the film. Christian Bale is such a good actor 8/10

In Fabirc

In Fabric is a haunting ghost story set against the backdrop of a busy winter sales period in a department store and follows the life of a cursed dress as it passes from person to person, with devastating consequences. What the feck. An absolute steaming pile of pretentious shit 1/10

muller

Went to see Spycies at the Odeons kids club on saturday mornings (tickets are £2.50 each and odeon play the films slightly quieter and it's all families with kids so you can talk to your kids and explain whats going on, would recommend for an easy saturday/sunday morning trip out).

Anyway, it's a kids animated film, Cat and Rat spy team. But the story is really good. Twists were a little lost on the kids but the concept and story was actually really good!

Art Vandelay

Just watch LOTR trilogy yesterday for the hundred time. Easiest 10/10 I'll ever give. So are we all in an agreement the the LOTR is the greatest trilogy ever?
No. They aren't even the best fantasy films ever either. They are overly long and rip the arse out of it. The only good bit in the whole trilogy was the Mines of Moria sequence. The rest is touchy feely nonsense where short people walk places while lusting after each other.

I was sick this weekend so I watched some old films on blu ray.

Dog Soldiers

Some manly men soldier types go up to the Scottish highlands on a training mission. It all goes tits up when werewolves start munching on them. My personal favourite werewolf film and one of my favourite films ever. It's the Aliens/Night of the Living Dead formula where people get trapped in a place and have to defend and escape. I mean it is essentially Aliens with werewolves, but it is very well done and a nicely told tale which manages to flesh out a few of it's characters despite the limitations of the setting/genre. It takes it's time to breathe and let tension build which a lot of horrors don't do too well. The comedy doesn't take over, it's part of how characters cope with the situation. The action is well done. Werewolf designs are creepy. Overall it's fecking excellent and Sean Pertwee is brilliant in it.

9/10

The Lost Boys

I haven't watched this in many a moon. Probably 20 years since I last saw it I think. It's aged remarkably well, it has a great sense of time and place. Remember clocks that were giant watches? Those were the days. Some of the acting isn't great and parts of it make questionable amounts of sense. Like the rules of vampires, I like that they adhere to a lot of them but inviting one in rendering you powerless with holy water and garlic is a strange one. I'd have liked a more indepth explanation of that one. Also David deciding Michael would be Star's first kill then trying to turn him into a vampire was an odd move, but I suppose might be explained by the head vampire trying to recruit Michael and Sam into the family. Also vampires reverting back to themselves when dead or when the head vampire is killed is fair enough, but why does it remove David's beard?

It's all nitpicking though. It's still a very good film and still surprisingly one of the better vampire films. For the amount of vampire films that have been churned out over the years not that many are particularly good. For me Near Dark is the best of them. Good werewolf films are also slim pickings. Although I prefer it when the antagonist is not the werewolf, I suppose Gingersnaps is the best of both worlds there. I've gone off on a tangent.

8/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I loved him in Rush Hour 3.
Le Mans '66: Ford vs. Ferrari
Really enjoyed this. Great acting, interesting story, amazing editing and sound mixing. Liked how they didn't make Ford appear to be a do-good company, which was my worry before seeing the film. Christian Bale is such a good actor 8/10
I loved it. Excellent editing and sound editing which make the the action scenes amazing, and just enough character development to keep the viewer engaged throughout. Bale and Damon are both excellent, despite Bale's dodgy something??? accent.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Jumanji: The Next Level

The cast of Jumanji returns with some new additions. The grumpy old men routing played by DeVito and Danny Glover is a bit tiresome, but thankfully doesn't derail the movie too much. Awkwafina as Ming Fleetfoot does a stellar job as Spencer and then Eddie. The movie feels bigger (and longer) and they have a nice blend of old school adventure with CGI. The moving bridges scene especially awesome.

Overall enjoyable watch. The mid-credit scene is super and I can't wait for next movie. Expecting a return to Robin Williams movie 1.

