Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

tomaldinho1

Granted I haven't seen The Tomorrow War but isn't it pretty safe to say now that if a film stars Chris Pratt then it's going to be pretty shite.
I just watched this and came here in the hope a few others had seen it because it blew my mind. My goodness, what an awful awful awful plot.

How that end sequence fight made it from concept to film is everything I hate about cinema. Basically just turned into Kong versus Godzilla levels of stupid.

Sweet Square

He wasn't totally unwatchable in the first Guardians of The Galaxy film.
Yeah thats a fair point, imo Guardians played to Pratt strengths which are mostly comedic. It seems the studios are trying to turn him into new Harrison Ford.

I just watched this and came here in the hope a few others had seen it because it blew my mind. My goodness, what an awful awful awful plot.

How that end sequence fight made it from concept to film is everything I hate about cinema. Basically just turned into Kong versus Godzilla levels of stupid.
I swear there's a newish trend in hollywood over the last decade where they are openly making very stupid movies and the audience goes into the cinema expecting and wanting to see something dumb and meaningless. It's like some weird ironic shitting posting but using hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's all very bizarre and depressing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

There is not a single part of that movie that couldn’t have been improved by randomly plucking 5 Film School students and adding them to the room and extending all writing/production meetings by 15 minutes.

Every single scene was flawed in a way that could have been fixed with minimum effort. So much of it is broken that it’s easier to believe that the goal was to make a bad movie, than to entertain the idea they tried to make a good one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There is not a single part of that movie that couldn’t have been improved by randomly plucking 5 Film School students and adding them to the room and extending all writing/production meetings by 15 minutes.

Every single scene was flawed in a way that could have been fixed with minimum effort. So much of it is broken that it’s easier to believe that the goal was to make a bad movie, than to entertain the idea they tried to make a good one.
I think the directors of the second Captain America film said that they were constantly wondering 'what would series like Honest Trailers have to say about this, and how can we fix that?' Maybe in this film the objective was the exact opposite? :cool:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think the directors of the second Captain America film said that they were constantly wondering 'what would series like Honest Trailers have to say about this, and how can we fix that?' Maybe in this film the objective was the exact opposite? :cool:
How bizarre. I have that movie on right now.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Captain America : The Winter Soldier [9/10]
Rewatched today. For me, it’s head and shoulders above all the other films in the franchise. Ragnarok is a runner up, but Winter Soldier works as a stand alone movie. It’s brilliant. Set pieces are well sized, believable levels of risk and jeopardy, well paced, even the Stan Lee cameo is legit.

OleBoiii

Soul

Late to the party as always, but I thought it was good! Not excellent, but definitely enjoyable. Seeing as it's Pixar and the protagonist is a jazz musician, the animation and music is obviously good. My favorite part is the message, though! I think millennials(and probably gen z) need to take the message to heart. Life itself is plenty. There's no need to desperately look for a passion and then pursue it like a madman.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Soul

Late to the party as always, but I thought it was good! Not excellent, but definitely enjoyable. Seeing as it's Pixar and the protagonist is a jazz musician, the animation and music is obviously good. My favorite part is the message, though! I think millennials(and probably gen z) need to take the message to heart. Life itself is plenty. There's no need to desperately look for a passion and then pursue it like a madman.
I loved it. Like a more adult version of Inside Out with its themes.

Luca
Another one from Pixar that I enjoyed. Had some Studio Ghibli vibes. Looked beautiful and I enjoyed the themes once again. They're on a roll 7.5/10

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Once upon a time in Hollywood

Just watched it for a second time after watching it a few weeks after it first came out in 2019 and I have to say I enjoyed it even more the second time around. Brad Pitt is absolutely brilliant as Cliff. So funny.

9.5/10. Tarantino is just the best at what he does.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I loved it. Like a more adult version of Inside Out with its themes.

