Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sweet Square

I go to see films in cinema in a second-run cinema near where I live. The building used to be my town's 'proper' cinema, so they do have full-sized theatres, it's just all a little worn-down now. It's not a very popular place and I don't go to blockbuster-type films often, so I'm almost always alone. A little surprising at first, but now I actually appreciate it! :D
Oh that sounds nice. I’ve gone to see film on my own a few times(It’s great tbh)but first time it’s was just me in theatre.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Beau Is Afraid
Loved it although will really need to give it a second watch.

Also somewhat predictable

I was the only person in my cinema as well. Very weird experience
"I'm completely alone in this cinema."

Can't imagine anything better.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I was watching Blade Runner yesterday, which is a little sci-fi/noir movie from 1982, but realised I only own it on DVD and it'd look much better on blu ray so I bought a copy from Music Magpie and I'll let you know how it is after it arrives.

caid

+1
The only good cinema is a deserted cinema.

I was watching Blade Runner yesterday, which is a little sci-fi/noir movie from 1982, but realised I only own it on DVD and it'd look much better on blu ray so I bought a copy from Music Magpie and I'll let you know how it is after it arrives.
I wonder is there any argument for watching stuff like that in shitty, grainy VHS. Where the higher definitions start showing the sticky tape holding things together. Its more atmospheric or something?
Haven't watched a VHS in ages so im pretty sure I'm wrong and they're painful to watch but I associate Blade Runner and Terminator and Alien and a bunch of other movies with that look.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh that sounds nice. I’ve gone to see film on my own a few times(It’s great tbh)but first time it’s was just me in theatre.
Of course, there isn't as much choice; but then the big cinema in town mostly only shows the typical Hollywood stuff anyway, so I don't miss much over there. Actually, 'my' cinema often has some more interesting films as well, including francophone films from Quebec that the big cinema doesn't play, and kids films in French. So, win-win for me!

caid

Not for the people making these indie films.
I know. I kind of expect cinema's to not be a thing in the not too distant future. Or if they are to be exclusively for marvel movies basically. I'm a lot more forgiving of small independent cinemas to be fair.

Swordsman

Beau Is Afraid
Loved it although will really need to give it a second watch.

Also somewhat predictable

I was the only person in my cinema as well. Very weird experience
screen is small.. place looks like rundown..

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I hope you bought the Final Cut as it is the best version and digitally remastered. Looks great.

Drawfull

Really enjoyed John Wick 4, (digital in UK/EU today) apart from the sound mix being a bit weird in parts compared to the other movies in the series (the music is weirdly quiet). Looking forward to Ballerina.

8/10 at least

Swordsman

Really enjoyed John Wick 4, (digital in UK/EU today) apart from the sound mix being a bit weird in parts compared to the other movies in the series (the music is weirdly quiet). Looking forward to Ballerina.

8/10 at least
Perfect ending for JW4.. but is there a need for spin off ?

If only they could have use the same actress for Ballerina.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Evil Dead Rise

Enjoyable enough. Proper gory and a decent homage to the originals although like others have said it never really goes for the comedy as much. Just realised I never saw the 2013 version either.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Scream VI
I thought this was the best one since the original two films. Just hope my wife wasn't so good at guessing it all! Worth a watch 6.5/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Reality

Really absorbing movie about the day Reality Winner was arrested for whistleblowing in 2017. It is an amazingly novel concept that was executed very well by the actors. It won't be for everyone, but I found it quite engaging.

7.5 / 10

Sweet Square

Say more!!
:lol:

Aster calling it “The Jewish Lord Of The Rings” is a great way to sum up the film. It reminded of a very vulgar reading of Judaism which is at the core it’s about radical anxiety - we suffer under God and even God doubts why.

There are reasons that go some way to explaining Beau problems as Aster has always been interested in trauma and it does capture both the madness/intensity and dark humour of severe anxiety. There is something very funny about having all your worries becoming true at the same time. But imo there was throughout the film a underlining anxiety that can’t and doesn’t need to be explained which is universal to pretty much everyone.

Beau Is Afraid = The Book Of Job but God is your mother.

Other elements I liked was the background comedy as it reminded me of the Naked Gun Series or even old Simpsons episodes due to how many scenes were packed with jokes but its left to the audience to find them. I’ve rewatched a few scenes again on YouTube and there’s tons of gags I missed the first time around.