Sweet Square

Dog Soldiers

Some manly men soldier types go up to the Scottish highlands on a training mission. It all goes tits up when werewolves start munching on them. My personal favourite werewolf film and one of my favourite films ever. It's the Aliens/Night of the Living Dead formula where people get trapped in a place and have to defend and escape. I mean it is essentially Aliens with werewolves, but it is very well done and a nicely told tale which manages to flesh out a few of it's characters despite the limitations of the setting/genre. It takes it's time to breathe and let tension build which a lot of horrors don't do too well. The comedy doesn't take over, it's part of how characters cope with the situation. The action is well done. Werewolf designs are creepy. Overall it's fecking excellent and Sean Pertwee is brilliant in it.

9/10
Well said!

I'm not sure if it's underrated anymore as loads of people seem to love it now but it's one of the few film I'll watch all the way through whenever it's on the telly.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Watched The Irishman over the weekend on a recommendation.

Not sure if just me but didn't rate it.

Too long with not enough happening and I thought the desire to use De Niro, Pacino and Pesci ("Look! We got the guys from the Godfather and Goodfellas films. Come see") outweighed the option of casting other actors who looked the part.

Watching De Niro hobble about as 'The oldest hitman in town' was weird. Didn't get any sense of danger/fear apart from the fact he had a gun.

Pesci looked like a decent wind would blow him over. They almost didn't need to bother aging him later in the film... he looked at death's door anyway.

Liked Pacino as Hoffa.... no idea if he got Hoffa's personality right but did come across as a powerful man who refused to bow down even in the face of huge threats.

4/10

Art Vandelay

Well said!

I'm not sure if it's underrated anymore as loads of people seem to love it now but it's one of the few film I'll watch all the way through whenever it's on the telly.
The annoying thing is I'd wanted to rewatch it for ages, but the blu ray wasn't available in the UK and it's not on Amazon Prime or Netflix. I've found upscaled DVD's look a bit cack on my TV, which is one of the drawbacks of getting a 4K TV. Anything that's not perfect looks a lot worse. Ended up taking the plunge and getting the 4K blu ray from Germany and it was worth it. It will most likely be one of those films I watch once a year now. I remembered it being great and one of my favourite films, but didn't appreciate just how good it is.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Jumanji: The Next Level

The cast of Jumanji returns with some new additions. The grumpy old men routing played by DeVito and Danny Glover is a bit tiresome, but thankfully doesn't derail the movie too much. Awkwafina as Ming Fleetfoot does a stellar job as Spencer and then Eddie. The movie feels bigger (and longer) and they have a nice blend of old school adventure with CGI. The moving bridges scene especially awesome.

Overall enjoyable watch. The mid-credit scene is super and I can't wait for next movie. Expecting a return to Robin Williams movie 1.
What happens mid credit?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Daniel Craig did Knives out just so he could show us he could easily replace Kevin Spacey in House of cards, right? If I closed my eyes I would be convinced it's Kevin Spacey.

Decent Coronavirus escape movie.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The movie ends with introducing Nora (who was the aunt of 2 kids in original Jumanji movie). The mid credits shows ostriches seen within the game, now running outside in the city...again similar to original Jumanji movie where animals escape into real world.
Oh yeah I saw that. Thanks!

hubbuh

Two Wong Kar Wai classics - Fallen Angels and Chungking Express(Which stars a certain Mr Alan) plus I would recommend Ruined Heart! Another Love Story Between a Criminal and a Whore, long title I know but it's a mix between a crime flick and musical set in Manila.

Also haven't watched this yet but it looks like something special

(Available to watch on the site Mubi, which I think has a free week trial)
I went to see Wild Goose Lake at the IFFR. It was pretty fun, it certainly showed China’s dirty, scary and violent underbelly really well. Not a classic or anything, though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Watched The Irishman over the weekend on a recommendation.

Not sure if just me but didn't rate it.

Too long with not enough happening and I thought the desire to use De Niro, Pacino and Pesci ("Look! We got the guys from the Godfather and Goodfellas films. Come see") outweighed the option of casting other actors who looked the part.

Watching De Niro hobble about as 'The oldest hitman in town' was weird. Didn't get any sense of danger/fear apart from the fact he had a gun.

Pesci looked like a decent wind would blow him over. They almost didn't need to bother aging him later in the film... he looked at death's door anyway.

