Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Out of interest, are you still of the opinion that David Bowie is just about on a cultural par with… Amy Winehouse?
:lol:

Hey I’ve maybe changed my views a bit, but overall yes I still think Midge Ure has made the best Bowie tune! Tbf a lot of people think Mr Lawrence is just a ok war film and some critics really hated Bowie performance at the time, they would be wrong but sadly the only lasting impact of the film is mostly the great theme song.

Also to give the 2017 version of myself a bit of credit, the current biggest pop star in the world Billie Ellish views Winehouse as a generational inspiration. Winehouse life and work is far more relatable to the modern pop star than Bowie(Who was mostly massively successful and had a ton of creative freedom).
If so, Moonage Daydream is a pretty good watch, btw. It’s a semi audio-visual art collage much more fitting for Bowie’s career than a standard biopic doc… im sure it might not be quite Kapida’s Amy, but it’s up there :smirk:
Cheers. Saw the trailer for this and wanted to watch it in an imax but never got the chance. Will give it a watch.

Last edited:

caid

Banshees of Inisherin
This wont be as popular or as approachable as In Bruges. A film about Ireland and Irish ennui, I think you'd probably need to be pretty familiar with Ireland to get it.
All the characters are caricatures but still instantly recognisable and familiar. The detachment from the events of the outside world and the boredom that leads people to doing the most dramatic shit for a bit of entertainment is again very recognisable. Just very funny, not sure how the jokes throughout would translate
8/10 a high 8 for me

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yeah it's odd. While it's very impressive and impossible to tell, for me at least in a lot of the scenes I prefer the original. The emptiness and disconnection in some parts of america, is one of more interesting/dystopian things about the country(Also I wonder if it's just labour saving costs, cheaper to use CGI than to get set designers and workers to build real sets)

For anyone interested

That's another cool reel. I think you're right about the labor-saving of using CGI this way as opposed to creating on site sets for everything but there definitely exist some dystopian looking places in middle America that wouldn't need much to craft the right setting (although finding the perfect one for a specific shot might be time consuming).

dinostar77

Home Team (on netflix).

Based on a true story: in 2012 NFL coach for New Orlean Saints was suspended for a year. So he went and coached his son's high school football team.

Imagine Klopp being suspended for a year as liverpool manager and him going off to coach his sons secondary school team. Same idea.

Excellent movie, heartwarming and funny. One screen had me in stitches to the point i couldnt breath, cause i was laughing so much.

Its a adam sandler production and rob schneider is in it, so if you like that sort of humour you'll love it.

It put a big smile on my face.

Last edited:

DON’T PANIC ™

Banshees of Inisherin
This wont be as popular or as approachable as In Bruges. A film about Ireland and Irish ennui, I think you'd probably need to be pretty familiar with Ireland to get it.
All the characters are caricatures but still instantly recognisable and familiar. The detachment from the events of the outside world and the boredom that leads people to doing the most dramatic shit for a bit of entertainment is again very recognisable. Just very funny, not sure how the jokes throughout would translate
8/10 a high 8 for me
I watched this last night. Enjoyed it to a point, but felt slightly disappointed at the end, there was no closure to the story for me. Some might say that’s the point but I felt I wanted more.
As you say, some very Irish humour that some mightn’t get. The yanks will lap up the scenery and quaintness of it all. Tipped for Oscars, I believe.

caid

I watched this last night. Enjoyed it to a point, but felt slightly disappointed at the end, there was no closure to the story for me. Some might say that’s the point but I felt I wanted more.
As you say, some very Irish humour that some mightn’t get. The yanks will lap up the scenery and quaintness of it all. Tipped for Oscars, I believe.
It did look fantastic. The end felt as familiar as the rest of the film to me
that generational family feud stemming from 2 former friends having a fight over a beloved donkey murdered with a severed finger just sounds like an entirely logical progression somehow

Wing Attack Plan R

Glass Onion: Knives Out 2

Pale imitation of the first. Long, draggy, not funny and not really a good mystery either.

So many obvious or stupid stuff happens just to further the plot. And the ending was just plain idiotic and makes the whole mystery solving redundant!

