Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Agree with everything about acting and atmosphere. Although think the end is where it just feels cheap, might have to give a rewatch to see if there are hints & clues, then I’ll say ok it wasn’t just a cheap unthreaded in ending.
I’m not sure it’s cheap per se but I agree it wasn’t as well threaded it could be. I also thought it was pretty obvious who stole Fry’s heart (the Marquis family) from the start. But it was an enjoyable couple of hours overall.

AlPistacho

I’m not sure it’s cheap per se but I agree it wasn’t as well threaded it could be. I also thought it was pretty obvious who stole Fry’s heart (the Marquis family) from the start. But it was an enjoyable couple of hours overall.
Your right. Cheap was the wrong word. Wrote that first then realised unthreaded was better but like a numpty kept cheap too.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Prisoners. Denis Villeneuve's 2013 mystery thriller featuring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal about two girls that disappear and a detective and a dad that go each look for them in their own ways.

As pretty much always with Villeneuve, it's extremely well made, fairly grim, and stays interesting until the end. As with Sicario, though, I felt the film lacked a point, or in this case maybe a heart. It's kinda hard to explain; what's the point of any film that isn't carrying a social or political message?

Still, somehow I felt that Villeneuve's Incendies was positively great, while this film lacked 'something', and made me wonder what was the point of watching it. Maybe it's a lack of emotional resolution (positive or negative) at the end? I mean, the resolution is great in theory: it's a very conclusive ending that completes the story 100% and is rather satisfactory - but at the same time it did little for me emotionally. Maybe it's the understated nature of the ending.

Anyway, too bad. Still 7/10 I guess.
I'm convinced Villeneuve makes deliberately sterile films for the purpose of reminding you why emotion is important - a kind of inverse reminder that life without it is as morose as his films tend to depict.

It's a testament I think to his strength as a filmmaking that he gets away with it. Enemy is similar in tone. That movie made me feel very uncomfortable.

Good review btw.

caid

I liked The Menu too. Was funny, was silly. Not a classic that people must see but was easy to enjoy

caid

I'm convinced Villeneuve makes deliberately sterile films for the purpose of reminding you why emotion is important - a kind of inverse reminder that life without it is as morose as his films tend to depict.

It's a testament I think to his strength as a filmmaking that he gets away with it. Enemy is similar in tone. That movie made me feel very uncomfortable.

Good review btw.
That felt intentional to me. I'm sure it was in Enemy's case. Maybe its a theme he comes back to? Sounds about right for Sicario too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Good review btw.
I'm sure he doesn't see it that way, but yeah! It's like his camerawork: always meticulous, but sometimes a film needs a little mess to get something across and that's just not in Villeneuve's cinematic vocabulary, it seems. But otherwise, absolutely, he's super strong.

I have to stay I'm always quite curious about his first films, Polytechnique and Maelstrom. I thought Incendies packed a stronger punch than anything he's done since (although I haven't seen Enemy yet), so I'm wondering if that's a standout or part of his earlier style.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sure he doesn't see it that way, but yeah! It's like his camerawork: always meticulous, but sometimes a film needs a little mess to get something across and that's just not in Villeneuve's cinematic vocabulary, it seems. But otherwise, absolutely, he's super strong.

I have to stay I'm always quite curious about his first films, Polytechnique and Maelstrom. I thought Incendies packed a stronger punch than anything he's done since (although I haven't seen Enemy yet), so I'm wondering if that's a standout or part of his earlier style.
Ooo I haven't seen Incendies. Maybe this is the wrong phrase but... Did you like it?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ooo I haven't seen Incendies. Maybe this is the wrong phrase but... Did you like it?
Yes, it's my favorite Villeneuve film, and I keep going on about it. :D This is what I said about it in this thread:
Incendies. Another Villeneuve film, from before he went to Hollywood, and this one is really good. His usual type of great shots and camerawork, combined with great acting and, this time, a story that really works.

To their surprise, twins find out when their mother dies that they have a brother and that their dad is still alive, and that they have to go from their home in Canada to Lebanon (not identified as such, but clearly Lebanon), where their mum grew up and they were born, to find them back. In what unfolds, they learn a lot about their mother's life and the drama of civil war.