Liked Pacino as Hoffa.... no idea if he got Hoffa's personality right but did come across as a powerful man who refused to bow down even in the face of huge threats.

4/10
I love some of the films De Niro has starred in and, often, he's good in them but...is it too idiotic to suggest that he's not that great and/or charismatic an actor?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I love some of the films De Niro has starred in and, often, he's good in them but...is it too idiotic to suggest that he's not that great and/or charismatic an actor?
He's definitely done a lot (A LOT?) of similar parts where he plays the tough guy and nearly always a gangster .... even comedic parts like in 'Meet the parents' (which I thought was ok) or 'Analyse that and 'Dirty Grandpa' (mehhh), he's the tough guy, just not a gangster.

That suggests he's typecast and not willing to extend himself but my issue with The Irishman or some other De Niro films isn't the character per se (Mean Streets and Godfather 2 were/are simply superb, Goodfellas and Heat close behind), it's the lack of stretch, maybe he shares the blame with the scriptwriters. The Irishmen seemed to be the epitome of this.. no character by the writers, no decent acting (imo) and a part he should have said no to.

On the other hand he's done Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy, Raging Bull, The Deer Hunter and while they're all great films, he was excellent as well as the films (not just as a part of). I wish he'd tried more things.

I think the biggest asterisk against him being good or great is similar to sportspersons .... longevity. Those films above were all great parts/acting but apart from Goodfellas, in a relatively short part of his career (10 years or so). Bit like a footballer playing really really well for 3-4 years... can they then be called a great?

Opinions? To paraphrase someone who WAS definitely great.... "films.... bloody hell!"

Art Vandelay

I'll fight you both, but instead of travelling by vehicle you have to walk here, shoeless, while putting up with the advances of a weird crying lusty fat man that describes himself as "your Sam." Afterwards we can all hold hands and have a good cry. Conan the Barbarian didn't put up with none of that. Neither did the Beast Master.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Thoroughly enjoyed 1917. A wild and unique addition to the War Odyssey genre. It's an odd thing with a quaint theatricality to it's dialogue and set piece staging. The rhythms and visual language were that of a 3rd person video game, whereas the cinematography is very painterly, going from earthy Brueghelian landscapes to the action scenes that capture the frenzied drama of a Delacroix or Gericault. I'm convinced that Hubert Robert's burning Rome was a direct influence on one particular shot.

And yet oddly for all it's contrived staging and ever deliberate poetry and style I found its emotional scenes deeply affecting.

It's a bit like Private Ryan and Gallipoli and Dunkirk and Paths of Glory but it's also not quite like anything else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Onward - Pixar do like making films about death aye?

I had a great time with this. A fun adventure film that builds a great world, has solid voice work, a ton of a heart and all the typical themes/emotion you’d expect from a Pixar film.

It might not be on the high, high level of their very best (Coco and Wall-E) but that’s hardly a criticism….and to be fair, the ending is so good it pretty much reaches that level. Completely subverted my expectations and got the eyes a bit watery (well it is flu season)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Thoroughly enjoyed 1917. A wild and unique addition to the War Odyssey genre. It's an odd thing with a quaint theatricality to it's dialogue and set piece staging. The rhythms and visual language were that of a 3rd person video game, whereas the cinematography is very painterly, going from earthy Brueghelian landscapes to the action scenes that capture the frenzied drama of a Delacroix or Gericault. I'm convinced that Hubert Robert's burning Rome was a direct influence on one particular shot.

And yet oddly for all it's contrived staging and ever deliberate poetry and style I found its emotional scenes deeply affecting.

It's a bit like Private Ryan and Gallipoli and Dunkirk and Paths of Glory but it's also not quite like anything else.
The night scenes when he wakes up in that village?

Spoony

The People's President
Onward - Pixar do like making films about death aye?

I had a great time with this. A fun adventure film that builds a great world, has solid voice work, a ton of a heart and all the typical themes/emotion you’d expect from a Pixar film.

It might not be on the high, high level of their very best (Coco and Wall-E) but that’s hardly a criticism….and to be fair, the ending is so good it pretty much reaches that level. Completely subverted my expectations and got the eyes a bit watery (well it is flu season)
I liked it as well.