3/10. Just for Craig despite his excessive droning.
I thought it was pretty dumb too. What does Daniel Craig and Janelle Monae sound like to Britz? They are both doing shit accents that don’t exist in the USA. Both movies I thought Daniel Craig was taking the piss , but no that’s supposed to be a Southern accent.

Can’t stand Kate Hudson. fecking nepotism. She can’t act, she’s nothing to look at, why the feck is she in movies??

It’s shot well and directed well, but the story is dumb. The best part of the movie is the puzzle boxes at the beginning. Where’d that guy go?

Jev

I enjoyed Glass Onion. As with the first, I found it to be an immensely entertaining movie, just really fun to watch. Unlike the first, I found it to be underwhelming as a crime mystery and the last 30-45 minutes didn't keep me intrigued like the first half of the film.

7/10.

Wing Attack Plan R

Out of interest, are you still of the opinion that David Bowie is just about on a cultural par with… Amy Winehouse?

If so, Moonage Daydream is a pretty good watch, btw. It’s a semi audio-visual art collage much more fitting for Bowie’s career than a standard biopic doc… im sure it might not be quite Kapida’s Amy, but it’s up there :smirk:
What does the bolded bit mean? Was someone saying Bowie and Winehouse were equals, or had equal cache/influence? In the US Winehouse is basically a non-entity, while Bowie is universally adored. It always blows my mind when I find out what things are popular in the UK.

AlPistacho

How is he
the same cnut that designed these amazing puzzle boxes and then becomes dumber than a bag of hammers?
I think you already know but
he didn’t design the puzzle or create/produce anything in his life, all were other peoples ideas or stuff he paid people to do

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The Batman (2022)

Loved the opening. Then got bored with the corrupt cop spiel yet again and got lost. Will need to revisit. A lot of praise for having a detective Batman but I thought the riddles were badly done and lacked ingenuity. Visually great though. The casting is great, John Turturro, Colin Farrell, Paul Dano, I was invested in nearly every character.

Wing Attack Plan R

he didn't design them, he hired someone else to. He is dumber than a bag of hammers
Another weird element was this group of “shit heads” is initially presented as some puzzle-solving legends but when we meet the characters, they too are dumber than a bag of hammers, The scientist maybe not, but everyone else is vapid, or shallow. It’s like the director forgot these we’re supposed to be puzzle solvers, or they wrote it out of the rest of the story.

caid

Another weird element was this group of “shit heads” is initially presented as some puzzle-solving legends but when we meet the characters, they too are dumber than a bag of hammers, The scientist maybe not, but everyone else is vapid, or shallow. It’s like the director forgot these we’re supposed to be puzzle solvers, or they wrote it out of the rest of the story.
They weren't though. 2 of them are presented as a bit stupid straight off the bat. Dave Bautista's mother solves half the clues.

Wing Attack Plan R

They weren't though. 2 of them are presented as a bit stupid straight off the bat. Dave Bautista's mother solves half the clues.
If that’s the case, it makes it even more irrelevant to the story. Ed Norton even calls them his “puzzle-solving whizzes” or something similar. Are you going to force me to watch that bit again? Damn you.

uggh!!

Birdie is presented as being too stupid to live, but the others are mostly competent. Stereogram, chess move, Morse code, compass heading, musical fugue, Fibonacci sequence, abacus, star chart, atomic number for silver (which Bautista knows without looking it up).

“I hope your puzzle-solving skills are whetted.” Is what is written on the card. So maybe it’s a mixed bag of competent puzzle solvers (Lionel, politician, Bautista) and morons.

This movie is totally style over substance. If it’s any consolation, my kids loved this movie (“10 out of 10”). I really liked Looper, but I hated that Star Wars turkey he cooked up, Brick was style over substance again. Rian Johnson is a talented director but he should leave the writing to others.

caid

If that’s the case, it makes it even more irrelevant to the story. Ed Norton even calls them his “puzzle-solving whizzes” or something similar. Are you going to force me to watch that bit again? Damn you.

uggh!!

Birdie is presented as being too stupid to live, but the others are mostly competent. Stereogram, chess move, Morse code, compass heading, musical fugue, Fibonacci sequence, abacus, star chart, atomic number for silver (which Bautista knows without looking it up).