And it was clearly made for one person and one person only which was Ari Aster but with the hopes it would connect with other people in some way.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Outwaters
Found footage film about 4 friends who get trapped on the Mojave desert and strange and violent things start to happen. I really wanted to like this as it tries something new with the sub genre, delving into cosmic sci-fi/horror but it was a tough watch. All the flaws of found footage were there and at times you were left for long stretches looking at a black screen. Once the horror kicks in, it gets a little unnerving and some images that will stick with you but overall, don't think I can recommend this or watch it again. The end scene was laughable stupid 3/10

Superunknown

I was struggling trying to find something to watch the other night and I was in a very specific mood about what I wanted. Something that wasn't too big in scale, but just nice and comforting. I watched The Vast of Night a few months back, which is personally one of my favourite types of science-fiction. Like those short stories you read as a kid. All about carefully crafted storytelling rather than going for anything flashy or too over the top and out of keeping with the rest of the film. So I spent a few moments trying to find something of that equivalent, and came across Cosmos.

Never heard of it, didn't know the directors or the actors. Reading up on it, it's a marvel. It's a UK based film (set in the UK, UK actors) but American produced and backed. The amazing thing is that the budget is ridiculously low. It was all made on a $7000 budget, filmed with a $600 camera, which is just mindboggling. It's a real labour of love. I personally thought the film was great. Again, like those classic sci-fi short stories from many years ago. It's got a very simple premise - 3 guys are in a mysterious part of the woods looking for radio signals/tracking satellites and pick up a strange signal. There are one or two places in the finale where it does become a little over the top and a bit too dramatic, but I loved thought and interpreted it as the filmmakers just trying to have fun and hoping to inject some late-stage action. It's said that they were aiming for a classic Amblin-era style of sci-fi (:drool:), which I think they definitely achieved. Loved it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I was struggling trying to find something to watch the other night and I was in a very specific mood about what I wanted. Something that wasn't too big in scale, but just nice and comforting. I watched The Vast of Night a few months back, which is personally one of my favourite types of science-fiction. Like those short stories you read as a kid. All about carefully crafted storytelling rather than going for anything flashy or too over the top and out of keeping with the rest of the film. So I spent a few moments trying to find something of that equivalent, and came across Cosmos.

Never heard of it, didn't know the directors or the actors. Reading up on it, it's a marvel. It's a UK based film (set in the UK, UK actors) but American produced and backed. The amazing thing is that the budget is ridiculously low. It was all made on a $7000 budget, filmed with a $600 camera, which is just mindboggling. It's a real labour of love. I personally thought the film was great. Again, like those classic sci-fi short stories from many years ago. It's got a very simple premise - 3 guys are in a mysterious part of the woods looking for radio signals/tracking satellites and pick up a strange signal. There are one or two places in the finale where it does become a little over the top and a bit too dramatic, but I loved thought and interpreted it as the filmmakers just trying to have fun and hoping to inject some late-stage action. It's said that they were aiming for a classic Amblin-era style of sci-fi (:drool:), which I think they definitely achieved. Loved it.
I know one of the directors, well sort of. I'm currently trying to make a sub $10,000 experimental horror feature and he's giving me loads of advice. Really nice guy.

Superunknown

I know one of the directors, well sort of. I'm currently trying to make a sub $10,000 experimental horror feature and he's giving me loads of advice. Really nice guy.
Sick. I'm still in awe that they managed to get any kind of film made with that low a budget. Best of luck with your film, hope you can get that going. It's nice to have more films at that end of the scale as not everything has to be earth-shatteringly expensive.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Sick. I'm still in awe that they managed to get any kind of film made with that low a budget. Best of luck with your film, hope you can get that going. It's nice to have more films at that end of the scale as not everything has to be earth-shatteringly expensive.
Films can be made on budgets like this if you know the right people or have the right skills and don't go overly ambitious with it.

For example, the film I want to make has a small story like Hereditary and a simple shooting look like Skinamarink. I am an editor by trade and know loads of people in post production so that whole bit will essentially be free for me. And in terms of the actual production, I've assembled a small, talented crew that all have the same goal so it's not too expensive.