The story's details were a little confusing sometimes (well, for me; it was super clear to my wife!), but it is very well developed and the drama is very impactful. I'd really recommend this one.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Tbh I’m always expecting in the future for it to become a cult classic.
Now I want to rewatch it as well. it does seem like the type of film that can be a cult classic. I'm going to recommend it to a few friends who might like it.

Prisoners. Denis Villeneuve's 2013 mystery thriller featuring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal about two girls that disappear and a detective and a dad that go each look for them in their own ways.

As pretty much always with Villeneuve, it's extremely well made, fairly grim, and stays interesting until the end. As with Sicario, though, I felt the film lacked a point, or in this case maybe a heart. It's kinda hard to explain; what's the point of any film that isn't carrying a social or political message?

Still, somehow I felt that Villeneuve's Incendies was positively great, while this film lacked 'something', and made me wonder what was the point of watching it. Maybe it's a lack of emotional resolution (positive or negative) at the end? I mean, the resolution is great in theory: it's a very conclusive ending that completes the story 100% and is rather satisfactory - but at the same time it did little for me emotionally. Maybe it's the understated nature of the ending.

Anyway, too bad. Still 7/10 I guess.
Sometimes films (and novels) focus more on character and individual choices and themes which can be meaningful and powerful to people who can relate to that. Typical personal themes include love, personal religion, revenge, redemption, creativity, and basically every theme related to human nature and the human condition. For me, a work of fiction or art doesn't have to focus on a social or political message to have a point. Prisoners deals with the concept of different types of prisons - physical, psychological, and emotional and the ramifications of such things. I think that can be mapped to a lot of different types of situations and like any good noir, it comes with a healthy dose of the repercussions of personal choices.

Curious, have you seen The Banshees of Inisherin? That's been a super popular movie here and among some friends of mine that really loved it but it's definitely one I would say doesn't carry a social or political message, its themes are much more personal.

Last edited:

AlPistacho

What's Fresh?
Decent movie, also on Disney. Lady has no luck in online dating, then finds a charming guy in the grocery store, he then has her round for dinner round his and things get interesting.

Just watched The Menu. Liked it. Found the humour better than Glass Onion.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sometimes films (and novels) focus more on character and individual choices and themes which can be meaningful and powerful to people who can relate to that. Typical personal themes include love, personal religion, revenge, redemption, creativity, and basically every theme related to human nature and the human condition. For me, a work of fiction or art doesn't have to focus on a social or political message to have a point. Prisoners deals with the concept of different types of prisons - physical, psychological, and emotional and the ramifications of such things. I think that can be mapped to a lot of different types of situations and like any good noir, it comes with a healthy dose of the repercussions of personal choices.

Curious, have you seen The Banshees of Inisherin? That's been a super popular movie here and among some friends of mine that really loved it but it's definitely one I would say doesn't carry a social or political message, its themes are much more personal.
Sorry, I guess that line of mine that you bolded wasn't clear. What I meant was that films don't have to have a clear social or political message to have a point (I don't think only those films have a point!), but that it's often hard to put into words what's the point of a film (in anyone's personal perception) if there isn't such a clear message. Somehow, for Prisoners I felt rather empty afterwards in that regard, and I was trying to figure out and put into words why that was.

I haven't seen Banshees yet btw.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Turtles are Surprisingly Fast Swimmers - A quirky Japanese comedy about a bored housewife who decides to be a spy. There's something absolutely charming about the whole thing - the characters, the stupid ass plot, the bright as feck colours. Juri Ueno is absolutely adorable in the the lead role too. The kind of movie that manages to melt this pretentious man's icy heart.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio - stop motion animation about the well known tale of Pinocchio. This departed from the main depictions (ie Disney) in some aspects. It was dark in places but enjoyable. Ending was quite touching and bittersweet. 7/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Decent movie, also on Disney. Lady has no luck in online dating, then finds a charming guy in the grocery store, he then has her round for dinner round his and things get interesting.

Just watched The Menu. Liked it. Found the humour better than Glass Onion.
Fresh sounds interesting, I'll give it a watch!