Luca
Another one from Pixar that I enjoyed. Had some Studio Ghibli vibes. Looked beautiful and I enjoyed the themes once again. They're on a roll 7.5/10
Oh boy I fecking hated it. Looked pretty but the story was so lame. Likewise the Dolmio ad “mamma mia” shlocky Italian characters. What’s with throwing in random Italian phrases anyway? Either use the over to top Italian accents to represent people speaking Italian or go with a subtitled movie. Make your mind up!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Just watched it for a second time after watching it a few weeks after it first came out in 2019 and I have to say I enjoyed it even more the second time around. Brad Pitt is absolutely brilliant as Cliff. So funny.

I rewatched this last week, it's a pretty flawless film. And I reckon it's gonna age like a fine wine.

entropy

Flawless? it’s too long and boring for most parts. And with him revealing that Brad Pitt’s character did indeed kill his wife makes the lead even more unlikable. Tarantino should stop being such a bitch and get back to what he does best. Give us Kill Bill 3 or just go away. Inglorious Bastards was his last good film.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I swear there's a newish trend in hollywood over the last decade where they are openly making very stupid movies and the audience goes into the cinema expecting and wanting to see something dumb and meaningless. It's like some weird ironic shitting posting but using hundreds of millions of dollars.
Apropos of nothing, I just watched
Guns Akimbo:
Crank+Battle Royale, with a ton of commentary on internet clickbait and voyuerism delivered mostly via voiceover. The style was interesting, but it lost steam midway. Politically woke to the point of occasional cringe.
5/10.

American Animals:
Interesting take on a heist movie, interesting use of actual documentary footage and multiple narrators. Interesting, but not necessarily good. Don't go in expecting Oceans 11.
6/10.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Flawless? it’s too long and boring for most parts. And with him revealing that Brad Pitt’s character did indeed kill his wife makes the lead even more unlikable. Tarantino should stop being such a bitch and get back to what he does best. Give us Kill Bill 3 or just go away. Inglorious Bastards was his last good film.
That probably says more about you and the kind of films you like to watch if you found it boring.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Syriana (2005):
Saw this when I was 13 and could understand neither the (western) accents nor the geopolitics, and definitely couldn't follow the story. Now, the accents are easy, the politics was quite simple (even hamfisted, like with a random reference to Mossadegh), though the story still requires concentration.
8/10

This review says everything I want to:
Green Zone:
Companion to Syriana. It has a much narrower focus, only on Iraqi WMDs. Greengrass and his shaky cam are obvious here (made more obvious by Matt Damon). A couple of scenes were excellent - the transition from the occupied city to the inside of the palace stood out.
But ultimately it didn't amount to much. The last act could very well be a Bourne movie without the sparkle, Matt Damon takes on basically a supersoldier like the ones he always faces in those movies. Felt like any action movie (with a nauseatingly unsteady camera), the stakes of the story are lost in the extended shooting scene.
The politics is fine but doesn't compare to the scope of Syriana, it is basically the story of this guy.
6/10.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Oh boy I fecking hated it. Looked pretty but the story was so lame. Likewise the Dolmio ad “mamma mia” shlocky Italian characters. What’s with throwing in random Italian phrases anyway? Either use the over to top Italian accents to represent people speaking Italian or go with a subtitled movie. Make your mind up!
Holy Spaganoli! :lol:

OleBoiii

That probably says more about you and the kind of films you like to watch if you found it boring.
I love Tarantino. Both his 90's films and some of his newer stuff.

I still didn't like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I also found it a bit boring, although that's not the biggest issue for me.