I am looking forward to making this and having people here review and call it shit :lol:

Drawfull

Thelma and Louise (Criterion release)

The 4K/HDR is really great especially compared to my (1080 no HDR) iTunes copy; if you haven't watched it go and do so. Go and buy it.

I could moan about it only being DTS 5.1, but it's such a great film Criterion are off the hook. Not sure what's on the third disc, but there's a nice booklet that teases script - I thought it was going to be the whole script which would have been amazing, but no - nonetheless it's a good release and a great movie.

9.99/10

Sweet Square

Thelma and Louise (Criterion release)

The 4K/HDR is really great especially compared to my (1080 no HDR) iTunes copy; if you haven't watched it go and do so. Go and buy it.

I could moan about it only being DTS 5.1, but it's such a great film Criterion are off the hook. Not sure what's on the third disc, but there's a nice booklet that teases script - I thought it was going to be the whole script which would have been amazing, but no - nonetheless it's a good release and a great movie.

9.99/10
It’s up there with Ridley best works. Brilliant film.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
You‘re director? Producer? Both?
Or Mr. Cage by any chance?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
John Wick 4
Actually a decent slice of fun. Silly and mad of course. But fun.
Also, the lighting is absolutely incredible. Unsure who is responsible, but it’s one of the best lit movies of any genre that I’ve seen in ages. Properly beautiful and worth watching just for that.
7/10

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

Old
M.Night serving up a steaming pile of shite once again. Terrible movie. Absurd ending. Can we please stop giving this man money? Give him a milli per great idea and a cut of the box office. Let someone else make it. He pisses away solid premises like no other.
1/10

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I thought Babylon was pretty great. All over the place, but an experience I enjoyed

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You‘re director? Producer? Both?
Or Mr. Cage by any chance?
I direct films in my spare time as that's what I want to get into and have been making shorts for a while but am working towards a feature next. I wish I was Nic Cage... I legit tried to leave him my pension but my wife didn't let me :lol:
Old
M.Night serving up a steaming pile of shite once again. Terrible movie. Absurd ending. Can we please stop giving this man money? Give him a milli per great idea and a cut of the box office. Let someone else make it. He pisses away solid premises like no other.
1/10
The less budget he gets the better his films are. Look at something like The Visit. Small in scale but cool concept and decent execution. Give him money and he makes bullshit like After Earth and The Happening. With that being said, The Happening did have one of my favourite scenes of all time (for all the wrong reasons) :lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
AIR - meh, that was underhwelming. I thought it's a decent story made pretty boring and unispiring in crucial moments with some average dialogue. Ben Affleck did better bith as an actor and director.

Jordan not being played by some lookalike actor with so little text is stupid, I thought it was because some image rights, but turns out it was their random decision. Chris Tucker got really old.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I direct films in my spare time as that's what I want to get into and have been making shorts for a while but am working towards a feature next. I wish I was Nic Cage... I legit tried to leave him my pension but my wife didn't let me :lol:

The less budget he gets the better his films are. Look at something like The Visit. Small in scale but cool concept and decent execution. Give him money and he makes bullshit like After Earth and The Happening. With that being said, The Happening did have one of my favourite scenes of all time (for all the wrong reasons) :lol:

The Visit has one of the single best scenes in cinema. Incredible in every way. Obviously the entire X number of minutes up to that point sell it, but that FaceTime scene is impeccable. Probably cost peanuts to film too.

You’re right. He’s a big ideas And small budget guy. Nobody seems willing to cut his ego off though.

Wing Attack Plan R

Triple Frontier, (2019), with Charlie Hunnam, Ben Affkeck, Oscar Isaac, Pedro Pascal.

Intriguing cast, kind of a something-for-everyone approach. Ostensibly about a team of ex-soldiers who rip off a drug lord. It’s another example of Netflix getting fleeced/steamrolled on an original. It has a bloated running time of 125 minutes, which means it’s about 20 minutes too long straight from the word boo. I made it 20 minutes and they were still in the recruit the team phase. They made several passable actors look totally inept, Ben Affkeck was wooden and lumbering, Hunnam was doing some bizarre variation of a New Yawk accent, and every scene dragged. I gave up. It was supposed to be an action heist thriller, like a Peter Berg film, but it was lifeless. Also Hunnam sucks.
2/10