Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Call
A woman receives calls from a teenager who lives in the same house but 20 years in the past. At first, the two women help each other but things soon turn sinister. Decent film with a nice hook but is let down towards the end with some bizarre choices and a poor mid credits scene. On Netflix so worth a watch 7/10

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Call
A woman receives calls from a teenager who lives in the same house but 20 years in the past. At first, the two women help each other but things soon turn sinister. Decent film with a nice hook but is let down towards the end with some bizarre choices and a poor mid credits scene. On Netflix so worth a watch 7/10
Sounds like The Lake House but worse.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Another Round, another fine Vinterberg. A fairly high-concept plot sees a group of friends devising a social experiment around their consumption of alcohol. It's filled with beautiful and painful human insights, showing the highs and lows of their alcohol influenced lives. Great performances and direction.

It's seems funny that the Dogme 95 provocateurs became some of the most sweet, sensitive filmmakers.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Tightrope (1984)

Decent Eastwood flick actually, I enjoyed it. I've got a soft spot for all these 70s/80s/90s late night thriller flicks.

el3mel

Zodiac (2007) :

Absolutely fantastic. During the first half of it I thought it was dragging or little bit too long, but then the last hour of it I couldn't stop watching for one second. I found myself totally invested in it to a degree I didn't expect when I started watching. It's so immersive that I even went to google the real case once I finished watching.

9/10.

hungrywing

The Call
That scene was incredibly jarring.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Ghost in the shell (1995):
As far as atmosphere-driven sci-fi about sentient machines goes, Blade Runner > Ex Machina > Ghost in the shell. 7/10.
The animation style was very cool, but the first half of the story was needlessly complicated, the plot didnt need to be so dense, and the characters weren't particularly fleshed out by it.

True Lies:
silliest movie ever made 9/10

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Woman Who Ran - Hong has done it again. A woman approaching middle age meets up with old friends and has casual but nuanced conversations about life, work and relationships. There's not a single '"good" framed shot in the entire film and the fashion is quite lovely in it's unloveliness. The result of all this? One of the best films of the year.

hungrywing

The Woman Who Ran - Hong has done it again. A woman approaching middle age meets up with old friends and has casual but nuanced conversations about life, work and relationships. There's not a single '"good" framed shot in the entire film and the fashion is quite lovely in it's unloveliness. The result of all this? One of the best films of the year.
1. Why has that guy(?) made four-hundred eighty-two movies with that same actress in the past three years.
2. Google translate says it's "The Woman Who Ran Away" Do you think she's trying to run away from him(?).

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
1. Why has that guy(?) made four-hundred eighty-two movies with that same actress in the past three years.
2. Google translate says it's "The Woman Who Ran Away" Do you think she's trying to run away from him(?).
Cuz she's his hot, younger muse that he's also banging that's why.

He would definitely be the one to make a movie about it if that were the case.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Sounds interesting. Probably not as good as Tenet buy might give it a watch

Mihai

I thought Tenet was great fun, but also kinda bad. If you took it too seriously I don't think you'd enjoy it.

Arthur C Clarke would call this fantasy and not Sci-Fi I reckon, as it's surely not based on any plausible science

the comic-book character bad guy's motivations for doing it all were hilariously silly

Denzel's son is really good though
Didn't know he is Denzel's son. He was really good though.

hungrywing

Cuz she's his hot, younger muse that he's also banging that's why.

He would definitely be the one to make a movie about it if that were the case.
Totally. I bet it'd have a really juicy plot.

Like the reason he only makes movies with $10 is because his mother was a legendary movie/media producer and she encouraged him to just pursue the art for art's sake. And then when she got extremely sick later in life, his wife took care of her mother-in-law for years and years while he sort of noodled around on the art scene. And then when his mother, believing her daughter-in-law would reap the benefits, (but at the same time, due to her dementia, unaware of the recent rumors of her son's infidelity) willed him one-hundred-and-twenty-million frocking dollars, this young hot thing pounced. And then he filed for divorce from his wife (the one who took care of her sick mother-in-law for a decade) and he was laughed out of court and so he eloped with the hot young thing. And it just so happened that, during the divorce hearings, when he admitted his infidelity, his mother heard of this during a period of lucidity and fainted and never regained consciousness afterwards and passed away not long after.

