Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

flameinthesun

Just watched Silver Linings Playbook for the first time. Think its become one of my favourite films. The way its filmed and the script is so funny and clever. Im not a fan of romantic films but this one is superb.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
Not really sure why I persisted with this series, as the previous movie was bad and the first was average. Still, it was an easy watch over Xmas and I'm glad I made the effort as this was quite easily the best of the three. The effects in particular were excellent and Jude Law and Mads Mikkelson did a good job as the former lovers at loggerheads. It's a bit of a shame that it looks like this will be the last one (two more were planned), but the combined controversies of Depp, Rowling and Miller) appear to have fecked the box office return ($400m off a $200m budget). It looks like they were heading into Nazi territory with the sequels, so it may be for the best.

7/10

The Bad Guys
New animation from Dreamworks starring Sam Rockwell (the sole reason I gave this a chance). It was a lot of fun, well-animated and the cast were up for it; predictable plot, but when isn't it? Kids will love it.

7/10

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yo pops how was it?
It was exactly what I was looking for last night, perfect epic. Main thing I look for in these is an authentic sense of the time and place and I think it captures that really well. It’s really beautiful too. Have to read up now a bit more on the background.

Sweet Square

Hold Me Tight(2021)

Incredibly moving film on family, grief, memories and the struggles to continue living.

Reminded me of Tarkovsky Mirror in the way it used time and reality. Also not a lot more can be said of Vicky Krieps, she is one of the best actors in the world.

10/10

Unam333

Just watched Silver Linings Playbook for the first time. Think its become one of my favourite films. The way its filmed and the script is so funny and clever. Im not a fan of romantic films but this one is superb.
It's a great movie, I agree. Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic in this one.

Threads
Very disturbing movie. Hopefully Putin doesn't push the red button. Would be a nightmare scenario.

7 out of 10

Malignant

James Wan really is the king of modern horror. Another great horror movie. Totally threw me off the whole time. The last part of the movie (the policemen part) was amazing to watch.

9 out of 10

Knives Out: Glass Onion

I think the first movie (9 out of 10) was better than the sequel, but I enjoyed Glass Onion. Madelyn Cline is absolutely stunning! Never heard of her before. Yes, I like her, she's truly lovely.

Back to the movie, I like the smart storytelling: the movie offers the viewer so many details and information, but in the end everything comes together.

8 out of 10 + 0.5 (because of Madelyn Cline) = 8.5 out of 10

Matilda: The Musical

Loved the original movie, so naturally I had to watch this one. Emma Thompson received great praise for her role as Miss Trunchbull or so I heard.

Problem for me was that the songs weren't great nor memorable. The actress who played Matilda is adorable, but she can't sing.

Danny DeVito and Rhea Peelman were better Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood. Further more, Embeth Davidtz was a better Miss Honey.

I didn't like Miss Trunchbull at all, it doesn't make sense she got bullied by Matilda the whole time. Just put Matilda in the chokey!

7.5 out of 10

Last edited:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Lovely film. One of the best of the 10s.

Drawfull

I'm on a bit of a Time Loop binge at the moment, but with these two I've done all the ones I can think of.

Palm Springs - Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, but I don't get this kind of puerile humour, or its intended audience. Since all TL films are starting from the same basic premise, this managed to screw it up pretty much from the get-go for me. The cast are unlikeable, the jokes unfunny, and the plot for what it was, was awful.

3/10

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
- Much preferred this to the above. Although it's aimed at I guess a tweenage audience, the two leads were both great throughout, the story could have been cliche again, but it has a few standout parts with quite an original hook tied to the Groundhog Day plot and there's a nice little wrinkle/twist on top. There's two scenes that remind me a lot of the intro to Baby Driver, and feel really well choreographed (opening scene and then when they go shopping later on). Feelgood fare that's perfect for Xmas. Shame it's streaming-only (Prime)

8/10

pauldyson1uk

Threads
Very disturbing movie. Hopefully Putin doesn't push the red button. Would be a nightmare scenario.

7 out of 10
for its time Threads is pretty scary, I remember the first time I watched it, I was terrified by it.
The hight of the cold war and a nuclear war was a very real possibility, only the year before this film was made 1983, A military exercise cause NATO to go to DEFCON 1.
There is another film , The Day After made in 1983, that is also worth watching.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
for its time Threads is pretty scary, I remember the first time I watched it, I was terrified by it.
The hight of the cold war and a nuclear war was a very real possibility, only the year before this film was made 1983, A military exercise cause NATO to go to DEFCON 1.
There is another film , The Day After made in 1983, that is also worth watching.
Absolutely. There were a few that were released in 83 / 84 that were terrifying.