Superden

I watched the new Boss Baby movie last night. If you liked the series then it ticks all the boxes, although I did find it more zany and faster paced than the series, which costs its some the of whimsy in the jokes adults would understand. . 7/10

Superden

Read the book first or watch the movie? , what's caftards opinion.
im thinking of watching / reading the japanese film/book The Woman in the Dunes. Film is by Hiroshi Teshigahara based on the book by Kobo Abe in the 1960s.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Read the book first or watch the movie? , what's caftards opinion.
im thinking of watching / reading the japanese film/book The Woman in the Dunes. Film is by Hiroshi Teshigahara based on the book by Kobo Abe in the 1960s.
I dont know these, but the original book tends to be more balanced and nuanced and offer a more complete story in my experience. (Assuming it's not a crap quality book.) So I find I'm usually at least somewhat disappointed by films if I know the book well, but enjoy delving into the story more if I watch the film first and read the book afterwards.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm the same as @entropy and @OleBoiii on this one. There are good bits to the movie, but overall it's too long, too slow, and too uninteresting. In particular -

The entire bit where Sharon Tate is enjoying a day in town was pointless to me. I suppose it's nice if you like her personally and it does add a little to the tension (is this lady going to get murdered? Really?!), but it's far too long for what it actually adds to the movie. It's just a self-indulgent bit of documentary reenactment, really.

The bit in Italy is very poor from start to finish. The movie has been super slow, and suddenly we get this entire bit that's almost done as a montage, with the pointless voice-over, and so on. It's by far the worst part of the movie and a very poor bit of moviemaking - IMO.

And this is an issue with Tarantino in the 2000s for me. Far too self-indulgent, trying too hard to do what he's supposed to do (as a genre in himself, almost) There are always good bits to his films, but overall, I find it really hard to sit them out - starting with Kill Bill. I really liked Inglourious Bastards though; theres he's got the balance right again.

TheReligion

Abusive

I really enjoyed this however I think it gets criticism as it's a long film and a slow burner. People expect action and gore from the word go with it being Tarantino.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I really enjoyed this however I think it gets criticism as it's a long film and a slow burner. People expect action and gore from the word go with it being Tarantino.
Action and gore? Tarantino? In Death Proof, sure, but to my mind, Tarantino is know for his dialogues and the slowness of his movies, the way he drags out scenes, messes with the narrative, etc. All of which I feel are done to excess in Once Upon, to the detriment of the film's quality.

OleBoiii

The problem with Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is that it looks like a parody of a Tarantino movie. It's as if an AI studied every single Tarantino movie and was tasked with writing a script based on this. It's Tarantino on crack with very little substance and also shockingly low entertainment value(imo).

If you made a checklist of what makes a Tarantino movie a Tarantino movie, then I reckon Once Upon A Time In Hollywood checks pretty much every mark:

- LA setting
- 70's vibe/inspiration
- Excessive feet shots
- Extreme violence
- Big name actors having a blast with a more fun role
- Dark humor
- Western (Leo's character)
- Eastern martial arts (the Bruce Lee scene)
- An alternative take on history(the Manson murders)
- "Unique" dialogue (I actually think the movie fails in this respect)
- "Atmospheric" (it also fails here, imo)

TheReligion

Abusive
Action and gore? Tarantino? In Death Proof, sure, but to my mind, Tarantino is know for his dialogues and the slowness of his movies, the way he drags out scenes, messes with the narrative, etc. All of which I feel are done to excess in Once Upon, to the detriment of the film's quality.
Yeah that's what people associate with him. Well the casual viewer. And that's why many didn't seem to enjoy this in my opinion. It was long tbf and could have been trimmed down but still.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Gore, no. Violence, yes.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I really like it but not peak Tarantino

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah that's what people associate with him. Well the casual viewer. And that's why many didn't seem to enjoy this in my opinion. It was long tbf and could have been trimmed down but still.
Gore, no. Violence, yes.
Little outburst of violence, sure, and often done in an overblown sort of way for comedic effect. But I would really not say that's dominant in his films. I mean, the 'casual viewer' (not sure who that refers to; not me I suppose, but it's not like I take notes while watching) might have thought the gun going off accidentally and blowing off the guy's head in the car in Pulp Fiction was really funny, but surely he/she wouldn't have come of that film thinking that that is Tarantino's defining feature. In that one, for example, it's dialogue before everything else, and that's also what people talk about most in my experience.