Something like that.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Well, as long it's got a male character that is self-delusional, sexually promiscious and has a preference for soju, who also happens to be a film director, then it's def a Hong film.

el3mel

Sherlock Holmes (2009) & Sherlock Holmes: a game of shadows (2011).

Watched them in preparation for the upcoming third movie next year, if it didn't get delayed at the end, of course.

I enjoyed both equally. Pretty fun take on the famous detective with more action oriented direction in it, but still showing his observation skills as strong as ever. RDJ is just awesome to watch on the screen. He can honestly do anything in front of the camera and I will still find it fun to watch. He's as fun Sherlock as he is as Tony Stark. Jude Law nailed it as Watson.

First movie was a little bit better than the first with a more coherent and easy plot to follow and having a sense of mystery that suits a store about Sherlock Holmes, and which the second one unfortunately lacks, as it seems the second focuses more on the direct conflict between Holmes and main villain, but the action scenes in the second one were great fun and the final confrontation was fantastic (even if clichéd in some parts), it alone gives the movie a good bonus in rating for me.

I will rate both 8/10. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Whatever the new Clooney film on Netflix is called: 3/10

Rubbish, jumps all over the place for no reason, forgets about characters for long periods then suddenly remembers them. Decision making by characters is ridiculous. Something that is supposed to be a twist is seen from a mile off? I think it's supposed to be a twist anyway, they make it out to be at the end. Also I found the soundtrack to do a repetitive theme, (doom to fade into victory).

Definitely felt like I'd been ripped off and I hadn't really paid to watch it :lol:

Sylar

Rubbish, jumps all over the place for no reason, forgets about characters for long periods then suddenly remembers them. Decision making by characters is ridiculous. Something that is supposed to be a twist is seen from a mile off? I think it's supposed to be a twist anyway, they make it out to be at the end. Also I found the soundtrack to do a repetitive theme, (doom to fade into victory).

Definitely felt like I'd been ripped off and I hadn't really paid to watch it :lol:
Midnight sky? :lol: if so as I was planning to watch it tomorrow

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Must be that one. I watched its trailer the other way, and I was thinking it sounds totally like the premise of a series.

Also I was watching the trailer of Virgin River, and it sounded like a romantic drama film - but it's a series heading into its third season.

I'm curious now if the trailers or the productions are off.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah that one :lol: I've got a bit into the sci fi / space films over the past few years and thought it looked decent... Massively mistaken. I knew from about 20mins in it was gonna be pants.

Maybe give it 20mins and see how you feel.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Must be that one. I watched its trailer the other way, and I was thinking it sounds totally like the premise of a series.

Also I was watching the trailer of Virgin River, and it sounded like a romantic drama film - but it's a series heading into its third season.

Trailers are just like those clickbait YouTube titles now, they don't actually represent the film or series at all, they're just there to solely catch your attention. Makes finding something decent 100x harder.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

I’ve actually ended up watching first two seasons of Virgin River by default.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’ve actually ended up watching first two seasons of Virgin River by default.
What did you think? My mum recommended it to me, which can mean just about anything in my experience. :)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What did you think? My mum recommended it to me, which can mean just about anything in my experience. :)
Sorry, I meant to say something about it but I find it hard to actually rate stuff since sitting through Gossip Girl recently. I’d say though you’re probably best off spending that time reading a book or something.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

I concur. Very poor and dull film. Also, Clooney, stop hanging out with J. J.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sorry, I meant to say something about it but I find it hard to actually rate stuff since sitting through Gossip Girl recently. I’d say though you’re probably best off spending that time reading a book or something.
No worries. I suppose the fact that you've wat through two seasons of it means that you rate it.

As for the book thing - doesn't that apply to virtually any romantic movie or series? (Not that that stops me from watching those. :nervous: )