Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Loon

:lol:
BULL 2021

Very solid (and violent) British “gangster looking for vengeance“ story buoyed by the intense main performance of Neil Maskell and support of David Hayman. Well handled on a super low budget by the director of LONDON TO BRIGHTON.

7/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Black Phone
I was really excited for this. Big fan of Ethan Hawke and it's by the team that made Sinister, which I absolutely adore. On technical level, yeah, great. Looked and sounded fantastic, the villain will be iconic in terms of cosplay in Halloween time etc.

But as I was watching the film, I was expecting it to have some depth and layers behind why the kid is captured and what the killer wants... But no. Nothing. It's just a PSA for child abduction.

The ending was flat and left me very underwhelmed. Shame as this had all the ingredients to be a classic but instead was just a meh movie 4.5/10

ChrisNelson

Fall (2022)

The most terrifying time I've ever spent in a cinema. I am not a fan of heights at all but this looked interesting and exciting, and to be fair it's not half bad!

I had heard there was a plot twist or two in the film, and as a rarity for me I called one spot on, and wasn't far off with the other!

I said to my mate that one of them would have cheated with the others partner, which turned out to be correct.

And my alternative was that large parts of it turned out to be a dream, and towards the end it was revealed that Hunter had fallen to her death when jumping for the bag.

When that scene occurs you can actually see that she's well short of the bag which I thought might just be poor continuity but it's clearly a good clue for what is to come.

Overall easy 7.5/10, but unless you have absolute gonads of steel prepare to be scared sh*tless! Palms are sweating just typing about it!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
BULL 2021

Very solid (and violent) British “gangster looking for vengeance“ story buoyed by the intense main performance of Neil Maskell and support of David Hayman. Well handled on a super low budget by the director of LONDON TO BRIGHTON.

7/10
I want to see this. Neil Maskell is great

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Fall (2022)

The most terrifying time I've ever spent in a cinema. I am not a fan of heights at all but this looked interesting and exciting, and to be fair it's not half bad!

I had heard there was a plot twist or two in the film, and as a rarity for me I called one spot on, and wasn't far off with the other!

I said to my mate that one of them would have cheated with the others partner, which turned out to be correct.

And my alternative was that large parts of it turned out to be a dream, and towards the end it was revealed that Hunter had fallen to her death when jumping for the bag.

When that scene occurs you can actually see that she's well short of the bag which I thought might just be poor continuity but it's clearly a good clue for what is to come.

Overall easy 7.5/10, but unless you have absolute gonads of steel prepare to be scared sh*tless! Palms are sweating just typing about it!
Looks very interesting. I'll add to my watchlist.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
NOPE
As with Us, didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped. Whilst yeah there's a lot of thematic things, allegories, hidden meanings and deeper layers, JP has forgotten that the base narrative needs to be good first and foremost and these things mentioned need to enhance it. But his films just throw too much at the wall and just leave you (or Reddit) to decipher it for the full experience.

Get Out on the other hand was just a good movie and the layers underneath the hood made it a great movie. It was also single minded in its themes... Whereas this has too many themes running side by side.

Also, the acting and characters were quite shit and the sister character was sooooo annoying. It was still well produced though and great sound design and some tense scenes 5.5/10

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NOPE
As with Us, didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped. Whilst yeah there's a lot of thematic things, allegories, hidden meanings and deeper layers, JP has forgotten that the base narrative needs to be good first and foremost and these things mentioned need to enhance it. But his films just throw too much at the wall and just leave you (or Reddit) to decipher it for the full experience.

Get Out on the other hand was just a good movie and the layers underneath the hood made it a great movie. It was also single minded in its themes... Whereas this has too many themes running side by side.

Also, the acting and characters were quite shit and the sister character was sooooo annoying. It was still well produced though and great sound design and some tense scenes 5.5/10
I'll be avoiding this as I didn't think Get Out was that great. Watchable but forgettable.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'll be avoiding this as I didn't think Get Out was that great. Watchable but forgettable.
Get Out was great though. Both with regards to its specific genre, and more generally as a critique of racism in the US - not necessarily ground breaking in that regard, but actually well done and clever. The first hour or so is extremely well crafted.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I thought Get Out was a good watch.
Nope has mixed reviews, well the ones I have seen, but I plan to watch this weekend
Definitely worth watching to make up your own mind. I just didn't really like it and the explanations for the allegories didn't really feel that great or fulfilling either.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Get Out was great though. Both with regards to its specific genre, and more generally as a critique of racism in the US - not necessarily ground breaking in that regard, but actually well done and clever. The first hour or so is extremely well crafted.
I didn't hate it but the heavy handed racism analogy was a bit much.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Julia's Eyes
A woman who is losing her eyesight must try and solve the mystery behind her twin sisters suicide. Looked really nice and some well crafted tense scenes, especially the opening scene but after about the mid-point, the plot just gets convoluted with too many random twists. Decent movie but a little too long and needed to stay more focused on the second half 6/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
May The Devil Take You
A girl visits her dad's villa along with her step siblings to uncover the mysterious illness the dad suddenly starts suffering from. Clearly inspired by Evil Dead, this movie was decent but needed to show less of the demons to have been truly effective. The characters also do too much dumb shit. But there's enough blood and scares to keep most horror fans happy 6/10