TheReligion

Abusive
Little outburst of violence, sure, and often done in an overblown sort of way for comedic effect. But I would really not say that's dominant in his films. I mean, the 'casual viewer' (not sure who that refers to; not me I suppose, but it's not like I take notes while watching) might have thought the gun going off accidentally and blowing off the guy's head in the car in Pulp Fiction was really funny, but surely he/she wouldn't have come of that film thinking that that is Tarantino's defining feature. In that one, for example, it's dialogue before everything else, and that's also what people talk about most in my experience.
I think if you asked random people in the street what comes to mind when they think of QT they'd mention violence and gore (amongst other things). Just my opinion of course

Superden

I think if you asked random people in the street what comes to mind when they think of QT they'd mention violence and gore (amongst other things). Just my opinion of course
i agree, but isnt that based on the commercial success of pulp fiction / reservoir dogs and the iconic very violent scenes. people cutting people / people shooting people whilst saying cool things / religous things slowly and loudly in a cool way, with a cool soundtrack with songs youve not really heard before, but now feature in every single car ad.
i think ive just described every tarantino film ever made. add in mockney accents and its every guy ritchie film ever made.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
@Nou_Camp99 i reject your hypothesis
That's your choice pal.

I just think a lot of what is truly great about this film is lost on the average movie goer. If you can't keep interested without loads of fight scenes and blood and guts then that's a shame. The dialogue in this film is amazing. The cinematography is incredible. It really does feel like he got the tone right for the era it was set.

People who expected Kill Bill / Pulp Fiction type of film will definitely be disappointed. Not every film is like that. Hateful 8 is a slow burner too and is also brilliant.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's your choice pal.

I just think a lot of what is truly great about this film is lost on the average movie goer. If you can't keep interested without loads of fight scenes and blood and guts then that's a shame. The dialogue in this film is amazing. The cinematography is incredible. It really does feel like he got the tone right for the era it was set.

People who expected Kill Bill / Pulp Fiction type of film will definitely be disappointed. Not every film is like that. Hateful 8 is a slow burner too and is also brilliant.
Not sure how you mean this, but that doesn't sound very nice. I can't speak for @entropy, but I don't need violence and action to stay interested. Yes, the dialogues and cinematography are good, but the balance in narrative pace is lost here and a lot of material feels like filler. In my opinion. You can voice your disagreement with that differently, I think.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Greenland

Surprisingly well-made family drama wrapped in a disaster movie's skin. Used to adore Deep Impact growing up, so it was high time we got a new take on the genre, though this was much bleaker in parts.

Morena Baccarin was the stand-out performer, both in the acting stakes and the running stakes, but it felt like it was lacking that one major set-piece to make it particularly memorable.

They've just greenlit a sequel, so it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Movie: 7/10
Morena Baccarin running: 10/10

Sweet Square

Shiva Baby

Very funny and stressful comedy following a young jewish woman at a funeral service. Performances are brilliant and the so is the soundtrack. Worth checking out.

Ludens the Red

Army of the dead

3/10

Firstly I’m going to pretend Zack Snyder didn’t direct this. I want to still see him in a good light. Which is becoming more and more difficult with every film he makes.

Who’s idea was it to make it two and a half hours long? A zombie movie never needs to be that long and if it is you better make sure there’s some Godfather levels of build up.

Other than CGI and a cool post apocalypse Vegas backdrop, (although Resident Evil did that years ago) this film sucks pretty hard.
Cardboard characters (which fits well for Batista because he was cardboard when he wrestled) incredibly stupid plot, incredibly stupid bad guys and incredibly stupid and predictable ending.
The only thing I liked was the zombies. It’s rare to see intelligent zombies so that was a good surprise.
They were quite rapid too, like the World War Z Usain Bolt zombies. I prefer this to the pedestrian slow moving zombies of the walking dead.