AaronRedDevil

Shutter Island. Dunno how this movie escaped me all these years. Di caprio is my favourite actor and I love his movies. Finally got around to this one. Mind feck of a movie. Very tensed, mysterious and a hopeless feel to it. 9/10

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Seven Psychopaths

Don't know if I've already banged on about this film before but I watch it at least once a year and it's still the best written movie I've ever seen. Martin McDonagh just has a knack for snappy dialogue and it always seems like he gets the absolute best out of his casts.

Whilst this film gets overshadowed by his other work like Three Billboards or In Bruges I think that's unfair as in my opinion this is his best work. I think that despite its comical and fantastical tone at times it comes across as a more sensitive and thoughtful film about violence that has me in fits of laughter one minute and giving me a wee tear in the eye the next.

I genuinely can't do the film justice here so just go and watch it if you haven't. It's on Netflix.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Lion King 2019

Looks visually amazing.... but that’s about it. They removed the best lines, got rid of the humour, got rid of the emotion, none of the characters stand out or are likeable.

3/10

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The Art of Racing in the Rain is such a beautiful film. I am such a sucker for dogs. Best movie I've seen in years.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Blindspotting (2018)

How had I not seen this one yet? Written and starring Daveed Diggs (Hamilton Tony winner) and Rafael Casal. I thought I was just getting a typical movie about ghetto life, set to pull heartstrings and preach but the movie was more than that. It was emotional but conveyed many degrees of emotions. The movie focused more on the main character trying to finish his parole without doing anything stupid and trying to change it's life. It did not glorify or depress their surroundings. It made it seemingly normal but yet complicated. The relationships in the movie felt real and not Hollywood dramatic and those are what really kept me invested. Every person played their part and each scene felt like it belong. Rafael Casal played his character so smoothly but also made himself unlikeable. Usually the smooth talking hustler isn't supposed to be that guy but he kind of played an antagonistic role as the white kid in Oakland being overly ghetto to make sure he belonged which complicated the matters for main character who was trying to better himself after prison and did not want to act the same way.

The movie culminates in what I assume is a Hamilton-esque ending which was also felt somewhat Shakespearean to me.

The movie is simply enjoyable all the way through and I struggle to think of someone disliking it.

8.5/10

Giggs86

Shutter Island. Dunno how this movie escaped me all these years. Di caprio is my favourite actor and I love his movies. Finally got around to this one. Mind feck of a movie. Very tensed, mysterious and a hopeless feel to it. 9/10
Watched it when it came out, liked it some much that I didn't read or even think about that movie hoping to forget everything so that I can enjoy rewatching it again. Watched it a few weeks ago, and even though I couldn't forget the twist I still enjoyed it!

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Seven Psychopaths

Don't know if I've already banged on about this film before but I watch it at least once a year and it's still the best written movie I've ever seen. Martin McDonagh just has a knack for snappy dialogue and it always seems like he gets the absolute best out of his casts.

Whilst this film gets overshadowed by his other work like Three Billboards or In Bruges I think that's unfair as in my opinion this is his best work. I think that despite its comical and fantastical tone at times it comes across as a more sensitive and thoughtful film about violence that has me in fits of laughter one minute and giving me a wee tear in the eye the next.

I genuinely can't do the film justice here so just go and watch it if you haven't. It's on Netflix.
Sam Rockwell is brilliant. Great film.

fergosaurus

Aladdin (2019)

It wasn't bad, better than I'd expected but Jafar was a let down. It needed a stronger personality and his beard was nothing like the cartoon Jafar either which bothered me.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Like Paul I watched it on the plane as well (Guessing that's also why there are various Jojo Rabbit reviews here because watched that on the plane as well). Movie was acceptable mind numbing entertainment. Some shite acting but honestly had worse movies to kill some time with. Not sure if Linda Hamilton was always a horrible actress though or just in this movie but she almost turns this into comedy.
Watched Terminator DF on a long haul last night. It was entertaining and glad it avoided oversentimentality by and large.
Christ Arnie and Linda look old! Agree about her hamming it up as the badass.

Malifecent 2 passed another couple of hours of a 14 hour flight.