Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Bondi77

Just watched The Devil All The Time and thought it was preety good
Tom Holland does well in a serious role.

Superunknown

Moonfall
I can't even. Avoid it unless you want to watch a silly movie for whatever weird reason

Avoid/10
I kept seeing this popping up and thought...I just have to watch it to get it out of the way. I prepared myself for it being bad, but...man. It's like a conspiracy theorist's wet dream. I can imagine the writing crew having posters of the moon landing being faked in their studio, or MAGA car stickers, or anti-vax memorabilia littered around the place.

My absolute favourite moment was about two thirds into the film. I said something to my wife along the lines of:

"They couldn't get Halle Berry for this movie, so they got fake Halle. Someone who looks 'almost' like her, and if you squint a little bit, it could kinda be her. No way would someone like her ever sign up for this."

*film ends. Credits pop up.*

"Aw, shit!!" :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I kept seeing this popping up and thought...I just have to watch it to get it out of the way. I prepared myself for it being bad, but...man. It's like a conspiracy theorist's wet dream. I can imagine the writing crew having posters of the moon landing being faked in their studio, or MAGA car stickers, or anti-vax memorabilia littered around the place.

My absolute favourite moment was about two thirds into the film. I said something to my wife along the lines of:

"They couldn't get Halle Berry for this movie, so they got fake Halle. Someone who looks 'almost' like her, and if you squint a little bit, it could kinda be her. No way would someone like her ever sign up for this."

:lol:
That's a great story and I know exactly what you mean. I was shocked to see that established actors would take a role in this one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Little Women. The 2019 film by Greta Gerwig, with Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet, Meryl Streep, etc. This is apparently a well-known book with multiple film adaptations, but I have to admit this was the first time I had heard of it. Quite a good film. It's about four sisters reaching adulthood in New England in the 1860s, and how they figure out what they want do with their lives (their aspirations and considerations for marriage).

It's full of life and energy, and quite some optimism as well - even if there are very sad bits as well, and the underlying point is largely a reflection on how women were largely powerless in that time and how that limited them. Great acting and a gripping way to tell the story. 4/5

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Someone thought it would be a good idea to spend $150m on this movie.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fall

In a nutshell, two thrillseekers get stuck at the top of a frighteningly enormous TV tower.

It's middle of the road in terms of the writing and acting, but if like me you're not a huge fan of heights then this is an experience. Not a pleasant one. I was genuinely quite clammy and uncomfortable throughout, but I'm glad I watched it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Fall

In a nutshell, two thrillseekers get stuck at the top of a frighteningly enormous TV tower.

It's middle of the road in terms of the writing and acting, but if like me you're not a huge fan of heights then this is an experience. Not a pleasant one. I was genuinely quite clammy and uncomfortable throughout, but I'm glad I watched it.
Oh yeah I watched this on a plane about a month ago and it made me incredibly uncomfortable. I dunno if I could say it's "good", the writing is quite poor and the actresses are terrible at acting, but are very good at the physical side of the performance. For what it sets out to achieve, it's a clear success though, and I really enjoyed being manhandled in such a way.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)
Sequel set 50 years from the original with the hippies replaced by influencers. It started ok but I just didn't care about the characters, in fact, the characters are the kind of people I can't stand in real life so wanted them dead. The set looked like a "set" and having so many people arrive in town takes away from the isolation that made the original such a classic. At least there was decent gore and it was very short so I wasn't bored. Better than Halloween Kills 5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Spontaneous. A 2020 film by Brian Duffield about a high-school where kids in senior year start to spontaneously and inexplicably explode. This obviously leads to a lot of panic and distress, and we follow one girl as she lives through this with her friends and parents.

This sounds like a weird premise, and it is, but it works really well. The first two thirds of the film is actually a sort of romantic comedy with very dark humour (not horror though; the exploding is done in a way that doesn't become gory), while in the final third, the mood shifts and it becomes more of a coming-of-age drama. The shift is not ideal, but overall, the story works well and the film really manages to pull you along. Good acting and well filmed as well. The exploding students sounds like a gimmick, but it is used to good effect, highlighting the sort of worries and fears that high-school kids go through, and how the world can feel to conspire against them.

