Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Swordsman

Lucky Number Slevin

As an avid fan of Guy Ritchie's films, I can't help but notice how similar "Lucky Number Slevin" is to many of his films after watching the trailer. And I'm not wrong. Although the dialogue isn't as humorous as those in Guy Ritchie's films, the way the plot unfolds is pretty much the same which is what made those films fantastic.

The cinematography is beautiful, the dialogues are clever and the ending is well woven. And just when you think you've gotten the whole picture, it throws you a surprise piece of the puzzle that you seem to missed.

PS: "Kansa City Shuffle" is actually a pretty interesting "Plot" Element

Swordsman

The Man From Earth

The whole film sets in the home of the Professor and the conversation between him and his colleagues. It's amazing how a film with no actions, no special effects and everything is presented with mere words is able to draw me into it. I didn't even wanna pause it to go to the washroom.

With revelations after revelations made by John Oldman that will make you go WTF, you'll wish the film doesn't end.

The final twist in the film is totally unexpected and is definitely the biggest WTF moment.

I'm ready to give this film a 10/10. Something I have not done for a long time.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Man From Earth

The whole film sets in the home of the Professor and the conversation between him and his colleagues. It's amazing how a film with no actions, no special effects and everything is presented with mere words is able to draw me into it. I didn't even wanna pause it to go to the washroom.

With revelations after revelations made by John Oldman that will make you go WTF, you'll wish the film doesn't end.

The final twist in the film is totally unexpected and is definitely the biggest WTF moment.

This one is on my list.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Man From Earth

I remember enjoying it but perhaps not this much.

Swordsman

Phone Booth

There are many films that sets in one location but not many can deliver as much thrill as "Phone Booth".

I watched this with 5.1 surround, and although it seems unnecessary for a film with a guy on the phone, watching this loud and in surround is a must. Watch this with at least a pair of earphones if you do not have a decent sound system. The voice on the other side of the phone, that extremely calm voice with perfect diction and presented in super clarity sends chills down my spine every single time he spoke. Even though he sounded intelligent and calm, you can sense the sociopath in the voice without even seeing him.

The fast paced plot came to a climax that it deserves. The climax, together with its sound effects makes your heart stop for a few seconds, something your heart needs after pumping blood vigorously for the past hour.

Highly Recommended.

Swordsman

Primer

So you think Memento is mindfarking. Or whatever film you think is mindblowing. But trust me, you haven't seen one until you've seen Primer.

My recommendation is to watch Primer with subtitles. The film is made to be confusing on purpose. As far as I know, most people are not able to understand it fully on their first watch and will usually rely on googling to resolve the story. No matter how hard you try to keep up, I'm pretty sure you'll be lost around 3/4 into the film. But trust me, it's all worth it.

There's no better closing to this than a picture.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Man From Earth

I also really loved this movie. It's so well written. There's a sequel but I heard it's shit so I haven't seen it.

Unam333

The Man From Earth

Thanks. It's on my watch list now.
Where did you watch it?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
An astronaut land on earth during the Mesozoic era and has to find a way out with a young girl he finds there. I loved the premise and there's a couple of good scenes and decent performance by Adam Driver but the film is a bit slow and boring and I was yawning throughout. Too much filler, felt like a straight to Netflix movie you would put on your watchlist but never actually watch 3.5/10

Hatching

Finnish movie about a young gymnast and her overbearing mother. The gymnast finds an egg that reveals a sinister force upon hatching. I'm not a huge fan of coming of age stories. Heavy handed metaphors and a bit plodding, it has its moments and gets much better in the second half. Didn't need the horror elements 5/10

Swordsman

An astronaut land on earth during the Mesozoic era and has to find a way out with a young girl he finds there. I loved the premise and there's a couple of good scenes and decent performance by Adam Driver but the film is a bit slow and boring and I was yawning throughout. Too much filler, felt like a straight to Netflix movie you would put on your watchlist but never actually watch 3.5/10

Hatching

Finnish movie about a young gymnast and her overbearing mother. The gymnast finds an egg that reveals a sinister force upon hatching. I'm not a huge fan of coming of age stories. Heavy handed metaphors and a bit plodding, it has its moments and gets much better in the second half. Didn't need the horror elements 5/10
I just realized the thread title is movie review thread and not Recommended movie thread.

I was wondering why you posted low scored movie.

Swordsman

Mr Brooks

A psychological thriller about a man who is sometimes controlled by his murder-and-mayhem-loving alter ego.

This is not your ordinary serial killer movie. It's smart and at the same time eerie. The ending gave me chills, sending me screaming for more. Mr Brooks is meant to be a trilogy and sadly it seems like sequel won't become a reality.

pauldyson1uk

Me and my pal @pauldyson1uk mainly watch bottom of the bargain bin tripe so if this thread was about good movies... We would never post :lol:
Personally I love crappy films, crappy disaster films are my fav, yeah there crap and yeah I moan about them.
Bottom of the bin tripe, :lol: some of the stuff I watch is not even that good :D

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Mr Brooks

A psychological thriller about a man who is sometimes controlled by his murder-and-mayhem-loving alter ego.