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I watched Banshees of Inisherin last night and have to say I enjoyed it. I deliberately didn't read much about it beforehand, so I went in without any expectations. Can't say I was a huge fan of In Bruges (I thought it was a good film but wouldn't rave about it) but I liked this better. The supporting cast were very good and, obviously, the backdrops are spectacularly beautiful. I can actually empathise with Gleeson's character, because I have a friend who I've known for 20 years or so, and I'd struggle to explain what I like about him but I could rattle off a dozen traits that really get on my nerves.

A solid 8/10 for me.

Drawfull

Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)

Aubrey Plaza and Mark Duplass et al work at a Seattle magazine and go to report on a story based on a a guy's classified ad where he's looking for someone with which to go back in time; it's based on an actual ad (which turned out to be a prank, wanker) for this purpose with the SNG strapline at the end. What's pitched as Sci-Fi is more of a rom-com but the characters carry the story well. And it's genuinely funny from time to time without trying too hard like so many other films do.

It reminded me a lot of The Girl Who Invented Kissing (which is a great rom-com), but the hook here is more that the time travel aspect is teased for most of the film's 90ish minutes with the inter-character relations more at the fore.

I couldn't find this streaming so ended up buying the UK Blu Ray (which I never received) and then the German version (which thankfully only has sporadic forced subs, if the language is set to English) called Journey of Love

7/10
in its genre, 6/10 in general

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Sorry, I guess that line of mine that you bolded wasn't clear. What I meant was that films don't have to have a clear social or political message to have a point (I don't think only those films have a point!), but that it's often hard to put into words what's the point of a film (in anyone's personal perception) if there isn't such a clear message. Somehow, for Prisoners I felt rather empty afterwards in that regard, and I was trying to figure out and put into words why that was.

I haven't seen Banshees yet btw.
Ah, yes, that makes more sense. Now that I think about it I suppose a lot of Prisoners' themes could be applied to the prison culture in America in addition to the other types of imprisonment it touches on (emotional, psychological, etc). I think those could be applied as a metaphor to greater social policy actually. And I thought about that because I Googled and it seems Banshees is a metaphor for the Irish Civil War (which I never would have guessed on my own). So even films that appear to just have personal themes could be seen as metaphor for greater issues.

Wing Attack Plan R

Aubrey Plaza and Mark Duplass et al work at a Seattle magazine and go to report on a story based on a a guy's classified ad where he's looking for someone with which to go back in time; it's based on an actual ad (which turned out to be a prank, wanker) for this purpose with the SNG strapline at the end. What's pitched as Sci-Fi is more of a rom-com but the characters carry the story well. And it's genuinely funny from time to time without trying too hard like so many other films do.

It reminded me a lot of The Girl Who Invented Kissing (which is a great rom-com), but the hook here is more that the time travel aspect is teased for most of the film's 90ish minutes with the inter-character relations more at the fore.

I couldn't find this streaming so ended up buying the UK Blu Ray (which I never received) and then the German version (which thankfully only has sporadic forced subs, if the language is set to English) called Journey of Love

7/10
I loved Safety Not Guaranteed . Great feeling in the movie, genuinely funny, some real pathos. It starts out like it’s going to be twee, especially with Aubrey Plaza in it, but the characters are actually pretty well grounded. It seems like it’s going to be cliches about city hustlers and country bumpkins, but then they take time to humanize both.

They made this for very little money. Fun Fact: the movie initially
didn’t show the time machine working at the end. They redid the ending so that Mark Duplass’s character wasn’t insane and delusional. That whole scene was a VFX fix, and I think it saved the picture.
10/10

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Now I want to rewatch it as well. it does seem like the type of film that can be a cult classic. I'm going to recommend it to a few friends who might like it.