dal

I Came By

An English Horror type film on netflix which isn’t to outlandish. It has a thin plot but its definitely worth a watch maybe when you're on a hangover? The fact it contains an increasingly popular MILF also helps.

6.5/10

ArjenIsM3

Nope

WTF have I just watched.
I was really hoping this to be good, despite the very mixed views.
I did not enjoy it.

Nope/10
Watched it about a week ago and thought the same thing. Don't get why it's relatively highly rated (for the genre) on the likes of IMDB

Superunknown

FilmCafe strikes again. :lol:
I thought Nope was great. Loved Get Out and Us, too. Looking forward to my second watch of Nope at some point, whenever that it is.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Mrs Harris goes to Paris
So yesterday being $3 for all movies all day me & my wife decided to head to the local cinema for a change. Plus the temps were high 30s (C) so it made sense. She got to pick the film…

It’s a feel good film with some good acting about a cockney cleaning lady in late 1950s London that dreams of owning a Christian Dior dress. Cue the inevitable snobbery of the wealthy and not so wealthy Frenchies, and Brits. But our heroine is much too nice to ignore. She makes friends wherever she goes; from the homeless in Gare du Nord to a French Count.
6.5/10.

Superunknown

Agree about Get Out and Us, but Nope I really wanted to like it.
Aw man, I loved it. Surprised to see so many people online posting on message boards, Facebook, Twitter, etc saying that they didn't understand it or get the point of Jupe's storyline (the story with the monkey, which I just found very surprising. Seemed very straightforward to me. I liked the performances, LOVED the cinematography and visuals, and thought the story/premise was interesting. Based on first viewings alone, I loved this more than both Get Out and Us on first viewings.

Us seemed to get shit on quite a bit on forums/social media after release, which again I found surprising. Thought that final confrontation was a masterpiece. :drool:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah I quite enjoyed NOPE too. Not sure any message boards were needed to decipher the subtext, it was pretty on the nose no?

Thought the
alien design was genuinely interesting as well. Glad it wasn't generic big eyed humanoids
although that bit did actually get me. :lol:

Superunknown

Yeah I quite enjoyed NOPE too. Not sure any message boards were needed to decipher the subtext, it was pretty on the nose no?

Thought the
alien design was genuinely interesting as well. Glad it wasn't generic big eyed humanoids
although that bit did actually get me. :lol:
It got me, too. :lol: :lol:

When the second one stood up off the ground, I did think "shit, shit, shit". Reminded me a lot of that moment in Signs when the creature walks past the window at that children's party.

Creature design was excellent, especially when it opened out at the end.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep. Gonna end on eight.

Watch them, it is the best action series of all time in my opinion (#6 put them in pole position).
Not being that fond of Tom Cruise may be an issue. I have no idea how many of these I have watched. I read the plots of each and nothing jogs a single memory.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Not being that fond of Tom Cruise may be an issue. I have no idea how many of these I have watched. I read the plots of each and nothing jogs a single memory.
That could be a very separate issue, old Wibs....

Unam333

Fall (2022)

I give this movie at least a 8/10.

I had my own theory:
During the whole movie they were talking about Youtube this, streaming that. I theorized Hunter would deliberately push Becky off the tower and make videos of her death to generate more views.

MoskvaRed

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Scream (2022)
I was really enjoying the first half of this, thought it was fun and some good suspense/kills but the second half is quite flat where characters start doing dumb stuff and the reveal of Ghostface was not inventive at all but rather predictable. Not awful but not as good as it could have been with a little more creativity 6/10

TheReligion

Abusive
Anyone got any recommendations for Netflix in the UK?

Now all my plans have been fecked up over the weekend there must be a few films which may help?