We watched this because it sounded like it would be quirky and funny, but it was actually surprisingly deep (if you care to think about it; they don't hammer it in) and really well made. 7/10

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Spontaneous. A 2020 film by Brian Duffield about a high-school were kids in senior year start to spontaneously and inexplicably explode. This obviously leads to a lot of panic and distress, and we follow one girl as she lives through this with her friends and parents.

This sounds like a weird premise, and it is, but it works really well. The first two thirds of the film is actually a sort of romantic comedy with very dark humour (not horror though; the exploding is done in a way that doesn't become gory), while in the final third, the mood shifts and it becomes more of a coming-of-age drama. The shift is not ideal, but overall, the story works well and the film really manages to pull you along. Good acting and well filmed as well. The exploding students sounds like a gimmick, but it is used to good effect, highlighting the sort of worries and fears that high-school kids go through, and how the world can feel to conspire against them.

We watched this because it sounded like it would be quirky and funny, but it was actually surprisingly deep (if you care to think about it; they don't hammer it in) and really well made. 7/10
Genuinely great movie.

Not ‘great’ as in truly exceptional or a must-see. But a reminder that there are some ferociously talented people in cinema. It’s a real treat of a movie. The early twist is handled well and it’s just really enjoyable.

Im an absolute sucker for original thought and great premises. It’s rare that a great idea gets married to capable people and production.

Highly recommend it to anyone. It’s really quite deep, as you say. A friend and I sat around exploring so many of the jumping off points it gives you, over far too much wine. Glad you reminded me of it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Genuinely great movie.

Not ‘great’ as in truly exceptional or a must-see. But a reminder that there are some ferociously talented people in cinema. It’s a real treat of a movie. The early twist is handled well and it’s just really enjoyable.

Im an absolute sucker for original thought and great premises. It’s rare that a great idea gets married to capable people and production.

Highly recommend it to anyone. It’s really quite deep, as you say. A friend and I sat around exploring so many of the jumping off points it gives you, over far too much wine. Glad you reminded me of it.
Yeah, original thought and a great premise describe it quite well!

Also, I saw it had a very limited release yet has been reviewed (very positively) by places like RogerEbert.com, The Guardian, etc. So it certainly made a splash among critics.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Crow
Sick and tired of watching shit movies so went back to a safe pick. Always love watching this. So fun and great setting/atmosphere. Very 90s but in a good way 8/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Spontaneous. A 2020 film by Brian Duffield about a high-school where kids in senior year start to spontaneously and inexplicably explode. This obviously leads to a lot of panic and distress, and we follow one girl as she lives through this with her friends and parents.

I watched this when it came out and I liked the first 2/3 but thought the last 1/3 was a mess.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-redcafe-movie-review-thread.165633/post-26200600

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I watched this when it came out and I liked the first 2/3 but thought the last 1/3 was a mess.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-redcafe-movie-review-thread.165633/post-26200600
Yeah, I can see that. I was kinda determined to give this the benefit of the doubt because it started too well, but I did feel at some point (some 10-30 min from the end) that the film had lost its charm and direction. It got its story back for a pretty OK ending, but that final third was quite a drag in places, yeah.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, I can see that. I was kinda determined to give this the benefit of the doubt because it started too well, but I did feel at some point (some 10-30 min from the end) that the film had lost its charm and direction. It got its story back for a pretty OK ending, but that final third was quite a drag in places, yeah.
When the
boyfriend exploded
was when it should have ended. The first part had unexplored ideas they could have used to get the run time up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
When the
boyfriend exploded
was when it should have ended. The first part had unexplored ideas they could have used to get the run time up.
As much as I hated when that happened (I love feel-good endings!), I do think the film needed something like that to happen.

I mean, she had basically been cruising through everything before. Yeah, she was upset by it, but it didn't hit home all that much for her. The story kinda needed that extra infusion by taking out either her friend or her boyfriend. I think it's rather the follow-up that was disappointing. She basically becomes a drunk and has zero agency or initiative left; the whole situation becomes a sulking bore. (As much as she had every right to behave that way at that point, but it's not a documentary!) I don't know what the better follow-up would have been, but I do think pushing the story into the next gear in this way was necessary.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As much as I hated when that happened (I love feel-good endings!), I do think the film needed something like that to happen.
Then again I thought that Homeland should have ended with
Brody detonating himself and Homeland only having one season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

I mean, she had basically been cruising through everything before. Yeah, she was upset by it, but it didn't hit home all that much for her. The story kinda needed that extra infusion by taking out either her friend or her boyfriend. I think it's rather the follow-up that was disappointing. She basically becomes a drunk and has zero agency or initiative left; the whole situation becomes a sulking bore. (As much as she had every right to behave that way at that point, but it's not a documentary!) I don't know what the better follow-up would have been, but I do think pushing the story into the next gear in this way was necessary.
Hmmmm. I liked it (as I said).