Think this is what you were referring to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Bad Guys
Animated Oceans 11 type movie. Fun for kids and decent for adults. Sam Rockwell is my main man 6.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah man, it's just so good. I know it's not for everyone, but it's got everything I look for in a movie, so for me it's a 10.
Don't think it would be a 10 for me, but all the same - yeah, great film. :)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Troll

A Norwegian attempt that is mostly a rip off from other movies like Godzilla and Jurassic Park. Coupled with a awful plot that doesn't make sense and some bad acting, disappointing!

3/10.

The Nice Guy

Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe absolutely suck full time. Neither funny for a comedy or intriguing for a mystery, this was just plain bad.

3/10

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Nice Guy

Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe absolutely suck full time. Neither funny for a comedy or intriguing for a mystery, this was just plain bad.

3/10
What is wrong with you? Why are you throwing around 3s out of 10 with reckless abandon?

You can do better than this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Knives Out: Glass Onion Another Agatha Cristie style film. Worse than the very ordinary first one. Huge yawn. 5/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Troll

A Norwegian attempt that is mostly a rip off from other movies like Godzilla and Jurassic Park. Coupled with a awful plot that doesn't make sense and some bad acting, disappointing!

3/10.

The Nice Guy

3/10
Who hurt you?

Pirlo'sBeard

Sicario (2015) - a Denis Villeneuve thriller. Some great cinematography but I feel this film had much more potential. Benicio del Toro is superb.

8/10

Shutter Island
- A thriller from Martin Scorsese starring DiCaprio. I heard this was a headwrecker and it duly was. Great movie.

8.5/10

ScholesyTheWise

I woke up yesterday at 3 AM or so, aware that I just had an unpleasant dream involving Hannibal Lecter in some way. couldn't go back to sleep so decided to rewatch Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal after some 15 years or so.

Silence of the Lambs is as brilliant as always and ages quite well.
Hannibal, I remembered to be much better.

Anyone else reckons it's a bit crap, in a way I can't really pin down at the moment?
Hopkins is magnificent as ever, Julianne Moore is decent enough, Alan Rickman as that crippled-faced man is very good...
Yet the film as a whole lacks something.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sicario (2015) - a Denis Villeneuve thriller. Some great cinematography but I feel this film had much more potential. Benicio del Toro is superb.

8/10

Shutter Island
- A thriller from Martin Scorsese starring DiCaprio. I heard this was a headwrecker and it duly was. Great movie.

8.5/10
I'd honestly forget that Sicario was directed by Villeneuve. It must be one of his least memorable movies.

Really enjoyed Shutter Island on the other hand. A really engaging twisty-turny movie.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Secretary (2002)

So eh...that was quite something. Interesting watch, there aren't quite many movies like this.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’ve watched a lot of movies this Xmas. Will try an remember

Amazon:
Everything everywhere all at once - didn’t do it for me at all 5/10
Wind River - 6/10
Goodnight Mommy - 4/10
X - terrific slasher movie - 8/10

SKY:
Top Gun - hadn’t seen it since I was a kid. Cringe/cheese fest but ok,- 6/10
Top Gun Maverick- was fairly by the numbers but the final third was great action 7.5/10
Secrets of Dumbeldore - better than I was expecting 7/10
King Richard - loved it and will smith as superb - 8/10

Netflix:
The Wonder - interesting story and some good performances - 7/10
The Name of the Game - documentary about a finish game developer. Good stuff 7/10

Disney:
Banshees of Inisherin - best movie of the year for me. Just truly wonderful movie and cast. Hope it feature at the Oscars 9.5/10
Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - looked stunning in 4K. Disney 4K looks so much up better than Netflix. 6/10
Thor Love and Thunder - far better than I had expected 7.5/10

One more film to go. Will watch Barbarian later tonight

pauldyson1uk

I woke up yesterday at 3 AM or so, aware that I just had an unpleasant dream involving Hannibal Lecter in some way. couldn't go back to sleep so decided to rewatch Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal after some 15 years or so.

Silence of the Lambs is as brilliant as always and ages quite well.
Hannibal, I remembered to be much better.

Anyone else reckons it's a bit crap, in a way I can't really pin down at the moment?
Hopkins is magnificent as ever, Julianne Moore is decent enough, Alan Rickman as that crippled-faced man is very good...
Yet the film as a whole lacks something.
I like the film, I think the problem is Julianne Moore, she is a very good actress, but is no Jodie Foster and Clarice Starling is her part.

Sweet Square

It was worth it just for Scott commentary

Tbh I’ve ever quite got the praise for Silence Of The Lambs, in terms of horror or as a thriller movie. It’s incredibly campy and funny, which makes it a great watch but there’s a cum throwing scene and Hopkins as Lecter is pretty much a comedy parody character.

Getting killed/eaten by the guy would be a right laugh, chewing into my left arm as he slags off the timberland boots I brought in a Black Friday sale.

Always had the view that Mann Manhunter(Brian Cox as Lector and William Petersen as the detective)is the high point in the film series.