Have you seen Upstream Color? I think you’d love it. It’s a brilliant film made by an absolute madman/genius.
10/10

Wing Attack Plan R

The Pale Blue Eye 7/10

Good murder mystery movie set however many hundred years ago. Acting was good, set design impressive, lost its way a bit near the end.
Get Out - finally got round to watching this highly discussed Jordan Peele thriller/horror and it did not disappoint. The storytelling and story were all superb, and a fantastic way to kill a couple of hours. Most horrors (or thrillers) miss their mark but this hit all the right notes without being too cliche’d. 8/10

The Pale Blue Eye -
mystery set in 1830s New York after an army cadet is found dead. Christian Bale teams up with Harry Melling (who plays Edgar Allen Poe) to solve the mystery. I have to say - it’s hard to out act Christian Bale, but Melling is superb here. The acting, cinematography and gothic nature are all superb. The story isn’t as enthralling as I would have hoped and it does trundle along rather than gather pace but the last 20 mins are certainly interesting. 7/10
Agree with everything about acting and atmosphere. Although think the end is where it just feels cheap, might have to give a rewatch to see if there are hints & clues, then I’ll say ok it wasn’t just a cheap unthreaded in ending.
I think the issue with The Pale Blue Eye was
if we are meant to be shocked when it’s revealed that Bale is the mysterious killer, they failed. They never gave the audience any reason to get emotionally invested in Bale. I think that part was written to be enigmatic when what it needed was a sense of “this is the hero”. Think of Jeff Bridges in True Grit. Despite the gruffness of the character, you knew he was the hero and that at some moment in the story he would be heroic and risk everything. In TPBE, Bale is a reserved dry drunk. He occasionally is in bed with a barkeep, but that’s emblematic of Scott Cooper’s style: they lay there talking without passion/emotion when they should have been going at it and using that intensity to “tell” things about Bale.

I also think it was meant for Jeff Bridges, because Cooper had been wanting to do the film for over a decade. Bridges would have elevated it, as much as I like Bale, Bridges would have been better.

They also shortchanged a bunch of dramatic developments, most notably the rape scene. In 1830, a young lady did not attend a big ball alone, and 3 cadets wouldn’t just suddenly be on hand to drunkenly rape her. This could have been addressed by having the woman in a carriage on the way home, it breaks down, the driver goes to get help, and then it happens. It made me think there were a bunch of scenes that got cut out that would have made this film emotionally powerful. It was surprisingly uninvolving. You never got the sense you were watching a Sherlock Holmes hot on a case. It was staid and slowly paced.
Actor playing Poe was excellent but I couldn’t decide if his face had been enhanced with CGI to make him more grotesque.

There is a John Cusack movie called The Raven where he plays Poe, and it’s a lot more interesting. There is more pathos and mystery and blood. It was creepy and macabre in a way that TPBE was like a movie without any vibe.

6/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ah, yes, that makes more sense. Now that I think about it I suppose a lot of Prisoners' themes could be applied to the prison culture in America in addition to the other types of imprisonment it touches on (emotional, psychological, etc). I think those could be applied as a metaphor to greater social policy actually. And I thought about that because I Googled and it seems Banshees is a metaphor for the Irish Civil War (which I never would have guessed on my own). So even films that appear to just have personal themes could be seen as metaphor for greater issues.
Yeah, there is often a lot behind a (good) script that we may miss, be it because it's very subtle, we lack knoweldge or context (including personal experiences), we can't connect emotionally (kinda the same as context) - or we're not paying attention properly (not excluding that for myself!).

Still, as much as that may be true, if I review a film, all I can do is give my personal experience with it. I usually read its Wikipedia page after I've finished a film and browse the IMDB factoids, which might help me find some aspects I'd missed, and I try to explain my views a bit; but ultimately, those reviews are impressions, not studies. As such, they might sometimes say more about me than the film, but so be it. :)

I guess it's a good thing I'm not a professional art critic. :)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Lovely understated film, with great performances and a lot of heart. A gem not enough people know about.

decorativeed

7/10
I quite enjoyed this film too. It's nothing special and I imagine it's the type that would be quite divisive given what transpires towards the end, but I like that kind of thing.

One thing that I always find myself wondering whether I missed something somewhere though: What's the deal with the ear ?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
American Hustle - saw this when it came out ten years ago & it still holds up very well. Great cast.

8 / 10

Zero Dark Thirty
- hadn’t seen this in a long while, wanted to rewatch as I just finished Echo 3. Both were written by Mark Boal (who also wrote The Hurt Locker). Some historical liberties were taken such as the female protagonist being a composite, but I don’t think they detract from the film. It’s a gripping showcase of the hunt for UBL.