This is not your ordinary serial killer movie. It's smart and at the same time eerie. The ending gave me chills, sending me screaming for more. Mr Brooks is meant to be a trilogy and sadly it seems like sequel won't become a reality.
Not seen this , reads decent on imdb, I will add it to my list.

pauldyson1uk

I just realized the thread title is movie review thread and not Recommended movie thread.

I was wondering why you posted low scored movie.
Why cant it be both ?
I have watched many films that I have recomended and a lot I would not :lol:
Look though my postings and you will see lots of reviews of film that get way below this score.
That is the point of the thread, well I think so, watch a film, review it and recommend it or not.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
any good hostage rescue/ negotiation film to recommend ?

I have watched The Negotiator.
'Proof of Life' with Russell Crowe & Meg Ryan is the one that immediately springs to mind.

Both Waco miniseries with Michael Shannon are quite good. Shannon plays the lead FBI negotiator during the siege & much of the story revolves around him.

The agent's name is Gary Noesner, he wrote a very good book about the siege...

https://garynoesner.com/

Swordsman

'Proof of Life' with Russell Crowe & Meg Ryan is the one that immediately springs to mind.

Both Waco miniseries with Michael Shannon are quite good. Shannon plays the lead FBI negotiator during the siege & much of the story revolves around him.

The agent's name is Gary Noesner, he wrote a very good book about the siege...

https://garynoesner.com/
thanks. will watch those.

Swordsman

Frequency

"Frequency" has to be one of the top Time Travel film of all time. It's not exactly a time travelling film but well, it kinda falls under the same category.

The concept was extremely original and the script well written. You kinda expect lots of loopholes in any Time Travel films but "Frequency" covered most of them pretty well. It saves you from lots of crappy scientific explanation and jumps straight into the action. The story is gripping and at the same time, heartwarming.

The whole film kept me at the edge of my seat wanting to know what is going to happen next. With a few surprises here and there, there's absolutely no way to guess the outcome of the movie. "Frequency" definitely deserves a spot on my list.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw Air yesterday. I thought it was a fun watch. You shouldn't think about it too long, cause it's a feel-good film about marketing (it's not at all a sports film; the Jordan context makes the story big enough for a film but is largely a MacGuffin), but if you ignore that aspect, it's still a fun little feel-good film. I personally also quite liked how they pushed the 1984 setting, especially through the music. I can't believe how this film supposedly cost US$70-90M though (according to Wikipedia). If an indie group had made this, it could easily have been done for under 10M. What a waste of money! Anyway, I'd give it 3/5.

I also saw Captain Nova, a Dutch film about a woman travelling back from the near future to stop a company from starting a project that will lead to an immediate climate catastrophe and completely ruin the earth within 25 years. However, as she travels 25 years back, she also loses 25 years of age, so she arrives as 12 year old. What follows is a sort of roadmovie with the other teenager who finds it, while a special agent is after them. It's not a pursuit thriller though, more like a quiet road trip with short bits of action. The plot is a little simplistic and somewhat silly here and there, but overall, it's a really good watch, very enjoyable. It's on Netflix over here, which says it's TV-14; but both my kids are (much) younger and really enjoyed it - so I'll give it 4/5.

Swordsman

I saw Air yesterday. I thought it was a fun watch. You shouldn't think about it too long, cause it's a feel-good film about marketing (it's not at all a sports film; the Jordan context makes the story big enough for a film but is largely a MacGuffin), but if you ignore that aspect, it's still a fun little feel-good film. I personally also quite liked how they pushed the 1984 setting, especially through the music. I can't believe how this film supposedly cost US$70-90M though (according to Wikipedia). If an indie group had made this, it could easily have been done for under 10M. What a waste of money! Anyway, I'd give it 3/5.

I also saw Captain Nova, a Dutch film about a woman travelling back from the near future to stop a company from starting a project that will lead to an immediate climate catastrophe and completely ruin the earth within 25 years. However, as she travels 25 years back, she also loses 25 years of age, so she arrives as 12 year old. What follows is a sort of roadmovie with the other teenager who finds it, while a special agent is after them. It's not a pursuit thriller though, more like a quiet road trip with short bits of action. The plot is a little simplistic and somewhat silly here and there, but overall, it's a really good watch, very enjoyable. It's on Netflix over here, which says it's TV-14; but both my kids are (much) younger and really enjoyed it - so I'll give it 4/5.
I enjoyed Air. good thing they didn't show Jordan face (the actor) in the film.

Sweet Square

Beau Is Afraid
Loved it although will really need to give it a second watch.

Also somewhat predictable

I was the only person in my cinema as well. Very weird experience

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Is 'Looper' as good as the reviews make it out to be?
I really enjoyed it. It’s a bit silly but interesting plot overall. Whatshisface-Gordon Levitt has this face technology to make him look more like Bruce Willis in the movie.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I was the only person in my cinema as well. Very weird experience
I go to see films in cinema in a second-run cinema near where I live. The building used to be my town's 'proper' cinema, so they do have full-sized theatres, it's just all a little worn-down now. It's not a very popular place and I don't go to blockbuster-type films often, so I'm almost always alone. A little surprising at first, but now I actually appreciate it! :D