“I hope your puzzle-solving skills are whetted.” Is what is written on the card. So maybe it’s a mixed bag of competent puzzle solvers (Lionel, politician, Bautista) and morons.

This movie is totally style over substance. If it’s any consolation, my kids loved this movie (“10 out of 10”). I really liked Looper, but I hated that Star Wars turkey he cooked up, Brick was style over substance again. Rian Johnson is a talented director but he should leave the writing to others.
I assumed that was his mother to be honest. I made a joke saying 'i hope his mother has an invite or they're fecked' at that point. I mean 4 of 9 and 1 solved by random musician at party. I read it more as a comment on the brilliance of Ed Nortons puzzles rather than these people being brilliant puzzle solvers necessarily.
I mean its kind of implied they're all brilliant, clever people in their fields and finding out they're total morons is kind of the reveal of the movie

Wing Attack Plan R

I assumed that was his mother to be honest. I made a joke saying 'i hope his mother has an invite or they're fecked' at that point. I mean 4 of 9 and 1 solved by random musician at party. I read it more as a comment on the brilliance of Ed Nortons puzzles rather than these people being brilliant puzzle solvers necessarily.
I mean its kind of implied they're all brilliant, clever people in their fields and finding out they're total morons is kind of the reveal of the movie
The more I think about this movie, the more i dislike it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Plus at least a few of the individual puzzles we saw weren't that difficult. Recognising the layout of a chessboard and playing the right move, realising that the X's and O's next to the morse code tapper were probably morse code and arranging the tile jigsaw correctly are fairly solveable at least. And in real life you could google the correct chess move and morse code, so you'd only really have to actually recognise what you're being asked for.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Passengers (2016)

I honestly enjoyed the movie a lot. I understand from the internet that a lot of people hate Chris Pratt's character, but I find it interesting how the situation effects his decision making and emotions. Being alone drives every person insane and become an emotional wreck. Basically a love story and I like how it ended, but when you think about it, it is kinda messed up ending: it's either a forced romance or love for heroism.

9.5 out of 10
This video is worth a watch if you have eight minutes.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Banshees of Inisherin
8/10 a high 8 for me
Just watched this as well. McDonagh is such an incredible writer it's unreal. The way he makes his dialogue flow so naturally whilst still providing tons of laughs is just impressive as feck, and the way he jabs you in the heart in an instant should be thrown in the face of other writer/directors who try and fail to mix humour with serious subject matter. I think I've loved every single one of his films and they all deliver something completely different. It helps that for such an accomplished writer, he's not afraid to get childish and playful at times.

The guy took the simple premise of "two friends fall out" and turned it into something golden. It helps when you have a cast as good as this one as well. I do wonder if Colm also did what he did because he was unable to blame himself for his boring life - so he just kept digging deeper and deeper instead of accepting reality?

For what it's worth I don't think it's as inaccessible as you worry it might be. It's like Trainspotting for Scots; we worry others won't understand it but those characters are also universal.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Just watched this as well. McDonagh is such an incredible writer it's unreal. The way he makes his dialogue flow so naturally whilst still providing tons of laughs is just impressive as feck, and the way he jabs you in the heart in an instant should be thrown in the face of other writer/directors who try and fail to mix humour with serious subject matter. I think I've loved every single one of his films and they all deliver something completely different. It helps that for such an accomplished writer, he's not afraid to get childish and playful at times.
If you ever get the chance it’s well worth trying to get tickets to one of his plays. Went to The Lieutenant of Inishmore(The leader of a IRA splinter group goes crazy after someone kills his pet cat) a few years back and it was alot of fun.

Wing Attack Plan R

That was Yo Yo Ma, btw.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Rewatched 1917 last night as it was on the BBC. Still holds up as a great movie experience and the trench sequence is one of my favourite movie scenes, tense as hell. But, after watching All Quiet on the Western Front, it makes WW1 look like a fun fair in comparison!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I'm in the mood for a historical epic tonight, preferably set in Asia. I haven't seen The Last Emperor. Should I watch it? Or something else?

caid

I'm in the mood for a historical epic tonight, preferably set in Asia. I haven't seen The Last Emperor. Should I watch it? Or something else?
Been a long time but i remember it being pretty great.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rented Mulholland Drive there last weekend. I had not seen it in years and had forgotten most of it. So good though.