8.5 / 10

Drawfull

I loved Safety Not Guaranteed . Great feeling in the movie, genuinely funny, some real pathos. It starts out like it’s going to be twee, especially with Aubrey Plaza in it, but the characters are actually pretty well grounded. It seems like it’s going to be cliches about city hustlers and country bumpkins, but then they take time to humanize both.

They made this for very little money. Fun Fact: the movie initially
didn’t show the time machine working at the end. They redid the ending so that Mark Duplass’s character wasn’t insane and delusional. That whole scene was a VFX fix, and I think it saved the picture.
10/10
Agreed, it would have been much less satisfying if they'd gone down that route

AlPistacho

I think the issue with The Pale Blue Eye was
if we are meant to be shocked when it’s revealed that Bale is the mysterious killer, they failed. They never gave the audience any reason to get emotionally invested in Bale. I think that part was written to be enigmatic when what it needed was a sense of “this is the hero”. Think of Jeff Bridges in True Grit. Despite the gruffness of the character, you knew he was the hero and that at some moment in the story he would be heroic and risk everything. In TPBE, Bale is a reserved dry drunk. He occasionally is in bed with a barkeep, but that’s emblematic of Scott Cooper’s style: they lay there talking without passion/emotion when they should have been going at it and using that intensity to “tell” things about Bale.

I also think it was meant for Jeff Bridges, because Cooper had been wanting to do the film for over a decade. Bridges would have elevated it, as much as I like Bale, Bridges would have been better.

They also shortchanged a bunch of dramatic developments, most notably the rape scene. In 1830, a young lady did not attend a big ball alone, and 3 cadets wouldn’t just suddenly be on hand to drunkenly rape her. This could have been addressed by having the woman in a carriage on the way home, it breaks down, the driver goes to get help, and then it happens. It made me think there were a bunch of scenes that got cut out that would have made this film emotionally powerful. It was surprisingly uninvolving. You never got the sense you were watching a Sherlock Holmes hot on a case. It was staid and slowly paced.
Actor playing Poe was excellent but I couldn’t decide if his face had been enhanced with CGI to make him more grotesque.

There is a John Cusack movie called The Raven where he plays Poe, and it’s a lot more interesting. There is more pathos and mystery and blood. It was creepy and macabre in a way that TPBE was like a movie without any vibe.

6/10
I see your point. And it’s true that character isn’t one you particular like or hate, and as you said Poe does steal the limelight.

I’ll also add
For films like this I like the twist to make sense. So once it’s revealed there are things you remember and think “ahhhhh” or things you notice on a rewatch that make the twist add up and seem obvious. Best example is The Usual Suspects. For TPBE I couldn’t remember anything, can’t be bothered to rewatch, so did a Google. And most the “hints” or “clues” are a stretch. With the exception of the very first scene.

Drawfull

I quite enjoyed this film too. It's nothing special and I imagine it's the type that would be quite divisive given what transpires towards the end, but I like that kind of thing.

One thing that I always find myself wondering whether I missed something somewhere though: What's the deal with the ear ?
I don't think you missed anything, but I couldn't see a reason for its inclusion either. It just became annoying as the colour was wrong

Drawfull

Clara (2018)

I loved this. A university lecturer teams up with the titular character in the search for habitable planets using the TESS telescope.

It's hard to review without spoilers, but it's a solid sci-fi movie, with unexpected twists that's for the most part based in fact, but it's not hard sci-fi. The underlying story is more romance/drama so that might be a no for some.

8/10

Is she or isn't she an alien? I watched it again a couple of times this afternoon, and I'm still not sure but it's pretty cool how there's loads of signs she might be scattered throughout the film, even before the viewer (on first viewing) might have considered the possibility. She draws the satellite early on, obviously has weird tattoos or markings (the constellation?), skin issues and takes some meds to help her survive on Earth. Or maybe she's like Louise in Arrival and can see the future in some way and she's fitting the narrative around that.

I also didn't know that they're real life husband and wife.

Last edited:

decorativeed

I don't think you missed anything, but I couldn't see a reason for its inclusion either. It just became annoying as the colour was wrong
I didn't notice that, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't see a reason for it beyond being a bit quirky.