A kid that’s never seen trauma, sees some, it doesn’t hit, then it does, it falls apart, and she becomes something different.

I like the imperfection of the whole thing, It felt like life. No idea if that’s over analysis or whether that was the goal.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hmmmm. I liked it (as I said).

A kid that’s never seen trauma, sees some, it doesn’t hit, then it does, it falls apart, and she becomes something different.

I like the imperfection of the whole thing, It felt like life. No idea if that’s over analysis or whether that was the goal.
I can see that, but I think the tone of the film shifted so much that it's a little hard to come along.
Then again I thought that Homeland should have ended with
Brody detonating himself and Homeland only having one season.
Haven't ever seen it!

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Blonde (2022)

A decent film, won't be watching it again

Ana De Armas is fantastic in it, but in many ways, it just feels exploitative, I suppose Monroe was exploited repeatedly so perhaps that's the point of the film in some form of meta-contextualization.

AaronRedDevil

Is Viola Davis the best actress in Hollywood? She's phenomenal in everything. Oh yeah and the Woman King was brilliant.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Clean (2021)

Tormented by his past, a garbage man named Clean attempts a quiet life of redemption. But, soon finds himself forced to reconcile with the violence of his past.

Bloody awful in every way apart from it not being too long.

Terrible.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Into the deep: The submarine murder case

God this guy was fecked up. Its always the charming ones you have to watch out for. Well worth a watch albeit difficult at times.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Clean (2021)

Tormented by his past, a garbage man named Clean attempts a quiet life of redemption. But, soon finds himself forced to reconcile with the violence of his past.

Bloody awful in every way apart from it not being too long.

Terrible.
Just sounds stupid.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Smile (2022)

Fairly decent modern Horror film. It's a good concept which plays on both the super natural and also mental illness. Few clichéd moments but I really enjoyed it. Lots of jumps scares and the director builds up the suspense very well in several scenes.

7/10. Definitely worth a watch.

pauldyson1uk

Hellraiser (2022)

I was not expecting this to be any good, I was wrong, I thought it was very good.
Jamie Clayton's Pinhead was outstanding.
Was this remake up to the original, very much so I thought.
If you are a fan of the Hellraiser films, I think you will enjoy this, one of the best remakes I have seen.

7.5/10

TheReligion

Abusive
Hellraiser (2022)

I was not expecting this to be any good, I was wrong, I thought it was very good.
If you are a fan of the Hellraiser films, I think you will enjoy this, one of the best remakes I have seen.

7.5/10
These films always freaked me out as a kid

marktan

Anyone else watched Elvis and surprised by the 7.5 rating on imdb? I watched the Johnny Cash biopic a few weeks ago, which is rated 7.8, and it was miles ahead of this one.

Jumpy, weird narrations, no real insight into Elvis, no emotional depth.. I thought it was terrible. A 2 and a half hour film gives you the opportunity to really show things that people may not know, both from a music and personal perspective.. and I feel like I learnt more from a 5 minute skim through Wikipedia.

4/10

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Hellraiser (2022)

7.5/10
Niice. I'll watch anything The Hellraiser and the Leprechaun sagas come up with.

caid

Anyone else watched Elvis and surprised by the 7.5 rating on imdb? I watched the Johnny Cash biopic a few weeks ago, which is rated 7.8, and it was miles ahead of this one.

Jumpy, weird narrations, no real insight into Elvis, no emotional depth.. I thought it was terrible. A 2 and a half hour film gives you the opportunity to really show things that people may not know, both from a music and personal perspective.. and I feel like I learnt more from a 5 minute skim through Wikipedia.

4/10
I gave up on biopics of musicians and pretty much anyone famous a few years back. Feels like they're just a vehicle for a weak, hollywood trope filled, retread of Walk the Line which was fantastic. The John C Reilly spoof was great though, cant remember the name now.